ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: Total Bloodbath at ESPN

We will know more when the whole list comes out.

This comes down to what Sports Center used to be, which was a sports version of the nightly news, watch it for 30 or 60 minutes and know what is going on, and what it is today, which is an NBA centric hip-hop concert, left liberal preachfest, and lifestyles show. If you are not going to cover sports, then you don't need sports reporters.

It looks like they are doubling down on the long running ESPN policy of ignoring sports that are not on ESPN. Looks like the whole NHL department got axed. All three of them. :rolleyes:

I yearn for the day when ESPN is no more.

ESPN used to actually be worth watching, back when they focused on covering sports and showing highlights of games . Of course, that was back in the 80's.

Then the left wing nuts took over, and decided to turn it into a 'Kardashian Show' with a sports plot.

I yearn for the day when ESPN is no more.

ESPN used to actually be worth watching, back when they focused on covering sports and showing highlights of games . Of course, that was back in the 80's.

Then the left wing nuts took over, and decided to turn it into a 'Kardashian Show' with a sports plot.
I agree. I haven't watched it in at least 10 years

Reactions: andy4theherd
Have not seen, and doubt I will see, ONE NBA cut.

This is going to be ESPN, going forward:

First thing in the morning to 7 PM (or noon on weekends) Sports argument and lifestyle shows, about NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA and NBA, with a little left liberal preaching and hand wringing about the poor poor poor players who actually have to put in a few years for a college before cashing in (tell that to any health professions student) or the idea that SHUDDER you can get hurt playing sports.

7 (noon weekends) - midnight - actual sports.

ESPN is doubling down on the stupid.

I'm, for one, glad they're getting rid of people like Brett McMurphy and Jayson Stark. Who needs actual information? That leaves more time to listen to Stephen A. Smith and LaVar Ball scream at each other for 30 minutes.

Well played, ESPN.

McMurphy was a hell of a follow on Twitter. I would imagine he will get a new gig somewhere relatively soon.

Have not seen, and doubt I will see, ONE NBA cut.

This is going to be ESPN, going forward:

First thing in the morning to 7 PM (or noon on weekends) Sports argument and lifestyle shows, about NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA NBA and NBA, with a little left liberal preaching and hand wringing about the poor poor poor players who actually have to put in a few years for a college before cashing in (tell that to any health professions student) or the idea that SHUDDER you can get hurt playing sports.

7 (noon weekends) - midnight - actual sports.

ESPN is doubling down on the stupid.

We got it the first time.

We will know more when the whole list comes out.

This comes down to what Sports Center used to be, which was a sports version of the nightly news, watch it for 30 or 60 minutes and know what is going on, and what it is today, which is an NBA centric hip-hop concert, left liberal preachfest, and lifestyles show. If you are not going to cover sports, then you don't need sports reporters.

It looks like they are doubling down on the long running ESPN policy of ignoring sports that are not on ESPN. Looks like the whole NHL department got axed. All three of them. :rolleyes:
Thank God for the NHL Network and NBCSN.

I'm, for one, glad they're getting rid of people like Brett McMurphy and Jayson Stark. Who needs actual information? That leaves more time to listen to Stephen A. Smith and LaVar Ball scream at each other for 30 minutes.

Well played, ESPN.
ESPN's big mistake was paying huge $$$$ to broadcast promoting events no one watches. Then they cry in their beer when they promote NBA games for Saturday night that the players need to "rest."

Sports viewership is down all over. Fox, ESPN, CBS, NBC, etc. aren't getting the numbers as in the past.

Maybe they will bring back CSTV, LOL!
ASN is struggling as well.

Hell, I don't remember the last time I watched an NBA game. I am sure Jordan was still around.

Reactions: Elkview
McMurphy was a hell of a follow on Twitter. I would imagine he will get a new gig somewhere relatively soon.

a lot of talented people were let go that will land on their feet and most likely be given more tools and opportunities to showcase their talent in the future.

How the hell do you fire Jason Stark! He is baseball on that network.

ESPN pays $700M/year to MLB. For REGULAR SEASON games and one wild card game. And, except for the Sunday night games these games are generally directly against the local games on the regional sports networks. Baseball is, by far, the most regional game. By far. A lot of people watch only or pretty much only, the local team.

The only smart thing Fay Vincent ever said was "ESPN has to pay through the nose, what the hell else are they going to show all summer?" That was 25 years ago. Times have changed. Baseball is less popular and more regional. ESPN is now just one of a half dozen sports channels. 99% of your local team(s) games are on TV.

So really we are talking about the end of the interminable NBA season (early June) through the start of college football (first week of September). That is less than 2 months and the 2 months where TV ratings are lowest anyway. So ESPN gives baseball the cold shoulder in coverage, hypes yet more the NBA after-season "summer league" at Disney and Vegas, tosses up some soccer and some arena footbal and other trashsports, and gets some minor conferences to start football a week earlier and then a week earlier than that, and, when the contract runs out after the 20 season, it can tell MLB to pound sand.

I'd speculate this is only the beginning with trimester cuts going forth. Building, with "NCAA approval" a college football model of ESPN handpicked and self/house promotional schools, that ends up being Bama vs an also ran isn't a sustainable model. If I'm a P5 I'm watching very clo$ely as dominos begin to fall. All that protection money may be going away. Meanwhile the NFL (ESPN here too) doesn't manage its own $13,000,000.00 black players for taking a knee during the anthem which is a real insult to many Americans. I myself did not watch but 2 NFL games last year to boycott the knee takers. In short the media is in a bubble, where the new face of the Democratic Party to run for president is now Catlin Jenner. The face of the NFL is Kapernick and the face of college football is P5s like Penn State we've paid for our mistakes and only P5s should be on TV don't even think anyone else deserves to get on TV or else!

So, these cuts are just lack of vision, management and political correctness coming back to bite them. In time the model corrects itself, and that is what today's cuts are: a correction.
Im hoping the new ASN model allows more viewers to see G5s but at a fraction of the cost of ESPN and it cuts even further into their little fifedom.

I'd speculate this is only the beginning with trimester cuts going forth. Building, with "NCAA approval" a college football model of ESPN handpicked and self/house promotional schools, that ends up being Bama vs an also ran isn't a sustainable model. If I'm a P5 I'm watching very clo$ely as dominos begin to fall. All that protection money may be going away. Meanwhile the NFL (ESPN here too) doesn't manage its own $13,000,000.00 black players for taking a knee during the anthem which is a real insult to many Americans. I myself did not watch but 2 NFL games last year to boycott the knee takers. In short the media is in a bubble, where the new face of the Democratic Party to run for president is now Catlin Jenner. The face of the NFL is Kapernick and the face of college football is P5s like Penn State we've paid for our mistakes and only P5s should be on TV don't even think anyone else deserves to get on TV or else!

So, these cuts are just lack of vision, management and political correctness coming back to bite them. In time the model corrects itself, and that is what today's cuts are: a correction.
Im hoping the new ASN model allows more viewers to see G5s but at a fraction of the cost of ESPN and it cuts even further into their little fifedom.

No mention of the White players who participated in the protest? Didn't know they made you that mad.

G5s will be the ones getting reamed in the ass. The p5 will be fine

Disagree. G5s have been taking a beat down of epic proportion in the last 4 to 5 years. Marshall is just lucky as a G5 to have alums that believe in athletics and donate and give back to make us not only sustainable but may have the best IAF and now Football locker rooms in the country.

The monies the P5s have been taking from TV will dwindle significantly, and the budgets they have built will be unsustainable in a new model less that protection income from ESPN.

No mention of the White players who participated in the protest? Didn't know they made you that mad.

Apologies didn't see one honkey take a knee all season, then again, 2 games into the season I turned the NFL off, then periodically would check in to see if the same disrespectful insulting behavior was still being allowed by the league. Indeed it was, thus I turned it off. Im curious were there any honkies taking a knee?

Funny, I really didn't miss it, I gained less winter weight as I usually took a hike and was much more productive. I now doubt I may ever watch the NFL again like I used to, so maybe I should be thanking Kapernick? Im much healthier, I don't waste Sundays watching spoiled millionaires and I saved money by drinking less beer at my local sports bar.

I did find it hilarious at seasons end the NFL said ratings were down as much as 20% yet said they had no idea why?

Hey if you can't manage your players actions, I can manage my remote control, and so did many others.

If you want to protest on your time, I'm down with that, if you want to ruin a sporting event I'm watching that's MY time, and you won't waste my time.

If you want to protest on your time, I'm down with that, if you want to ruin a sporting event I'm watching that's MY time, and you won't waste my time.

That is how this entire board (and those who visit from other schools) feel about having to skip over your posts. You waste everyone's time with your ridiculously bad arguments.

Indeed, I'm the church of the painful truth for eerbillys, ( aka visiting schools) but trust me eerbillys don't skip. They come back for their dose of truth serum each and every day! They love me! I draw them out like puss from a scab.

Here's the real truth, you hate that I preach the truth, and most Marshall people are too civil to bitch slap eerbilly morons, I however am NOT. I live to wake each day and continue my mission to let eerbillys know they are couch burning cowardly idiots, and they come back for another dose ! On the day horse teeth apologizes for his comments and admits his stance costs WV and Wvans millions of in state dollars TGE will cease fire.

Now open up and pinch your nose....that's it.

Reactions: CarolinaHerdZilla22

Yes! I'm happy to do so! The state is 50th out of 50 due to eerbilly legislative and insider eeerbilly thinking moves promoting only that which benefits that little furniture waste land hole in the end of the state supported by the FBI lab.

Let's see if JJ can shake things up a bit? I don't think Horseteeth had the best interest of the state in mind during his tenure at wet vagine or for that matter N$AA.

I know JJ threatens many EBs but fear not he will Diego what's best for the greater good, not horseteeths career.

How is that cuz?

Disagree. G5s have been taking a beat down of epic proportion in the last 4 to 5 years. Marshall is just lucky as a G5 to have alums that believe in athletics and donate and give back to make us not only sustainable but may have the best IAF and now Football locker rooms in the country.

The monies the P5s have been taking from TV will dwindle significantly, and the budgets they have built will be unsustainable in a new model less that protection income from ESPN.
Marshall donating base is tiny. Secondly yes the p5 will lose money next go round but so will the G5. Every G5 conf will get a tv deal close to what cusa got this go around which will really affect their bottom line much more than the p5 bottom line

Reactions: pdbailey

Herd Fever....Care to name some white players you speak of them exhibited... "take a knee" or "turn your back" on the Anthem by protesting? I didn't think you could. You are always PLAYING THE RACE CARD.

It is---what it is.....Just like Whoopie and the rest of her witches on The View......I see they are still earn US $$$$$$ when they declared "they would move to Canada" and Air TRUMP had planes waiting to transport them FREE OF CHARGE!

Lots of bullshit and never action...

HerdZilla22

Apologies didn't see one honkey take a knee all season, then again, 2 games into the season I turned the NFL off, then periodically would check in to see if the same disrespectful insulting behavior was still being allowed by the league. Indeed it was, thus I turned it off. Im curious were there any honkies taking a knee?

Funny, I really didn't miss it, I gained less winter weight as I usually took a hike and was much more productive. I now doubt I may ever watch the NFL again like I used to, so maybe I should be thanking Kapernick? Im much healthier, I don't waste Sundays watching spoiled millionaires and I saved money by drinking less beer at my local sports bar.

I did find it hilarious at seasons end the NFL said ratings were down as much as 20% yet said they had no idea why?

Hey if you can't manage your players actions, I can manage my remote control, and so did many others.

AMEN...AMEN...AMEN (The Greenhouse Effect).
.....gave my Carolina Panthers PSL & Ticket rights to my son after having them since 1996. I am so sick & tired of $poiled athletes & some folks from Hollywood protesting the FLAG======I fought for in SE ASIA in 1970-71. American spoke too & put TRUMP in OUR WHITE HOUSE.

HerdZilla22

When you've got schools like Iowa State, Maryland, Rutgers, Kansas State, Utah, etc. each getting $25 -$30 million a year for their broadcast rights, that means someone has to sell $25-$30 million of advertising in each property just to break even. Those kind of advertising dollars weren't there in 2008 when the market collapsed, and its even less now.

All the cable networks over-bid on the rights and drastically inflated them, and that will eventually collapse and contracts will come back down to earth. A lot of these P5 schools that are suddenly in a spending spree because of this infusion of cash are going to feel the effects when that goes away.

WVU fans shouldn't worry though, because that money will be there for them regardless, even if we have to cut funding to public schools to pay for it. It's noteworthy that, in a time of budget strife, with state agencies flying under the radar in the hopes they don't get cut, WVU's AD is spending tens of millions of stadium upgrades and putting it in the press. They know they're beyond reproach.

Reactions: pdbailey
ESPN Publishes Poetry Tribute To Fugitive Cop Killer

ESPN, the sports network that’s hemorrhaging viewers and purging much of its on-air talent, on Tuesday published a poetry tribute to a woman who was convicted of killing a police officer.

One day before the network laid off many of its employees, it published five poems about feminism and political resistance on its website geared toward women, ESPNW.

The first poem in the series is called “Revolution” and it’s dedicated to Asatta Shakur, an icon among black power enthusiasts who was convicted of murdering a police officer in 1977. She escaped from prison in 1979 and fled to Cuba in 1984, where she’s been hiding ever since.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/27/espn-poetry-tribute-fugitive-cop-killer/

Anyway, back to ESPN.

The not yet final totals from awful announcing. NFL 7, NCAA 20, MLB 8, what it calls NBA/NHL 6 (really it is 3 people based in a particular city who covered mostly the local NBA team but also would check on the hockey, and 3, pretty much all 3, NHL guys), Studio hosts 9, writers 2, and one each voiceover man, analytics, producer, and legal anlyist.

Less covered is that ESPNU, which is run out of Charlotte is moving to Bristol and will just be run by the regular crew. Awful announcing speculates that ESPNU wil cut down on its independent shows and people and its non-game content will just be a rehash of the other channels.

As this relates to college football, going forward.

ESPN and Fox will now share Big 10 rights.

Starting with the 19 season the ACC will join the Big 10, Pac 12 and SEC with its own network, also operated by ESPN. ESPN will try to charge two rates for this channel, in-state and out-of-state. This will be an issue in states like Kentucky or Georgia where subscribers, already paying in-state for the SECN will be asked to also pay in-state for what is clearly the #2 team's league's channel.

All of the deals for all of the college rights run out in the mid 20s or so.

At that time, IMHO, we see the next "great realignment". The blunt fact is not everybody currently in the so-called power 5 is going to remain. The TV bosses don't need the field filler teams, especially those in smaller states. They want a system of 20 to 30 teams that play each other and everybody else, no matter what they call it, is in I-AA. Our task over the next 10 years is to get ourselves in a good a position as we can when that realignment comes.

ESPN Publishes Poetry Tribute To Fugitive Cop Killer

ESPN, the sports network that’s hemorrhaging viewers and purging much of its on-air talent, on Tuesday published a poetry tribute to a woman who was convicted of killing a police officer.

One day before the network laid off many of its employees, it published five poems about feminism and political resistance on its website geared toward women, ESPNW.

The first poem in the series is called “Revolution” and it’s dedicated to Asatta Shakur, an icon among black power enthusiasts who was convicted of murdering a police officer in 1977. She escaped from prison in 1979 and fled to Cuba in 1984, where she’s been hiding ever since.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/27/espn-poetry-tribute-fugitive-cop-killer/
Wonder how long it will be before Lavar Ball has his own shoutfest show.

ADVERTISEMENT