ADVERTISEMENT

New Softball Coach

C.K. Ocsevol-Evad

Silver Buffalo
Jul 7, 2010
Interesting hire. Her record as head coach at Jacksonville University was 28-28, 28-30, and 30-25. The previous five years before she took over, they went 33-23, 44-16, 31-25, 30-22 and 20-29, so there has been a significant drop from where the program was in terms of record.

She hasn't had a winning record within the conference in any of her three seasons and is 1-6 in the conference tournament.

Marshall is a better program. Usually, if you hire a head coach from a lower program to take over, that head coach has a great record at the inferior program. That isn't the case with this hire.

http://www.herdzone.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/062817aaa.html

Just from the write up, it appears she emphasizes the running game so prominently featured under Coach Stanton. We do have one of the, if not the, best base stealers in the country returning next season.

A lot will depend on the caliber of assistants she attracts to MU as I believe the former MU assistants went to IU with Shonda.

One positive may be the new coach's background and familiarity with the state of Virginia. Schools like JMU have built a nationally prominent program recruiting a lot of Virginia high school talent. If this coach can make recruiting inroads into Central and Northern Virginia and still recruit local talent like Coach Stanton did, MU may be ok. Will take a season or two to see how this coaching change and new hire shakes out, IMO.

Hope this new hire does work out and continue to direct a very good program that has accomplished so much under the previous coach.

Just watched the ESPN broadcast of the softball game. Marshall is on pace to have its worst record since 2011, which as I noted in the post from last year, is par for the course for this coach when taking over good programs.

Marshall was down by 1 run in the last inning. The pitcher had only allowed one earned run up to that point. With two outs in the last inning, the Marshall coach made a pitching change. The very first batter after the pitching change hit a two-run home run. The next batter hit a double off of the fence.

This may be a softball thing more than a Marshall issue . . . between innings, even before the start of the bottom of the seventh while Marshall was down three runs, the girls put on a comedy routine on the field. Each inning would be something different: using players as bowling pins, girls squatting other girls on their shoulders, pretending to do curling (the Olympic sport) with bats and a softball, etc.

I understand the point about having fun and keeping the team loose, but at some point, the non-stop comedy sketches have to take away from the focus on the game.

TwolfHerdfan you may be correct in your assessment of the softball hire. Perhaps MH could have taken a longer look. That said I hope the coach is successful because if she isn’t it will take time to rebuild one of our best teams IMO.

TwolfHerdfan you may be correct in your assessment of the softball hire. Perhaps MH could have taken a longer look. That said I hope the coach is successful because if she isn’t it will take time to rebuild one of our best teams IMO.

What I recall based on reading HD articles and this board - there were several coaches named as having interest whose experience and records were better but reportedly we weren’t interested or didn’t interview them.
Maybe someone closer to the program can verify or refute that thought.

What I recall based on reading HD articles and this board - there were several coaches named as having interest whose experience and records were better but reportedly we weren’t interested or didn’t interview them.
Maybe someone closer to the program can verify or refute that thought.

Tough to replace someone like Shonda and her success but even tougher when you don’t have a budget that allows for a proper staff. Not saying millions were needed but the staffing budget supposedly was very very low.

Tough to replace someone like Shonda and her success but even tougher when you don’t have a budget that allows for a proper staff. Not saying millions were needed but the staffing budget supposedly was very very low.

Money plays a role certainly but it seems a former MU coach who was at UCLA wanted the job. And she supposedly had great success at every place she went. Again, any softballers can verify or deny this.

So we should accept losing and blame it on money?

I think WKU’s total budget is less or close to ours yet they have 23-24 team and individual league championships since joining. We have 3-4 I think?

Money plays a role certainly but it seems a former MU coach who was at UCLA wanted the job. And she supposedly had great success at every place she went. Again, any softballers can verify or deny this.

So we should accept losing and blame it on money?

I think WKU’s total budget is less or close to ours yet they have 23-24 team and individual league championships since joining. We have 3-4 I think?

Sorry, was trying to be politically correct here. Shonda got minimal respect compared to her success by the powers that be. Her staff was built on volunteer and a small budget. Anyone hired was going to be a cheap hire based upon history for an Olympic sport.

Sorry, was trying to be politically correct here. Shonda got minimal respect compared to her success by the powers that be. Her staff was built on volunteer and a small budget. Anyone hired was going to be a cheap hire based upon history for an Olympic sport.

Totally understand. She did a hell of a job with this program. She deserved better. The softball program has had consistent success for the most part. More than most of our programs I believe.

Reactions: Sash19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT