ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: UK movement to ban "heading" in soccer for kids under 10

andy4theherd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2007
saw this and it seemed to go along with of the thread @Marine03 posted (before the massive derail) about youth football in the US.

Under 10s should be banned from heading footballs, former Wales striker Iwan Roberts has said.
A study by the University of Stirling suggested it caused instant, short term changes to the brain.
Mr Roberts said the Football Association of Wales (FAW) could be brave and make this "correct decision".
The FAW Trust, which looks after the grassroots game, said robust evidence of the effect on the brain would be needed for any ban.
Football's governing body in the United States has already stopped juniors from heading the ball and the idea is getting growing support here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-38951257

My daughter got a concussion from heading a corner kick a couple of seasons ago. We won't be doing that again.

The ban is a great idea. It's been talked about locally on the youth level, but as far as I know it's stopped at talk. I know our HS soccer team has registered twice the concussions as our football team over the past few years. A lot, I think, has to do with the fact that our soccer teams don't work on neck strength enough. Our boys are weak and our girls are weaker, and I think it's led to more issues. They just don't have the support strength to handle those kind of hits.

It befuddles me civilization, NASA, Ford, Elan Musk, Ivanka Trump anyone on the planet can't make a concussion prevention head cover , thats lightweight , breathable and still blocks 99% of sports concussions.

It befuddles me civilization, NASA, Ford, Elan Musk, Ivanka Trump anyone on the planet can't make a concussion prevention head cover , thats lightweight , breathable and still blocks 99% of sports concussions.
There is now way to prevent the brain from moving inside the skull. There in lies the issue with "concussion proof" helmets

Reactions: JudgeDD
There is now way to prevent the brain from moving inside the skull. There in lies the issue with "concussion proof" helmets

YEP. And the head gear that's out there - most kids won't wear it because they look like geeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT