ADVERTISEMENT

Nyquan Harris

Yup.
sand-bury-your-head-in-the-sand.jpg

Doc's willingness to bring in guys that fit the Huntington mold.
As far as anyone knows this is the first time Harris has done anything wrong off the field so i wouldn't call him a drug-using criminal if that is your intent. I believe there are some major family issues going on that may be having an effect on his play, but I don't believe he is a bad guy. He made bad choices to be out that late and its hard to tell what the obstruction charge was for, but I wouldn't call him a criminal for that sort of thing.

When will it all end? How many quitters and jail birds does this make out of that class?
We still have a majority of the 2014 class on the roster with several very good starters and backups so that class was pretty good overall . I believe you are thinking about 2015 class, which only has 14 of 29 scholarship recruits that have either completed their eligibility or are on the roster.

Remember the days when a Marshall player would get arrested and the public would actually expect to know what happened? Did the AD even release a statement? Even worse, did anyone from the local press even ask Doc in his presser?

Remember the days when a Marshall player would get arrested and the public would actually expect to know what happened? Did the AD even release a statement? Even worse, did anyone from the local press even ask Doc in his presser?

Hamrick didn't release a statement as it's not really his position to do so. If there were going to be a statement released, it would've came from Doc's office.

No one questioned Doc about it during the press conference, but there's really no reason to. I'm sure there was an update given (off the record) and the media let it go after that. Plus, we have acess to practice and can see first hand if he's practicing or not.

Why doesn't someone just go the the Cabell County magistrate clerk and get a copy of the criminal complaint?

How about we follow the advice of the famous Beatles' Song. "Let It Be". In time we will know what we need to know about the situation. It's just not fast enough for many of us. That impatience will have no impact on what eventually happens.

Hamrick didn't release a statement as it's not really his position to do so. If there were going to be a statement released, it would've came from Doc's office.

No one questioned Doc about it during the press conference, but there's really no reason to. I'm sure there was an update given (off the record) and the media let it go after that. Plus, we have access to practice and can see first hand if he's practicing or not.
By "AD" I meant Athletic Department. In the past, there would usually be a statement (like you said, coming from the coach) that would be released to the press to acknowledge the event and provide some assurances it was being investigated. It would normally be a boiler-plate kind of thing, but at least it was publicly acknowledged. That doesn't happen anymore, and the press are so scared of getting Chuck Landon'd out of the building they won't ask.

Again, the nature of these instances - from Durant's seemingly-major shooting to Harris' seemingly-minor misdemeanor arrest - aren't really what bothers me, its the fact that they just disappear into the ether after they happen, and any question about them is met by a gas-lit chorus of "why are you asking just let it go."

We can hardly make fun of FAU or any other school until we get our own house in order.

By "AD" I meant Athletic Department. In the past, there would usually be a statement (like you said, coming from the coach) that would be released to the press to acknowledge the event and provide some assurances it was being investigated. It would normally be a boiler-plate kind of thing, but at least it was publicly acknowledged. That doesn't happen anymore, and the press are so scared of getting Chuck Landon'd out of the building they won't ask.

Again, the nature of these instances - from Durant's seemingly-major shooting to Harris' seemingly-minor misdemeanor arrest - aren't really what bothers me, its the fact that they just disappear into the ether after they happen, and any question about them is met by a gas-lit chorus of "why are you asking just let it go."

Honestly, the less that you hear about it, the better off the situation is.

If it were something dreadfully serious, then you'd hear about it, meaning the player or person would be eliminated from the program.

Given Harris' situation, I'd imagine it's being handled internally and we'll never hear much more than what the police report mentioned.

And that's the way I think it should be.

Reactions: pdbailey and ToesMU
If it were something dreadfully serious, then you'd hear about it, meaning the player or person would be eliminated from the program.
At which time, we as fans would know the player in question:

1) Tweeted something nasty about Chuck Heater
2) Assaulted a woman
3) Was under Federal investigation for ancillary participation in a massive heroin distribution scheme
4) Was upset about lack of playing time

At which time, we as fans would know the player in question:

1) Tweeted something nasty about Chuck Heater
2) Assaulted a woman
3) Was under Federal investigation for ancillary participation in a massive heroin distribution scheme
4) Was upset about lack of playing time

1) Issues with following instruction and lacked dedication to the program

2) I don't even know who you're talking about here

3) Was removed from team

4) Applie to countless departures

1. With Heater's track record of running DBs out of the program, maybe its time some blame is placed on him. Especially DBs he didnt personally recruit but kept around a convict drug conspirator then lied about it and said he had "family issues" back home. Then had the Herald-Dispatch run a feel good story all while knowing Lang was under federal investigation.

2. Pretty sure he is talking about Kevin Grooms or Brian Robinson.

3. He was around for too long and almost cost Doc the locker room.

4. Welcome to Modern Day College Athletics where kids transfer at the drop of the hat for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I think maybe you misunderstood my gist. I was just being sarcastic, about how every player's departure is treated with the same degree of opaqueness - mum's the word and move on, no questions please - so you can't really say the fans will know when something really bad has happened, just because a guy is off the team suddenly.

I think maybe you misunderstood my gist. I was just being sarcastic, about how every player's departure is treated with the same degree of opaqueness - mum's the word and move on, no questions please - so you can't really say the fans will know when something really bad has happened, just because a guy is off the team suddenly.

I just don't understand the idea of feeling like you're entitled to that info just because you're a fan.

I'm not gonna sit here and act like I don't want to know, but if someone ignores my question or says "we're not going to comment on such," then so be it.

I have much more concern about the other 80-some kids that do want to be part of the program and have shown that they care not only about themselves, but being a representative of the university.

Maybe I'm wrong in saying this, but forget about the Tiquan Lang's, AJ Leggett's, etc of the world, because they don't care about anyone but themselves.

Although NyQuan Harris made a mistake in similar fashion, the young man has been dealing with something that no one should ever have to deal with either so I'm gonna cut him a break.

Reactions: 19MU88 and ToesMU
I have much more concern about the other 80-some kids that do want to be part of the program and have shown that they care not only about themselves, but being a representative of the university.

That's the point. There are athletes who, by their actions, show they don't care about being a representative of the university and break the law. Many of them are not dismissed and nothing is said about the incidents/their status . . . like those who admit to the FBI that they are part of a heroin distribution ring yet have nothing mentioned about it and are allowed to get two INTs a few weeks later against a Big 10 school.

Hey, if you want to run a rogue program, so be it. Just don't say one thing and then do another.

That's the point. There are athletes who, by their actions, show they don't care about being a representative of the university and break the law. Many of them are not dismissed and nothing is said about the incidents/their status . . . like those who admit to the FBI that they are part of a heroin distribution ring yet have nothing mentioned about it and are allowed to get two INTs a few weeks later against a Big 10 school.

Hey, if you want to run a rogue program, so be it. Just don't say one thing and then do another.

From what I know of the situation, the information provided to the staff was not nearly as concerning as the report that was later filed.

I just don't understand the idea of feeling like you're entitled to that info just because you're a fan.

I'm not gonna sit here and act like I don't want to know, but if someone ignores my question or says "we're not going to comment on such," then so be it.

Maybe I'm wrong in saying this, but forget about the Tiquan Lang's, AJ Leggett's, etc of the world, because they don't care about anyone but themselves.

Although NyQuan Harris made a mistake in similar fashion, the young man has been dealing with something that no one should ever have to deal with either so I'm gonna cut him a break.
as a marshall grad( I have degrees from both schools and support both) I feel the problem is more about the overall direction of the program and the number of times issues like Harris has taken place over the last several years. Fans want to know what is going on because they have concerns about the program

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
as a marshall grad( I have degrees from both schools and support both) I feel the problem is more about the overall direction of the program and the number of times issues like Harris has taken place over the last several years. Fans want to know what is going on because they have concerns about the program

And that's very understandable, but this stuff happens everywhere.

The Fulmer Cup is a fan site that covers legal issues across college football. Every arrest or legal issue is figured into a points based system and recorded.

Marshall wasn't even inside the Top 40 in 2017, and finished outside of the Top 25 last year. For that matter, there were 4 or 5 C-USA schools ahead of them in 2017.

I'm not excusing it. I'm just saying that things aren't nearly as bad as some would portray it to be.

Well, back in the Donnan and Pruett days players did the same stuff, but no one ever heard about it as it was taken care of in-house, and the fans were fine with that in most cases. Now it seems that everyone is on a witch hunt to hang anyone associated with the football program for even minor infractions that usually result in a heavy dose of step running and maybe a 1-2 game suspension. By the way, it wasn't Durant that was shot in a crossfire between two groups.

1. With Heater's track record of running DBs out of the program, maybe its time some blame is placed on him. Especially DBs he didnt personally recruit but kept around a convict drug conspirator then lied about it and said he had "family issues" back home. Then had the Herald-Dispatch run a feel good story all while knowing Lang was under federal investigation.

2. Pretty sure he is talking about Kevin Grooms or Brian Robinson.

3. He was around for too long and almost cost Doc the locker room.

4. Welcome to Modern Day College Athletics where kids transfer at the drop of the hat for whatever reason.
Robinson was dismissed pretty quickly once all the evidence was provided to the staff if I remember correctly though so it wasn't like he was given preferential treatment.

You need to worry about wvu arrests

Why? When the last player was arrested WVU fans were told who it was (Marcus Simms), what he did (DUI) and that he would be suspended for the VT game.

Player, infraction and response. Thanks to the WVU athletic department for being so transparent and keeping us fans in the loop. It is much appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT