ADVERTISEMENT

Out of Curiosity

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
I often see threads pop up started by the same few folks, and always focusing on something negative about our 8 - 4 season. A season that saw the Herd bet two 9 win teams, an 8 win team, two 6 win teams, lose to two top 25 teams, lose to a 7 win bowl team, and lose a clunker at Middle. But thats not what I am here to discuss.

The most recent thread tended to rip on our Head Coach, (a Head Coach who has never done anything to embarrass or disrespect OUR school, yet the same folks disrespect him by not even having the courtesy to call him by the name he goes by) was ripping on our kick coverage.

Ok, it wasnt good, and you showed it to be the worst in the nation.

So, I thought, you know, it did look poor at times, I wonder how many games it cost us.

The answer....none.

A quick look

Boise:
We kicked off twice
Boise started at their 38, didnt score
Boise started at their 28, and scored

Cincinnati:
Started at the 39, scored to start the game, you could say that set the tone for the game, and I guess could have caused us to lose by 38 points
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

Middle Tennessee:
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

Charlotte:
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

So in our four losses, we kicked off 13 times. 10 saw the opponent start at the 25, one at the 28, and none outside the 40 yard line.

Now, again, I am not saying it wasnt poor. But talking about it like that is just simply someone on a witch hunt looking for something bad. Because at the end of the day...didnt cost us a single solitary football game.

Carry on

I have to give you kudos to you for finding a real silver lining in that ghastly last place statistic. I don't post much about football because I tend to be more of a sunshine pumper myself and optimism is not looked upon kindly around here, but I'm even to the point that I can't take another year of what we're watching. The things that make me grumpy:

a) Ugly and boring football games
b) Not having confidence that we can beat teams that we know we should be beating
c) Statistically terrible decisions like continually punting from the opponent's 38
d) Getting blown out nearly every time we manage to have a big game at home, killing momentum for the rest of the season
e) Repeatedly giving up and running a safe run play seemingly every single time we find ourselves in 3rd and 8+ to set up a punt
f) Not playing for championships often enough

And yes I know - it's the same stuff you see other posters spouting over and over again here. And your point was that people are griping over something that ultimately didn't cost us a single game, but when you add it to the entire body of work, it's still unacceptable. It's one of the little things that adds up to giving us the old Marshall swagger that we had back in the MAC and for a few moments in 2014. Really, it has been one of the hallmarks of Doc's football teams since he has been here, and now we can't even do that piece right.

I'll take 8-4 and a bowl game most years, as long as we're playing to win and taking some chances. But Doc's brand of football is about as exciting as choosing vanilla ice cream at a Cold Stone Creamery or picking salad on an all you can eat seafood buffet or driving a used Toyota Camry. It's not working. We aren't progressing or regressing. We're just in a constant state of not that good and not relevant. It's no fun and I don't have any expectations for next year as long as there are no changes. I love Marshall and I want more. We can't do it without changes.

The most recent thread tended to rip on our Head Coach, (a Head Coach who has never done anything to embarrass OUR school)

Oh? I was pretty embarrassed wearing a Marshall sweatshirt after losses to Charlotte (multiple times), a bad MTSU team, Old Dominion, etc.

yet the same folks disrespect him by not even having the courtesy to call him by the name he goes by)

It's disrespectful to call him by his birth name, a normal name at that?

Fine, in that case, I want to be known as "Doc Holliday should resign." That's the name I want to go by. Calling me anything else, including my birth name, is disrespectful.

And he has shown plenty of disrespect. For two or three years in a row, I sent him a text message (once a year). He didn't have the tact to respond - to an alum from that school - even though one of his coordinators went to bat for me. I can email Herm Edwards right now, and he will get back to me within 10 minutes. Same with Rick Stockstill. I can text PJ Fleck, and he will say "Ryan, my guy! What's going on?" within a few minutes. I can text the UTEP head coach and have him CALL me back. The same thing for a handful of other FBS head coaches. But John fvcking Holliday - the coach of a school I went to - can't even respond to a text message over a three year period? The guy has no tact and lacks basic professional courtesy.

The rest of your post shows a fundamental lack of football knowledge.

Your argument is that in Marshall's losses, they didn't give up any scores on kickoffs or any horrendous field position. Let me show you how foolish of an argument that is.

You claim that allowing Boise to start their drive at the 38 didn't hurt Marshall since Boise didn't score on that drive. Well, what happens if Boise (or any other team) gains 15 yards, then punts it to Marshall's 5? Instead of Boise starting at the 21 yard line, gaining 15 yards, then punting to where Marshall has the ball at the 20, due to giving Boise great field position, Marshall ends up backed up and having to play conservatively on offense.

See where I am going with this? Field position is a huge advantage in the sport. And that is one thing John surprisingly understands. That is what is baffling about his special teams - he doesn't have the data nor the knowledge to understand what he should be doing schematically and strategically on special teams. So by arguing that bad kick coverage didn't hurt Marshall just because the opponent didn't score on that particular drive is not how football works.

I spent a summer working with and consulting a group of Brown University alums on important studies and yielding data for what truly is important. I have very specific data for every single drive (including starting field position, percentages of scoring by FG/TDs, punts, INTs, etc.) of every single FBS vs. FBS game (throwing out garbage drives at the end of half/game) for each of the past three years.

I know what is/isn't important in allowing opponents to have certain field position starting points. With one simple schematic adjustment, I could greatly improve Marshall's kick coverage ranking.

Oh? I was pretty embarrassed wearing a Marshall sweatshirt after losses to Charlotte (multiple times), a bad MTSU team, Old Dominion, etc.

Fine, in that case, I want to be known as "Doc Holliday should resign." That's the name I want to go by. Calling me anything else, including my birth name, is disrespectful.

And he has shown plenty of disrespect. For two or three years in a row, I sent him a text message (once a year). He didn't have the tact to respond - to an alum from that school - even though one of his coordinators went to bat for me. I can email Herm Edwards right now, and he will get back to me within 10 minutes. Same with Rick Stockstill. I can text PJ Fleck, and he will say "Ryan, my guy! What's going on?" within a few minutes. I can text the UTEP head coach and have him CALL me back. The same thing for a handful of other FBS head coaches. But John fvcking Holliday - the coach of a school I went to - can't even respond to a text message over a three year period? The guy has no tact and lacks basic professional courtesy.

Your argument is that in Marshall's losses, they didn't give up any scores on kickoffs or any horrendous field position. Let me show you how foolish of an argument that is.

You claim that allowing Boise to start their drive at the 38 didn't hurt Marshall since Boise didn't score on that drive. Well, what happens if Boise (or any other team) gains 15 yards, then punts it to Marshall's 5? Instead of Boise starting at the 21 yard line, gaining 15 yards, then punting to where Marshall has the ball at the 20, due to giving Boise great field position, Marshall ends up backed up and having to play conservatively on offense.

See where I am going with this? Field position is a huge advantage in the sport. And that is one thing John surprisingly understands. That is what is baffling about his special teams - he doesn't have the data nor the knowledge to understand what he should be doing schematically and strategically on special teams. So by arguing that bad kick coverage didn't hurt Marshall just because the opponent didn't score on that particular drive is not how football works.

I spent a summer working with and consulting a group of Brown University alums on important studies and yielding data for what truly is important. I have very specific data for every single drive (including starting field position, percentages of scoring by FG/TDs, punts, INTs, etc.) of every single FBS vs. FBS game (throwing out garbage drives at the end of half/game) for each of the past three years.

I know what is/isn't important in allowing opponents to have certain field position starting points. With one simple schematic adjustment, I could greatly improve Marshall's kick coverage ranking.
You aren’t Gags anymore? Why? Not Embarrassed to wear your Marshall gear to the Forum and the Salt Palace ? Good for you, glad you are living the lifestyle of the popular. So Jeannie wants to bang you? Represent. For 1979. Gen X , If that happens, please wear Kelly green undies, or whatever or you could buy with your settlement. You text Doc or a coach? If you have that number , why not just call him and ask questions? If they are screening calls, they are most certainly are screening texts. Why not just go to Hurricane and knock on the door?
I love your stories, would make a good movie, Ryan Gump. Did it all. Been the first.
Tired of hearing about Brown. UPS or Cleveland? Yes we can all be a smart ass. I know that the Browns are plural.

Last edited:
I often see threads pop up started by the same few folks, and always focusing on something negative about our 8 - 4 season. A season that saw the Herd bet two 9 win teams, an 8 win team, two 6 win teams, lose to two top 25 teams, lose to a 7 win bowl team, and lose a clunker at Middle. But thats not what I am here to discuss.

The most recent thread tended to rip on our Head Coach, (a Head Coach who has never done anything to embarrass or disrespect OUR school, yet the same folks disrespect him by not even having the courtesy to call him by the name he goes by) was ripping on our kick coverage.

So, I thought, you know, it did look poor at times, I wonder how many games it cost us.

The answer....none.

A quick look

Boise:
We kicked off twice

Cincinnati:
Started at the 39, scored to start the game, you could say that set the tone for the game, and I guess could have caused us to lose by 38 points
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

Middle Tennessee:
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

Charlotte:
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

So in our four losses, we kicked off 13 times. 10 saw the opponent start at the 25, one at the 28, and none outside the 40 yard line.

Now, again, I am not saying it wasnt poor. But talking about it like that is just simply someone on a witch hunt looking for something bad. Because at the end of the day...didnt cost us a single solitary football game.

Carry on

-One conference championship in a decade in the worst conference in America.
-no divisional titles in half a decade, in the worst conference in America
-less NFL draft picks in the last four years than the University of Charleston
-More people attended the Bluefield vs Bridgeport game than our home finale. I repeat, basically NO ONE showed up to a Marshall Football game

You should be a politician with your ability to spin. “Lost to a 7 win bowl team.” Give me a break. Are you too embarrassed to say “We lost our conference championship game (again) because we got STEAMROLLED by CHARLOTTE”? Because in reality land, that’s what actually happened. Or you could have said “Lost for the second time in four years to a program that DIDNT EXIST when Holiday took over here”.

I’m with you. I’m embarrassed to admit those things as well.

The most recent thread tended to rip on our Head Coach, (a Head Coach who has never done anything to embarrass OUR school)

yet the same folks disrespect him by not even having the courtesy to call him by the name he goes by)

I really have no idea how some of the people get mad when others call him John. If he signed his contract “Doc”, we don’t owe him any buyout.

The answer....none.

A quick look

Boise:
We kicked off twice

Cincinnati:
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

Middle Tennessee:
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

Charlotte:
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25
Started at the 25

Carry on

We got it. Field position means nothing in a football game. Especially at Marshall. Thanks.

Fully aware of the “fundamental aspects of field position” of however you worded it.

That one drive you picked out in a game we lost. I get how flipping field position works. That particular kick did not. And even if it did. It was one drive. All year.

Again. I am not saying we weren’t terrible in kick coverage. Simply saying that kick coverage did not cost us a game all year.

And you can call me dumb all ya want. But I know why you call him John. It’s disrespectful.

Again. Not trying to defend our kick coverage. Simply wanted to take a look to see if it cost us any football games this year. And the answer is, it didn’t. At all.

Fully aware of the “fundamental aspects of field position” of however you worded it.

That one drive you picked out in a game we lost. I get how flipping field position works. That particular kick did not. And even if it did. It was one drive. All year.

Again. I am not saying we weren’t terrible in kick coverage. Simply saying that kick coverage did not cost us a game all year.

And you can call me dumb all ya want. But I know why you call him John. It’s disrespectful.

Again. Not trying to defend our kick coverage. Simply wanted to take a look to see if it cost us any football games this year. And the answer is, it didn’t. At all.
What cost us games, or was it we just always lost to the better team?

Reactions: Elkview
You guys watch the games. It was clear

Couldn’t score against Boise, but not because of kick off coverage

Turnovers, and a lot of them against middle, but not because of kickoff coverage

Charlotte was crap weather, botched plays by players, and lost, but not because of kickoff coverage

Cincinnati best is because they were better. A lot better and we played about as poorly as a team can play. Happens every week in sports, all sports, but it was not because of kickoff coverage.

Reactions: putnam green
You guys watch the games. It was clear

Turnovers, and a lot of them against middle, but not because of kickoff coverage

Charlotte was crap weather, botched plays by players, and lost, but not because of kickoff coverage

Cincinnati best is because they were better. A lot better and we played about as poorly as a team can play. Happens every week in sports, all sports, but it was not because of kickoff coverage.
The crazy thing about the Charlotte game is that they didn’t have to play in the exact same weather that we did. It’s not like we are a warm weather team traveling to the cold. It rains in Huntington...A LOT. What about MTSU? A “hangover” is on coaching.

I agree about Charlotte. They played in the same weather. Their players made more plays than ours did. Period.

I don’t think Middle was a hangover. We beat them up and down the field all day but turned the ball over way too much.

Couldn't score against Bose, because they refused to run North and South. The only time they committed to running up the middle was the 2nd and 3rd possession and they made the most yards in any other possession. Then simply abandon it.

We kicked off 13 times in those four losses. Take out the kickoffs from the four coin flips, we averaged two kickoffs a game.

I don't think kickoff coverage is likely to impact things much if your team only scores twice the whole game.

Also, I don't get this whole "it's wrong to criticize Doc" thing. Based on what I've seen, if a player underperforms or gets passed up on depth chart, the coaching staff doesn't sit the kid down and say "I'm sure there's plenty of reasons for this, you're doing the best you can with the resources you have, don't get discouraged, you can still start Saturday."

F--- no, they point to the transfer portal.

I have to give you kudos to you for finding a real silver lining in that ghastly last place statistic. I don't post much about football because I tend to be more of a sunshine pumper myself and optimism is not looked upon kindly around here, but I'm even to the point that I can't take another year of what we're watching. The things that make me grumpy:

a) Ugly and boring football games
b) Not having confidence that we can beat teams that we know we should be beating
c) Statistically terrible decisions like continually punting from the opponent's 38
d) Getting blown out nearly every time we manage to have a big game at home, killing momentum for the rest of the season
e) Repeatedly giving up and running a safe run play seemingly every single time we find ourselves in 3rd and 8+ to set up a punt
f) Not playing for championships often enough

And yes I know - it's the same stuff you see other posters spouting over and over again here. And your point was that people are griping over something that ultimately didn't cost us a single game, but when you add it to the entire body of work, it's still unacceptable. It's one of the little things that adds up to giving us the old Marshall swagger that we had back in the MAC and for a few moments in 2014. Really, it has been one of the hallmarks of Doc's football teams since he has been here, and now we can't even do that piece right.

I'll take 8-4 and a bowl game most years, as long as we're playing to win and taking some chances. But Doc's brand of football is about as exciting as choosing vanilla ice cream at a Cold Stone Creamery or picking salad on an all you can eat seafood buffet or driving a used Toyota Camry. It's not working. We aren't progressing or regressing. We're just in a constant state of not that good and not relevant. It's no fun and I don't have any expectations for next year as long as there are no changes. I love Marshall and I want more. We can't do it without changes.

Thank you, @mu_herd . Well stated, and I share most of the sentiment here. For me, it's not really that we were 8-4; it's that we should have been 10-2 at a minimum. And those extra two losses are the difference in a Conference championship game and just another decent season. I'm glad we aren't having repeats of 2016. But I also don't want to settle for repeats of 2017 and 2018.

@Aaron Perkins is the consumate cheerleader on here, and I think some of his passive-aggressive comments get burried by those who don't want to hear anything positive in a non-Championship season. In past seasons, posters have been critical of Marshall not winning games against good teams. Now, I'm not saying every bowl-elligible team is automatically a "good" team, but we did play eight teams that finished with 6 wins or more. We have wins against an 8-win WKU and 9-win LA Tech and FAU. I would probably be looking differently at this season had we lost to La Tech and FAU while beating Charlotte and MTSU. Still disappointed in what could have been, maybe instead of what should have been. Lost in there is that we did beat a few "good " teams this year.

One way or the other, though, and despite AP's kelly green glasses, I am disappointed in this season.

Two other points: 1) Calling Doc by his given name probably doesn't rise to the level of disrespect, but it is certainly a jab. Otherwise, those of you calling him "John" would all be using the nickname he prefers. 2) My wife drives a used Camry. It is a huge stain on the family repuation.

Last edited:

2.0 bets $200 that you never wear Herd gear. You aren't here as a fan. You are here to try and make yourself relevant. Fail, just like this latest booklet.

Good post, Doc Holliday should resign. I appreciate you knowledge on the subject. Feel free to post here anytime, Doc Holliday should resign.

Thank you, @mu_herd . Well stated, and I share most of the sentiment here. For me, it's not really that we were 8-4; it's that we should have been 10-2 at a minimum. And those extra two losses are the difference in a Conference championship game and just another decent season. I'm glad we aren't having repeats of 2016. But I also don't want to settle for repeats of 2017 and 2018.

@Aaron Perkins is the consumate cheerleader on here, and I think some of his passive-aggressive comments get burried by those who don't want to hear anything positive in a non-Championship season. In past seasons, posters have been critical of Marshall not winning games against good teams. Now, I'm not saying every bowl-elligible team is automatically a "good" team, but we did play eight teams that finished with 6 wins or more. We have wins against an 8-win WKU and 9-win LA Tech and FAU. I would probably be looking differently at this season had we lost to La Tech and FAU while beating Charlotte and MTSU. Still disappointed in what could have been, maybe instead of what should have been. Lost in there is that we did beat a few "good " teams this year.

One way or the other, though, and despite AP's kelly green glasses, I am disappointed in this season.

Two other points: 1) Calling Doc by his given name probably doesn't rise to the level of disrespect, but it is certainly a jab. Otherwise, those of you calling him "John" would all be using the nickname he prefers. 2) My wife drives a used Camry. It is a huge stain on the family repuation.

Fantastic post!

... and I am sorry about your automobile situation, however, isn't that really the sensible choice?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT