ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL PICK THE SCORE THREAD Norfolk State

No way to know what we will look like but based on who returns and is healthy... I expect the defense to play well.

Marshall -- 34
Norfolk State -- 10

Prediction:
Marshall: 52
Norfolk St: 3

The last time we played Norfolk State was back in 2015 and we beat them 45-7. Their lone TD came early in the 1st quarter.

Scoring by quarter was as follows.
Norfolk: 7-0-0-0
Marshall: 10-14-14-7

Against last year's FCS opponent (NC Central) we won 44-10.

It all depends on how Huff and Trickett want to use this game. Are they going let it fly and let Colombi play at least through 3 to get a rhythm or will we limit his time to a half to avoid injury. When Cam comes in do we allow him to actually play.

Prediction:

The last time we played Norfolk State was back in 2015 and we beat them 45-7. Their lone TD came early in the 1st quarter.

Scoring by quarter was as follows.
Norfolk: 7-0-0-0
Marshall: 10-14-14-7

Against last year's FCS opponent (NC Central) we won 44-10.

It all depends on how Huff and Trickett want to use this game. Are they going let it fly and let Colombi play at least through 3 to get a rhythm or will we limit his time to a half to avoid injury. When Cam comes in do we allow him to actually play.

To your point, how much does Huff want to show anyone, anything with ND being the week after?
I think this is a very basic looking game, with said basics being worked on, in real time, to allow the more complex plays and motions, to be done in the future.

MU 42
Other guys 7

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
To your point, how much does Huff want to show anyone, anything with ND being the week after?
I think this is a very basic looking game, with said basics being worked on, in real time, to allow the more complex plays and motions, to be done in the future.

MU 42
Other guys 7
Most FCS games are like that. Very Vanilla game plans. I do wonder how long we keep the 1s on the field and how aggressive we are and how long we're aggressive. NFS isn't very good and we could ring up 60 if we want. That's my biggest issue with FCS games. It doesn't matter if it's us playing one or Bama. The dogs always get called off early and usually the final 1/3 of the game is a snoozefest.

Most FCS games are like that. Very Vanilla game plans. I do wonder how long we keep the 1s on the field and how aggressive we are and how long we're aggressive. NFS isn't very good and we could ring up 60 if we want. That's my biggest issue with FCS games. It doesn't matter if it's us playing one or Bama. The dogs always get called off early and usually the final 1/3 of the game is a snoozefest.
The snooze fest portion is where we should be allowing our second string offense to continue to run our normal first string playbook to gain experience... I understand not wanting to beat a FCS team by 60, but if the second unit can drive the ball downfield and score, let em. At least until the last few minutes.

I just hope we get in that situation... New QB, new offensive line, backup running back... I could see the offense starting slow as a whole.

I understand not wanting to beat a FCS team by 60
There's not reason for that line of thinking though. This isn't 1988 or 1992. You get noticed by putting up points. Not to mention the FCS teams for the most part no exactly what this game is. Outside of may 4-5 FCS programs these games are scheduled for money and money only. They allow us to pay them to come in and be our punching bags to gear up for the real games. It's why the NCAA allowed/mandated these games to be apart of the counting of your record. If we beat them 100-0 no one can be mad. Unless your starters are in there throwing deep posts every play.

No if you have your 2s and 3s in there running like they were the 1s there's nothing wrong with that. I go back to what Urban Meyer(yea I know) said after they soundly beat Miami and he was throwing bombs in the 4th with their 3rd string QB. Urban said he refused to apologize because that 3rd string QB comes to practice and prepares like every other player. What right did he have to tell the kid to just go out there and just hand it off for a quarter. Now he can tell his grandkids that he threw a TD pass against the Miami Hurricanes.

Sure there is sportsmanship, but you also owe it to your fans to put on an exciting show. Taking their air out of the ball midway through the 3rd quarter is just complete garbage and oh by the way doing that crap played a role in costing us a potential East Division crown last year when we wasted several quarters of garbage time with out backups just handing it off and running clock. Sure Zban lack in talent, but he would have faired a little better had it not been 2 months since he threw a legit pass in a game.

There's not reason for that line of thinking though. This isn't 1988 or 1992. You get noticed by putting up points. Not to mention the FCS teams for the most part no exactly what this game is. Outside of may 4-5 FCS programs these games are scheduled for money and money only. They allow us to pay them to come in and be our punching bags to gear up for the real games. It's why the NCAA allowed/mandated these games to be apart of the counting of your record. If we beat them 100-0 no one can be mad. Unless your starters are in there throwing deep posts every play.

No if you have your 2s and 3s in there running like they were the 1s there's nothing wrong with that. I go back to what Urban Meyer(yea I know) said after they soundly beat Miami and he was throwing bombs in the 4th with their 3rd string QB. Urban said he refused to apologize because that 3rd string QB comes to practice and prepares like every other player. What right did he have to tell the kid to just go out there and just hand it off for a quarter. Now he can tell his grandkids that he threw a TD pass against the Miami Hurricanes.

Sure there is sportsmanship, but you also owe it to your fans to put on an exciting show. Taking their air out of the ball midway through the 3rd quarter is just complete garbage and oh by the way doing that crap played a role in costing us a potential East Division crown last year when we wasted several quarters of garbage time with out backups just handing it off and running clock. Sure Zban lack in talent, but he would have faired a little better had it not been 2 months since he threw a legit pass in a game.
There has to be a balance... Beating a team by more than 55-60 points is just going to make people think you're a bunch of douchebags (let alone the team you're beating the brakes off of). Every year some P5 team hammers an FCS team 77-0 and gets crushed for it online.

Let the backups play, and play for real, but there's no reason to be poor sportsmen in the process. Huff won't beat Norfolk State 100-0 even if he could.

Reactions: Herdmaster
There has to be a balance... Beating a team by more than 55-60 points is just going to make people think you're a bunch of douchebags (let alone the team you're beating the brakes off of). Every year some P5 team hammers an FCS team 77-0 and gets crushed for it online.

Let the backups play, and play for real, but there's no reason to be poor sportsmen in the process. Huff won't beat Norfolk State 100-0 even if he could.
I just see it a bit different I guess. I think it's a bigger slap in the face to your opponent to attempt not to score. Sure don't have your 1s in or even if you want to have the 3 in there late in the 4th. You should still be running your offense with the intent to score.

There's another important variable that's been introduced into CFB and Huff eluded to it. No more can you just RS freshman or just put them on the KO units. With the new portal rules and the rumored free-for-all coming you had better get those skill position guys out there as much as possible and let them actually play ball or they're leaving.

Also I wouldn't say Huff wouldn't do it. This guy was out there chucking bombs with Fancher with 17 seconds left in the game against FIU and calling timeouts to do it. That's was so frustrating last season. Against NAVY we're out there trying to put up points from start to finish and at home he's pissing up Butch Davis. Then we're on the road against UNT and Charlotte and Zban is out there for nearly 4 quarters of combined play and just handing the ball off over and over again to run clock.

Huff also vowed to be the team everyone hates to play because we're NEVER going to stop scoring. That the backups in the 4th were going to play like the 1s in the 1st.

Reactions: Jartard
The snooze fest portion is where we should be allowing our second string offense to continue to run our normal first string playbook to gain experience... I understand not wanting to beat a FCS team by 60, but if the second unit can drive the ball downfield and score, let em. At least until the last few minutes.

I just hope we get in that situation... New QB, new offensive line, backup running back... I could see the offense starting slow as a whole.

No, this will backfire.

Look at Wells and Zban, when Wells was done and Zban came in and did his own thing. The moment Wells had a bad game, idiots wanted to bench him because, "look at Zban's playing against Navy!!"
When people respectfully reminded them that Zban was doing mop up work and it really isn't a testament of his abilities against a real opponent, it was, "Aw give him a chance!!! Wells sucks!!! Worst QB I've ever seen!! Fire Doc! Fire Hamrick! Fire the plumbing in the Joan toilets too!!"

A backup is simply that. In cases where he doesn't need to come in and act like the starter, he shouldn't. It gives you all a false sense of hope that he is better and the turmoil within the team is holding him back...or that it's Huff's incompetence that the start is the backup, not the #1.
It starts dumb rumors, gives idiot fans the excuse to not attend and turn on the team, and ultimately proves you wrong but you'd never admit it.

This game really needs to be about defense anyway. I'd prefer them scoring only 35 but also pitching a shutout.

Sure there is sportsmanship, but you also owe it to your fans to put on an exciting show.

No, that's for the stadium to do, remember? The removal of advertisements and everything that pays for MU to keep ticket costs affordable because fans don't want to watch what's on the field.
Hahaha that was a joke (before you lose it on me and the tsunami of text hits the thread) lol.

Then again, you speak about the FCS programs with a sort of unwritten understanding of what to expect from their FBS games...you think that stops with the teams?
Plenty of fans for this game, expect MU to be up by 5 touchdowns AT LEAST by halftime.
I agree that these games are generally looked at as a very expensive scrimmage, but they really should be treated as such and we really aren't going to have an accurate measure of how good everyone is until they get more into the season.

No, this will backfire.

Look at Wells and Zban, when Wells was done and Zban came in and did his own thing. The moment Wells had a bad game, idiots wanted to bench him because, "look at Zban's playing against Navy!!"
When people respectfully reminded them that Zban was doing mop up work and it really isn't a testament of his abilities against a real opponent, it was, "Aw give him a chance!!! Wells sucks!!! Worst QB I've ever seen!! Fire Doc! Fire Hamrick! Fire the plumbing in the Joan toilets too!!"

A backup is simply that. In cases where he doesn't need to come in and act like the starter, he shouldn't. It gives you all a false sense of hope that he is better and the turmoil within the team is holding him back...or that it's Huff's incompetence that the start is the backup, not the #1.
It starts dumb rumors, gives idiot fans the excuse to not attend and turn on the team, and ultimately proves you wrong but you'd never admit it.

This game really needs to be about defense anyway. I'd prefer them scoring only 35 but also pitching a shutout.
A big reason why Zban looked so bad late in the season is we never allowed him to run the offense when he came in during mop up duty. It is a dumb move to just send them out and do handoffs the rest of the game. Injuries happen and you need to be prepared for them. This staff was not prepared for Grant going down.

No, that's for the stadium to do, remember? The removal of advertisements and everything that pays for MU to keep ticket costs affordable because fans don't want to watch what's on the field.
Hahaha that was a joke (before you lose it on me and the tsunami of text hits the thread) lol.

Then again, you speak about the FCS programs with a sort of unwritten understanding of what to expect from their FBS games...you think that stops with the teams?
Plenty of fans for this game, expect MU to be up by 5 touchdowns AT LEAST by halftime.
I agree that these games are generally looked at as a very expensive scrimmage, but they really should be treated as such and we really aren't going to have an accurate measure of how good everyone is until they get more into the season.
No one claimed it to be a measure of anything. It's a glorified scrimmage. My point is when you put the backups in midway through the 3rd quarter keep coaching the game like the 1s were in. Don't spend the next 20 minutes of game time and 1.5 hours of real time handing the ball off on dive plays and then wonder why the stadium emptied out.

Not to mention those backups show up to practice and put the same amount of work in. They take the beatings all season long helping the 1s prepare. Let them have some fun.

No one claimed it to be a measure of anything. It's a glorified scrimmage. My point is when you put the backups in midway through the 3rd quarter keep coaching the game like the 1s were in. Don't spend the next 20 minutes of game time and 1.5 hours of real time handing the ball off on dive plays and then wonder why the stadium emptied out.

Not to mention those backups show up to practice and put the same amount of work in. They take the beatings all season long helping the 1s prepare. Let them have some fun.

I agree the backup should be ready to go, and really, MU hasn't't had a true backup who could literally pick up the football and lead an offense since Froh. I don't recall how much we had seen of him

And my point is, the stadium is going to empty out anyway. People are going into this game, expecting to be resuming tailgating and wrapping up midway through the 3rd quarter.

Unless people have an absolute reason to be there the entire game, like if some TD streak or some statistic were spoken about, they'll not give it much care.

I think they should just mix and match the starters and backups.

I will say, the lone positive of having Gardner Webb, is they are in October, so the backups CAN get more in game reps without risking blowing a lead.

Funny how you're not attacking wku's credibility by mentioning that win was against a team with a losing record.
??? WTF do you actually mean? We weren’t an FCS team, a conference rival beat us that bad at home. The damn record shouldn’t matter. We need to play exciting football and blast teams like the Pruett coached teams would.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Prediction:
9165a-ha4ih.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT