ADVERTISEMENT

NIL nonsense

The NCAA, the Universities, etc can call NIL whatever they want to call it... It's FREE AGENCY.

Kids are going to continue to go to the highest NIL bidder, either out of high school, or via the portal. Unless something is done to regulate it, but I don't see that happening any time in the near future.

The NCAA, the Universities, etc can call NIL whatever they want to call it... It's FREE AGENCY.

Kids are going to continue to go to the highest NIL bidder, either out of high school, or via the portal. Unless something is done to regulate it, but I don't see that happening any time in the near future.
Literally every player is a potential free agent at any time. It’s not even like that in professional sports. College sports are a mess now because of this.

Literally every player is a potential free agent at any time. It’s not even like that in professional sports. College sports are a mess now because of this.
Agreed... I don't know what the fix is, but they have to come up with something... There is no way to do it, but it would be awesome if you could only make NIL money while at your original school. Kids would think much more about their commitment decisions out of high school and it would end the "transfer every year for more NIL money" bullshit... That's a pipe dream, I know.

It’s a damn joke and everyone knows it and no one has the balls to reign it in because the people in charge are scared of a lawsuit
I think it’s because the people who make the decisions are benefiting from it. The free agents flow to the top because there is no cap. No rules. It’s a free for all. Who’s going to stand up against it? Conference commissioners? ADs? Presidents? Of those pools, it sure as hell isn’t going to be anyone who has a voice.

I think it’s because the people who make the decisions are benefiting from it. The free agents flow to the top because there is no cap. No rules. It’s a free for all. Who’s going to stand up against it? Conference commissioners? ADs? Presidents? Of those pools, it sure as hell isn’t going to be anyone who has a voice.
You just tell guys like this to hit the road, bye. go get a deal somewhere else. At some point, people will get tired of guys like that. They won't want the headache.

Once the NCAA lost a right to control media contracts for NCAA sports, this was all a matter of time. None of us want college sports to be professional sports. But the question that must be answered is Who gets the money? Currently the money goes to administrators, coaches, and Disneyland-esque facilities. That isn't going to fly anymore. That ship has sailed. For now, the collegiate employees have managed to keep the money from the players by suckering third parties into paying the players for them through NIL deals. But even that won't last forever So if the players aren't going to be paid, the question of who gets all the money being generated must be answered.

It is a myth that college sports makes this huge pot of $$. Football and men’s basketball make huge $$. At a very few places men’s hockey, or baseball make $$ and women’s basketball probably makes money at less than 10 schools.

And, they spend it on all the other sports. The NCAA runs all of the other championships across three divisions out of what it makes on March Madness. Of the individual colleges, a tiny handful actually have a cash profit without taxpayer and/or student fee subsidy. (And, none of those is WVU, despite the “self-supporting” lie it tells anyone stupid enough to to listen). A handful.

Now, where does that take us? The next step is the elimination of all of the other men’s sports. They will have to keep the women’s due to needing to offer something to balance out under Title IX (unless the lunatics destroy women’s sports by allowing more and more cross-dressers to beat actual women). But college sports other than basketball and football, and maybe 25 hockey teams and 30 baseball teams, for men will soon be a thing of the past.

Reactions: RhinoD
Simple. Players have to negotiate a contract up front and locked into that contract for 4 years. If they don’t like it, they can hold out just like the pros. Of course they make nothing while holding out and can’t go play for anyone else.

You want to get paid like pros then live by the same rules.

Simple. Players have to negotiate a contract up front and locked into that contract for 4 years. If they don’t like it, they can hold out just like the pros. Of course they make nothing while holding out and can’t go play for anyone else.

You want to get paid like pros then live by the same rules.
I think that’s the problem. Who wants rules? If there are contracts and obligations to be held to, Alabama & OSU might occasionally have some holes on their team and won’t make the playoff.

Reactions: RhinoD
Now, where does that take us? The next step is the elimination of all of the other men’s sports. They will have to keep the women’s due to needing to offer something to balance out under Title IX (unless the lunatics destroy women’s sports by allowing more and more cross-dressers to beat actual women). But college sports other than basketball and football, and maybe 25 hockey teams and 30 baseball teams, for men will soon be a thing of the past.
I could see a day with MU having football, men's basketball, men's soccer and that is it... Offset the TitleIV requirements by having women's basketball, volleyball, women's soccer... Have co-ed cheerleading.

It is a myth that college sports makes this huge pot of $$. Football and men’s basketball make huge $$. At a very few places men’s hockey, or baseball make $$ and women’s basketball probably makes money at less than 10 schools.

And, they spend it on all the other sports. The NCAA runs all of the other championships across three divisions out of what it makes on March Madness. Of the individual colleges, a tiny handful actually have a cash profit without taxpayer and/or student fee subsidy. (And, none of those is WVU, despite the “self-supporting” lie it tells anyone stupid enough to to listen). A handful.

The myth is that college athletic department are not making huge amounts of money. The sports that you mentioned are indeed bringing in all the money. However, a relatively small amount of this money is going to fund the non-revenue generating sports. It may be true that few schools have "cash profits" but my point is that the expense side of their balance sheets are artificially inflated just so they can say they aren't making a profit. If I sell apples as a business and bring in $100,000 on $50,000 expenses, I can just give myself a $60,000 raise and then say I am operating at a loss. It is technically true, but it is completely artificial. The athletic departments will always raise the expenses to meet or just exceed the revenue. Always. That is why you have million dollar position coaches and ancillary facilities that put the NFL to shame.

Take WVU for instance. Their total athletic revenue in 2021 was $72,982,006. Of this 12% came from governmental sources and 4% came from student fees. The other 84% came from media deals, ticket sales, and donors. WVU had $64,814,692 in athletic department expenses in 2021, making it one of the few FBS athletic departments to show a "profit." 22% of their expense budget goes to Administration, 26% to coaching salaries, and 16% to facilities/equipment. If you think the vast majority of this collective 64% of their expense budget goes to admin/coaches/facilities of "other sports", you are crazy. Just like all other FBS schools, they have bloated up the football and men's basketball budget to soak up all that money.

A school like Oklahoma is worse with over $143 million in revenue, 1% of that coming from the government and zero student fees (very common among the P5). It is true that the big money sports subsidize the non-revenue sports, but that is not taking up anywhere close to all the money. There are are still gobs and gobs of money after the non-revenue sports are paid for. That money goes to administrators, big money sport coaches, big money sport staff, obscene facilities services dreamed up just to soak that money up. College athletic departments are like the NFL back when it was a non-profit. The NFL could not make a "profit" meaning that it had to spend all of its revenue as opposed to making a shareholder distribution. So the salaries and expenses of ownership plus whatever advertising just soaked up the revenue to maintain non-profit status. The NFL eventually gave this up because it caused them PR problems. No such shame from major college administrators.

It's all here: https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs

The SCOTUS already ruled that the NCAA can't restrict this as it would violate anti-trust laws.

I don't know how this will "kill" college football. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the players can actually command money on an open market. Most of the players aren't worth much (from an marketing standpoint) and most schools don't have the fan/donor base to facilitate NIL collectives like Barry Switzer just created.

About the only thing that can be done is to put more restrictions on the transfer portal because that is their vehicle for movement and even without the NIL deals it's a bigger threat to programs and player alike. It makes it near impossible for teams to maintain depth and look at how many of these players get bad information and are left holding the bag when they can't find a new team because they weren't as good as they believed they were. I think something like 2/3s or more of the players in last year's transfer portal were left without teams.

Reactions: Herdmaster
I could see a day with MU having football, men's basketball, men's soccer and that is it... Offset the TitleIV requirements by having women's basketball, volleyball, women's soccer... Have co-ed cheerleading.
That can't happen. It's not sport for sport. It's player for player. The 85 scholarship players football has is what causes such an imbalance that men's sports end up getting cut because for every male athlete you have to have a female athlete.

Eventually this will all shake out. Right now every player is seeing green. Much like with the O'Bannon case and EASports. They all thought they were about to get paid and each ended up with maybe $50 each. The top of the top players will still have a market, but the rest of these guys are quickly going to find out being a 2nd string LB at Marshall isn't worth more than some free hotdogs at Stewart's.

That can't happen. It's not sport for sport. It's player for player. The 85 scholarship players football has is what causes such an imbalance that men's sports end up getting cut because for every male athlete you have to have a female athlete.

Eventually this will all shake out. Right now every player is seeing green. Much like with the O'Bannon case and EASports. They all thought they were about to get paid and each ended up with maybe $50 each. The top of the top players will still have a market, but the rest of these guys are quickly going to find out being a 2nd string LB at Marshall isn't worth more than some free hotdogs at Stewart's.
All that has to happen is some creativity and to say that half of the team identify as another gender.

All that has to happen is some creativity and to say that half of the team identify as another gender.
Just keep swimming and don't label it "men's" or "women's" and let each athlete compete in any race they want regardless of anatomy... Watch heads explode as the NCAA tries to figure that one out for TitleIX. "Genderless" athletes could be a whole new category!

Deadspin gets it...

Basically if the federal government doesn't do something to regulate NIL, college sports is pro sports and the athletes are free agents at all times.

Almost ironic that "The U" (not exactly the post school for rules over the years) is where this NIL standoff is playing out.

Reactions: Jartard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT