ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Possible date for summer basketball workouts

the staff expects to have the guys on the floor around July 20 after the NCAA approved yesterday. They get 8 hours a week with the team including 4 hours on the floor. Danny is fighting to have fans allowed at practice as has been the case since he has been here. His words were, "This is Marshall basketball"

I cant imagine that so many fans are clamoring to get into watch summer practice that they couldn't throw on a mask and appropriately socially distance inside the Cam.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I cant imagine that so many fans are clamoring to get into watch summer practice that they couldn't throw on a mask and appropriately socially distance inside the Cam.

I would not plan on being able to attend those practices at this point.

He can say that all he wants, but it’s not his call nor is it going to be.

But I get it......that’s his niche.
Not sure I understand the concern. If fans are required to social distance themselves, wear masks, and not have any contact with players, 40-50 fans attending a basketball practice in Henderson Center is not going to create risk for the players or the fans.

Not sure I understand the concern. If fans are required to social distance themselves, wear masks, and not have any contact with players, 40-50 fans attending a basketball practice in Henderson Center is not going to create risk for the players or the fans.
‘72 - exactly. The easiest sport for that many fans to watch safely. I’m assuming DD has a more tolerant stance on fans at practice than Doc?

The issue is Marshall administration has a million concerns moving forward. The last thing they want is another one that’s really not necessary. Worrying about who comes in and where they have been is a hassle they don’t need.

‘72 - exactly. The easiest sport for that many fans to watch safely. I’m assuming DD has a more tolerant stance on fans at practice than Doc?
Danny would love to have the Cam packed for every practice. He loves fans being there. He says Marshall basketball is FOR the fans

Danny would love to have the Cam packed for every practice. He loves fans being there. He says Marshall basketball is FOR the fans
any updates on hoops recruiting? Will the freshman walkon still take one of the spots?

any updates on hoops recruiting? Will the freshman walkon still take one of the spots?
Not being able to sit and talk with the entire staff, I have very little new news other than offers that are already out there, I see nothing to doubt that Devin Collins will get a scholarship for the 21-22 season

I would say my chance of seeing a Duke game in Cameron this year is 0%. I’m neither a student or season ticket holder so that leaves me out.

I would say teams expecting to play teams from NC in sports this year might want to have alternate plans. At this point that Marshall vs ECU game taking place would be a miracle.

Reactions: GreenDuke
I would say teams expecting to play teams from NC in sports this year might want to have alternate plans. At this point that Marshall vs ECU game taking place would be a miracle.

Why is that? They can always play without fans to start with. NC infection rate is not on the rise at this point.

Why is that? They can always play without fans to start with. NC infection rate is not on the rise at this point.
First of all NC is on the rise. We are going to a beach property in the OBX next week. The county there has issued a MUST wear mask order if you can not keep a safe distance away.
Second, fielding a program with no fans would totally bankrupt most G5 programs. To pay a staff, food and travel expenses could not be sustained.

First of all NC is on the rise.

Not according to this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

"And 17 states are reporting a decline in new cases. They are Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont."

Second, fielding a program with no fans would totally bankrupt most G5 programs. To pay a staff, food and travel expenses could not be sustained.

Not exactly true. Most money comes from the media (TV). In a year like this, media might be all they have. Most college teams will be ok if they don't play in front of fans. At least to start the season.

My youngest son lives in Horry County, SC where the numbers have been going up and people going to Myrtle from here are bringing back the virus...and they are starting conditioning today. He qualified 2nd in his region and made the state strength tournament that was canceled, so I’m excited for him to get back after it. Kids been times in the high 4.5’s and low 4.6’s consistently and is strong as an ox. As of right now, he’s looking at playing slot receiver on offense and linebacker on defense. I haven’t worn a mask to date, but I’m going to start. Going to forego a vacation this summer as well...have to do my part so he can get his senior season in. While this virus isn’t as bad as they initially thought, no doubt that it can combine with underlying issues to have severe consequences. Asymptomatic numbers are being treated as though these people are on their deathbeds, in my opinion, so guess I’ll do my part to keep those lower. Some people out there just need to wear an airtight plastic mask for around 5 minutes to have a lifetime of immunity to the virus. :D

Not according to this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

CUSA teams get only about $200K from the media. Unlike wvu with over $30 million

"And 17 states are reporting a decline in new cases. They are Alabama, Alaska, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Vermont."

Not exactly true. Most money comes from the media (TV). In a year like this, media might be all they have. Most college teams will be ok if they don't play in front of fans. At least to start the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT