ADVERTISEMENT

new SUV

-CarlHungus-

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
We have a Honda Pilot and a Honda Odyssey.

Now that the kids are older I've been thinking about trading in the Odyssey and getting another Pilot. We really don't need the sliding doors or video screen anymore (they can control their own tablets on care trips). The Odyssey is a 2017 elite with only 30,000 miles. I'm seeing trade in value at like $30K which is insane to me but seems legit. I really will probably just keep the odyssey and ride it out here but I'd prefer a different vehicle. We tend to buy new or gently (certified) used and keep for a while.

A few questions:

1. I'm seeing rumblings the new care market is softening. Is this correct?
2. I was thinking another Pilot or a Highlander but I'm seeing really good reviews on the Genesis GV70 or GV80. Anyone know anything about these vehicles?
3. I'd really like a small car like a mazda 3 or Civic but I need something where I can load the kids up if need be. So I was thinking mid size SUV. I'm open to options. I like the look of the new Bronco but would like a 3rd row optional.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

I am driving my wifes Buick Enclave now. She went out and bought a Lincoln Nautilus . I like the Buick. I had been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe which I really liked. Had a friend who drove the Pilot and loved it.

1. New car inventory still sucks. Used, auction prices are down a little. Cast a very wide net when buying, and consider using a car buying service to cast that wide net for you. You can save big by flying in and driving home for a dealer that will sell at MSRP vs these assholes charging $5-10k "market adjustment".

2. Those Genesis vehicles look sweet. Should be more fun to drive than the Honda or Toyota, if that is your thing...and as you like the Mazda 3, I assume it is.

3. A full size Bronco? Have you ever owned a Wrangler? Much of the drawbacks are the same, they are noisy as hell and not smooth to drive. By all means, if you want to get into off-roading, buy one.

4. You like small cars. You ever consider buying TWO vehicles? A sensible crossover for daily driving, and maybe a Miata for backroads on the weekend? Maybe a Civic Si?

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
saw a 72 bronco saturday at a dealership in manassas va in the process of buying a new yukon. the bronco was pretty badass and i think had @ $100K pricetag on it. restored from ground up but it didn't have a 3rd row seat. ha. only reason i bought another full size is the ability to pull the crab boat, and i sold my silveraydo back to dealer a year ago when they were being super stupid for a grand less than i had paid 2 years and 32K miles prior.

i'm not sure the new car market is softening much. they had a "market adjustment" of $5K on the yukon. i told the salesman that if he wanted to deal with me that was the first thing that needed to go. i ended up settling with a two hundred dollar market adjustment and they threw in a set of all weather GM floor mats for free. they gave me what i thought was a pretty decent price on the trade, so i'm okay with the deal, although it wasn't nearly as good a deal as the last one i bought back in 2017. i bought that one at around $7K under retail and they gave me a about the same as this one on trade.

if it weren't for needing a tax writeoff this year i'd let her bitch another year about a new vehicle.

3. A full size Bronco? Have you ever owned a Wrangler? Much of the drawbacks are the same, they are noisy as hell and not smooth to drive. By all means, if you want to get into off-roading, buy one.

Have you driven a JL Wrangler or a new Bronco? The JL is world's better than its predecessors and the Bronco is even better on-road.

Thanks, all.

I literally have a 3 mile commute. I then shuttle some kids to ball practice 2-3x/week. So I don’t spend a lot of time in car.

We have 3 kids, so on occasion it’s the fam and another neighbor kid in the back, so probably 1/month in may use a third row. Not often though.

I have no room for extra vehicles and I’m not a car guy or enjoy driving enough to do a little sporty car. I just liked my little Mazda 3 I had a decade ago when we only had 1 kid.

I may cast a wide net and see what’s out there. No way in hell I’m paying over MSRP. I’ll wait.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Have you driven a JL Wrangler or a new Bronco? The JL is world's better than its predecessors and the Bronco is even better on-road.
Yes, both.

The Bronco is well served by its IFS. I'd rather have a Wrangler with the live axle, but I understand the argument of what is best for 95% of the time.

The point is, if you are used to driving refined, quiet vehicles you might be in a for surprise with the Bronco or Wrangler. Me, I like both modern, refined vehicles and crude, obnoxious vehicles, but us kind are a rare breed these days. Know what you are getting before you sign the dotted line....or hell, sign the line for a Bronco Raptor or Rubicon 392 and flip the thing for a profit a week later if you don't like it.

Yes, both.

The Bronco is well served by its IFS. I'd rather have a Wrangler with the live axle, but I understand the argument of what is best for 95% of the time.

The point is, if you are used to driving refined, quiet vehicles you might be in a for surprise with the Bronco or Wrangler. Me, I like both modern, refined vehicles and crude, obnoxious vehicles, but us kind are a rare breed these days. Know what you are getting before you sign the dotted line....or hell, sign the line for a Bronco Raptor or Rubicon 392 and flip the thing for a profit a week later if you don't like it.
I see no point in paying tens of thousands to get the ride quality of an old beater truck. I have no idea what the new Genesis SUVs are like, but I know people are going ape shit over them like they did the Kia Telluride.

I see the Bronco as a reboot novelty vehicle. Just have zero interest in that thing.

Reactions: Jartard
Two words: G - Wagen…or is it “Wagon”… where are riflearm and murox when you need them?

Either way… big, fancy, rich doctor like you needs to upgrade in style.
I’d rather spend it on vacation or an outdoor living space. I just don’t drive or care enough. So I’ll probably keep the van. But I’m getting the itch for something a little less van.

if I had my way and no kids I’d probably seriously drive a Mazda 3 and also get a little old beater Tacoma too.

my only requirement now is Apple car play. Love that gizmo.

Not sure what it is like in your area, but here in southeastern WV where I live, new vehicles seem to be a rarity. The times when I browse the dealers or take my vehicle in for service, I have only seen a handful of new vehicles and they all carried premium prices.
I took my Toyota into the dealership last week for an oil change and they don’t even have a showroom anymore. Have turned the space into a lounge area.

Doc Fungus likes to sip whiskey while hanging out next to a good barrel fire.

He doesn't need some fancy G Wagen/on

Not sure what it is like in your area, but here in southeastern WV where I live, new vehicles seem to be a rarity. The times when I browse the dealers or take my vehicle in for service, I have only seen a handful of new vehicles and they all carried premium prices.
I took my Toyota into the dealership last week for an oil change and they don’t even have a showroom anymore. Have turned the space into a lounge area.
I’m not even sure. I hate going to the dealership so I haven’t been in a couple of years. Do my service/oil changes at a local mom and pop place.

Looks like online they have some inventory but pretty light - like 2- 3 cars of each make/model.

Doc Fungus likes to sip whiskey while hanging out next to a good barrel fire.

He doesn't need some fancy G Wagen/on
I’m getting too old. My GERD flairs if I have more than a drink or two a week.

Bit I will relish that outdoor bourbon by the fire .

I’d rather spend it on vacation or an outdoor living space. I just don’t drive or care enough. So I’ll probably keep the van. But I’m getting the itch for something a little less van.

if I had my way and no kids I’d probably seriously drive a Mazda 3 and also get a little old beater Tacoma too.

Mazdas (when you turn off all the safety features) are pretty fun to drive

I see the Bronco as a reboot novelty vehicle. Just have zero interest in that thing.
I would if I lived somewhere where off-roading was a priority for fun. Indiana isn't exactly Colorado.
I took a hot lap in a Bronco Raptor in Las Vegas on an off road course a couple weeks ago. Crazy how capable that vehicle is at speed.
I can't wrap my head around desert running like that. I've always been a trail crawler, because that's what Appalachia is.
Same here with Android Auto.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-

It also makes it more difficult for your more passionate patients to try using it against you. My former dentist said she had a patient get a bit mouthy and pulled the "I pay for your car" card, she told him she is more than happy to show him her Toyota Corolla.

It also makes it more difficult for your more passionate patients to try using it against you. My former dentist said she had a patient get a bit mouthy and pulled the "I pay for your car" card, she told him she is more than happy to show him her Toyota Corolla.
Doc Fungus patients: "I pay for your barrel fire!"

• Haha
Reactions: herdfan06
I can't wrap my head around desert running like that. I've always been a trail crawler, because that's what Appalachia is.

My first experience with the new Bronco was last summer at the Texas Bronco Off-Roadeo. There was one 7 speed in the rotation and since I was the only one comfortable driving a manual off road I drove that one almost exclusively. It ascended and descended some pretty steep hills rather impressively without using the bulldog 1st gear. When in that gear it would climb up or down the proverbial tree.

Speaking of 1st gear, no one there knew what I was talking about when I said bulldog. What do you call a super-low 1st gear?

The suspension tuning on the Raptor is unbelievable. I counted to 3 Mississippi on one jump and the landing was barely noticeable. The off-cambers at speed were unreal as to how it stayed planted.

I have a Chrysler Pacifica minivan, a Jeep Wrangler that I got for Father’s Day, and a 2009 Camry. Wife drives the van, I murder the Camry (250k+ miles and counting..thing runs great), and my silver and black baby girl stays in the garage.

We have three Kia's:

Sportage, my daily driver. 2006 with almost 200k on it. Easy on gas.

Sedona, only when all six of us are going somewhere. 2012 with 200k.

Sorento, my wife's daily driver. 2014 with 130k. We're looking at trading in the Sorento for one of those Tellurides. Wife was in one the other day and loved it.

Not an SUV guy, knees got so bad, I was in constant discomfort from my left knee due to getting n and out of my Corvette. Traded it in for a new Kia K5 GT (yes I know a kia) but with the GT got 300 hp and huge torque at low rpms. Only 1.3 seconds slower than my stock 2016 C7. Very comfortable interior and in the 4 months I have owned it, it has been mis identified as an Audi A7. Beautiful car and runs better than you would think. Plus with the value of used cars, I got 41650 on my trade when I paid 42K 4.5 years ago. Wanted a Camry TRD, but nothing in the Dallas area available.

don't have an online set up for pics or would post a few.

If you would like to see the pics of my K5 GT, go here. K5 Forums.

Not an SUV guy, knees got so bad, I was in constant discomfort from my left knee due to getting n and out of my Corvette. Traded it in for a new Kia K5 GT (yes I know a kia) but with the GT got 300 hp and huge torque at low rpms. Only 1.3 seconds slower than my stock 2016 C7. Very comfortable interior and in the 4 months I have owned it, it has been mis identified as an Audi A7. Beautiful car and runs better than you would think. Plus with the value of used cars, I got 41650 on my trade when I paid 42K 4.5 years ago. Wanted a Camry TRD, but nothing in the Dallas area available.

don't have an online set up for pics or would post a few.
Kia has some fun-filled options for a great budget. I have looked at the Stinger and wouldn't mind having one, but I worry about the longevity of these small engines that are worked up with turbos and everything else to squeeze this much power out of them.

I find it amusing that even my Lexus NX has such a small engine that, despite having a turbo and putting out plenty of power, it makes very little engine noise.

To give you the sound of a hearty engine, they have a speaker mounted inside the cabin to pump in fake engine noise. It's actually very convincing and if you're an old codger, you can turn the noise off altogether.

So far only one person on this board drives an American vehicle???

If you would like to see the pics of my K5 GT, go here. K5 Forums.

my secretary has one of those, she loves it. cute car. i'd buy my daughter one.

So far only one person on this board drives an American vehicle???
and that person owns 4 american vehicles. my son is getting ready to buy a silveraydo duramax, so that'll be 5 american made vehicles under my roof (although I've been trying to talk him into a tacoma as he needs a 3/4 ton diesel like @mlblack16. needs another trannie blow up doll).

bunch of furner lovin' commies ITT IYAM FWIW. 😂

Reactions: KyMUfan
Granny gear.

Bulldog always sounded better and more appropriate to me...

Grannies don't always drive slow...

Little-Old-Lady-Dodge-.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
and that person owns 4 american vehicles. my son is getting ready to buy a silveraydo duramax, so that'll be 5 american made vehicles under my roof (although I've been trying to talk him into a tacoma as he needs a 3/4 ton diesel like @mlblack16. needs another trannie blow up doll).

bunch of furner lovin' commies ITT IYAM FWIW. 😂

I've got several pieces of American steel at my house, three Jeep Wranglers, Ram 1500, Bronco Sport, Ford Focus, Cadillac Sedan de Ville and a C2 Corvette... plus an old Toyota 4wd pickup...

Most of these foreign makes are subsidized by their governments so buyers are supporting a form of communism...

Reactions: WV-FAN
ADVERTISEMENT