ADVERTISEMENT

Play-By-Play Analysis of WKU Game

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
All this talk about Legg, his aggression, and Litton's numbers got me wondering just what the situations were that we passed out of.

For starters we ran the ball 49 times and passed it only 28. That's 21 more run plays called. That's a significant amount for a staff that has prided themselves on offensive balance.

Our per play average was 6.8 for every pass and 2.9 for every rush. Makes you wonder still why we decided to run the ball 20 more times.

In this game we ran 26 1st down plays and 20 of them were run plays. Man talk about predictable.

The average down and distance for a called pass play was 2nd&9 and we wonder why our passing game has been off. That isn't exactly putting your QB in situations to be successful. There were only five times that a pass was called when there was 5 yards or less to gain.

To get Litton going we should be hitting the TE on easy plays, but Yurachek was targeted maybe 5 times. For a player of his status that is unforgivable. Any OC worth a D-II job would be finding ways to get the ball in his hands.

This is a terrible conservative game call. I mean I get it if we had someone like Rockhead or the top RB in the nation that just produced big runs after big runs not giving the QB a real shot to establish a game. No. We just keep calling 2-3 yards runs like we're B1G team back in 1963.

The plan. Just like it has been since we started conference play is just to grind out a shortened game and try to hold on to a win. I know I keep going back to NCST and UC, but we called more aggressive games for those two. At UC it was like we were trying to make a statement. Since then it's just been plodding along 3 yards in a cloud of rubber pellets.

1st possession was 7 plays for 26 yards.

1st&10 - run (King 9yds)

2nd&1 - pass (1 yard to Brady)

1st&10 - run (Davis 1yd)

2nd&9 - run (Davis no gain)

3rd&9 - pass (incomplete)

2nd Possession was 11 play for 38 yards and a FG

1st&10 - run (King no gain)

2nd&10 - Pass (Litton to Johnson for 8 yds)

3rd&2 - run (Davis 4yrds)

1st&10 - pass (Litton to Davis for 11yds)

1st&10 - run (King 2 yds)

2nd&8 - pass (Incomplete)

3rd&8 - run (King 9yds)

1st&10 - run (King 3 yds)

2nd&7 - run (King 2yd loss)

3rd&9 - pass (Litton to Davis for 3yds)

FG! FROM THE 15 YARD LINE!!!

3rd Possession was 11 plays for 65 yards and a TD

1st&10 - run (Davis 2yds)

2nd&8 - pass (Litton to Matthews for 14 yds)

1st&10 - run (King 5yds)

2nd&5 - pass (Litton to Yurachek for 5 yds)

1st&10 - run (Davis 8yds)

2nd&2 - run (Davis 3yds)

1st&10 - run (Davis 6yds)

2nd&4 - pass (Davis incomplete HB pass to Johnson)

1st&10 - pass (Litton incomplete to Yurachek)

1st&15 - pass (Litton to Johnson for 13yds)

2nd&2 - run (Davis 4yds)

3rd&6 - pass (Litton scramble for 5yds)

4th&1 - run (Davis 3 yd TD)

4th Possession was 15 plays for 67 yards that ended in a FG

1st&10 - run (King no gain, fumble)

2nd&9 - run (King 9yds)

1st&10 - run (King 1yd)

2nd&9 - pass (Incomplete to Matthews)

3rd&9 - pass (Litton to Johnson for 30 yds)

1st&10 - run (King no gain)

2nd&10 – run (Davis no gain)

3rd&10 – pass (Litton complete to Matthews for 16 yds)

1st&10 – pass (Litton sacked)

2nd&14 – run (Davis 5yds)

3rd&9 – pass (Litton complete to King for 21 yds)

1st&10 – run (Davis 3 yd loss)

2nd&13 – pass (Litton sacked)

3rd&22 – false start

3rd&25 – pass (Incomplete)

5th Possession was for 9 plays and 64 yards that ended in a TD

1st&10 – run (King 10 yds)

1st&10 – run (King 6yds)

2nd&4 – run (King no gain)

3rd&4 – pass (Litton scramble for 7 yds)

1st&10 – pass (Litton complete to Matthews for yds)

2nd&4 - pass (Litton compete to Matthews for 10 yds)

1st&10 – run (King 1 yd)

2nd&9 – pass (Litton complete to Obialo for 14 yds)

1st&Goal – run (King 10 yds for TD)

6th Possession was for 3 plays and 2 yards and ended in a punt

1st&10 – run (Davis 2yds)

2nd&8 – pass (Incomplete to Mattews)

3rd&8 – pass (Incomplete to Johnson)

7th Possession was for 5 plays for 10 yards and ends in a INT

1st&10 – pass (Litton complete to Obialo for 8 yds)

2nd&8 – run – King 2yds)

1st&10 – run (Davis no gain)

2nd&10 – pass (Incomplete to Obialo)

3rd&10 – pass (Interception intended for Johnosn)

8th Possession was following WKU fumble and went for 4 plays and -3 yards ending in a FG

1st&10 – pass (Litton complete to Johnson for 3yd loss)

2nd&13 – pass (Incomplete to Matthews)

3rd&13 – pass (Incomplete to Obialo)

9th Possession was for 3 plays and 8 yards ending in a Punt

1st&10 – run (King 4 yds)

2nd&6 – run (King for 1yd)

3rd&5 – pass (Litton complete to Yurachek for 3 yds)

10th Possession was 4 play for 2 yards ending in a turnover on downs

1st&10 – run (Davis 1yd)

2nd&9 – run (Davis 2yds)

3rd&7 – run (Davis 1 yd loss)

4th&8 – pass (Incomplete to Obialo)

11th Possession was for 8 plays and 40 yards

1st&10 – run (King 16 yds)

1st&10 – run (Davis 2yds)

2nd&8 – pass (Litton complete to Yurachek for 30 yds)

1st&10 – run (Davis 6yds)

2nd&4 – run (Davis 3rds)

3rd&1 – run (Davis 1yd)

1st&10 – Kneel Down

2nd&12 – Kneel Down

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Running the ball shortend the game. Kept WKU's offence off the field!
We're not going to win a shoot out with Chase right now! His accuracy is off for what ever reason isn't very good.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
His accuracy is off for what ever reason isn't very good.

Poor mechanics. He rarely steps into a throw. Even if he’s not under pressure. He rarely if ever “looks off” a receiver. Not sure if it is because he’s not sure how to read a defense or simply because all he knows are the same few routes/plays we run over and over.

Running the ball shortend the game. Kept WKU's offence off the field!
We're not going to win a shoot out with Chase right now! His accuracy is off for what ever reason isn't very good.
Hes just not a good qb. Hes average at best

I guess our offensive philosophy is officially now "two yards and a cloud of artificial turf pellets"!!

Chase is not a bad QB. He just doesn't have much help. Just like last year he has a sub par O line that cant open up holes for the running backs and a conservative coaching staff that tries to run the ball on early downs. Chase ends up being left with 3rd and long quite a bit of the time with a dismal running game and yet fans can't seem understand why he isn't more successful. Chase isnt the greatest QB in the world but he has been put in bad situations that makes it harder for him to be successful.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Did you factor in his previous game of 4 INT's as well as his 2 best WR's not being in the game for 95% of it?

When your QB has thrown 6 interceptions (all of which ended up as a score against us) it's sort of understandable you don't want him throwing very much.
I even admit, I really didn't want him throwing after FAU...then again in the moment I was irritated.

Combine that with your 2 best WR's going down, it's even more difficult.
Our TE should have been more utilized, however, our OL is still not a very good one, so I imagine he had to block more than he wanted to in order to keep pressure off of Litton.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
We used to have a pretty good qb coach that has had a bit of success coaching qbs to record breaking seasons most places he coached. We let him move on and kept legg.... i think chase could have been good with proper coaching from a qb coach.

We used to have a pretty good qb coach that has had a bit of success coaching qbs to record breaking seasons most places he coached. We let him move on and kept legg.... i think chase could have been good with proper coaching from a qb coach.

If you're referring to Petersen, didn't he take a full OC job at LT? Which was basically a step up from the one here at MU? Also, in our first meeting, didn't Marshall beat LT? Which included Petersen as the OC in his 2nd year?

Not taking anything away from Petersen, but he left because LT wanted him as their full time OC. He was, I believe QB coach and Co-OC? He did well at LT for the most part.
However, since 2015, he's been at ECU...as basically the same position but in a better area...and isn't doing quite well as the OC/QB coach.
Not saying under Doc he would be terrible, but seeing him out there doing, basically what he did here, it hasn't been the best of times for him.

*sorry, just looked it up to re-verify. He's been OC/QB coach at ECU since 2016.

If you're referring to Petersen, didn't he take a full OC job at LT? Which was basically a step up from the one here at MU? Also, in our first meeting, didn't Marshall beat LT? Which included Petersen as the OC in his 2nd year?

Not taking anything away from Petersen, but he left because LT wanted him as their full time OC. He was, I believe QB coach and Co-OC? He did well at LT for the most part.
However, since 2015, he's been at ECU...as basically the same position but in a better area...and isn't doing quite well as the OC/QB coach.
Not saying under Doc he would be terrible, but seeing him out there doing, basically what he did here, it hasn't been the best of times for him.

*sorry, just looked it up to re-verify. He's been OC/QB coach at ECU since 2016.
Yea i know he hasnt since leaving but up to that point he had a pretty consistent run of coaching successful qbs.

Chase is not a bad QB. He just doesn't have much help. Just like last year he has a sub par O line that cant open up holes for the running backs and a conservative coaching staff that tries to run the ball on early downs. Chase ends up being left with 3rd and long quite a bit of the time with a dismal running game and yet fans can't seem understand why he isn't more successful. Chase isnt the greatest QB in the world but he has been put in bad situations that makes it harder for him to be successful.

King had over 100 yards and 4.6 per carry, despite the predictable play-calling and occasionally abandoning running lanes and bouncing outside for no or little gain. Litton has been sacked only 6 times this entire season (good enough to be tied for second in the country), and two of those are squarely on him for holding the ball too long. Obviously, there is a lot more to OL play than stats, but I can make the argument that the OL has played pretty well this season.

Reactions: THUNDERGround
King had over 100 yards and 4.6 per carry, despite the predictable play-calling and occasionally abandoning running lanes and bouncing outside for no or little gain. Litton has been sacked only 6 times this entire season (good enough to be tied for second in the country), and two of those are squarely on him for holding the ball too long. Obviously, there is a lot more to OL play than stats, but I can make the argument that the OL has played pretty well this season.

Pass protection is the best I have seen in a long, long time here at MU. Run blocking still leaves a lot to be desired.

While I think Litton has his issues, he really isn't consistently put in spots where he can be successful. When they hardly every let him throw from within 5 yards of the line to gain and his average down and distance is 2&9 everyone knows what is coming. Add in to that fact that we are milking every single play we are allowing the defense to make their reads, diagnose our formations, and get set. No Chase make a completion 10 yards down the field with a throw designed to go 5-7. Even with Cato a majority of our throws were short.

Not saying that Litton is anywhere close to Cato. However Cato had one of the top run games in the country. His worst run game came from Van/Martinez which really wasn't that much of a slouch. Not great, but not horrible. Then in 2012 he had Grooms/Butler/Watson. Then in 2013 he had Taliaferro/Butler/Grooms. In 2014 he had Rockhead/Butler/Watson. For 3 years straight Cato had the benefit of playing with record setting backs that all were a threat to take it to the house no matter the down and distance from anywhere on the field.

So what has Litton had? In 2015 He had a severely hampered Devon Johnson with Pittman and Davis. Then in 2016 he was supported by one of the worst run games we have ever had at Marshall. This year is a large improvement with King being added in, but he is a true freshman learning his way. He's been a big boost. I mean the leading rusher during the Litton era has been Keion Davis. In 30 games he has carried the ball 320 times for 1,474 yards. That is an average of 46.6 yards per game and has only hit pay dirt 13 times in 30 games. He's only post one, maybe two 100 yard rushing games in those 30 games.

That cannot be overlooked. Litton and this entire team took a huge step back in 2016.

This year we can't say that Litton hasn't shown he can play. At NCST he went 26/43 for 350 yards and 2 TDs and at UC he went 21/34 for 233 yards and 4 TDs. He nearly went 200 passes without an interception up until the FIU game.

Not making excuses for FIU and FAU, but let's not sit here and pretend we haven't watched one of our QBs fall apart in a game and lose it. Cato did it several times too. Was there an OHIO game where he didn't throw a costly pick? How about the 2013 WKU game when he was baited in to 4 picks?

The other thing that doesn't get talked about enough with Litton is who he has had coaching him up. While Peterson may not have panned out as an OC at ECU or LaTech there is not arguing his ability to coach and develop QBs. He coached Pennington, Leftwich, and Cato for his first two seasons. Litton has had Legg as his QB coach.

And let's go back to the situations he gets put in by our genius OC. Go back to his first pick against FIU. What started that series off? Foster fielding the punt inside the 5 yard line. Great job! The rule is you put your heels on the 10 and let anything else go behind you. So what is the play call? Legg calls a two step drop to a 2 yard out to the far side of he field. Any DB worth a darn is going to jump that pass. You are backed up in your own territory with no room to scramble and you are asked to make a throw 2 yards that has to travel 15 yards. Was a stupid play call. The second INT was Litton pressing to make a play. WHY? Because of the way this staff decided to call the first half.

We have been in the positions we have been in throughout this season because of the approach this coaching staff has decided to take in conference play. There is not reason we shouldn't be playing these games exactly like we did at NCST and UC.

Litton is a rhythm pocket passer. He is not Cato. He isn't going to run around and pull something out of his rear end when Legg's design breaks down. Cato was a magician. Let's also not forget that Cato has Shuler for all four seasons. A player he had been playing pitch and catch with since the 2nd grade. I mean Shuler nearly had three back-to-back 100 catch seasons. That has never been done and only 8 other people have had back-to-back 100 catch seasons.

Litton looks the best when we run with tempo and he can find a rhythm and we can keep the defense on their heels. In this offense he can go 10-15 minutes without attempting a pass. How on earth is he supposed to get in a rhythm? How are the WRs supposed to find their sync with him. We've had several games this year where we might have thrown the ball 3 or 4 times the entire half.

Now if we are doing this because Litton truly does suck then he shouldn't be the starter and that once again goes on the coaches for not having a QB on the roster that can play at a high enough level to win a championship. People say Green. We don't know. Even if he does play we won't see this offense take off. Anyone paying attention knows how Legg calls plays with a freshman QB.

The common denominator is Bill Legg. He has to go. Period.

He's the one calling the plays. He's the one that calls pitch plays, tunnel screens, bubble screens, and swing passes to the short sides of the field with one blocker. He's the one that can't figure out how to get his preseason all-america candidate TE more involved.

We need a new OC or it won't get any better.

the head coach had a chance to get a new offensive coordinator last year and was even pressed to do so. he declined. it all falls back on the head coach. yes Legg sucks but Holliday has allowed him to suck. they BOTH need to go

Reactions: mlblack16.
the head coach had a chance to get a new offensive coordinator last year and was even pressed to do so. he declined. it all falls back on the head coach. yes Legg sucks but Holliday has allowed him to suck. they BOTH need to go

100% agree

My only thing is I do not trust Hamrick to hire a replacement. If we could just get rid of Legg I think most of the fans would be more than happy.

I agree with your post. The responsibility of a coaching staff is to put "your team" in a position to be successful. Our OC play calling fails on this...and Chase is usually placed in non-winning situations. My concern with Chase is he "locks" in on one receiver and "come hell or high water"...he is going to force a pass to that receiver.

HerdZilla22

Bleeds your original post is one of the best I have seen on Herd Nation. You took the time to provide the facts and figures regarding the WKU game. It is a real shame that Doc insists on keeping his buddy Legg on the staff.
Your post presents the obvious to any diehard Doc supporters as to just how conservative we play and how some of our personnel are really misused - I.e., Ryan Yurachek. Great post.

Bleeds your original post is one of the best I have seen on Herd Nation. You took the time to provide the facts and figures regarding the WKU game. It is a real shame that Doc insists on keeping his buddy Legg on the staff.
Your post presents the obvious to any diehard Doc supporters as to just how conservative we play and how some of our personnel are really misused - I.e., Ryan Yurachek. Great post.

Who the hell is that?

Litton looks the best when we run with tempo and he can find a rhythm and we can keep the defense on their heels. In this offense he can go 10-15 minutes without attempting a pass. How on earth is he supposed to get in a rhythm? How are the WRs supposed to find their sync with him. We've had several games this year where we might have thrown the ball 3 or 4 times the entire half.

bingo.gif

Unfortunately our running game as a whole only averaged 2.9 yards a carry for the entire game. You cant average 2.9 yard a carry for the entire game and think you are running the ball well. You also cant struggle for 3/4 of the game running the ball then have your running back break off a couple of big runs late that boost the average and think you have done a great job running the ball. We are not very good running the ball as a team.

As far as sacks the O line does do a better job pass protecting but Litton has also done a good job getting rid of the ball when being pressured and that has helped prevent sacks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT