ADVERTISEMENT

New Football Coach

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
After Marshall's safeties coach/recruiting coordinator left for an inferior position at Florida State (analyst) only to then jump over to Colorado State in an inferior position (just safeties coach), the Herd was in need of filling that spot.

They ended up filling it with Jordon Hankins who has coached the last 10 years at UT-Martin (yeah, that appears to be Marshall's AAA team).

Hankins was the defensive coordinator at UT-Martin the last three years, and they finished 59th in the country in total defense this year. It is a good hire, as he will fit right in with the rest of the Herd staff: mediocre.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
@riflearm2: I've tried for years on this site to avoid personal attacks, but I have to say you are one of those posters who make it hard. I don't know you personally. I didn't know you as a player, and I never met you when you were coaching. My only window to know you has been on this site, which has been both good and bad. You are obviously knowledgeable about many topics, especially college sports. You have a unique perspective, having played at the D1 level and coached there, as well. Your arguments are usually sound and rational, and supported as thoroughly as a masters' dissertation. And I do look forward to getting your perspective on many of the topics on this site.

But then there is the bitterness that comes out in your posts. The petty bragging and constant name-calling. And threads like this one, where you needlessly cut down a new hire.

Is Jordan Hankins a great safeties coach? I don't know. But it does only seem fair to let him get his feet on the field at Marshall before dubbing him "mediocre."

Listen, I'm not trying to start a fight. I just wish you gave more of that valuable insight with a whole lot less of the nastiness.

Any word on a new strength coach? Pretty sure the last one bolted for App State.

We do have a new strength coach.
skinny.jpg

Unfortunately, this is all Marshall "could afford".

The petty bragging

I apologize if I have any misspellings or typos in this post. I just bought a Bentley Continental GT, and I am not used to handling it yet, so typing on my phone while driving is more difficult than usual, especially since I am driving fast due to being late picking up the former model that I am dating.

and constant name-calling.

I only name-call those who attack or call me names first.

And threads like this one, where you needlessly cut down a new hire.

I didn't cut him down. Calling him "mediocre" based on his defense is a compliment when compared to the majority of the Herd staff.

Is Jordan Hankins a great safeties coach?

It's "Jordon" with two "Os." They left out the "A", so that more deserving coaches could have that letter to grade their coaching ability.

(My other option was: It's "Jordon" with two "Os." His parents were clearly some of Doc's numerous non-qualifiers and had trouble with spelling).

Judge, rifle is very smart, but the issue is that he's the text book definition of a narcissist. At one point he wanted a job at Marshall, but couldn't even get a reply text, let alone a returned call. Being a class A narcissist, not only can he not take rejection, he can't even comprehend it. He has to always be right and be able to prove it. That's what led him to sue his former employer, thereby burning bridges in the profession. He'll never see that or admit it, but that's what he did to himself.

Sad thing is he probably is a very good coach, which is why he puts down every Marshall hire because he believes he is a better option. He doesn't understand, or won't acknowledge that his actions and personality are his downfall.

He'll be compelled to reply to the post with the supposed countless offers he has had to coach since that lawsuit, but the truth is that was his last coaching job. People simply don't hire people that have a history of suing their employer. He'll also brag about his Rolodex and all the contacts he has, claim he could be coaching tomorrow, but would only take a job if it's perfect for him (that's just the narcissism in him).

Rifle has been around since the beginning and he undoubtedly cares about Marshall athletics... If you read his posts, the one area where he is usually pretty spot on is coaching. He knows a ton of coaches and he understands who is going to be a good fit and who will not.

Darn it. The title of this thread had me all excited only to be disappointed when I read it was a new assistant coach and not a head coach.

ahhhh there it is. Dynamite drop In. I saw you had replied and was expecting a break down of last nights b-ball game or how our football program is a mess right now per your sources. Instead it’s just a lame jab at our successful football coach. I’ll get back to waiting for rifles reply to banker...

ahhhh there it is. Dynamite drop In. I saw you had replied and was expecting a break down of last nights b-ball game or how our football program is a mess right now per your sources. Instead it’s just a lame jab at our successful football coach. I’ll get back to waiting for rifles reply to banker...
You can always go back to herdhaven. That way you don’t have to worry about anyone taking a “lame jab” at Marshall’s “successful football coach.” Really, you won’t have to worry about anyone posting at all.

I can't wait to hear Aaron explain how John did an unbelievable job leading us to a 5-7 record next year. Then, the day after he is fired, Aaron will say that he never really liked John anyway.

Reactions: mlblack16.
I’m going to be perfectly honest here, I have a bad feeling about next season. There’s really nothing that truly makes me think we have a shot at having a successful season. The offense will probably be its average self yet again, only now without our best WR. Unless Knox goes over 1,000 yards again, our offense could be flat out bad assuming Green is his same self. Defensively, I don’t see how we get any better. Probably will take a step down even. Hopefully, I’m wrong and maybe some new additions can help, but I’m seeing like maybe 6-6 right now.

Reactions: johns1124
I can't wait to hear Aaron explain how John did an unbelievable job leading us to a 5-7 record next year. Then, the day after he is fired, Aaron will say that he never really liked John anyway.

"He left us high and dry, etc., etc..."

My crank does the same exact thing when your wife touches it.

But which part do you want me to prove? . . . pictures of me with the former model along with some video/stories of and about her (which really isn't that unusual considering I've had long relationships with very successful models signed to international agencies before) or the pictures of me and/or a Marshall hat inside my Bentley?

Judge, rifle is very smart,

Talk about an understatement. That's like saying "Michael Jordan is a good basketball player" or "Jenna Jameson is promiscuous."

Being a class A narcissist, not only can he not take rejection, he can't even comprehend it.
giphy.gif

It had nothing to do with being "rejected." It had everything to do with basic professional courtesy, something he severely lacks. I'm far from the only former Marshall player to have experienced that with him.

That's what led him to sue his former employer, thereby burning bridges in the profession. He'll never see that or admit it, but that's what he did to himself.

Hardly. I've had one head coach ever ask me about it since then, and he hired me and thought it was courageous and ethical for me to do. I can give you a long, long list of coaches who have litigated against schools or schools that have litigated against coaches. When there is a legal basis for it, rational people understand the need for it.

but the truth is that was his last coaching job.
giphy.gif

I was a full-time quarterbacks coach at an FCS after that lawsuit where my QB was in the top 10 in the country, as a sophomore, in passing yards per game, total offense per game, TD/INT ratio, and yards per completion. I also led us to a #9 national recruiting ranking against all odds.

I was then an analyst (with the title of outside linebackers coach and the special teams coordinator in waiting) at an FBS two years after the lawsuit was settled. There, both of my OLBs signed NFL contracts (well, one is a month away from doing it), and I led us to a #1 conference recruiting ranking.

I know numbers are difficult for you, but this should be easy for you.

People simply don't hire people that have a history of suing their employer.

Suing one employer who simply didn't pay what they were contractually obligated to do doesn't amount of much of a "history of suing their employer." Further, not a single AD or head coach would have an issue with it, as it's no secret about the shenanigans that go on at most HBCUs in athletics.

The lawsuit has simply not impacted my coaching in any way.

He'll also brag about his Rolodex and all the contacts he has, claim he could be coaching tomorrow, but would only take a job if it's perfect for him (that's just the narcissism in him).

Well, yeah, that's all true. Your claim is that the lawsuit resulted in me being unhireable, even though I coached at both an FCS and FBS after the lawsuit was settled, and that my claims are false. Great analysis. Perhaps, you should argue about how the college football playoff helped Army win a lot of national championships 50+ years ago.

Didn't rifle literally get black-balled by the former coach of Bethune Cookman?

Yeah, "black-balled" by a coach who then had multiple investigations on him at his next school, got canned less than two seasons after being hired as head coach, then got fired about a year later at another school after being arrested for domestic assault.

His word sure has a lot of validity and credit.

Let me ask you Aaron, what do you seriously think our record will be next year if you had to venture a guess?

I’m not going to go into all that because you know I am not picking against Marshall. There is no one on our schedule next year that a win over would be a monumental upset so me saying 12-0 is not crazy.

my thing is people are saying we are going to go from 8-4 to 5-7 but

we return 80 percent of our starting offensive line
All running backs
Multiple tight ends
All but one WR and we went 2-2 with the one we lost including the loss to Charlotte
We return a ton of talent on defense including the expected return of Yulee
La tech and western will have new qbs
Ecu was 4-8
Ohio trended down and loses their starting an
We get fau at home

I don’t see how we could be any worse than the 8-4 regular season we just had

I’m not going to go into all that because you know I am not picking against Marshall. There is no one on our schedule next year that a win over would be a monumental upset so me saying 12-0 is not crazy.

All running backs
Multiple tight ends
All but one WR and we went 2-2 with the one we lost including the loss to Charlotte
Ecu was 4-8
We get fau at home

Hot dang, 8-4 right in Doc's wheelhouse. Maybe 2nd in the division again.

I could see us going 4 and 8 also

All running backs
Multiple tight ends
Ecu was 4-8
We get fau at home

U better rethink about Yulee. I'm hearing different.

U better rethink about Yulee. I'm hearing different.

You hearing he may transfer? It wouldn’t surprise me if he did.

We’ve got a lot of holes to fill on defense but we may be able to be ok there. Bottom line, if the offense doesn’t drastically improve, it’s going to be a disaster year.

Reactions: horsrman
You hearing he may transfer? It wouldn’t surprise me if he did.

We’ve got a lot of holes to fill on defense but we may be able to be ok there. Bottom line, if the offense doesn’t drastically improve, it’s going to be a disaster year.

the point I am trying to make is why does it have to “drastically improve” to avoid a disaster hear. The “as is” offense won 8 games.

the point I am trying to make is why does it have to “drastically improve” to avoid a disaster hear. The “as is” offense won 8 games.

That's the same trap everybody fell in to after the 2015 season. Heck, we won 10 games, QB is coming back, we lose a few guys but almost everyone is back.

People didn't stop to look how bad the schedule was, how every bounce went our way and how we were winning with things that don't last, like defensive and special teams TDs. We were unbelievably fortunate to win 10 games in 2015 and were just as fortunate to win 8 this year.

ADVERTISEMENT