ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Standbye teams

Louisville, Colorado State, Saint Louis and Ole Miss have been selected as the replacement teams for the 2021 men's NCAA tournament. According to the NCAA rules, if a team withdraws, the first order of business is to make sure all 31 conferences—with the exception of the Ivy League—are represented in the tournament. If a team from a one-bid league withdraws, they will be replaced by a team from their same conference. If one of the NIT teams gets called up to the NCAA, that will open a spot in the NIT.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I knew this was going to get some milage.

Here we go again! DD has done it again!

2018 NCAA 1st round win!
2019 CIT Tournament Champions
2021 Waiting list for the NIT!

He's has done it again! DD is the man!

Spread the word for the next 4 years!

Last edited:
so for decades we don’t even get a mention.

Now we are one of three teams out in a NIT bracket half the normal size and we shouldn’t take it?

That’s just dumb.
No it's not. We don't deserve it. I love Marshall as much as you or anyone but we had our chance and blew it. I don't want to back into a tourney due to someone else's misfortune. Hell, football basically backed into the East title this past season.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Why wouldn’t we deserve it. One could say covid took a NIT bid from us this year.

The point of having a sports team is to play that sport. Play as many games as possible. So you want to turn down a chance to play a game.

That’s just dumb. No other word to describe it.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
John’s I’ll admit the tarnish has way worn off for me with the D'antoni era, but I don’t see any reason why if asked we wouldn't go to the NIT as a replacement team. We aren’t Duke or Louisville who can snub their nose at what they perceive as a lesser NIT invite. The chance for us to play and possibly win another game this season especially against a known team unlike the teams we played in the CIT, in my opinion you definitely take it if you are Marshall.

Yes I realize we lost to Rice and it was a crappy loss. I get it. I’m not a fan of Dan’s we can beat anybody one night and then lose to Rice the next night. Even the NCAA tournament win had a little tarnish to it due to the fact we got blown out of the gym in the next game against WVU. But that is the reality of hillbilly ball.
I hate his substitution patterns (which are mind boggling at times) as well as his penchant for letting teams go on 18-0 runs and never calling a TO. But all of that being said the NIT even in a year like this is too well known of a tournament not to participate in.

And, lest we forget: During the 2 season's prior to the "hot streak" in spring of 2018, we (DD & the players) made it clear that our goal was to make the Dance, so we chose not to participate in the pay to play post season tourneys.....UNT won the CIT the year before we did. I don't see their fans trashing that achievement!! We certainly don't have near the pedigree to decline a chance to play in the only other post season tournament that doesn't charge admission to participate!! It's not gonna happen, but let's don't sit here & pretend we wouldn't jump on it if given the chance.....

Reactions: KyMUfan
We ABSOLUTELY MUST participate if given the opportunity. You guys need to be much less short-sighted. Turning down an NIT Bid basically would guarantee that we NEVER get another bid from that tournament again unless we're like a 23-6 team that lost in the CUSA tournament.

Are we so naive that we don't see that big picture? Are we out of space in the rafters all of the sudden to where we don't have room to hang an NIT banner if we get to play? Do our players care so little that they don't want to be 45-50 years old and able to tell their children that they played in the NIT back in 2021? Do their families not really want to watch them play in the post-season?

COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! If we have a chance to play in the NIT - YOU TAKE IT!!! If you think otherwise, reach around and pull that patch of hair out from between your butt cheeks and put your head back on your shoulders!

I was a grad assistant on Billy's first team that won the Northern Division regular season in 1995 and posted and 18-9 record. I thought we should have been an NIT team that year - and we didn't get a sniff because Appy beat us in the first round of the SoCon Tournament. I would KILL to have an NIT watch and to have had that experience after being a part of 6 straight years of not really being very good. It would have been an even bigger build up going into the next year when Veney, White Chocolate, John Brannen, Sidney Coles, and John Brown were set to gain eligibility.

There is zero reason not to play if asked... And the "We don't deserve it" BS makes you sound foolish. Marshall doesn't deserve to play in the NIT because you don't think so? If the folks on the NIT committee disagree, and think Marshall is worthy of an invite to their tournament, I will defer to their better judgement.

It might be hard to consider the NCAA tournament real this year. What if Gonzaga gets COVID? Or some of the top seeds gets COVID? What if you get to the Final Four and a team gets COVID? Or will there be a sudden miracle and after a year none of these teams get COVID?

Reactions: johns1124
Why wouldn’t we deserve it. One could say covid took a NIT bid from us this year.

No, losses to N.Texas, ODU, and LT when we were double digits favorites is why we are not going. Not to mention a first-round bounce to Rice. That's why we didn't get invited. Not Covid

John’s I’ll admit the tarnish has way worn off for me with the D'antoni era, but I don’t see any reason why if asked we wouldn't go to the NIT as a replacement team.

I never said we don't go. We most positively should. But don't say we deserve to go over anyone else. For the reasons listed above.

I'm just poking fun at the guys who will use the "Waiting List", as an excuse to extend someone's contract.

It might be hard to consider the NCAA tournament real this year. What if Gonzaga gets COVID? Or some of the top seeds gets COVID? What if you get to the Final Four and a team gets COVID? Or will there be a sudden miracle and after a year none of these teams get COVID?

You know it's coming.

Hell, I would not be surprised if 1/2 of the NIT invitees decide not to go, or play half-ass.

If you have been in; basically, a bubble since last August. Not all, but most schools are still offering Online learning.

So.....

If I'm a player:

Option #1: Play the NIT and stay in the relative bubble for the next 2 weeks, or until the school year ends.

Option #2: End the madness now, go home and join your peer's online learning, and return to a somewhat normal life.

I'm voting for option #2.

This is a sad thread. Rather than demanding excellence, we accept mediocrity. Sitting around and speculating on being a sickness replacement in a meaningless tournament.

so for decades we don’t even get a mention.

Now we are one of three teams out in a NIT bracket half the normal size and we shouldn’t take it?

That’s just dumb.
why only 16 this year? Is this a covid decision?

I appreciate the look by the NIT committee though not convinced we actually are deserving. I think we should play and play to win if we do get in though.

Reactions: Elkview
No, losses to N.Texas, ODU, and LT when we were double digits favorites is why we are not going. Not to mention a first-round bounce to Rice. That's why we didn't get invited. Not Covid
I find it hard to believe we were double-digit favorites against UNT, ODU, & LT. Maybe ODU, because they were without a couple players. & yeah, we lost to each of these teams, but we split with them in the weekend series. The only team who swept us was WKU. Not saying that in defense, just pointing out the fact. Splitting with those teams and getting swept vs WKU isn’t where we should be with a veteran team.

Getting our asses handed to us by Rice is embarrassing.

We lost to UNT as a 3.5 pt favorite, then won as a 2.5 pt favorite.
ODU we lost to as a 6.0 pt favorite, then beat as a 6.5 pt favorite.
La Tech we lost to as a 1.5 pt favorite, then beat as a 2.0 pt favorite.

The part after the decimal sign isn't considered a second digit. Just thought I'd point this out. Wouldn't want you to look silly.

This is a sad thread. Rather than demanding excellence, we accept mediocrity. Sitting around and speculating on being a sickness replacement in a meaningless tournament.

OK so this thread consists of people saying we shouldn't take the bid if offered because (in a nutshell) they're butt-hurt over the season or because we don't "deserve" it. Also has some that say yes we should absolutely play if invited (which I agree with). At least one who says that they wish they had the opportunity to have participated in the NIT.

So tell me, what about this thread is "accepting mediocrity"? What would the comments look like if we were not "accepting mediocrity"? How do we express our displeasure with being ousted from the postseason in a way that is acceptable to you? Do we all need to gather our pitchforks and march down 3rd Ave to the basketball offices at the Cam to demand that Danny be ushered out of his office?

Are people speculating on whether we will be a replacement in the tournament? Well yes...this is a board where we discuss Marshall athletics, so it is quite on topic to do so. Does that automatically mean that everyone is happy about how the season concluded and that we are all "accepting mediocrity"? It's just the same old Sam. Wash, rinse, repeat, as he likes to say.

Danny D'Antoni, EVERY Season: "Our goal is to win the NCAA championship"!

Spring, 2021, Herd is now a 3rd Alternative for the Reduced NIT Field!

Oh, have the Mighty fallen, or has "reality" affected the "Goal" of MU basketball, Hill Billy style??

......back to the OP topic: For any of you who are gophers, remember this: John Daly was the 9th (Ninth!!!!!) alternate when he blitzed the field to win the 1991 PGA Champ @ Crooked Stick G.C. The odds of him doing that must've been like hitting the lottery.....3rd alternate? Piece of cake...

I knew this was going to get some milage.

Here we go again! DD has done it again!

2018 NCAA 1st round win!
2019 CIT Tournament Champions
2021 Waiting list for the NIT!

He's has done it again! DD is the man!

Spread the word for the next 4 years!
Uh John’s we are NOT in the NIT but on a waiting list.

ADVERTISEMENT