ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: Will Grier will not play in WVU’s bowl game

He cannot hold onto the ball.

Huh? His biggest problem is that he holds on to the ball too long. He refuses to throw the ball away, and many times, it leads to huge losses in sacks.

It was better the second half of the year compared to the first. I think he refused to throw it away, because he didn't want it to hurt his completion percentage/stats. He would frequently have opportunities while scrambling to throw it away, but he would refuse and end up taking huge losses.

He had five fumbles (didn't lose all of them) for the year. Considering he threw the ball or ran the ball 1100 times, five isn't a high number.

Huh? His biggest problem is that he holds on to the ball too long. He refuses to throw the ball away, and many times, it leads to huge losses in sacks.

It was better the second half of the year compared to the first. I think he refused to throw it away, because he didn't want it to hurt his completion percentage/stats. He would frequently have opportunities while scrambling to throw it away, but he would refuse and end up taking huge losses.

He had five fumbles (didn't lose all of them) for the year. Considering he threw the ball or ran the ball 1100 times, five isn't a high number.
He had three strips that lead to three TD's that cost WVU wins vs Ok State and OU.

He had three strips that lead to three TD's that cost WVU wins vs Ok State and OU.

He had five fumbles, not all of them lost, all year after handling passing or running the ball 1100 times. Again, that isn't a lot.

In the Oklahoma game, are you talking about the fumble in the second quarter when your right tackle got pancaked allowing the defensive end to get to Grier in 1.2 seconds after the snap? Or perhaps you were talking about the one in the fourth quarter when that right tackle got beat again which allowed the defensive end to hit Grier while he was throwing just 2.0 seconds after the snap.

I don't blame the guy. If this were my kid I would have him do the same thing. Is it worth the risk to play a game that doesn't matter? Be different if they were in playoffs.

Reactions: CarolinaHerdzilla
IMHO,

- This is becoming a thing. Quitting on your teammates to "avoid injury" or "prepare for the draft". It needs to end.

- This guy is just another WVU August Heisman winner and certain future NFL superstar. We have all seen this movie a dozen times. Back to at least Minor Harris.

Reactions: putnam green
IMHO,

- This is becoming a thing. Quitting on your teammates to "avoid injury" or "prepare for the draft". It needs to end.

Well, your opinion is sh!t.

If the head coach at Toledo is on a 4 year/$3.2 million deal, and Indiana offers him a 5 year/$12.5 million deal contingent on him leaving Toledo before their bowl game and starting at Indiana to recruit, should he not be able to do that?

If you're a software developer at Google making $160,000/year while working on an 18 month project with a team and a start-up with big backing offers you $300,000/year expecting you to join them full-time, should you not be able to leave your Google team?

On a related note, Texas State's AD is a moron. He hired Jake Spavital from wvu. But he agreed to let Jake coach wvu in their bowl game. What kind of shit is that when he needs to be full-time recruiting with his mini-staff for both the early and regular signing periods. On top of that, Spav was able to swindle the AD and university president into waiving their anti-nepotism policy by allowing him to hire his brother, who has coached on nothing but bad defenses, as his defensive coordinator.

"Threw the ball or ran it 1100 times." I doubt it. That figures out to 91.666 touches per game. Who averages over 91 offensive plays per game?

"Threw the ball or ran it 1100 times." I doubt it. That figures out to 91.666 touches per game. Who averages over 91 offensive plays per game?

That’s for his career. It also doesn’t take into consideration that he catches the ball every snap that is a chance for him to fumble it, hands it off which is a chance he is faulted for a fumble, etc.

Reactions: GreenDuke
IMHO,

- This guy is just another WVU August Heisman winner and certain future NFL superstar. We have all seen this movie a dozen times. Back to at least Minor Harris.
So, does paying coaches to win one conference championship while continuing to finish 2 or 3rd in their division with a salary of 800 grand a year with over a $2 million dollar payout. Paying that much for mediocrity in a bad(perhaps the worst) D1 football conference. But, hey that is American sport.

Well, your opinion is sh!t.

If the head coach at Toledo is on a 4 year/$3.2 million deal, and Indiana offers him a 5 year/$12.5 million deal contingent on him leaving Toledo before their bowl game and starting at Indiana to recruit, should he not be able to do that?

If you're a software developer at Google making $160,000/year while working on an 18 month project with a team and a start-up with big backing offers you $300,000/year expecting you to join them full-time, should you not be able to leave your Google team?

On a related note, Texas State's AD is a moron. He hired Jake Spavital from wvu. But he agreed to let Jake coach wvu in their bowl game. What kind of shit is that when he needs to be full-time recruiting with his mini-staff for both the early and regular signing periods. On top of that, Spav was able to swindle the AD and university president into waiving their anti-nepotism policy by allowing him to hire his brother, who has coached on nothing but bad defenses, as his defensive coordinator.

Coaches who break contract have buyouts from other programs, so if a player chooses to sit out they should void scholarship for that season IMO.. YAGS stop acting like your opinion is the ideal one, you sound like a Trump supporter for sure!

Coaches who break contract have buyouts from other programs,

What? Ask wvu how much they are getting for Jake Spavital "breaking" his contract. They aren't getting a dime. So since Spavital left before their bowl game, should he have to give back his last year's salary?

so if a player chooses to sit out they should void scholarship for that season IMO..

A guy plays in 12 or 13 games, misses the last one, and you want his entire yearly scholarship voided? Yeah, that's brilliant. What's next- making guys who miss games for injuries reimburse their scholarship pro-rated over games they missed?

Further, these guys skipping a bowl game are guaranteed high draft picks. Why would a school want to save itself $15,000 and ruin the relationship of a former player who would possibly donate and provide far more value than $15,000 to it in the future? Again, brilliant.

YAGS stop acting like your opinion is the ideal one, you sound like a Trump supporter for sure!

You're a moron.

Players will only stick around if the post-season games mean something. Hopefully this will help the NCAA make the decision to expand the playoffs.

What? Ask wvu how much they are getting for Jake Spavital "breaking" his contract. They aren't getting a dime. So since Spavital left before their bowl game, should he have to give back his last year's salary?

A guy plays in 12 or 13 games, misses the last one, and you want his entire yearly scholarship voided? Yeah, that's brilliant. What's next- making guys who miss games for injuries reimburse their scholarship pro-rated over games they missed?

Further, these guys skipping a bowl game are guaranteed high draft picks. Why would a school want to save itself $15,000 and ruin the relationship of a former player who would possibly donate and provide far more value than $15,000 to it in the future? Again, brilliant.

You're a moron.

“Unlike the Wickline and Gibson deals, Spavital has a more coach-friendly out clause — in that he would not owe West Virginia the full remaining amount on his contract if he left for a position within the Big 12.” That’s because he’s was paid dirt compared to other OC coordinators in the BIG12...dead last..No if someone is injured I don’t think they should have to give up there scholarship. Yeah the schools should bank on how much a player MIGHT donate in the future...like Whiteside for Marshall? .. When you sign to play with a team they expect you to give 100% and in return you get a free tutuion ..you’re just a piece of shit who constantly tries to hate on others opinions dick!

Yags, in one post you say Spavital will coach in wvu bowl game. In another post you say he's leaving early and will not coach in the bowl game. Which is it? You post so much Crap on here It's like it's your full time job. And it appears you don't like anything or anybody.
He’s POS just ignore his hate

“Unlike the Wickline and Gibson deals, Spavital has a more coach-friendly out clause — in that he would not owe West Virginia the full remaining amount on his contract if he left for a position within the Big 12.”

You should go back to crying about people calling Virginia Tech "VPI," because shockingly, you looked smarter in that thread than you do in this.

Go read what I just quoted of yours. It says " . . . if he left for a position within the Big 12." Your copy-and-paste was referring to his buy-out related to leaving to another Big 12 school. He didn't go to another Big 12 school, moron.

That’s because he’s was paid dirt compared to other OC coordinators in the BIG12...dead last..
!

Wrong again, stupid. Spav had a higher salary than Kansas State's and Texas Tech's OC. Baylor and TCU don't have to report the salaries of their coaches, but at the very worst, there were two other Big 12 OCs who were paid less than Spav.

Do you fabricate sh!t regularly?

.you’re just a piece of shit who constantly tries to hate on others opinions dick!

VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI!

Yags, in one post you say Spavital will coach in wvu bowl game. In another post you say he's leaving early and will not coach in the bowl game. Which is it?

Your reading comprehension is miserable. I never said he wouldn't coach in the bowl game. What I said was that he WOULD coach in the bowl game (as of now) and he left early.

He had to leave wvu early so he could start recruiting, be on the road, assemble a staff, and host official visits on weekends. So he "left early" in that he is no longer in Morganhole, no longer recruiting for wvu, and no longer practicing with them.

However, he stated that he was going to call the wvu game in their bowl, which is shown in this link:

https://www.dominionpost.com/2018/11/30/jake-spavital-staying-to-coach-bowl-game/

You post so much Crap on here It's like it's your full time job. And it appears you don't like anything or anybody.

I don't like stupid people who are too stupid to know just how stupid they are. Based on your inability to properly quote people (see post #19 in this thread) and your inability to read (see above), you fit that mold.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
I would assume if his contract has no penalties for paying back his remaining balance for a coaching job within the same conference that he would surely not for a non power 5 team. Makes sense to me!!! STUPID You’re right he gets paid in the bottom end of big 12 coordinators.. sound better? I stand corrected you’re still a DicK behind a keyboard..

You should go back to crying about people calling Virginia Tech "VPI," because shockingly, you looked smarter in that thread than you do in this.

Go read what I just quoted of yours. It says " . . . if he left for a position within the Big 12." Your copy-and-paste was referring to his buy-out related to leaving to another Big 12 school. He didn't go to another Big 12 school, moron.

Wrong again, stupid. Spav had a higher salary than Kansas State's and Texas Tech's OC. Baylor and TCU don't have to report the salaries of their coaches, but at the very worst, there were two other Big 12 OCs who were paid less than Spav.

Do you fabricate sh!t regularly?

VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI!

Your reading comprehension is miserable. I never said he wouldn't coach in the bowl game. What I said was that he WOULD coach in the bowl game (as of now) and he left early.

He had to leave wvu early so he could start recruiting, be on the road, assemble a staff, and host official visits on weekends. So he "left early" in that he is no longer in Morganhole, no longer recruiting for wvu, and no longer practicing with them.

However, he stated that he was going to call the wvu game in their bowl, which is shown in this link:

https://www.dominionpost.com/2018/11/30/jake-spavital-staying-to-coach-bowl-game/

I don't like stupid people who are too stupid to know just how stupid they are. Based on your inability to properly quote people (see post #19 in this thread) and your inability to read (see above), you fit that mold.

That’s for his career. It also doesn’t take into consideration that he catches the ball every snap that is a chance for him to fumble it, hands it off which is a chance he is faulted for a fumble, etc.
What he said was "He had five fumbles.....all year handling passing or running the ball 1100 times....." To me that means one year, not a career. But, according to yags, and his double-talk libtard thinking, I can't read and I'm stupid. But he hasn't rebutted me on this one yet

I would assume if his contract has no penalties for paying back his remaining balance for a coaching job within the same conference that he would surely not for a non power 5 team. Makes sense to me!!! STUPID

Your argument was that players who don't play in a bowl game should have to pay back their scholarship. Your support for that was that coaches who leave for another school have to pay back an out clause, so players should be penalized similarly. I pointed out how not all coaches have out-clauses, and I used Spav as an example.

You then made a post arguing that Spav didn't have an out clause because he was paid "dirt" and was paid "dead last" among Big 12 coordinators. I showed that he was, at worst, ahead of two others. In truth, he's ahead of those two I listed, a couple more co-offensive coordinators, and possibly ahead of Baylor's and TCU's.

So you have bombed on your initial argument ("coaches have to pay an out clause"), bombed on your second (paid "dirt"), bombed on your third ("dead last"), and you're the one trying to call somebody "stupid"?

Like I said, you looked less dumb in the thread you were crying about people saying "VPI," and that one was hard to beat.

You’re right

Well, no sh!t. If you simply said that repeatedly, you'd appear to be a lot smarter than you are.

You’re right he gets paid in the bottom end of big 12 coordinators.. sound better?.

No, because he was not at the bottom end of Big 12 coordinator pay. You realize there are only 10 teams in the Big 12, right? Iowa State didn't have an OC. Their head coach handled that role. You don't know Baylor's pay. You don't know TCU's pay (most likely more than Spav's). On top of that . . .

He makes the same as Oklahoma's co-coordinator Gale Gundy. He makes more than Kansas State's OC Charlie Dickey. He makes more than Texas Tech's OC.

So you remove Baylor. You remove TCU. You remove Iowa State. That leaves seven schools. But one of those schools has two coordinators, one of whom Spav is paid higher than.

That means he is fifth out of eight OCs (that we have numbers of). By no reasonable measure is 5th out of 8 considered "dead last" or "bottom end."

you’re still a DicK behind a keyboard..

VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI!

What he said was "He had five fumbles.....all year handling passing or running the ball 1100 times....." To me that means one year, not a career. But, according to yags, and his double-talk libtard thinking, I can't read and I'm stupid. But he hasn't rebutted me on this one yet

I did clarify that for you. I said that it was for his career. I could have worded it better for those of you slow with reading, which includes you, but regardless, I clarified it for you in the next post.

Now, are you going to continue to hide from your claim that I said he wasn't going to coach in the bowl game? I never said that. As of two days ago, he intended to. I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Do you fabricate sh!t like VPI does?

He makes the same as Oklahoma's co-coordinator Gale Gundy.
NOT OC STUPID
Like you said Iowa State no OC so let’s do this out of (9 teams) Texas Tech has co OC’s Kansas (1)OC makes more Kansas State co OC’s Oklahoma co OC’s one makes more then Spav (2)Texas OC makes more (3)OSU OC makes more Mike Yurcich (4)TCU OC Sonny Cumbie makes 700K annually so more and as you would probably agree since Art Briles was one of the highest paid head coaches at the time of his dismissal (5)Baylor has money and pays up for coaches. So out of just individual OCs 6 counting WVU mountaineers rank dead last.. when you incorporate co coordinators you have an argument but my argument those are two people doing the job of one man on 6 other coaching rosters.. keep saying VPI like it bothers me Lol and spelling shit with an exclamation mark so cool!!!! SH!T Head :)

NOT OC STUPID
Like you said Iowa State no OC so let’s do this out of (9 teams) Texas Tech has co OC’s Kansas (1)OC makes more Kansas State co OC’s Oklahoma co OC’s one makes more then Spav (2)Texas OC makes more (3)OSU OC makes more Mike Yurcich (4)TCU OC Sonny Cumbie makes 700K annually so more and as you would probably agree since Art Briles was one of the highest paid head coaches at the time of his dismissal (5)Baylor has money and pays up for coaches. So out of just individual OCs 6 counting WVU mountaineers rank dead last.. when you incorporate co coordinators you have an argument but my argument those are two people doing the job of one man on 6 other coaching rosters.. keep saying VPI like it bothers me Lol and spelling shit with an exclamation mark so cool!!!! SH!T Head :)

Waaaaait a minute. You made an argument. I corrected you. You admitted you were wrong. Now, you're reversed course once again and are claiming you were right? My god, you may be the dumbest person to have ever graced this board.

Due to your atrocious writing, it is hard for most people to follow what you're trying to say. But I think I have it figured out:

You are claiming that co-offensive coordinators don't count since two people are doing the job. On some of the staffs, one of the co-coordinators makes more than Spav and the other doesn't. You've counted the one who makes more for your argument, but you refuse to count the ones who don't make more than Spav since it ruins your argument (once again).

Do you know what intellectual dishonesty means? Hell, do you know what "intellectual" means?

You also just claimed that Sonny Cumbie made $700,000. No, stupid. He made over $960,000. TCU isn't a private school, so they don't have to report salaries, but they did report Patterson's and Cumbie's salaries:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-with-highest-overhead-126046227/#126046227_1

VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI!

Waaaaait a minute. You made an argument. I corrected you. You admitted you were wrong. Now, you're reversed course once again and are claiming you were right? My god, you may be the dumbest person to have ever graced this board.

Due to your atrocious writing, it is hard for most people to follow what you're trying to say. But I think I have it figured out:

You are claiming that co-offensive coordinators don't count since two people are doing the job. On some of the staffs, one of the co-coordinators makes more than Spav and the other doesn't. You've counted the one who makes more for your argument, but you refuse to count the ones who don't make more than Spav since it ruins your argument (once again).

Do you know what intellectual dishonesty means? Hell, do you know what "intellectual" means?

You also just claimed that Sonny Cumbie made $700,000. No, stupid. He made over $960,000. TCU isn't a private school, so they don't have to report salaries, but they did report Patterson's and Cumbie's salaries:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-with-highest-overhead-126046227/#126046227_1

VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI!

It doesn’t ruin sh!t (like that?) when you have multiple people working together doing the same job it makes since that the salary would dip why you calling Gundy the OC dumbass? Type in Sonny Cumbie salary into google and tell me what comes up bitch stop making up lies! I’m done with you you’re such a terd!

Last edited:
Why do you have such difficulty with the quote function?

You don't quote something and then press "post reply" without typing anything.

It doesn’t ruin sh!t (like that?) when you have multiple people working together doing the same job it makes since that the salary would dip why you calling Gundy the OC dumbass?

I have no idea what you're trying to say. I was able to figure out that you don't know the difference between "since" and "sense," but I have no idea what you're trying to say regarding Gundy.

Type in Sonny Cumbie salary into google and tell me what comes up bitch stop making up lies!

Christ, you definitely take the award for biggest moron to ever post on here. Just because you type something into Google doesn't mean you take the first response as gold, especially since it was simply pulled from Wikipedia.

I gave you a link showing that Cumbie's salary is $963K. Here, this is another link. It is from the USA database which lists assistant coaching salaries. This source also lists Cumbie's salary at $963K:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Here is another source showing Cumbie's salary as $963K. The source this newspaper used was IRS Form 990s:

"Offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie received $963,416, a year after he was offered the offensive coordinator job at Texas under then-head coach Charlie Strong."

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article209702164.html

You should probably head back over to HerdFans. Your intelligence, or severe lack thereof, fits in a lot better over there.

VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI!

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving and better bunch of JERKS: Holgy and the inbred, obnoxious EER fan base, IMO.
I look at that as a slap in the face to fans that have supported him and coaches that have helped develop his talent.

Reactions: Herdfan1986
IMHO,

Lol... because no one else across the country sits out of bowl games. Sam's favorite teams:

1) Rooting against WVU
2) Crying about Marshall
3) Marshall
4) Criticizing any program that isn't Marshall, while using fake statistics to do so.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
VAT-PC005LF-12x32-old-hokie-cheer-CANVAS-WEB_2000x.jpg

I had a professor at Marshall that went to VPI and he would say the Old Hokie cheer.

Lol... because no one else across the country sits out of bowl games. Sam's favorite teams:

1) Rooting against WVU
2) Crying about Marshall
3) Marshall
4) Criticizing any program that isn't Marshall, while using fake statistics to do so.
His favorite team is Doc and Hamrick, LLC. Gets on Marshall fans for wanting more than 2nd or 3rd place finishes in the division and 8 win seasons.

Players will only stick around if the post-season games mean something. Hopefully this will help the NCAA make the decision to expand the playoffs.

Assume a 8 team playoff. Lets say the five conference champions from the P5, the best of the G5 and two "wild cards". Which would mean this year Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, Washington, Ohio State, Central Florida, Notre Dame, and Georgia.

For WVU. It N E V E R makes the playoffs. N E V E R. How will the great unwashed Mountaineer fan base relate to that? And since you can have bowls or playoffs, but not both, that means the reward for finishing 3rd or 4th or 5th in that woeful league is front row basketball seats and see if this is the game Huggie finally has that stroke.

For Marshall. MU has the same puncher's chance as we now have at the "access bowl". It has been done from the MAC and the MWC. It will eventually be done from CUSA and the SBC. And? Once in a decade and a half, or less, MU makes the playoffs, gets assreamed by Alabama or such like in the first round, and that is it. The rest of the time, season over, first week of December and enjoy the hapless adventures of MU basketball. Seriously, project back an 8 team bracket from 1999 and tell me who you think we beat.

No thanks. I will stick with bowls.

what other bowl can you do this? Not even the Rose Bowl has this. Good parade out there, but not this. And, there is a MILF to signal TD!!!!!

ap_florida_daily_life_96106285.jpg

Your argument was that players who don't play in a bowl game should have to pay back their scholarship. Your support for that was that coaches who leave for another school have to pay back an out clause, so players should be penalized similarly. I pointed out how not all coaches have out-clauses, and I used Spav as an example.

You then made a post arguing that Spav didn't have an out clause because he was paid "dirt" and was paid "dead last" among Big 12 coordinators. I showed that he was, at worst, ahead of two others. In truth, he's ahead of those two I listed, a couple more co-offensive coordinators, and possibly ahead of Baylor's and TCU's.

So you have bombed on your initial argument ("coaches have to pay an out clause"), bombed on your second (paid "dirt"), bombed on your third ("dead last"), and you're the one trying to call somebody "stupid"?

Like I said, you looked less dumb in the thread you were crying about people saying "VPI," and that one was hard to beat.

Well, no sh!t. If you simply said that repeatedly, you'd appear to be a lot smarter than you are.

No, because he was not at the bottom end of Big 12 coordinator pay. You realize there are only 10 teams in the Big 12, right? Iowa State didn't have an OC. Their head coach handled that role. You don't know Baylor's pay. You don't know TCU's pay (most likely more than Spav's). On top of that . . .

He makes the same as Oklahoma's co-coordinator Gale Gundy. He makes more than Kansas State's OC Charlie Dickey. He makes more than Texas Tech's OC.

So you remove Baylor. You remove TCU. You remove Iowa State. That leaves seven schools. But one of those schools has two coordinators, one of whom Spav is paid higher than.

That means he is fifth out of eight OCs (that we have numbers of). By no reasonable measure is 5th out of 8 considered "dead last" or "bottom end."

VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI! VPI!

I did clarify that for you. I said that it was for his career. I could have worded it better for those of you slow with reading, which includes you, but regardless, I clarified it for you in the next post.

Now, are you going to continue to hide from your claim that I said he wasn't going to coach in the bowl game? I never said that. As of two days ago, he intended to. I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Do you fabricate sh!t like VPI does?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT