ADVERTISEMENT

November 14 1970 memories

KyMUfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2020
I was only 7 when the plane crash happened. I remember the night of the crash when my dad was called at home to setup a triage at Cabell Huntington and Mom's reaction when he called and told her it was likely the Marshall football team and he was heading to Tri-State.

My next memory believe it or not was the following Easter when I saw some kids walking into Enslow Park Presbyterian with their grandparents and thinking their parents were gone and they'd never see them again.

Not trying to stir up bad or painful memories but just interested in other's thoughts and recollections. My dad was a WWII combat veteran and I believe the carnage, sights, smells, etc. reminded him of the ugly realities of war.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Most people recount these closer to the actual date but mine is being 8 years old living in Owings Mills MD. My parents were both from Huntington and the day after it happened, my mom baked a cake and took it to the Baltimore Colts headquarters also in Owings Mills. I guess she wanted them to know local residents and Colts supporters were also affected by the crash. They were nice enough to give her a stack of individual 8*10 black and white photos of the team and make a donation to Marshall University.

Most people recount these closer to the actual date but mine is being 8 years old living in Owings Mills MD. My parents were both from Huntington and the day after it happened, my mom baked a cake and took it to the Baltimore Colts headquarters also in Owings Mills. I guess she wanted them to know local residents and Colts supporters were also affected by the crash. They were nice enough to give her a stack of individual 8*10 black and white photos of the team and make a donation to Marshall University.
That is a neat story. While technology has made the world appear smaller it was a much smaller, more community minded world.back then. Could you imagine taking a homemade cake to an NFL team today? She might have never made it past security.

Last edited:
There can't only be two of us here old enough to remember the days, weeks and months following November 14, 1970. Not wanting to open old wounds but just curious and maybe this is an opportunity for some to say what they've held in for 50 years as we venture into a new era of MU football. Posting about it here might even bring some healing to those old wounds.

There can't only be two of us here old enough to remember the days, weeks and months following November 14, 1970. Not wanting to open old wounds but just curious and maybe this is an opportunity for some to say what they've held in for 50 years as we venture into a new era of MU football. Posting about it here might even bring some healing to those old wounds.
There are more. A lot of those folks .....it’s like WWII vets. They came back from Europe & the Pacific theatre having witnessed things that they did not want to recount to family members. And, while in theory actually talking about something with a trained therapist can def help? I don’t believe tapping out a story about this serves the purpose you had in mind. And btw - begging for responses is generally frowned upon around here. For the record: I was 11, so I remember the feelings of people in my sphere more so. A little young to connect the dots. As we get closer to 11/14/21, you will see some posts....

I know it is a painful memory for many people, but if you haven't come to grips with it after 50 years maybe you never will. And if you haven't moved on, this forum is probably not the place where you might feel comfortable spilling your feelings. I graduated in Jan., 1970 so I wasn't on campus the following Nov. and I knew just a few people on the plane, but each Nov. I think it is still appropriate to remember those who went before us and how we have progressed over time.

There are more. A lot of those folks .....it’s like WWII vets. They came back from Europe & the Pacific theatre having witnessed things that they did not want to recount to family members. And, while in theory actually talking about something with a trained therapist can def help? I don’t believe tapping out a story about this serves the purpose you had in mind. And btw - begging for responses is generally frowned upon around here. For the record: I was 11, so I remember the feelings of people in my sphere more so. A little young to connect the dots. As we get closer to 11/14/21, you will see some posts....
Thanks for the response. If you read my original post you will see my dad was one of those combat vets that came back from the South Pacific only to be reminded of it when he arrived on the scene so I understand what you are saying. It took me several years to be able to watch We Are Marshall. Most of those WWII combat veterans have passed on so my post wasn't directed to them but maybe those a little older than myself that had a little more perspective and context than I do.

It is hard to believe it has been 50 years. I meant no disrespect but am dealing with a Covid quarantine right now. Only wake up for a few and then get bored sitting around. Scanned the recordings and watched the Keith Morehouse TV special for the first time and got me thinking about it.

Again my apologies to any one offended.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Thanks for the response. If you read my original post you will see my dad was one of those combat vets that came back from the South Pacific only to be reminded of it when he arrived on the scene so I understand what you are saying. It took me several years to be able to watch We Are Marshall. Most of those WWII combat veterans have passed on so my post wasn't directed to them but maybe those a little older than myself that had a little more perspective and context than I do.

It is hard to believe it has been 50 years. I meant no disrespect but am dealing with a Covid quarantine right now. Only wake up for a few and then get bored sitting around. Scanned the recordings and watched the Keith Morehouse TV special for the first time and got me thinking about it.

Again my apologies to any one offended.
No one’s offended, of that I am sure. It is part of our DNA, and you approached it with respect.

Reactions: KyMUfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT