ADVERTISEMENT

New Yorkers don’t tip?

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
Most mornings I drive out to one of the national restaurant chains for a breakfast. Recently, I saw this little shanty on the side of the road that advertised breakfast biscuits and pulled in to give it a try.

The building was very small, there was no inside seating, and you were served from a widow that faced an enclosed porch. An elderly lady was busily cooking on a large gas range that almost filled the entire kitchen.

The woman took my order of a sausage and egg biscuit and even though the biscuit bread was already baked, it took somewhat longer to cook and assemble the meal than it does at say a McDonald’s or Hardee’s.

She carefully wrapped the finished biscuit in foil, placed it on the counter, and told me the price. As I was fumbling with my billfold, she asked, “Are you gonna give me a tip?”

I smiled and told her I certainly was and added several more dollars to the money I was preparing to hand her.

“The last guy didn’t give me no tip,” she said. “I’m pretty sure he was from New York.”

Lots of people don't tip on to go orders.

It is highly inappropriate to ask if someone is going to tip.

New yorkers are notoriously bad tippers.

Reactions: 30CAT
She was not that far off from most places where the cashier stares you down while you fill out the flip around tip screen.
Exactly. I enjoyed having a conversation with her. She was much more deserving of a tip than the barista who flips a tip screen toward me expecting two or three dollars for handing me a $4 cup of coffee.

“Are you gonna give me a tip?”
Air Quotes GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

I've never in my life heard that New Yorkers are notorious for being bad tippers. In fact, I've heard the opposite.

USA Today and their partner just did a big study on tipping based on states. The best tipping state, not surprisingly, was California, because they're pretty much the best in everything. One of the bottom 10 states? West Virginia and not NY.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT