ADVERTISEMENT

Next Athletic Director

Pruett played the politics game with Justice during his governor campaign to make Justice force out Doc, despite Doc having improved his record after 2016.
Justice should've been playing state politics for WV and improving it over politics at MU's AD.
Doc had slipped into mediocrity and the fan base was going away. Pretty easy to figure out. Last year he lost the team as well.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Travis is a really good guy and a former Herd athlete(track). His work career to this point has been in fund development first with the Big Green and the past several years with UGA's version of Big Green. Not sure if administration is what hes looking for.
I had heard over a month ago that he had been reaching out to Marshall people of influence. We could do MUCH worse

Reactions: sluggo72
Just wanted to clear up something here.....

Travis Epling has not showed any interest in the open AD position nor is he interested.

Given how Mike's situation played out, I don't see that changing.
I've not spoken to him for years but I do know at least one person that claims that Travis had reached out to him. If Travis told you otherwise then I would not doubt him. On the other hand I don't know why I was told otherwise by my contact

I agree with Chuck's column this morning. I believe we do need to give Jeff a fair look over the coming months. He was very impressive last night at the BG Coaches Tour in Putnam County. When I spoke with him one on one he was also very humbled to have a chance to run the department. Those who know him know that he is a very intelligent and even keeled individual.

Reactions: horsrman
I don't have an issue with giving O'Malley a shot. It would be nice bringing in someone with a different perspective and new ideas. I am not sure how devoted O'Malley would be in putting forth the effort to reach out the the ENTIRE fan base and try to build the fan/ donor base. We need someone who will make that their top priority. jmho

I don't have an issue with giving O'Malley a shot. It would be nice bringing in someone with a different perspective and new ideas. I am not sure how devoted O'Malley would be in putting forth the effort to reach out the the ENTIRE fan base and try to build the fan/ donor base. We need someone who will make that their top priority. jmho

that comes with winning....and goes away with losing.

to your point, I do hope we have a guy that does give the department and the fan base an energy boost. but that's much easier when winning happens and demand for tickets, parking etc. go up.

that comes with winning....and goes away with losing.

to your point, I do hope we have a guy that does give the department and the fan base an energy boost. but that's much easier when winning happens and demand for tickets, parking etc. go up.
Certainly agree.

I am a fan of Mike Hamrick and think he got railroaded by big Jim and his squad. With that said, Jeff O'Malley is a hell of a good guy and very competent to run the department. I've gotten to know him over the years and am very comfortable with him in that position. I know he's excited for the opportunity although not how it came about.

I don't know O'Malley at all but I do know you can not say he will be a clone of Hamrick. Subordinates must follow their supervisors wishes and follow their directives. You won't know what kind of environment or management style O'Malley will bring with him until we see him in action.

I don't know Jeff O'Malley and I don't believe I have met him. I would think it will be a challenge for him to get the permanent job. He might be, as it seems some think here, that he's really a great guy but he'll always be associated with MH and Gilbert. Unless he's been working behind the scenes with some on the board, he'll need to have an incredible year. The new President will want someone loyal and following his direction. It appears the BoG also wants to call the shots. Most President candidates will have some experience and at least some relationship with AD's at their previous stops, or will have friends who do. I am a big believer in setting the criteria first, the purpose, then pick the best person that fits the job. There are a lot of high-sounding titles in AD's around the country so you need someone to really, really vet these people to see what their real experience and results were. I like the strategy where instead of hiring a recruiting firm to do the search, you do your own search and then hire someone familiar with college AD's to vet the candidates.

Lets please look for someone outside of the Marshall click please. Someone in there mid to upper 40s or 50 will do not 65 or older and that hasnt been in the seen for years. Like that has been said before cast a huge net and see what we can get Marshall is a very good school and im sure can bring in someone much better then has been said so far. Friends are great but friends also can not get the job done please keep that in mind going forward please.

We need a very fan friendly, proactive AD who will build the fan and donor base, regardless of how much they can give.
Someone who needs to see the importance of a re-energized fanbase and what it will be like in 10 years or so. Right now, we are pretty stagnant in that department

Reactions: herd66 and oldeherd
Jeff O’Malley came here with Marcum from UMass. Sure he is a “nice guy” but does that qualify him to be our next AD? He worked under MH and generally we saw him accepting donations. I would think Marshall would want an athletic director who has connections with major programs and who can land us the occasional marquee games. Tip of the hat to MH who did get us name opponents. I have no issue with giving Jeff a fair shot and see what he can do. I give him credit for not being a Marshall alum but he has given his effort during his time here. Before we anoint anyone I would like to see what the pickings offer if we ever know.

Jeff O’Malley came here with Marcum from UMass. Sure he is a “nice guy” but does that qualify him to be our next AD? He worked under MH and generally we saw him accepting donations. I would think Marshall would want an athletic director who has connections with major programs and who can land us the occasional marquee games. Tip of the hat to MH who did get us name opponents. I have no issue with giving Jeff a fair shot and see what he can do. I give him credit for not being a Marshall alum but he has given his effort during his time here. Before we anoint anyone I would like to see what the pickings offer if we ever know.
Nothing is going to happen until the New President takes over.

So how does richmondherdfan know a new president will be on board by Christmas and select a new AD. Is richmondherdfan on the search committee?

Don’t know, it was a sarcastic post. Although some may say they are.
Are MH and Doc related? It’s all relative in WV!
LOL, TwolfHerdfan. Reminds of a piece someone put out a while back suggesting new license plate slogans for ALL 50 States. The one for West Virginia was: "One big happy family, really!"

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I won't even pretend to know anything about the president search... The whole situation with our current president's "resignation" and the discussions that led to it don't paint a very good picture of the BOG, JJ's influence, etc.

As for an AD... Find someone from outside our current sphere of cronies. We need someone with personality, charisma, powerful/influential connections, etc. But most importantly we need someone who can and will create good will with the donors/alums who keep the athletic programs viable.

Despite what some may claim, the MU job isn't a bad AD position. You have a national champion soccer team that is all but certain to start next year ranked in the top 10, a football program that is picked to win the East Division this year and a new head coach with some "buzz," a basketball team that is competitive. The IPF is in place, the soccer stadium is in place, a baseball stadium is theoretically on the table (it may be 25 more years, but there are drawings), the Henderson Center is in pretty good shape.

Whoever is chosen, I hope we can kick off some sort of campaign to upgrade the Joan in the next 5-7 years... Size wise the stadium is fine (I would not propose a seating expansion), but there are things that need to be remodeled/gutted. All the bathrooms need to be replaced, the concessions stands need serious updating, the concourse could use painting, we could maybe add some bleacher seats that have backs (not chair seats we can't sell, but bleachers with metal backs), etc.

Tim Curley might be looking for a new position, he likely has pretty solid connections.

I won't even pretend to know anything about the president search... The whole situation with our current president's "resignation" and the discussions that led to it don't paint a very good picture of the BOG, JJ's influence, etc.

As for an AD... Find someone from outside our current sphere of cronies. We need someone with personality, charisma, powerful/influential connections, etc. But most importantly we need someone who can and will create good will with the donors/alums who keep the athletic programs viable.

Despite what some may claim, the MU job isn't a bad AD position. You have a national champion soccer team that is all but certain to start next year ranked in the top 10, a football program that is picked to win the East Division this year and a new head coach with some "buzz," a basketball team that is competitive. The IPF is in place, the soccer stadium is in place, a baseball stadium is theoretically on the table (it may be 25 more years, but there are drawings), the Henderson Center is in pretty good shape.

Whoever is chosen, I hope we can kick off some sort of campaign to upgrade the Joan in the next 5-7 years... Size wise the stadium is fine (I would not propose a seating expansion), but there are things that need to be remodeled/gutted. All the bathrooms need to be replaced, the concessions stands need serious updating, the concourse could use painting, we could maybe add some bleacher seats that have backs (not chair seats we can't sell, but bleachers with metal backs), etc.

Don't forget the FG posts...some (well one) fan loses it seeing how terrible they look with no new paint.

I still think they should open the concourse to some local food trucks. I know, Sodexho has basically a monopoly on MU, but damn it would be nice to have some local food during games.

Don't forget the FG posts...some (well one) fan loses it seeing how terrible they look with no new paint.

I still think they should open the concourse to some local food trucks. I know, Sodexho has basically a monopoly on MU, but damn it would be nice to have some local food during games.
At the very least, close down 20th street before the game and allow the food trucks to come and park there. West Lot cars could enter from 3rd Ave.

I am a fan of Mike Hamrick and think he got railroaded by big Jim and his squad. With that said, Jeff O'Malley is a hell of a good guy and very competent to run the department. I've gotten to know him over the years and am very comfortable with him in that position. I know he's excited for the opportunity although not how it came about.
“Good guy” guess that qualifies him.

You have a national champion soccer team that is all but certain to start next year ranked in the top 10, a football program that is picked to win the East Division this year and a new head coach with some "buzz," a basketball team that is competitive. The IPF is in place, the soccer stadium is in place, a baseball stadium is theoretically on the table (it may be 25 more years, but there are drawings), the Henderson Center is in pretty good shape.

And, leaving out out supposedly “competitive” basketball program, that impressive list of accomplishments got the AD fired.

To which I would add that on the academic side, the university is likewise in a very good place. Pharmacy school, major buildings being funded, fully accredited, more graduate programs being added, including PhD programs, engineering school expanding, survived C**** and the summer of hate pretty well.

And that got the president fired.

Which is why I look for lackluster yes-men type candidates for both positions. The smart guys are going to stay far away.

Reactions: sluggo72
Which is why I look for lackluster yes-men type candidates for both positions. The smart guys are going to stay far away.

Unfortunately, I agree with you, but I hope I'm wrong and we don't hire someone's "buddy" who graduated from MU and has years of middle management experience in random athletic departments and/or connections to JJ.

Reactions: The Real SamC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT