ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: Mountain West rumblings

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
The next realignment seems to be starting a little earlier than I thought. Mountain West TV deal runs out after 2020 seasons, and they are talking expansion. Talking about Gonzaga as a basketball only member, which would bring it to 12 teams in both major sports (Hawaii is a football only member). They are also talking about BYU, either as basketball only, or as an eventual football only member (BYU, currently an independent would have to honor its football contracts, and they have games booked through 22). Also have mentioned New Mexico State. Grand Canyon has been mentioned as a replacement in the WCC.

Grand Canyon will end up somewhere because of its profitability, which is ridiculous.

Also- which of these teams do you currently hate (if not all of them) so we can track which ones you hate after expansion, because of expansion?

Also- which of these teams do you currently hate (if not all of them) so we can track which ones you hate after expansion, because of expansion?

Why is it you post here again? Anyway, you know the only school I hate. Not just in athletics, but for all the harm it does to my native state. I don't respect Duke, I don't think Boise State should be allowed to play college athletics, and most of the people involved in the Louisville and UNC scandals should die in prison, but I don't have any reason to hate them. What harm did they do me?

Why is it you post here again? Anyway, you know the only school I hate. Not just in athletics, but for all the harm it does to my native state. I don't respect Duke, I don't think Boise State should be allowed to play college athletics, and most of the people involved in the Louisville and UNC scandals should die in prison, but I don't have any reason to hate them. What harm did they do me?

I was interested in the basketball game between the schools and what was the chatter. It has been pretty interesting. Your comments though seem to be not only high strung, but off base. You don't hate anyone, but think they should die in prison. You sound like an angry atheist who hates everyone else because he hates himself.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Gonzaga won't go. Why would BYU go back they were in the MW and left for Independent Pastures. I can see NM State going MW.

I talked to some SDSU fans during the tourney and the talk was both Gonzaga and BYU joining the MW, with BYU also bringing back football to the MW.

BYU would be the 13th Football member
Gonzaga would be the 12th basketball member

One SDSU fan said the MWC wants to expand into Texas and are looking at UTEP, UTSA, and Texas State as the 14th, 15th, and 16th members.

It only dies if they leave imo, the shame would be poor ole St. Mary's, hope they get an invite as well. What of Pepperdine then, can they resurge like old times? Really doesn't affect us, would like to see most of those texas schools go anyways. We need a more eastern base and eastern headquarters.

I think CUSA should be more Mid-South based.

Move the Corporate offices to Nashville or Atlanta.

And if UTEP and UTSA leave, CUSA should move to a 16 team conference by adding Appy State, Ga State, ULL, and Arkansas State.

And if UTEP and UTSA leave, CUSA should move to a 16 team conference by adding Appy State, Ga State, ULL, and Arkansas State.
let's hope not. that would be worse than 1aa

Need to get the basketball tourney relocated as well - Greensboro, Charlotte, Nashville, etc.

Yeah, because those Texas teams are really carrying this league....
those Texas teams are still a lot better and more respected than Georgia st.. U'LL or Arkansas state.. I'm not a big fan of the current cusa but that would be 2 steps lower than the MAC

Reactions: 19MU88
Unfortunately, I think you're gonna see a lot of mid-major conferences begin cutting back on athletic programs and looking to merge with each other just to survive.

Could a 24 team conference have a semi final and conference championship game each year in football?

Reactions: 31Herd55
Unfortunately, I think you're gonna see a lot of mid-major conferences begin cutting back on athletic programs and looking to merge with each other just to survive.

There are too many D1 basketball programs as it is. The fact that there is an autobid for conference winners pushes more and more conferences to form. That's why there are play in games now- which totally defeats the purpose of making the tournament.

I would axe Georgia state in favor of Georgia Southern

Reactions: IslandHerd1
those Texas teams are still a lot better and more respected than Georgia st.. U'LL or Arkansas state.. I'm not a big fan of the current cusa but that would be 2 steps lower than the MAC

Rice, North Texas, UTEP, and UTSA are not better than ULL or Arkansas State in any sport right now or in the last 10 years.

Georgia State is always in the NCAA Tournament and have really upgraded their football program.

what did Boise St do?

Rice, North Texas, UTEP, and UTSA are not better than ULL or Arkansas State in any sport right now

North Texas Football: 9-5, Sagarin 101
UTSA Football: 6-5, Sagarin 111
ULL Football: 5-7, Sagarin 150

North Texas Basketball: 16-18, Sagarin 178
UTSA Basketball: 17-15, Sagarin 189
UTEP Basketball: 10-20, Sagarin 244
Arkansas State Basketball: 9-27, Sagarin 270

Your comment gets even more dumb when looking at the "in any sport" addition. Look, we already have one moronic poster who goes around trying to act like an expert by posting bullshit on here. His name is Sam. He doesn't need a little brother doing the same on here.

Look past last year. Southern gets 20k plus during a 3-9 season, state gets 15k during a bowl season, with the highest attended game against none other than southern. 2 years ago state remained unchanged during a 3-9 season, southern was 5-7 with an average near 24k. There is a big difference in football between the two. State hovering around 1500 in basketball with tourney teams is....well....embarrassing for them

North Texas Football: 9-5, Sagarin 101
UTSA Football: 6-5, Sagarin 111
ULL Football: 5-7, Sagarin 150

North Texas Basketball: 16-18, Sagarin 178
UTSA Basketball: 17-15, Sagarin 189
UTEP Basketball: 10-20, Sagarin 244
Arkansas State Basketball: 9-27, Sagarin 270

Your comment gets even more dumb when looking at the "in any sport" addition. Look, we already have one moronic poster who goes around trying to act like an expert by posting bullshit on here. His name is Sam. He doesn't need a little brother doing the same on here.

Wait did you just omit Arkansas State Football and ULL basketball from your skewed stats?

And I said ANY sport not just those 2.

Look past last year. Southern gets 20k plus during a 3-9 season, state gets 15k during a bowl season, with the highest attended game against none other than southern. 2 years ago state remained unchanged during a 3-9 season, southern was 5-7 with an average near 24k. There is a big difference in football between the two. State hovering around 1500 in basketball with tourney teams is....well....embarrassing for them
I'm just saying you're grasping at straws here, as there's not much difference between the two schools. Georgia State is obviously the newer program, so it will be interesting to see if they continue to grow. Problem being, they're option #4,264 for things to do in Atlanta on a Saturday night, and that might be a generous number.

I'm just saying you're grasping at straws here, as there's not much difference between the two schools. Georgia State is obviously the newer program, so it will be interesting to see if they continue to grow. Problem being, they're option #4,264 for things to do in Atlanta on a Saturday night, and that might be a generous number.
Not saying you are wrong, my point was is Southern is not much different than us or App, when they are doing ok, they get the numbers, which looks better on TV. State is just another metro school that lacks a fanbase, we really have enough of that going on in CUSA and have shown pretty much no growth in fan interest (I know its not been very long yet). I know they are upgrading/renovating facilities, but how that affects fan interest is another story, just because they build it, doesn't mean they will come. "Potential" is what we went after last go around and it bit us in the arse, imo we need performers in the stands if another change happens to balance this mess out a bit more.

Not saying you are wrong, my point was is Southern is not much different than us or App, when they are doing ok, they get the numbers, which looks better on TV. State is just another metro school that lacks a fanbase, we really have enough of that going on in CUSA and have shown pretty much no growth in fan interest (I know its not been very long yet). I know they are upgrading/renovating facilities, but how that affects fan interest is another story, just because they build it, doesn't mean they will come. "Potential" is what we went after last go around and it bit us in the arse, imo we need performers in the stands if another change happens to balance this mess out a bit more.

Atleast they win unlike UNCC

I won't defend UNCC, they have been the most disappointing addition. Brought them in for basketball, didn't even help there. Still haven't started adding to their small (but nice) stadium either. Our best adds were ODU, WKU, MT, LT, the rest were gambles.

FAU just won the conference in Football and are pretty solid in Baseball and Softball

For as long as Kiffin is there......I didn't include them because of the high school gym they play in and still not great in fan support. If you are doing well in a money making sport, and the crowd is still missing, the potential ceiling may have already been reached.. Baseball is not a driving factor. They could improve overall, but its to be seen. I will say they are a better addition than FIU.

Wait did you just omit Arkansas State Football and ULL basketball from your skewed stats?

And I said ANY sport not just those 2.

Why wouldn't I? You said Rice, UNT, UTEP, etc. are not better than Arkansas State or ULL in any sport right now. I easily showed that some of the schools in your first group are better than Arkansas State and/or ULL in football or basketball.

Do you have any idea how to fvcking communicate like a non-moron?

Why wouldn't I? You said Rice, UNT, UTEP, etc. are not better than Arkansas State or ULL in any sport right now. I easily showed that some of the schools in your first group are better than Arkansas State and/or ULL in football or basketball.

Do you have any idea how to fvcking communicate like a non-moron?

Do you understand how not the skew stats to make yourself look good?

Do you understand how not the skew stats to make yourself look good?

Moron, you said that "right now," UNT, Rice, UTEP, and UTSA are not better than Arkansas State or ULL in any sport.

I showed, easily, that many of those schools are better than ULL in football and Arkansas State in basketball. I could do the same by showing that UNT, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA are better than Arkansas State and/or ULL in other sports besides football and basketball.

It isn't skewing stats in even the slightest way. You're just too god damned stupid to understand how to propertly communicate at the most basic of levels.

Read what you said. It's foolishly stupid. You said that those four schools aren't better in any sport right now than ULL or Arkansas State. Do you realize how dumb that is?

Moron, you said that "right now," UNT, Rice, UTEP, and UTSA are not better than Arkansas State or ULL in any sport.

I showed, easily, that many of those schools are better than ULL in football and Arkansas State in basketball. I could do the same by showing that UNT, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA are better than Arkansas State and/or ULL in other sports besides football and basketball.

It isn't skewing stats in even the slightest way. You're just too god damned stupid to understand how to propertly communicate at the most basic of levels.

Read what you said. It's foolishly stupid. You said that those four schools aren't better in any sport right now than ULL or Arkansas State. Do you realize how dumb that is?

Sorry but they arent. Look at the last 5 years and its clear who has been the better programs.

Sorry but they arent. Look at the last 5 years and its clear who has been the better programs.

Oh, so by "right now," you actually meant five years ago? That makes sense.

But lets pretend you aren't the only dumb one in this thread and continue your failed attempt:

UTEP basketball:
23-11
22-11
19-14
15-17
11-20

Arkansas State basketball:

19-13
11-18
11-20
20-12
11-21

This was just the very first example that I looked at. Ready for baseball or do you want to try yet another sport?

UTEP, if they ever reach what they once were, can be a leader in this conference. There was a time during 2.0 that their basketball and football did well and lead in attendance or came close to it. UNT shows flashes of football prominence, UTSA does as well. I would by no means suggest that Ark St., ULL, G. Southern, App. St. could fully replace those programs. While they may excel in one sport over the other in comparison, it doesn't mean the entire programs excel over them. If an eastern block is what is coveted, they would be prime candidates, basketball would probably take a bigger dive though, as those are mostly football schools. We already took the prominent basketball members from the belt during the last go around with WKU and MT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT