ADVERTISEMENT

RIVALS NHR: Mike Farrell grades the P5 hires

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
https://n.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-grading-the-hires-2018-hot-seat-decommits

The Coaching Carousel has stopped, at least for now, so it’s time to grade the Power Five hires. Professor Farrell is here for you.

Chip Kelly, UCLAA+ – You can’t ask for a bigger and better hire for a UCLA program that needs a serious shot in the arm. Kelly has the ability to make the Bruins a superpower out west. He’s that good.

Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&MA+ – The one we will remember the most from this coaching carousel? I think so. If Alabama slips, Jimbo could step in with the Aggies and become a power in the SEC West.

Scott Frost, NebraskaA+ – This was the guy they needed. One of the best young coaches in college football coming back home. He’s the perfect fit and it’s hard to see him not having some success.

Dan Mullen, FloridaA – A very good coach who knows how to win in the SEC and knows what it takes to win in Gainesville. Many wanted Mullen and Florida got him. If he can’t fix the offense, who can?

Willie Taggart, Florida StateB – I like the hire although the expectations will be ridiculous from the start and he’s replacing a national title coach. He knows the state, he can recruit and he did a solid job at Oregon on his first big stage.

Mario Cristobal, OregonB – He will allow for continuity in the program, he’s proven to be a good head coach previously and he knows how to win big from his days at Alabama. I like this internal hire rather than reaching out of the program and hurrying a decision in that way.

Jeremy Pruitt, TennesseeB – A very good and accomplished recruiter and he’s shown he can coach the defense. This is a solid hire, especially after the debacle that was this coaching search.

Joe Moorhead, Mississippi StateB – He inherits some talent, he’s a great offensive mind and I see no reason why he can’t keep what Mullen did moving forward.

Chad Morris, ArkansasC+ – Morris lacks a winning record at SMU and brings a complete change of offense, which will take a few years to implement and recruit to. I’m not sure that’s a bad choice, but there are question marks.

Matt Luke, Ole MissC – A good guy and an Ole Miss grad, he’s a good fit in many ways but it’s not an exciting hire. Would he be the guy if he hadn't won the Egg Bowl?

Johnathan Smith, Oregon StateC – He’s done a good job at Washington and maybe he’s a sleeper and the next great head coach, but this seems like a bit of a reach.

Herm Edwards, Arizona StateD – I don’t need to go into this too much, do I? Does Edwards appear to have the college resume and/or attitude to recruit young men and lead the Sun Devils? This hire makes no sense.

Reactions: JudgeDD
Chris its possible he has seen his best days already. I still like old school coaches. I did pick him to get that job on here first. Your a good moderator. You have given me jail time on here. Lol well deserved

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT