ADVERTISEMENT

Pennington Rumor

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Heard this rumor at the Charlotte game last week and again at today’s game from different people who would know that Chad gave up his box - furnishing and all. I find this hard to believe but some who sit up in the boxes tell me it’s true. Anyone heard this rumor?

I thought you were going to say he needed to be OC. Yes he did give up his box.

I'm certainly not in the know. You feel confident there's nothing else to it besides he was too busy?

I’ve been wondering all year why we haven’t seen anything about Pennington. I know he is coaching a high school team and that would take up a lot of time but wondered if there was some friction with the program.

I’ve been wondering all year why we haven’t seen anything about Pennington. I know he is coaching a high school team and that would take up a lot of time but wondered if there was some friction with the program.

Doubtful. Hamrick had him front and center with Mike D for the Vision Campaign. Chad's always had great things to say about the program during this current regime so I doubt there is friction.

He's also done speaking engagements about CTE and other things. He's very active when he isn't coaching.

Wait lol so y'all don't think there is friction? Y'all don't think a significant portion of former stars have friction? Lol ok.

Reactions: Marine03
Wait lol so y'all don't think there is friction? Y'all don't think a significant portion of former stars have friction? Lol ok.

not with Chad. he is extremely busy coaching a new high school team, flag football teams and other leagues he works with in Lexington. Plus he works with the NFL Legends program that takes his time. Chad communicates plenty with Marshall. I am not sure how he does as much as he does. 3 boys involved in different sports leagues all the time no matter what "season" it is. He and Robin love Marshall very much and what they do for youth in Central KY is amazing. I have witnessed it personally.

If there are any issues there I surely haven't seen it and haven't been reason to think it.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Yes there’s friction there and anyone saying otherwise is in denial or does not know much concerning the details why.

Probably can't afford it. 3 kids in school is expensive. Plus on a high school coach's salary? They don't make much. Have you seen the price of concessions lately? Bring the family up there and have to buy 4 hot dogs(probably more with growing boys) and some cokes and you are going to drop a 100 bucks before you know it and not to mention the tank of gas frome Lexington and back. Night games are a killer with young kids as well. Then, the next thing you know those boys will want a Moss or Leftwich jersey. 300 or 400 large right there. Not a high school coach's salary. Priorities.

Let's be honest here. Many of us were fans in that era. And, we are upset. Can you imagine how the players of that era feel?

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Let's be honest here. Many of us were fans in that era. And, we are upset. Can you imagine how the players of that era feel?

Why do you think there were a few folks trying to get Doc replaced with Pruett? It wasn’t just Jim Justice and Pruett involved in that

Why do you think there were a few folks trying to get Doc replaced with Pruett? It wasn’t just Jim Justice and Pruett involved in that
And those people and don’t truly have Marshall’s best interest at heart. Pruett quit on his team period. I know all about the promises from marcum blah blah blah. At the end of the day it was pruetts decision to quit.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
giphy.gif

I never once downplayed his accomplishments as coach. He still quit on his team the day before spring ball started
He didn't owe you or anyone else. People leave employers all the time. Schools even fire coaches all the time.

Furthermore, that doesn't explain the mediocrity that were are currently bogged down in now which is nearly 15 years later and two coaches later.

Maybe Bob Pruett and Jim Justice see what the rest of us us see which is a program that is not reaching its potential and a school administration that has not set any accountability or standards and just sitting there doing nothing while be buried in over a $2 million dollar buyout with a mediocre coach.

He didn't owe you or anyone else. People leave employers all the time. Schools even fire coaches all the time.

Furthermore, that doesn't explain the mediocrity that were are currently bogged down in now which is nearly 15 years later and two coaches later.

Maybe Bob Pruett and Jim Justice see what the rest of us us see which is a program that is not reaching its potential and a school administration that has not set any accountability or standards and just sitting there doing nothing while be buried in over a $2 million dollar buyout with a mediocre coach.
I’m not saying the program hasn’t been mired in mediocrity. My entire point was the pruett train left the station the second he quit

He gave 9 seasons and retired as the greatest coach this schools ever seen.

He was the greatest coach in history if the school but he quit on Marshall. You don’t just retired at the last minute like he did. Also look at the shape he left the program in?

I love coach Pruett as much as the next person but I am not blind to the fact that he quit in Marshall. He was also the Coach when Marshall was out on probation. People can say what they want to say but he was in charge of the program when we got caught cheating. He is lucky he didn’t get in more trouble than he did. We as a program are lucky we didn’t get in more trouble.

Exactly marine. Josh likes to play the company line. I don't know how many times we have to tell folks Bob almost died and had to quit for medical reasons

Reactions: Marine03
Yeah, it’s no coincidence that he was coming off the worst two-year stretch of his career, a bowl loss, and returning a weak roster or anything.
How many losing seasons did he have? What was his home record? Rankings? Players in NFL? Conference championships?

And, you can't be serious. Most everybody knows there were circumstances around him leaving. Frankly since he has the program has been mostly stagnant. Maybe 2 or 3 good to very good years. In over a decade. The program should be ashamed of where it is now.

Your comment is way out there.

Last edited:
How many losing seasons did he have? What was his home record? Rankings? Players in NFL? Conference championships?

And, you can't be serious. Most everybody knows there were circumstances around him leaving. Frankly since he has the program has been mostly stagnant. Maybe 2 or 3 good to very good years. In over a decade. The program should be ashamed of where it is now.

Your comment is way out there.

I am sorry. The only time I would have been ashamed of our football program was in early 1971 if the decision to abandon the 75 was made. Since the school didn’t give in to that easy and understandable action, we have a football team to watch this Saturday! Am I often disappointed about our performance on the field? You bet. Do I wish Doc & Co would capitalize on the talent that exists on this years team and stay aggressive for all 4 quarters? Absolutely. But, will I ever be “ashamed” of the Marshall Thundering Herd football team? NFWay. We are where Lengyel promised we would one day be, “where winning is the only thing that matters”. That didn’t happen for a really long time. We have a game this Saturday. Complain, celebrate, second guess, be pissed, have your gut twist in the waning moments of an excruciantingly close contest. Just don’t ever be ashamed of our program. You spit on their graves if you do....
WS

I am sorry. The only time I would have been ashamed of our football program was in early 1971 if the decision to abandon the 75 was made. Since the school didn’t give in to that easy and understandable action, we have a football team to watch this Saturday! Am I often disappointed about our performance on the field? You bet. Do I wish Doc & Co would capitalize on the talent that exists on this years team and stay aggressive for all 4 quarters? Absolutely. But, will I ever be “ashamed” of the Marshall Thundering Herd football team? NFWay. We are where Lengyel promised we would one day be, “where winning is the only thing that matters”. That didn’t happen for a really long time. We have a game this Saturday. Complain, celebrate, second guess, be pissed, have your gut twist in the waning moments of an excruciantingly close contest. Just don’t ever be ashamed of our program. You spit on their graves if you do....
WS
I said the program should be ashamed. Not you or me. And spare me, the spitting on the graves stuff. This is 2018 and we are talking about the program now.

They are mired in mediocrity right now. It is boring, stale, and stagnant.

And yet with all that said he was still sought after by prominent Alumni and players to replace who we have now, let that sink in for a bit
Yet he quit on a program and yes...he as the leader got us on probation. Facts don’t lie...he was the captain of the ship when we were cheating.

I love what he did for us and how he coached but his last two years we suffered mightily and went on probation. Think about that for a minute...now days a coach puts you on probation what happens? Think about your career...if you were cheating what would happen.

Why people put success over cheating amazes me. If I quit every time my boss did something that made me mad I would never be any where long. Coach Pruett was great for us and I thank him for it but we got caught cheating with him. That is a fact that nobody can change. We got hurt by it and why people can’t believe it I don’t know.

And listen......that isn’t a big support of Soc either. In no way am I saying I support or don’t support where we are. I am just stating the obvious facts of our probation. And the fact that Coach Pruett quit right before spring football because he wasn’t happy about something. He shouldn’t have done it now but he should have also recruited better late in his time at Marshall as well.

And yet with all that said he was still sought after by prominent Alumni and players to replace who we have now, let that sink in for a bit

You’re not telling me anything I don’t already know. I’m the one that broke that story wide open last year. I thought they were morons then and that hasn’t changed one bit. The same people who bitch and moan about the “good ole boy” network are some of the same ones who supported the move. Thank God we have a president and athletic director who live in reality and shut it down.

You’re not telling me anything I don’t already know. I’m the one that broke that story wide open last year. I thought they were morons then and that hasn’t changed one bit. The same people who bitch and moan about the “good ole boy” network are some of the same ones who supported the move. Thank God we have a president and athletic director who live in reality and shut it down.
Hahaaaaa hell the gov said it on tv

How many losing seasons?

Josh... the Geraldo Rivera of Herdnation

ADVERTISEMENT