ADVERTISEMENT

New Football Hire

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
Doc has hired a former Marshall GA to be a defensive analyst/recruiting coordinator. Mike Treier, a defensive GA at Marshall from 2013-2015, just finished his first year coaching defensive backs at UT-Martin.

I don't believe he played college football. His resume includes being an assistant high school coach while a college student, his two years as a Marshall GA, and his one year as an FCS coach. It is odd to see an FCS coach with only one year of full-time experience take a G5 off-field position.

In looking around C-USA, there seems to be a wide gap between Doc's strategy of hiring off-field positions and what other C-USA head coaches are doing.

At FAU, Kiffin hired a defensive analyst (same title as the new Marshall hire) who has been a DC at Nebraska, Arkansas, Tennessee, and USC. He has also spent 20+ years coaching in the NFL, most of which were as a DC. He also created the Tampa Two coverage. His last two years were as a defensive analyst with two different NFL teams.

FAU also hired another off-field position in a recruiting role. This coach has been a full-time coach at LSU (when they won the national title), UCLA, UCF, Nevada, and has spent many years coaching FCS and high school in Florida.

Western Kentucky made an analyst hire. His experience includes playing D3 ball, coaching D3 ball, being an FBS GA, spending 4 years as an FBS analyst, and spending a season as an FBS special teams coordinator.

Middle Tennessee made an off-field hire. He has been a recruiting analyst at Tennessee and Western Michigan.

Old Dominion made a recent off-field hire for their assistant recruiting coordinator (similar to part of Treier's title). He has been at South Carolina, North Carolina, and Wake Forest in recruiting positions.

Louisiana Tech recently hired a recruiting coordinator. He has been an assistant recruiting coordinator at LA Tech and spent two years in recruiting at Florida State.

UTSA hired an off-field guy. He will also be in recruiting and has spent 8 years in recruiting positions at LSU and Maryland. UTSA also hired an analyst who played in the NFL for nine years.

Southern Miss has an off-field guy who played at Georgia Southern, was a GA for four years at Georgia Southern and Memphis, and was at an FCS for four years in a coaching position and recruiting role.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see the salaries being paid to these hires by their respective schools, given the vast discrepancies in their experience as noted in the original post. Can't believe that Kiffin is paying the same kind of $$$$ to the experienced hire at FAU that Doc is giving to his relatively inexperienced hire!

Doc has hired a former Marshall GA to be a defensive analyst/recruiting coordinator. Mike Treier, a defensive GA at Marshall from 2013-2015, just finished his first year coaching defensive backs at UT-Martin.

I don't believe he played college football. His resume includes being an assistant high school coach while a college student, his two years as a Marshall GA, and his one year as an FCS coach. It is odd to see an FCS coach with only one year of full-time experience take a G5 off-field position.

In looking around C-USA, there seems to be a wide gap between Doc's strategy of hiring off-field positions and what other C-USA head coaches are doing.

At FAU, Kiffin hired a defensive analyst (same title as the new Marshall hire) who has been a DC at Nebraska, Arkansas, Tennessee, and USC. He has also spent 20+ years coaching in the NFL, most of which were as a DC. He also created the Tampa Two coverage. His last two years were as a defensive analyst with two different NFL teams.

FAU also hired another off-field position in a recruiting role. This coach has been a full-time coach at LSU (when they won the national title), UCLA, UCF, Nevada, and has spent many years coaching FCS and high school in Florida.

Western Kentucky made an analyst hire. His experience includes playing D3 ball, coaching D3 ball, being an FBS GA, spending 4 years as an FBS analyst, and spending a season as an FBS special teams coordinator.

Middle Tennessee made an off-field hire. He has been a recruiting analyst at Tennessee and Western Michigan.

Old Dominion made a recent off-field hire for their assistant recruiting coodinator (similar to part of Treier's title). He has been at South Carolina, North Carolina, and Wake Forest in recruiting positions.

Louisiana Tech recently hired a recruiting coordinator. He has been an assistant recruiting coordinator at LA Tech and spent two years in recruiting at Florida State.

UTSA hired an off-field guy. He will also be in recruiting and has spent 8 years in recruiting positions at LSU and Maryland. UTSA also hired an analyst who played in the NFL for nine years.

Southern Miss has an off-field guy who played at Georgia Southern, was a GA for four years at Georgia Southern and Memphis, and was at an FCS for four years in a coaching position and recruiting role.
Good info. Informative post!

I trust Doc and his ability to make the right hires.

That's a lot of faith considering recent history.

Read this article folks. If the guy was clueless Doc would know.He was a GA here before.

Nobody ever said the guy was clueless or that you had to play major college football to be a good/successful coach. There were a couple of issues to discuss:

1) His resume, especially compared to what other head coaches are hiring in C-USA for these positions, lacks a ton of experience.

2) The guy left a full-time (assuming) FCS coaching spot for an off-field G5 spot. That is very rare. The overwhelming number of off-field guys at P5 schools would take an FCS full-time spot if offered. The true elites (Alabama, Michigan, and a few others) may be able to get some guys in off-field spots who turn down FBS/FCS on-field offers, but it is very rare for that to happen at a G5. In fact, I can't ever recall a full-time FCS coach leaving to be off-field at a G5. In saying that, this is all speculation; maybe he was a restricted earnings coach (doubtful considering his title there), maybe he left not of his own choosing (again, doubtful, considering they had a good defense), maybe he just wanted to get to an FBS regardless of his position, maybe he was promised another role next year when the 10th assistant is approved.

It's all speculation, but the questions are fair ones to ask.

Nobody ever said the guy was clueless or that you had to play major college football to be a good/successful coach. There were a couple of issues to discuss:

1) His resume, especially compared to what other head coaches are hiring in C-USA for these positions, lacks a ton of experience.

2) The guy left a full-time (assuming) FCS coaching spot for an off-field G5 spot. That is very rare. The overwhelming number of off-field guys at P5 schools would take an FCS full-time spot if offered. The true elites (Alabama, Michigan, and a few others) may be able to get some guys in off-field spots who turn down FBS/FCS on-field offers, but it is very rare for that to happen at a G5. In fact, I can't ever recall a full-time FCS coach leaving to be off-field at a G5. In saying that, this is all speculation; maybe he was a restricted earnings coach (doubtful considering his title there), maybe he left not of his own choosing (again, doubtful, considering they had a good defense), maybe he just wanted to get to an FBS regardless of his position, maybe he was promised another role next year when the 10th assistant is approved.

okay here is a question. How does the pay for staff at Marshall other than HC and DC/OC line up? Does Marshall have the money to get better more qualified staff? I have always felt we do pretty good with what we have to work with in terms of money for coaches and facilities.

In light of all the financial woes in our state to me begs the question how many coaches does Doc need? I mean this is nothing more than trying to keep up with other institutions that can afford additional coaches and staff. Who is going to foot the bill for this? Realize we have one less home game this year yet season ticket prices remained the same as last year.
Anyone ever wonder why the ticket prices (season) were not reduced?

Considering he was an excellent GA at MU in technical analysis and an outstanding recruiter of FL while he was at MU then the hire is likely a good one. Did I forget to mention that most of the players on the team that were here when he was have a high level of respect for him. By the way, we don't have 200-300K to throw around for an off-field position, and Kiffin is getting the highly experienced coaches he has gotten because of his name and the fact that they may be able to ride his coattails to a P5 job if he is successful at FAU.

Reactions: ohio herd
In light of all the financial woes in our state to me begs the question how many coaches does Doc need? I mean this is nothing more than trying to keep up with other institutions that can afford additional coaches and staff. Who is going to foot the bill for this? Realize we have one less home game this year yet season ticket prices remained the same as last year.

This isn't an extra coach, this is Dunn's replacement.

Every school gets 9 on field positions and an off-field position with new legislation. Our coaches are already just middle of the pack in CUSA in pay, work long hours, and you think they should work more than those at other schools? Do you know how valuable having a coaching that specializes in analysis and recruiting is in today's college football? I just don't see any reason to criticize the hire of a young coach when Doc has a track record of developing good young coaches that go on to good jobs at big schools.

Considering he was an excellent GA at MU in technical analysis and an outstanding recruiter of FL while he was at MU then the hire is likely a good one. Did I forget to mention that most of the players on the team that were here when he was have a high level of respect for him. By the way, we don't have 200-300K to throw around for an off-field position, and Kiffin is getting the highly experienced coaches he has gotten because of his name and the fact that they may be able to ride his coattails to a P5 job if he is successful at FAU.
I guess we get this guy because we are stuck with Doc.

By the way, we don't have 200-300K to throw around for an off-field position,

None of the guys I listed who were recently hired at C-USA schools are making anything close to that salary range. Yet, they have far more experience, at far bigger schools, with far more success.

Doc has a track record of developing good young coaches that go on to good jobs at big schools.

Really? Name all of the young coaches under Doc who have gone on to big schools.

Usually, a program with three straight 10 win seasons is raided by bigger programs. So, if he has a track record of doing that, it should be easy to list a lot of them.

None of the guys I listed who were recently hired at C-USA schools are making anything close to that salary range. Yet, they have far more experience, at far bigger schools, with far more success.

Really? Name all of the young coaches under Doc who have gone on to big schools.

Usually, a program with three straight 10 win seasons is raided by bigger programs. So, if he has a track record of doing that, it should be easy to list a lot of them.

Y.A.G., I would say its a mixed bag. The D coordinator before Heater who was canned ended up at some Eastern school, I believe, perhaps at the D2 level. Furrey, the ex pro player/receiver, left for head coaching job at KY Christian. Can't blame someone if a coach wants a head job even at a lower level.

Lost the ex WVU QB who recruited South Florida when he went back to the EERs for about twice the money. Lost Hartley to Georgia, an SEC program and I believe our former S&C coach went with the Dogs also. Former MU running back Thomas Brown left MU for a Big 10 job, I believe, with Wisconsin.

Reactions: ohio herd
Lost the ex WVU QB who recruited South Florida when he went back to the EERs for about twice the money. Lost Hartley to Georgia, an SEC program and I believe our former S&C coach went with the Dogs also. Former MU running back Thomas Brown left MU for a Big 10 job, I believe, with Wisconsin.

Part of a head coach's job is to retain the good coaches just like it is to beat out competitors for recruits. Losing Seider to wvu and Brown to Wisconsin isn't a knock on Doc. That is a feather in his cap. You can't expect him to beat out bigger programs who can pay far more for coaches. Losing those coaches to better opportunities is a reflection that Doc possibly is doing a good job of helping his young assistants build and grow.

Losing Hartley, a full-time coach and recruiting coordinator, to an off-field position is not a good thing. For just about every off-field guy who aspires to be in a coaching position, they would much prefer being a full-time coach at an FBS compared with an off-field guy even at a bigger program. Losing Hartley is a knock on Doc.

So, after seven seasons, we have two names so far who have advanced their careers directly from Marshall to a better coaching position. @pdbailey said Doc has a good track record of having young coaches move on to big programs, so perhaps he can shed light on how many other instances of this has happened.

Again, a program that has three straight ten win seasons usually gets raided with better offers for many staff members.

Part of a head coach's job is to retain the good coaches just like it is to beat out competitors for recruits. Losing Seider to wvu and Brown to Wisconsin isn't a knock on Doc. That is a feather in his cap. You can't expect him to beat out bigger programs who can pay far more for coaches. Losing those coaches to better opportunities is a reflection that Doc possibly is doing a good job of helping his young assistants build and grow.

Losing Hartley, a full-time coach and recruiting coordinator, to an off-field position is not a good thing. For just about every off-field guy who aspires to be in a coaching position, they would much prefer being a full-time coach at an FBS compared with an off-field guy even at a bigger program. Losing Hartley is a knock on Doc.

So, after seven seasons, we have two names so far who have advanced their careers directly from Marshall to a better coaching position. @pdbailey said Doc has a good track record of having young coaches move on to big programs, so perhaps he can shed light on how many other instances of this has happened.

Again, a program that has three straight ten win seasons usually gets raided with better offers for many staff members.[/QUOTE

Hell, YAG, by your own words, Holgerson is worse, given that he has had more, and lost or changed, O and D coordinators at WVU than Doc has had at MU. And Holgerson has been in the Hole less seasons than Doc in Huntington. By your "logic" Holgy is a "loser", huh?

Hell, YAG, by your own words, Holgerson is worse, given that he has had more, and lost or changed, O and D coordinators at WVU than Doc has had at MU. And Holgerson has been in the Hole less seasons than Doc in Huntington. By your "logic" Holgy is a "loser", huh?

Well, I've never said Doc was a "loser," so I am not sure how you not only can put that in quotes, but worse, claim that it is my logic.

My response was to the poster's claim that he has a good track record of growing coaches who coach at better/bigger programs. I don't see that track record, especially for a program that had three straight 10 win seasons. I asked for some examples, and there has only been two given.

For your judging of Holgorsen, I would have to see where his coaches and coordinators went when they were "lost" or "changed" as you put it. If his budget allows for a $500K salary for an OC, it it a knock on him if his OC leaves for $1 million to Alabama or USC? Of course not. It's the same thing when I said Doc should be applauded for Brown going to Wisky, Seider to wvu, etc.

Sense a ton of Jealous in this post by an unemployed College coach looking for his next gig. An umemployed coach who has reached out to Doc on numerous occasions looking for a job.

As far as young Coaches go. Zach Smith is doing big things at Ohio State. Seider was the Key recruiter at WVU and is now finding his own at Florida. Thomas Brown was an Assistant S&C coach before he became a RB coach here. Now he is the OC at Miami and one of the top RB coaches in the Country. Hartley is killing it at Miami and Njoko into a First Rounder in his first year with him.

Oh and that analyst that Kiffen hired was his Pops.

Like I said, there is a ton of continued jealousy coming from the opening poster.

Sense a ton of Jealous in this post by an unemployed College coach looking for his next gig.

There are a lot of huge examples of why you are truly a dumb human being. Want to know one of them? You just can't figure out how to learn from your asinine mistakes, and you repeat them over and over.

Remember last year when you kept trying to use the old, repeated "unemployed coach" line, and I kept telling you that I had been hired? That went on for many months. Then, I posted the article mentioning me having led the FCS I had been coaching at the entire time to a #9 national FCS recruiting ranking in my first year on staff.

A month ago, you continued making the same "unemployed coach" line, and I again told you I had already been hired elsewhere. Yet, here you are again - you being on your fourth job in six months begging for an entry level job while in your thirties - still not learning from your mistakes.

Now that have made your usual attempt to turn the thread into discussing me (really, the obsession is creepy, as has been mentioned by numerous posters), how about trying to stay on topic?

Hartley doesn't fit the bill. You are trying to use that as a credit to Doc. Losing a a full-time FBS coach (not to mention who has the "recruiting coordinator" title) to an off-field position at another FBS is not good. The fact that he is now back on the field at an FBS shows that was what he wanted to do, yet he left that position under Doc to take an inferior position.

So, that leaves us with Zack Smith, Brown, and Seider. Seider already had a relationship at wvu before heading to Marshall, so it wasn't like Doc did anything for that, but your argument needs all of the help it can get, so lets count him.

That means three coaches fit the bill over seven years. That is far, far from the track record the other poster tried giving Doc credit for.

Lets make a comparison. Look at the coaching staff at North Texas for just one of their years (not seven like we are looking at for Doc). The staff in 2013 had their safeties coach become full-time at Indiana, their corners coach become full-time at Missouri (DC there), their DL coach is full-time at NC State, one GA went to Texas and then USF, one GA is now at NC State, their QB coach is now full-time at Tennessee, their WR coach is now full-time at Wyoming. Five of the nine full-time guys on that staff in just that one year in a losing program all went to better schools/positions. A sixth full-timer was retained. Two of their GAs ended up going to far bigger programs. Yet, you can only come up with three in seven years under Doc in a winning program? That's not good; not good at all.

Yes, Kiffin hired his father. There also happens to be a player personnel guy that Kiffin hired who has been full-time at LSU, UCLA, UCF, Nevada, the NFL, two FCS schools in Florida, high school in Florida. Want to compare his resume to the resume of the off-field Doc hires? How about the other eight or so other C-USA recent off-field hires that I named. Want to compare their resumes? As I said and have thoroughly proved, there is a wide disparity between what is being hired at Marshall and what is being hired throughout the rest of the conference.

There are two lines of thinking in coaching hires: 1) never hire somebody smarter than you, as they could end up with your job 2) hire smarter guys than you to do good work and make you look better as the head of a program. There seems to be a trend in Huntington with one of those lines of thought.

There are a lot of huge examples of why you are truly a dumb human being. Want to know one of them? You just can't figure out how to learn from your asinine mistakes, and you repeat them over and over.

Remember last year when you kept trying to use the old, repeated "unemployed coach" line, and I kept telling you that I had been hired? That went on for many months. Then, I posted the article mentioning me having led the FCS I had been coaching at the entire time to a #9 national FCS recruiting ranking in my first year on staff.

A month ago, you continued making the same "unemployed coach" line, and I again told you I had already been hired elsewhere. Yet, here you are again - you being on your fourth job in six months begging for an entry level job while in your thirties - still not learning from your mistakes.

Now that have made your usual attempt to turn the thread into discussing me (really, the obsession is creepy, as has been mentioned by numerous posters), how about trying to stay on topic?

Hartley doesn't fit the bill. You are trying to use that as a credit to Doc. Losing a a full-time FBS coach (not to mention who has the "recruiting coordinator" title) to an off-field position at another FBS is not good. The fact that he is now back on the field at an FBS shows that was what he wanted to do, yet he left that position under Doc to take an inferior position.

So, that leaves us with Zack Smith, Brown, and Seider. Seider already had a relationship at wvu before heading to Marshall, so it wasn't like Doc did anything for that, but your argument needs all of the help it can get, so lets count him.

That means three coaches fit the bill over seven years. That is far, far from the track record the other poster tried giving Doc credit for.

Lets make a comparison. Look at the coaching staff at North Texas for just one of their years (not seven like we are looking at for Doc). The staff in 2013 had their safeties coach become full-time at Indiana, their corners coach become full-time at Missouri (DC there), their DL coach is full-time at NC State, one GA went to Texas and then USF, one GA is now at NC State, their QB coach is now full-time at Tennessee, their WR coach is now full-time at Wyoming. Five of the nine full-time guys on that staff in just that one year in a losing program all went to better schools/positions. A sixth full-timer was retained. Two of their GAs ended up going to far bigger programs. Yet, you can only come up with three in seven years under Doc in a winning program? That's not good; not good at all.

Yes, Kiffin hired his father. There also happens to be a player personnel guy that Kiffin hired who has been full-time at LSU, UCLA, UCF, Nevada, the NFL, two FCS schools in Florida, high school in Florida. Want to compare his resume to the resume of the off-field Doc hires? How about the other eight or so other C-USA recent off-field hires that I named. Want to compare their resumes? As I said and have thoroughly proved, there is a wide disparity between what is being hired at Marshall and what is being hired throughout the rest of the conference.

There are two lines of thinking in coaching hires: 1) never hire somebody smarter than you, as they could end up with your job 2) hire smarter guys than you to do good work and make you look better as the head of a program. There seems to be a trend in Huntington with one of those lines of thought.

After months of you saying how you wont settle for a job and had multiple opportunities to land an FBS gig that you turned down. Some way some how you ended up at an FCS transitional school for a 5 month Temp gig in middle of nowhere Texas for pennies on the dollar. There is no evidence anywhere that you got hired anywhere but i'm sure you will explain you turned down many opportunities for the right gig. I mean just a month ago you said you can work certain camps that College Coaches cant work per NCAA rules. Someone is lying here.

After months of you saying how you wont settle for a job and had multiple opportunities to land an FBS gig that you turned down.

You made that claim a month or two ago. All posts are archived on here. I told you to show me where I ever said I was offered a full-time FBS on-field position. You can't prove it, because I never made those claims.

We know you are pretty fvcking stupid, but I am not sure if you just don't know how to read or are purposely lying. I never made that claim, you continue to state that I did, yet you can't find a single post where I ever said that.

Now, Ron Turner did call me numerous times about their special teams coordinator position. He was concerned about my pending litigation at the time and if it may drag me away for a day(s) during the season. I was up front with him and told him that it was a possibility. He didn't officially offer the job, but it was there for me if I wanted to end the litigation.

for pennies on the dollar.

Do you even know what that saying means, moron? I got paid for a full year there, then when that contract ended, I was paid until the spring on the next contract. Pennies on the dollar? I made more just in football there than you did in any of your four jobs over the last six months.

There is no evidence anywhere that you got hired anywhere but i'm sure you will explain you turned down many opportunities for the right gig.

Just like there was no "evidence" last time until you found it a week into the season. Just keep Googling my name, stalker, and eventually you will get the proof.

As I told you last time, many schools don't have hiring practices where they can just go out and make a hire any day. They have certain hiring periods they can officially hire somebody with paperwork, direct deposits, etc.

I mean just a month ago you said you can work certain camps that College Coaches cant work per NCAA rules. Someone is lying here.

Correct. If I have not done the HR paperwork, I am not officially hired, so I can coach whatever camp that I want.

Here is an email from two months ago with a camp director in which it is also explained.

4CF075CE-9D90-4879-ACB8-F5EA9444AE07_zpsfika1wsz.jpg

Now, I have called you out dozens of times for trying to turn threads into being about me. Why are you so obsessed that you can't stay on topic in any thread you enter in where I have posted? You have to obsessively try turning the threads into being about me. Your Spanish whale has to be getting jealous of your interest in me.

Now, back on subject: if some of you are arguing that Doc has a good track record of sending coaches to better positions/programs, why can only three of them be listed in a seven year period, especially after three straight ten win seasons?

Are some of you still standing by that supposed track record?

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Why are you so obsessed with questioning every move Doc makes? Your post continue to show a continue amount of Butthurt but yes ill continue to call you out each and everytime you make these posts.

so whats the point? Is his job to see how many coaches move on to bigger schools? Is his job to see how many kids play in the NFL? Or his job to coach the Herd and try to win as many games as possible. Thus far he has done a decent job( last year excluded). This year will determine if he stays or gets the boot. I don't care how many guys he hires that fit your criteria as long as they are qualified. You have done nothing to prove he hires coaches who aren't doing their job.You say he doesn't hire smarter guys. How do you know that? There are only a small number of jobs in D-1 so I will guess most of the guys in coaching know what they are doing and many talented guys never make it to the next level.

The smart coaches are unemployed. They need to be a minority and recruiters to coach at the FBS level per Rifle.

Reactions: 19MU88
Why are you so obsessed with questioning every move Doc makes? Your post continue to show a continue amount of Butthurt but yes ill continue to call you out each and everytime you make these posts.

Your attempt to call out ends up blowing up in your face each time.

This is a sports message board centered around Marshall. Therefore, it is very common to question moves by Marshall coaches, especially when they aren't performing well (both on and off the field). That's normal for any message board with any team.

On the other hand, what is not normal is a poster trying to change every post to be about another poster. It is weird, creepy, and obsessive. Must you see all of the posters - including ones who rarely post - who have voiced how strange your obsession is in doing that?

so whats the point? Is his job to see how many coaches move on to bigger schools?

The point is that multiple posters in this thread have made the claim that Doc has a good track record of getting his assistants to better positions at better programs. I questioned that, as the facts show the complete opposite.

I'm not the one who made the false claim. Ask those other posters who made it why they did.

The smart coaches are unemployed. They need to be a minority and recruiters to coach at the FBS level per Rifle.

Back to lying again. You failed to prove your last lie about what you claimed I posted. Now, prove these last two claims (that the smart coaches are unemployed and you have to be a minority and recruiter to coach at an FBS).

It shouldn't be hard to prove your claim. Simply search by my username(s) and "minority" and it would pop up for you if I ever made a claim even remotely close to the ones you have attributed to me in this thread.

Listen, moron. Not only are you obsessed with changing every topic to be about me, but you also have a strong habit of lying about things I said. I think it is time for you to go on another Twitter rampage for two days crying about me.

Not sure what the real point people are trying to make here.

So a LOSING North Texas team back in 2013 or so had a bunch of assistants get jobs at "better" schools. So what? If they were such "great" coaches, why did NTSU have a losing record that season? Were these assistants bailing from a sinking ship? Were these coaches good as individual coaches but, as a staff, maybe they just didn't have good chemistry that one season at NTSU?

Who among MU fans would trade Doc's overall record for the last 5 season's with NTSU's record for the same period? I mean this argument is just bordering on the nonsensical and seems to be more of a personal clash between individuals with strong, and differing, opinions.

Most MU fans would agree that some of Doc's hires may not have been the best that could have been made. Other hires have served MU pretty well. His overall record at MU is pretty good, with 2016, being, hopefully, a one year screw up. But his 7 season record at MU has been among the better overall records of all other conference schools over the same period.

So a LOSING North Texas team back in 2013 or so had a bunch of assistants get jobs at "better" schools. So what? If they were such "great" coaches, why did NTSU have a losing record that season? Were these assistants bailing from a sinking ship? Were these coaches good as individual coaches but, as a staff, maybe they just didn't have good chemistry that one season at NTSU?

In 2013, they went 9-4, not quite a losing team.

You have to look at the context it was being discussed. I was showing how a program with a head coach with far less program success, far less program history, far less facilities, far less fan support, etc. has so many of his coaches get better jobs (which is a good reflection on him). That was mentioned in rebuttal of the arguments, as poor as they have been, showing Doc to have a good track record of building his assistants to get better jobs.

But his 7 season record at MU has been among the better overall records of all other conference schools over the same period.

As it should be considering how Marshall measures up in the conference during that period in facilities, history, fan support, pay, etc. Look at the teams Marshall is competing with just in their own division: Charlotte, ODU, FIU, FAU. One of those programs didn't exist five years ago, another didn't exist seven years ago, and two haven't had a pulse in years.

I know a coach from that 2013 North Texas team who spends the majority of his time on Message boards.

'Now, Ron Turner did call me numerous times about their special teams coordinator position. He was concerned about my pending litigation at the time and if it may drag me away for a day(s) during the season. I was up front with him and told him that it was a possibility. He didn't officially offer the job, but it was there for me if I wanted to end the litigation.'
I have to ask, why wouldn't you end your litigation? is it worth that much compared to full time job and more contacts? is it worth your career, as other coaches know what you are willing to do? I understand fighting for what is right, but is the reward worth the risk? as I said, I just have to ask.

It was worth it on all accounts. Financially, I would have had a salary about the same as I'd get through litigation. Professionally, I knew I would have been boarding a sinking ship. I routinely was beating them in recruiting at an FCS and had just beaten them twice. That staff was a dead-man walking.

Is it worth my career, as other coaches know what you are willing to do? Sure. Why would I want to work for a head coach who doesn't understand doing the right thing? Is it worth my time and money fighting the Texas Rangers so that they change their deceptive ticket selling practices? Yes, if it stops others from being scammed. Likewise, Cookman and that former head coach won't be doing their old tricks again. That's why they've had three former coaches file suits since I have. I opened the floodgates of change.

Ethically, it was even more of the right thing to do. They did those things for far too long to the powerless (players and other coaches). If I had the ability to stop it from happening again, should I have not done it just to benefit me while allowing far more to get hurt from it?

thanks
It was worth it on all accounts. Financially, I would have had a salary about the same as I'd get through litigation. Professionally, I knew I would have been boarding a sinking ship. I routinely was beating them in recruiting at an FCS and had just beaten them twice. That staff was a dead-man walking.

Is it worth my career, as other coaches know what you are willing to do? Sure. Why would I want to work for a head coach who doesn't understand doing the right thing? Is it worth my time and money fighting the Texas Rangers so that they change their deceptive ticket selling practices? Yes, if it stops others from being scammed. Likewise, Cookman and that former head coach won't be doing their old tricks again. That's why they've had three former coaches file suits since I have. I opened the floodgates of change.

Ethically, it was even more of the right thing to do. They did those things for far too long to the powerless (players and other coaches). If I had the ability to stop it from happening again, should I have not done it just to benefit me while allowing far more to get hurt from it?
for the answer, those are called personal decisions. Where does the litigation stand now?

They settled for what I wanted long ago. A few attorneys flew to me a month or two ago to depose me after I was subpoenad regarding another former coach's litigation. So, the house has tumbled down.

Back to the OP and coaching discussion, I am curious as to your take on Heater.

Back to the OP and coaching discussion, I am curious as to your take on Heater.
I think Chuck's a good coach when he has players. We didn't seem to have many last year. Hope the new ones are as good as advertised, and the other one improved from last year. Maybe a little O to help take some heat off as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT