ADVERTISEMENT

No Way This Is Real Life

And if we were 13-0 and had beaten Auburn, we would be doing it too. ;)

Heck, the undefeated Herd finished ranked 10 while the final rank for UCF was 12. Granted that’s a playoff rank for UCF.

I both think it is a stunt and support it. It was because teams crowned themselves champions which originally forced change to the old bowl system. As much of a stunt as it is, people talk about the underlying message of it, and many of the P5 crowd don’t come off too much better than UCF. This keeps happening and a few talking heads start taking the counter position on tv and radio for the sake of debate, and eventually maybe we get some real inclusion in CFB like in CBB.

And if we were 13-0 and had beaten Auburn, we would be doing it too. ;)

Yep that’s for sure without a doubt.

I think stuff like this is stupid. However, the fact they went undefeated and didn’t get a chance to continue playing is crap. So they are correct in their mindset, but obviously not ‘co-champions’ or ‘champions’

If Marshall was doing this we'd be all over it like stink on a Monkey. Just to be a pain in the ass to those jerks at the NCAA.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
Memories!

[QUOTE="SPORTS COMMENTARY: MIKE BIANCHI

Knights a legend in own minds but nowhere else

Mike Bianchi

October 1, 2003

Duped.

Deceived.

Deluded.

Me, you and every other college football fan in this city. We've been sold on the fantasy that UCF is right at the cusp of becoming a prominent college football program. We were flim-flammed into thinking UCF actually deserved an invitation to a major conference. We were bamboozled into believing the Golden Knights were thisclose to being on equal footing with Florida and Florida State.

"We will compete for a national championship at UCF," Coach Mike Kruczek told me in one of the first interviews I ever conducted with him when I arrived in town three years ago.

In hindsight, I should have spewed Diet Coke out of my nose when Kruczek made such a hilarious comment. It should have been the first hint that UCF and those in charge of the program are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Kruczek now is getting barbecued by fans, and he has only himself to blame for building expectations to inane levels. He's the one who talked about competing with Miami for national championships before UCF ever even had competed with Miami of Ohio for a Mid-American Conference title. And he's the one who was talking about running the table in the MAC before UCF ever even played its first MAC game.

It's all part of the UCF's utopian fantasy. The Golden Knights look into the mirror and see Oklahoma. The rest of the nation sees Northeast Oklahoma.

It's no wonder UCF fans are calling for Kruczek's job. They feel as if they've been betrayed. They thought they were buying a Harley; they got a moped. They ordered the New York strip; they're eating liver and onions. They were sold a six-pack of Guinness Stout; they're drinking King Cobra malt liquor.

The amazing thing is that UCF, despite never having earned anything on the football field, still reportedly is a leading candidate to join the Big East. But at this rate, the Golden Knights might be a better fit for the Southland Conference.

To think, UCF just relocated into a new state-of-the-art football facility. It's like building a new mansion and the Munsters moving in. UCF is 1-3 and easily could be 0-4. The Golden Knights were beaten by Kent State, a perennial MAC bottom-feeder, and they came within inches of losing to Division I-AA Florida Atlantic. Expected attendance at Saturday's game against Buffalo: Mrs. Kruczek and the kids.

And, please, spare us the rhetoric about how UCF is losing to inferior teams. News flash: UCF is the inferior team. The Golden Knights aren't giving away games; they're getting them taken away. They're not just losing; they're getting pummeled. This is worse than watching the Magic try to get an offensive rebound.

UCF's defense is ranked No. 99 in the country, and its offense is dead last -- 117 out of 117 -- in turnovers. In other words, UCF can't stop anybody -- except itself.

It's become so bad that ESPN has nominated Saturday's game between UCF and Buffalo for the disreputable "Pillow Fight of the Week." It might as well be UTEP-Rice. Wrote one disgusted fan on a UCF message board: "I never thought I'd see the day where Buffalo would be a measuring stick for our program."

As Bill Parcells once said, "You are what you are." And right now, UCF is a second-tier team in a second-tier conference. The Knights never have won a championship; never been to a bowl game. Their fan base is small; their athletic budget smaller.

It's time for UCF to start concentrating on beating Kent State instead of hallucinating on being Florida State.

Mike Bianchi can be reached at Mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2003, Orlando Sentinel.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could find the original article. But I remember reading this in 2003.

I both think it is a stunt and support it. It was because teams crowned themselves champions which originally forced change to the old bowl system. As much of a stunt as it is, people talk about the underlying message of it, and many of the P5 crowd don’t come off too much better than UCF. This keeps happening and a few talking heads start taking the counter position on tv and radio for the sake of debate, and eventually maybe we get some real inclusion in CFB like in CBB.

I understand your point but can’t remenber any school declaring a championship and having it recognized by the body of the sport.

I understand your point but can’t remenber any school declaring a championship and having it recognized by the body of the sport.

The only people that ever recognize this stuff is the program itself. It’s kind of like when our fans say we’ve won college football national championships. No one cares because it’s not FBS or 1A af the time. It’s just us patting ourselves on the back. Same with UCF this year. Same with any team who declares this stuff. Isn’t the first time and won’t be the last

The only people that ever recognize this stuff is the program itself. It’s kind of like when our fans say we’ve won college football national championships. No one cares because it’s not FBS or 1A af the time. It’s just us patting ourselves on the back. Same with UCF this year. Same with any team who declares this stuff. Isn’t the first time and won’t be the last

I thought Marshall received trophies for ‘92 and ‘96 that read Div 1-AA National Champion.

Reactions: sistersville
I thought Marshall received trophies for ‘92 and ‘96 that read Div 1-AA National Champion.

That’s right- but I’ve literally heard our fans arguing with others before at a WVU Marshall Bball game saying ‘who has more national championships?’

It was embarrassing.

Typical of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!

Instead of saying "we are the best of the Group of 5", which is a reasonable thing to say and would prompt reasonable and constructive discussion, proclaim yourself "P6" and be laughed at by everyone but your own delusional (and tiny) fanbases. Turn the discussion from somthing reasonable to a laughable proposition where all of the discussion among the reasonable is to explain the proposition is stupid.

Instead of saying "hey, we had a good G5 year and won the Peach Bowl", which is true and an acomplishment, proclaim yourself the "national champion", and be laughed at by everyone but your own delusion (and tiny) fanbase Turn the discussion from something good and real, to a laughable proposition where all the discussion among the reasonable is to explain the proposition is stupid.

Next, I suppose, rather than saying "UCF is a great school and at the cusp of being even greater things in the coming years, a UCF degree is a valuable thing" they will say "UCF=Harvard".

They are only hurting themselves.

Reactions: Sash19
I'm sorry, but the cries of the unfairness of the CFP system is ridiculous. In the portion of their 2018 schedule that UCF controlled, they chose to schedule Georgia Tech, Maryland, FIU and Maine. With eight G5 teams already on the schedule, they chose to play another G5, an FCS team, and two of the weakest teams in all of P5.

That's not a schedule you put together to prove you belong in the CFP, that's the schedule you make when you want to have a bullsh-- parade at Disney World the day of the actual National Championship game.

Remember when East Carolina went in the tank and held "the virtual bowl" where their fans could donate money by buying fake tickets to a fake game (since they werent bowl eligible)?... I thought that was the epitome of being delusional. I was wrong... Spending untold dollars to have a parade and ceremony (plus paying coaching bonuses for a fake national title) tops ECU's desperate and cringe-worthy fundraiser.

East Carolina has faded into obsolescence on the football field. We can only hope the same for UCF, now sans Scott Frost.

I'm sorry, but the cries of the unfairness of the CFP system is ridiculous. In the portion of their 2018 schedule that UCF controlled, they chose to schedule Georgia Tech, Maryland, FIU and Maine. With eight G5 teams already on the schedule, they chose to play another G5, an FCS team, and two of the weakest teams in all of P5.

That's not a schedule you put together to prove you belong in the CFP, that's the schedule you make when you want to have a bullsh-- parade at Disney World the day of the actual National Championship game.

In all fairness, the Hurricane kind of messed things up, but I see what you're saying.
ucf may have had to travel somewhere, but they could have scheduled ANYONE that was an FBS team, which would have given them more credit...or just not play an FCS school at all.
People like to mention Alabama and Mercer, ucf scheduled an FCS then had to re-schedule and STILL scheduled an FCS school.

Reactions: herdalicious
If Marshall was doing this we'd be all over it like stink on a Monkey. Just to be a pain in the ass to those jerks at the NCAA.

MU fans may have discussed the topic of "what if" and maybe chuck landon may have tried to stir the pot in a good way with horribly inaccurate facts as to why MU should be NCs.

But thats it...

But I highly doubt MU would throw themselves a parade, set up a podium, and have a mini trophy (made in China) with "Nashional Champz" etched into it to not be sued for copyright from the original trophy makers.
Then again, this is ucf...the junior equivalent of wvu, who whenever they feel wronged, make a big stir, create a ton of noise, and have idiots who can't use proper grammar, screaming at others about how they belong.

I didn't feel shocked by it, but I feel the same way I feel seeing a turtle on its back.

Someone should ask a simple question,

"After multiple rounds of conference expansion, in which multiple schools moved up, why are you still in the G5?"

Me either. I'm happy to see them do well. I think anytime a fellow G5 member has this much success has to be a positive for the G5 schools. They once were a rival, and I guess some didn't like losing to them, so now they have hate in their hearts.

So, its on the fans for disliking a school that was their rival?

So, its on the fans for disliking a school that was their rival?
Can you not read? I clearly stated that they once were a rival, and I guess some didn't like losing to them, so now they have hate in their hearts. In other words, I provided back to Sistersville the reason why some fans dislike UCF. However, as stated, I'm happy for their success, and feel it's good for the rest of the G5. The more chaos a good G5 program can place into the current system, the better for all. We need to get the playoff expanded, so other G5 programs having the type of season UCF just completed has to be good for that. With that said, I realize they didn't play a world beater schedule, and quite frankly, it's hard for a G5 program to do so, unless you want to begin the season playing (4) prominent P5 programs on the road. Even then, those that pick the final four will dwell on your conference schedule. This is a P5 party, and unfortunately, nobody else is invited.

I know a lot of y’all will crucify me for this opinion but I find what UCF is doing absolutely pathetic and embarrassing.

Are you really surprised? after all they are the champions of a conference that fully believes that they are a member in good standing of a mythical entity know as the P-6.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Hatred of UCF on here is something I dont understand

There's 3 teams in the G5 that I actively root against... Based on a number of factors, but primarily due to experiences as an opposing fan at their stadium and/or interacting with their fans at our stadium.

That list... UCF, Miami Ohio and Western Kentucky.

Reactions: sistersville
Back during the "great realignment" there was a proposal for the G5 conferences to work together. CUSA and the MWC were in. The Exit Fee Conference, AKA THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! rejected this and since that time has continued to try to undermine the other four of the Group of 5. As such, I root against all AAC members.

There's 3 teams in the G5 that I actively root against... Based on a number of factors, but primarily due to experiences as an opposing fan at their stadium and/or interacting with their fans at our stadium.

That list... UCF, Miami Ohio and Western Kentucky.
And Toledump

Reactions: ohio herd
Hatred of UCF on here is something I dont understand

....so now they have hate in their hearts.

Why-so-serious.jpg

Some on here are apparently very ignorant of how college football schedules are put together.
I'll bet this season's UCF schedule was made before Scott Frost ever set foot in Orlando. Games with GA Tech and Maryland were probably finalized a few years ago.

MU got a home and home with NAVY starting about 3 or 4 years from now. Deal was done 2 or 3 years ago. Think Hamrick or Doc at that time had any idea at that time what kind of team Navy will have in 2020 or 2021, 22? Did anybody at MU have any inkling when the games with Louisville were finalized that the Cards would have a Heisman winner at QB in 2016??

Its a 2 way street when it comes to scheduling. If a MU or a UCF want or needs to play a power school they need to find such a school who is agreeable to play them. Easier said than done. So UCF suddenly got an opening on their 2017 schedule and filled with with a G5 or FCS opponent. Did any of you think that maybe there were NO available or willing Power opponents who wanted, or could, play the Knights? Nearly every FBS team had their 2017 schedules finalized and Full by early last summer, if not earlier.

Why do you guys think that MU played Concord in basketball this season? Word is that Danny and Mark Cline couldn't find a suitable major or D1 opponent to fill that opening, even if the Herd was willing to go on the road.

Just like every thing else in college sports, scheduling is something in which the "haves" or Power programs have most of, if not all, the say so and control. Just ask Mike Hamrick about now many times he has tried to get a game with the Kentucky "Mildcats", another of those exalted, SEC programs, whether in Huntington, Lexington, Cincy, or Timbuktu. The answer is always the same!!

Reactions: Shark19
Can you not read? I clearly stated that they once were a rival, and I guess some didn't like losing to them, so now they have hate in their hearts. In other words, I provided back to Sistersville the reason why some fans dislike UCF. However, as stated, I'm happy for their success, and feel it's good for the rest of the G5. The more chaos a good G5 program can place into the current system, the better for all. We need to get the playoff expanded, so other G5 programs having the type of season UCF just completed has to be good for that. With that said, I realize they didn't play a world beater schedule, and quite frankly, it's hard for a G5 program to do so, unless you want to begin the season playing (4) prominent P5 programs on the road. Even then, those that pick the final four will dwell on your conference schedule. This is a P5 party, and unfortunately, nobody else is invited.

Yeah, I can read. Unlike you, I can think as well...

I say that because everyone was talking about the same thing with Boise State and TCU back when both were in G5 conferences. The BCS instead, put them against one another, which was actually better for the G5 because they got a $36 million pot to split...as opposed to the obligatory $18 million.

Then what happened? Basically, the P5 found some schools they felt would contribute, and invited them, leaving THE ENTIRE G5 BEHIND...and TCU nor Utah nor anyone who was a former G5 program, is clamoring for inclusion...where is coach Patterson or Louisville or Utah, weighing in on this? Oh wait, they aren't...because they don't need to. I haven't heard a peep out of the schools who were once G5 members, saying they support ucf in their efforts...it's because once you get to the P5...you really don't care about anyone else below you.

Face it, this is nothing for the G5...and ucf was not even invited to a failing Big 12 expansion...so what makes anyone think they are any better this time around?!

"It's gonna create chaos amongst the CFP..."
No, moron, it's just gonna piss the P5 off and make them want to distance themselves from the G5...which they very easily could do at literally any given time.

Some on here are apparently very ignorant of how college football schedules are put together.
I'll bet this season's UCF schedule was made before Scott Frost ever set foot in Orlando. Games with GA Tech and Maryland were probably finalized a few years ago.

MU got a home and home with NAVY starting about 3 or 4 years from now. Deal was done 2 or 3 years ago. Think Hamrick or Doc at that time had any idea at that time what kind of team Navy will have in 2020 or 2021, 22? Did anybody at MU have any inkling when the games with Louisville were finalized that the Cards would have a Heisman winner at QB in 2016??

Its a 2 way street when it comes to scheduling. If a MU or a UCF want or needs to play a power school they need to find such a school who is agreeable to play them. Easier said than done. So UCF suddenly got an opening on their 2017 schedule and filled with with a G5 or FCS opponent. Did any of you think that maybe there were NO available or willing Power opponents who wanted, or could, play the Knights? Nearly every FBS team had their 2017 schedules finalized and Full by early last summer, if not earlier.

Why do you guys think that MU played Concord in basketball this season? Word is that Danny and Mark Cline couldn't find a suitable major or D1 opponent to fill that opening, even if the Herd was willing to go on the road.

Just like every thing else in college sports, scheduling is something in which the "haves" or Power programs have most of, if not all, the say so and control. Just ask Mike Hamrick about now many times he has tried to get a game with the Kentucky "Mildcats", another of those exalted, SEC programs, whether in Huntington, Lexington, Cincy, or Timbuktu. The answer is always the same!!

If that's true, then why does everyone bash Doc for the schedule we have then? In 2014 and on, everyone complained about it...especially Kent State, when that series was made the year after they lost 1 game and were 1 win away from a BCS bowl...
Funny how that standard only applies for people in 3rd party perspectives.

If so, then the next time we win a game against someone who is easy...don't open your mouth about how "cowardly" Hamrick is with scheduling.

Also, quit using "opponent record" as a means to justify your Doc bashing...because then you're no better than someone arguing against ucf for the CFP.

Back during the "great realignment" there was a proposal for the G5 conferences to work together. CUSA and the MWC were in. The Exit Fee Conference, AKA THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! rejected this and since that time has continued to try to undermine the other four of the Group of 5. As such, I root against all AAC members.

If you ever hear Aresco speak, he tries real hard to not refer to the AAC as a G5 conference but a "P6 conderence."
Sad thing is, he slips up often, especially when he is casually asked anything relating to the G5, as referencing the AAC as a G5 conference.
On Rick Neuhiesel's show, he did that alot, and actually talked himself out of saying "G5."
In short, he thumbs his nose up at everyone else in the G5 and frankly, its obnoxious.

Its like he punishes himself off camera with a smack to the face when he says "AAC" and "G5" in the same sentence.

Now I hear some ucf fans set up a billboard in Tuscaloosa saying Alabama should play a 1:1 with ucf...

This is exactly why someone like UCF will be passed over for someone else.

Utah won a few BCS bowls...instead of bragging as bad as ucf is, they simply applied for admission to the Pac 12 and got in. Same with TCU, minus that old bastard Gee calling them 'Sisters of the Poor' which they did post in Columbus, but that was it.

Ucf is taking their 15 mins of fame and instead of making it a good story to talk about in the offseason, is making themselves look real desperate.

Oh and Alabama may play them, who knows, at which point, you don't want a Frostless team playing against a juggernaut of Saban...that is a game you will not win. We just saw that.

Last edited:
If you ever hear Aresco speak, he tries real hard to not refer to the AAC as a G5 conference but a "P6 conderence."
Sad thing is, he slips up often, especially when he is casually asked anything relating to the G5, as referencing the AAC as a G5 conference.
On Rick Neuhiesel's show, he did that alot, and actually talked himself out of saying "G5."
In short, he thumbs his nose up at everyone else in the G5 and frankly, its obnoxious.

Its like he punishes himself off camera with a smack to the face when he says "AAC" and "G5" in the same sentence.

Now I hear some ucf fans set up a billboard in Tuscaloosa saying Alabama should play a 1:1 with ucf...

This is exactly why someone like UCF will be passed over for someone else.

Utah won a few BCS bowls...instead of bragging as bad as ucf is, they simply applied for admission to the Pac 12 and got in. Same with TCU, minus that old bastard Gee calling them 'Sisters of the Poor' which they did post in Columbus, but that was it.

Ucf is taking their 15 mins of fame and instead of making it a good story to talk about in the offseason, is making themselves look real desperate.

Oh and Alabama may play them, who knows, at which point, you don't want a Frostless team playing against a juggernaut of Saban...that is a game you will not win. We just saw that.

If the Herd was in the AAC, wouldn't you like him to thumb his nose at the other G5? Everyone wants to be better than they are. I agree the AAC has delusions of grandeur, but I also feel like our fans would be ok with acting like that if we were including in the thumbing...

Reactions: GreenDuke
ADVERTISEMENT