ADVERTISEMENT

Our New QB

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Questiin for Coach Stowers. Is our new qb to be - Alex Thomson, on campus now? He finished at Wagner. Wondered if he is here working out before preseason starts.

Just curious guys. I am not in the know even close to the extent of probably most on the board, but has he actually been anointed the starter? Is he that much above the other two? Just wondering.

Just curious guys. I am not in the know even close to the extent of probably most on the board, but has he actually been anointed the starter? Is he that much above the other two? Just wondering.
I was talking to Mike Hamrick about that the other day. As he said, NOBODY in the athletic dept has done anything to sing his praises. All that has come from fans and web sites. He claims that the job is wide open for someone to take in August.

Umm huh! Yeah that is why he is doing a graduate transfer to Marshall with the expectation of maybe playing? I don’t think so and MH cannot say who will or will not start. That said I agree that we must wait until practice begins.

I can't imagine any of the QBs have been promised anything other than an opportunity to compete. There is no reason this season why the coaching staff would not play the QB that gives the team the best chance to win right away. And there is no reason why that QB should, or could, be determined until camp begins, though I'm sure they are each competing and building their resumes for the job now. We seem to have three viable candidates. Hopefully one of them distances himself from the others between now and September 1.

on paper he looks to be the starter. I agree the best guy should play regardless of who that is!

Green looked really good in the spring and spring game. Thomson will have be damn good to be the starter. That said, we win double digit games with either starting this fall. Jmo

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
I just want a strong leader that is capable of taking this team where it's talent indicates.
I don't see Thompson's record as anything outstanding. The QBs already on the team have faced stronger competition than him in practice. I put no faith in Phil Simms, I remember him touting his son. Let the winner take us to a great season!

Last edited:
Reactions: johns1124
The dude had offers from Tennessee, Baylor and others. He chose Marshall for reason.
I believe both of those schools had returning starters so those offers were less favorable than the situation at MU where the starter left for the NFL and the backups are underclassmen with little to no experience. We were a no-brainer in this situation.

Tennessee does not have a quarterback (they were the worst quarterbacked team in the SEC last year)... They have a new coach and have declared all positions up for grabs as well.

While I don't think that Doc and Co. have 100 percent made the decision as far as who will start in the fall, I would be shocked if it were anyone other than Thompson.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
RhinoD if Doc and Co has that mind set then if and only if Marshall had a loosing season then Doc and Co has no one to blame but themselves. They made that bed now sleep in it.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
JudgeDD my post was for people that say Doc and Co had made there mind up on a QB before he has even took one snap at Marshall. So I'd Doc and Company has done so and Marshall had a loseing season then there is no one to blame but Doc and Company. doc and Company made that bed so sleep in it. For the slow people on here if Marshall went say 6-6 or 7-5 don't bitch when talk of doc being fired comes up.

JudgeDD my post was for people that say Doc and Co had made there mind up on a QB before he has even took one snap at Marshall. So If Doc and Company has done so and Marshall had a loseing season then there is no one to blame but Doc and Company. doc and Company made that bed so sleep in it. For the slow people on here if Marshall went say 6-6 or 7-5 don't bitch when talk of doc being fired comes up.

herdinmichigan no need to start accusing people of being “slow” on here. We got it. It is not definite that Thomson will be the starter but with all the accolades surrounding him and his decision to come to Marshall it does appear that he may be the QB BUT only time will tell.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
JudgeDD my post was for people that say Doc and Co had made there mind up on a QB before he has even took one snap at Marshall.

Okay, so I see what you're trying to say. But that isn't at all what @RhinoD said.

...While I don't think that Doc and Co. have 100 percent made the decision as far as who will start in the fall, I would be shocked if it were anyone other than Thompson.

He's saying he doesn't think Doc has decided on a starter yet, but he (RhinoD) is expecting it to be Thompson. And to address this train of thought about Doc and his staff already anointing Thompson, or anyone, the starting QB, I'll just say I'm 100% confident about this: All any of the QBs have been promised is a chance to compete for the starting position. Thompson came to Marshall not because he was told he would start, but because he liked his chances of winning the job and he thought the supporting cast could win some games and make him look good. We can all make our predictions about who we think it will be but this is an open competition that started in the spring and will continue until game one, or when one of them establishes himself as a clear favorite.

We are sitting at 50% (3 out of 6) of posters who have correctly spelled his name. The guy in Michigan didn't make an attempt at his name, but it's clear that he also would have butchered it, so I'm going to say 43%.

Hopefully, his completion percentage is better than our spelling, but based on his performance at the FCS level, that may be a tough task.

We are sitting at 50% (3 out of 6) of posters who have correctly spelled his name. The guy in Michigan didn't make an attempt at his name, but it's clear that he also would have butchered it, so I'm going to say 43%.

Hopefully, his completion percentage is better than our spelling, but based on his performance at the FCS level, that may be a tough task.
No I didn't say his name and yes I can spell.

and yes I can spell.

if Doc and Co has

Have

loosing season

Losing

then Doc and Co has no one to blame

Have

Their

has even took

Taken

loseing season

Well, that's a different attempt from you but the same result: wrong. Losing

But my point wasn't to point out that you can't spell. It was to point out that before any in-depth discussions about a player's ability, it may be wise to at least familiarize yourself with his actual name.

Now, feel free to go back to talking about people being slow on here.

I heard he went to the memorial at the cemetery just cause he heard the story and seen the movie now he wanted to experience it.

Good point, and I stand on the wrong side of those numbers. In my defense, I've never actually heard his name spoken, only read about him. I did notice the spelling somewhere along the way, but reverted to a common spelling of a similar name when I posted. Just lazy. I do like to get names right. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Everyone had Korn the starter coming in as well. Lets see what happens. If Thomson is the better QB coming out of fall camp, roll with him. If not, Green will get the job done. Playing against lower NCAA competition and having the shoulder issue is a concern. Hopefully the dude is everything we have heard and more.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Well, I believe there may be a shortcut for all of us slow people. We’ve just experienced an Ot in basketball. The new guys initials are AT. Just refer to him as @.....
GoHerd!

The only person who can anoint Thomson the starter before fall camp is Isaiah Green, and I don't think he posts here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT