ADVERTISEMENT

New Offense

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
With spring practice rapidly approaching I was thinking about our new OC. Do any of you in the know think our current personnel fit his system? How much freedom will Doc give him? Does he run a completely different style or is it similar. By that I mean, is it similar and he just calls better plays. Just looking for some discussion.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, the guy wouldn’t come half way across country to Huntington,WV if he thought Doc would meddle and screw with his system. This is what he makes his living doing and I highly doubt he would tolerate anyone screwing with it. Jmo.

Not sure I agree a head coach would be meddling in his team's offensive scheme...but I go think Doc will support a new offense led my Cramsey. It's the head coaches offense and defense, led by the coordinators.

Just my thought..... we won’t see a huge change in style of offense, so my big hope is creativity when needed and haveing the balls to call plays when needed,... but I think his style will look like BillLegg2.0.... hope not

Reactions: 31Herd55
I just watched Sam Houston State on YouTube. Immediately I thought of Marshall's offense in (1999) and (2000) with more of a controlled tempo and a lil creativity. Just my opinion though.

I think it’ll be wide open at first but then depending on how things go/work you’ll know if doc is pulling on the reigns

Just the thought of that gives me nightmares. If Doc just steps back & lets Cramsey run his offense,
we could have a super year.

I think it’ll be wide open at first but then depending on how things go/work you’ll know if doc is pulling on the reigns

If we see a pulling on the reigns, it's The Doc Effect"... If we see a stepping on their throats, It's "The Cramsey Effect".

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just the thought of that gives me nightmares. If Doc just steps back & lets Cramsey run his offense,
we could have a super year.

I think you're expecting too much. At best, it will be an FCS transfer QB who doesn't even have the spring to practice with his offense and coordinator. Having all summer will help, but it's important to be realistic. This is a kid who has played in an FCS conference which is the 10th or 11th best out of 13 conferences at that level. As a redshirt freshman, he put up really bad numbers. As a sophomore, he put up average numbers (57% completion, 221 yards per game, 16 TDs/5 INTs). As a junior, he only played in two games, but he wasn't impressive: against a 1-9 D2 team (not FCS but D2), he was 21-29 for 260 yards; against a 4-6 FCS team, he went 6-17 for 51 yards before getting hurt.

You're expecting an OC to come in and install his offense with a QB who won't be here in the spring and hasn't shown the ability to put up good numbers against far inferior competition. Expecting a "super year" on offense is asking a lot under those situations.

I think you're expecting too much. At best, it will be an FCS transfer QB who doesn't even have the spring to practice with his offense and coordinator. Having all summer will help, but it's important to be realistic. This is a kid who has played in an FCS conference which is the 10th or 11th best out of 13 conferences at that level. As a redshirt freshman, he put up really bad numbers. As a sophomore, he put up average numbers (57% completion, 221 yards per game, 16 TDs/5 INTs). As a junior, he only played in two games, but he wasn't impressive: against a 1-9 D2 team (not FCS but D2), he was 21-29 for 260 yards; against a 4-6 FCS team, he went 6-17 for 51 yards before getting hurt.

You're expecting an OC to come in and install his offense with a QB who won't be here in the spring and hasn't shown the ability to put up good numbers against far inferior competition. Expecting a "super year" on offense is asking a lot under those situations.
But his coaches said that he’s nfl bound

This.

I won't go as far as to say that the offense will not be successful this season (and I know that isn't what YAGs is saying either). But this warning to temper expectations - especially early - is smart. Disappointment comes not when a team performs poorly, but when expectations are not met. Let's hope that the talent and experience across the offensive side can tow the line early in the season, and maybe we can hold some reasonable expectations for a new OC and new starting QB.

Just my take, we will rely on our running back stable this year, lets hope the Oline coach gets those road graders on board better in run blocking. Makes sense to take pressure off a sorta new QB (doesn't matter which one it is, none have significant FBS experience).

I would throw out his Freshman year where he played in a triple-option offense that didn't suit his skill set. His numbers in terms of pass efficiency and protecting the ball were light years better than Litton's in the games he played as a SO and JR, and he has the physical tools to be very good. I also have dampened expectations in terms of what he will do and expect us to lean on a strong run game and defense as our new starting QB (Thomson/Morrell/Green) gets their feet wet in the new offense.

We'll know a whole lot more about our QB after games 3 (N.C. State) and 4 (@ So. Carolina).

His numbers in terms of pass efficiency and protecting the ball were light years better than Litton's in the games he played as a SO and JR,

Facts don't support those statements.

Compare each of their sophomore years since Thomson only played 1.5 games as a junior:

Pass Efficiency: Thomson - 133.6 Litton - 137.9
Interceptions: Thomson - 1/64.6 attempts Litton -1/41.2 attempts

Since fumbling is just as important in protecting the ball as interceptions are, take a look at fumbles:

Fumbles: Thomson - 5 Litton - 3

Litton protected the ball better in interceptions and fumbles. Litton also had a better pass efficiency. In the junior season (which Thomson really didn't play), Litton's pass efficiency was better than Thomson's small sample.

. . . and this was against far better competition.

Last edited:

Compare each of their sophomore years since Thomson only played 1.5 games as a junior:

Interceptions: Thomson - 1/31.6 attempts Litton -1/41.2 attempts

Since fumbling is just as important in protecting the ball as interceptions are, take a look at fumbles:

Litton protected the ball both better in interceptions and fumbles. He also had better INT/attempts ratio. Litton also had a better pass efficiency. In the junior season (which Thomson really didn't play), Litton's pass efficiency was better than Thomson's small sample.

So we have to hope that our supporting cast gives our new QB a better opportunity to be successful.

So we have to hope that our supporting cast gives our new QB a better opportunity to be successful.
We'll miss Yurache's pass catching ability, but we'll definitely benefit from all the experience returning at the other 9 offensive positions.

& hopefully, Devers gets his head screwed on a little tighter for his Sr. season.

Litton protected the ball both better in interceptions and fumbles. He also had better INT/attempts ratio. Litton also had a better pass efficiency. In the junior season (which Thomson really didn't play), Litton's pass efficiency was better than Thomson's small sample.

I'd still take Thompson any day. He has the intangibles Litton didn't. And not all of them have to do with on field performance. We'll be fine at QB.

The definition of Disappointment would have been watching CL be the QB of this talented team in the fall and continue to make poor decisions and miss throws. Plugging in a QB who is more fundamentally sound to this OL, backs & receivers should make us significantly more efficient. And maybe the reason Thomson's numbers weren't better is because he was surrounded by mediocre 1-AA players... Wagner went 6-5 in 2016 playing nobody. He doesn't have to be an NFL QB to make us much better on offense.

I'd still take Thompson any day. He has the intangibles Litton didn't. And not all of them have to do with on field performance. We'll be fine at QB.

What are these intangibles that you are sure he has and how do you know about them? Forgive me, but when you don't even know the guy's actual name, I have a hard time believing you are qualified to judge his off-field intangibles.

This board gets better over the years. A few years ago, I warned this very board about the potential issues with signing Litton due to two major character incidents that he had in high school. I was scolded and told that if he was good enough for LSU and USF, then he is good enough for Marshall. Those same people were the first complaining about any perceived off-field issues Litton had while at Marshall.

Now, we have people claiming to know the character of a player that isn't even yet at Marshall and don't know his actual name. At some point in the near future, many of you are going to internally say "man, I wish we still had Litton. He was actually a pretty damn good college QB."

What are these intangibles that you are sure he has and how do you know about them? Forgive me, but when you don't even know the guy's actual name, I have a hard time believing you are qualified to judge his off-field intangibles.

This board gets better over the years. A few years ago, I warned this very board about the potential issues with signing Litton due to two major character incidents that he had in high school. I was scolded and told that if he was good enough for LSU and USF, then he is good enough for Marshall. Those same people were the first complaining about any perceived off-field issues Litton had while at Marshall.

Now, we have people claiming to know the character of a player that isn't even yet at Marshall and don't know his actual name. At some point in the near future, many of you are going to internally say "man, I wish we still had Litton. He was actually a pretty damn good college QB."

Excuse me for the name fopaux. I’ve read enough about the kid to know his character on and off the field is way beyond what golden boys is/was.
And no, I’ll never look back and wish Litton were here or even consider him one of our better QB’s. He started enough games that he would have to be gawd awful to not rank very high.
Like yours, just my opinion.

And Litton was playing with a far better support staff in terms of the players around him on offense.

This is an apples to oranges comparison.

Interesting that Doc noted those intangibles this morning. The kid just seems like a winner on many fronts. Certainly can become a true leader on the team from the QB position. Something badly lacking the last few years. jmo.

Interesting that Doc noted those intangibles this morning. The kid just seems like a winner on many fronts. Certainly can become a true leader on the team from the QB position. Something badly lacking the last few years. jmo.
Yeah because a coach has NEVER said a q.v. has those intangibles. It’s called coach speak for a reason

I'm looking at it from a central mean perspective not just straight averages and I compared Thomson's 13 games his SO/JR years to Litton's 13 games this past season when he played pretty well. Of course there is a big difference in competition, but from a central mean perspective Thomson's numbers were similar in Pass Yds per game and pass efficiency, but Thomson's numbers were much better in terms of Yds/Comp (13.36 to 11.56), TD/INT Ratio (4.07 to 1.98), Yds/Att (7.89 to 6.91), and Att/Int (93.20 to 34.83). Thomson is also a much more mobile QB than Litton, and i don't expect fumbles to be an issue as we have a pretty good OL that kept Litton safe most of the season. I'm not saying that Thomson will be better than Litton from a numbers perspective but he appears to have far better leadership qualities than Litton from reports and is a very smart guy. I still believe Green and Morrell will be in the fight for the starting job as both have improved from reports, so regardless of what happens with Thomson, we should be solid at the QB position in 2018.

Glad you took the time to set me straight. I'll still take AT over CL any day of the week and the kid hasn't set foot in the stadium yet to play a down. Just my opinion. From the 429, I guess you are a Westmoreland or SV resident?
It was a 5 second google search. I only did it to show that coaches saying qbs have the intangibles is nothing but coach speak And no I’m not a westmireland or SV resident

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Not to be mean spirited, but what do you base that on? None of us have witness Thomson as a member of this team or Wagner. Saying he has intangibles that Litton doesn't is spoken purely out of bias.

This board is gonna be loads of fun when Thomson isn't holding the Heisman and a 1st Rd draft pick.

Based on what we know of this kids the expectations are not warranted.

I am rooting for him, but like always we've bought into those that were selling him and crowned him savior.

How many times do we need to do this before we learn better?

He played in a crap league and has a busted up throwing shoulder.

Oh he speaks well. Oh he handles himself on the sidelines like a true pro.

Remember when everyone went crazy head over hills when Eddie Sullivan took players to the cemetery when he first got here. Articles were written and so many said, "there's something about this kid. He just gets it."

This Morrell kid he comes from a system just like we run he's a stud.

I remember so many saying Litton was going oro after three seasons.

Remember how Xavier Gaines was a sure thing?

Gunner Holcomb was so good too.

I thought Kai Locksley was gonna save us.

I just wish we could all pump the brakes on these kids before we actually see them in a real game.

I know I'm tired of buying in at face value and being let down.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
And Litton was playing with a far better support staff in terms of the players around him on offense.

It's all relative. Thomson had FCS talent facing FCS talent. Litton had CUSA talent facing CUSA talent.

Now if Wagner had been playing our schedule you could say it's apples to oranges.

Bottom line is no one knows what we're getting. Not until we see him play a few games.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Not to be mean spirited, but what do you base that on? None of us have witness Thomson as a member of this team or Wagner. Saying he has intangibles that Litton doesn't is spoken purely out of bias.

This board is gonna be loads of fun when Thomson isn't holding the Heisman and a 1st Rd draft pick.

Based on what we know of this kids the expectations are not warranted.

I am rooting for him, but like always we've bought into those that were selling him and crowned him savior.

How many times do we need to do this before we learn better?

He played in a crap league and has a busted up throwing shoulder.

Oh he speaks well. Oh he handles himself on the sidelines like a true pro.

Remember when everyone went crazy head over hills when Eddie Sullivan took players to the cemetery when he first got here. Articles were written and so many said, "there's something about this kid. He just gets it."

This Morrell kid he comes from a system just like we run he's a stud.

I remember so many saying Litton was going oro after three seasons.

Remember how Xavier Gaines was a sure thing?

Gunner Holcomb was so good too.

I thought Kai Locksley was gonna save us.

I just wish we could all pump the brakes on these kids before we actually see them in a real game.

I know I'm tired of buying in at face value and being let down.

I understand Bleeds. I am not anointing the young man the next Chad or Byron. And we all buy into the media hype and practice reports. Hell, you trumpeted Litton tons of times and how great he was. Litton said all the right things as well but in the end, it doesn't seem like he had all the intangibles Doc spoke of. And he sure as hell wasn't a leader or solid teammate - that we know. I think Thomson will do well, he has a bit of history; more so than a freshmen just coming in. He seems like an upgrade to me. Then again I like Greene and Morrell as well. We'll be fine. I really don't care who the QB is, I am fine with either of them. I am ready to move on from the drama queen the last three years.
I'll give you this, Doc's missed on QB's more than he's hit.

Excuse me for the name fopaux. I’ve read enough about the kid to know his character on and off the field is way beyond what golden boys is/was.

Do you care sharing some of those articles about Thomson's off-field character so we can all be so assured that these comments aren't the same ones we heard about Eddie Sullivan,

But I am not the one who made the comment that Thomson's pass efficiency and ball protection were "light years" ahead of Litton's. The best way to measure that is to look at the cold, hard statistics for both of them. In looking at pass efficiency and INTs/fumbles, Litton is definitely not "light years" behind, but in fact, is ahead.

Since you think it is an invalid comparison to look at the pass efficiency statistic to determine who has better pass efficiency and is invalid to look at INTs/fumbles to determine ball security, what do you think is a better measure?

And Litton had a better support staff because he had FBS players. He also had tougher opponents because they were FBS players. Thomson's numbers are being evaluated while playing with FCS players against FCS opponents. It's a very valid comparison.

I'm looking at it from a central mean perspective not just straight averages and I compared Thomson's 13 games his SO/JR years to Litton's 13 games this past season when he played pretty well. Of course there is a big difference in competition, but from a central mean perspective Thomson's numbers were similar in Pass Yds per game and pass efficiency, but Thomson's numbers were much better in terms of Yds/Comp (13.36 to 11.56), TD/INT Ratio (4.07 to 1.98), Yds/Att (7.89 to 6.91), and Att/Int (93.20 to 34.83).

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but you may want to either check them or replace the battery in your calculator.

So, by saying that Thomson was "light years" ahead of Litton in pass efficiency, you didn't really mean "pass efficiency"? And by saying he was "light years" ahead of Litton in ball security, you only meant one part of ball security and ignored the other since the offensive line won't allow fumbles by the QB. You don't have me convinced.

Do you care sharing some of those articles about Thomson's off-field character so we can all be so assured that these comments aren't the same ones we heard about Eddie Sullivan,

But I am not the one who made the comment that Thomson's pass efficiency and ball protection were "light years" ahead of Litton's. The best way to measure that is to look at the cold, hard statistics for both of them. In looking at pass efficiency and INTs/fumbles, Litton is definitely not "light years" behind, but in fact, is ahead.

Since you think it is an invalid comparison to look at the pass efficiency statistic to determine who has better pass efficiency and is invalid to look at INTs/fumbles to determine ball security, what do you think is a better measure?

And Litton had a better support staff because he had FBS players. He also had tougher opponents because they were FBS players. Thomson's numbers are being evaluated while playing with FCS players against FCS opponents. It's a very valid comparison.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but you may want to either check them or replace the battery in your calculator.

So, by saying that Thomson was "light years" ahead of Litton in pass efficiency, you didn't really mean "pass efficiency"? And by saying he was "light years" ahead of Litton in ball security, you only meant one part of ball security and ignored the other since the offensive line won't allow fumbles by the QB. You don't have me convinced.

You’re a worldly man. You can look them up as easily as I can. I thought worldly intellectuals could accept differing opinions? HD, Gagette, USA Today, NYT. Those would be good starting points.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
You’re a worldly man. You can look them up as easily as I can. I thought worldly intellectuals could accept differing opinions?

We can, as long as they are rooted in some sort of factual background. The only things I have found on his off-field character are that he likes the Yankees (bad thing), he doesn't like Trump (good thing), he likes soccer (bad thing), and he doesn't know the difference between "seen" and "saw," which will allow him to fit in well in West Virginia. Now, feel free to share all of those articles you have read that discuss his off-field character:

Interceptions: Thomson - 1/64.6 attempts Litton -1/41.2 attempts

Litton protected the ball better in interceptions and fumbles. Litton also had a better pass efficiency. In the junior season (which Thomson really didn't play), Litton's pass efficiency was better than Thomson's small sample.

So this is a comparison of the 2 quarterbacks sophomore years, YAG?? How many of Wagner's total games did Thomson play in during his sophomore year? How many of MU's games did Litton play in his sophomore season? Wasn't Litton's sophomore year (2016) when the Herd played Louisville in Huntington? You know, the game in which CL took a powder (upset stomach, "bad Doobie", residual effects from having his bell rung by Akron, whatever). Also, didn't CL "pass" on participating in the season ending fiasco against WKU at the Joan? I don't recall if he saw any action at all against the Toppers.

Any wonder that CL's ability to "protect the ball" and in "passing efficiency" look "better", especially when he doesn't even play against arguably the 2 best and strongest defensive teams the Herd faced during his entire sophomore season!!!

So this is a comparison of the 2 quarterbacks sophomore years, YAG?? How many of Wagner's total games did Thomson play in during his sophomore year? How many of MU's games did Litton play in his sophomore season?

Thomson played in 11. Litton played in 10. Pretty close. Your point?

You know, the game in which CL took a powder (upset stomach, "bad Doobie", residual effects from having his bell rung by Akron, whatever). Also, didn't CL "pass" on participating in the season ending fiasco against WKU at the Joan? I don't recall if he saw any action at all against the Toppers.

!

I mean, we could compare their junior seasons, but Thomson "took a powder" against the entire fvcking schedule after "having his bell rung" in week two. Of course, he managed to play against the bad D2 team on the schedule to help pad those stats.

Do you see how dumb you sound? No? Well, here, let me help you:

Any wonder that CL's ability to "protect the ball" and in "passing efficiency" look "better", especially when he doesn't even play against arguably the 2 best and strongest defensive teams the Herd faced during his entire sophomore season!!!

Arguably the 2 best and strongest defensive teams the Herd faced? WKU finished 41st in total defense. Teams on Marshall's schedule also included Southern Miss (15th in total defense) and Old Dominion (49th in total defense). I guess he forgot to sit out those games.

Now, you can continue bashing a Marshall player if you'd like, but I suggest going back to talking about fruits. At least your "apples and oranges" attempt only made you look like a fool instead of also making a Marshall athlete look like one like you are failing to do here.

ADVERTISEMENT