ADVERTISEMENT

HERDNATION.COM Podcast: Chad Pennington Doug Chapman on the 20th anniversary of the MAC Championship

To whom it may concern,

Is there any real good reason to listen to this?

This could very well fuel “20 year old expectations”. It’s time we move on from these former players who only come around to freeload and have their butts kissed.

These were once in a lifetime players and outcomes for schools like Marshall. There is no reason for anyone to expect this to be a standard in the current football environment.

(Besides...these guys were probably cheating anyway.)

sincerely,
Superfans

You can not see the value of two of the best players after 20 years & their opinions and advice says a lot about you more than them!

You can not see the value of two of the best players after 20 years & their opinions and advice says a lot about you more than them!

9f3f8c517f77b997c9b48660ec1df414.png

Reactions: HubbMU
So Pennington comes out with support for Kaepernick getting back in the NFL

In basically 24 years this is the first time I ever questioned Chad's thinking or a statement made.

I got over it , everyone is entitled to one mistake.

Regarding the topic at hand:

The value of the guys from 20 years ago could and canbe enormous if the AD would open his eyes. Chad and Byron were extremely popular not just players but people ( coaches) and still are.

You (as a department and AD) utilize your past achievements as much as possible...again if your smart.

Eventually Byron will tire of coaching in the NFL , never know where he may look to as far as a college job is concerned. Pennington's kids will grow up and he too might be looking for something in the college ranks , keep both happy and possibly reap the benefit down the road...you never know.

For those that were in the stands for that one: Maybe the greatest comeback (at the time!) in the history of the program. Shut out at the half. WMU was doing things that completely had us flinching and going off sides...….I think 20-0 deficit. Chad on that last drive: 4th & 11 ( I think) and he completes one over the middle (finger-tip grab) for 12....the ultimate slow white man run for glory, with a 15 yd PF tacked onto the end for a hit out of bounds......and ultimately Pennington to Pinkerton to trophy!! The amazing thing for the kids on this board: If we had lost, most likely would have sat at home at 11-1.....Only the 1 tie-in back then....

Reactions: raleighherdfan
I am surprised they didn’t do something during one of the home games for the 1996 team. Everyone who has commented on this podcast both here, OF, and other fan sites said that same thing. Glad I did a podcast on it though! It was good to catch up with them and get their perspective on the 2019 team and where they see things.

How in the world did Marshall let the 20th anniversary of this team pass by without a reunion/celebration of some sort?

They ran out of hot dogs after the '96 team event. Can you imagine the effort to plan and coordinate another special butt kissing tailgate event????

(disclaimer for @Herdloyal : Insert sarcasm definition here)

This is well worth a listen. Maybe he was being PC but he was fairly supportive of Doc. He said he stabilized the program but then did say that we need to take the next step and win a championship.

I found it also very interesting how he said it was important for the program to connect with the fans. He said when he was here the whole community supported them.

Doug Chapman was on the back half of the program and had some good comments.

Reactions: Aaron Coleman
How in the world did Marshall let the 20th anniversary of this team pass by without a reunion/celebration of some sort?

Answer: It's Marshall and Hamrick is the cheap AD. That was a milestone that should have been honored especially when you look at the program during the Snyder and Holliday era's , nothing even close. Any decent AD would have been very aware of the anniversary and would have planned accordingly i.e. a celebration. Department again and as usual dropped the ball.

Answer: It's Marshall and Hamrick is the cheap AD. That was a milestone that should have been honored especially when you look at the program during the Snyder and Holliday era's , nothing even close. Any decent AD would have been very aware of the anniversary and would have planned accordingly i.e. a celebration. Department again and as usual dropped the ball.
When did 20 years become a benchmark for a celebration? Why not do it at 12 or 15 years too? Seems to me like 25 years would be most appropriate. By the way, if there had been an on-field recognition, somebody would have complained because we were parading yet more people out on the field during a time out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT