ADVERTISEMENT

Possibly more conference realignment coming

ESPN is reporting it... Admitting though that a deal is "not yet finalized."

If this happens, I would imagine San Diego State and BYU would be the first two calls for the PAC12... Then maybe Boise and UNLV (sports betting is making Vegas a huge get in all sports right now).

If this happens, I would imagine San Diego State and BYU would be the first two calls for the PAC12... Then maybe Boise and UNLV (sports betting is making Vegas a huge get in all sports right now).
Do you think BYU would go to PAC12 over Big 12?

Do you think BYU would go to PAC12 over Big 12?
I would say its doubtful, but at this point, who knows anymore... Until a few hours ago I would have never thought UCLA would leave the Pac12 to be in the same conference as Rutgers, Maryland and Northwestern.

If BYU says no thanks, and they probably would... Then you move on to SDSU with Boise or UNLV.

Yes, Utah is a natural rivalry.
They can always (and do already) schedule Utah for a game, which negates the need for adding them outright.
It's the same reason for wvu not needing to be in the ACC, since they can merely schedule OOC games with their rivals once a year, and not be an additonal and useless mouth to feed.
While BYU is a huge exception to this as they actually aren't nearly as useless as wvu, but you get the idea.

I would presume the Pac-12 goes after the western-most Big 12 schools: Texas Tech, KU, KSU, and Oklahoma State.

BYU makes sense overall, just not sure how they'd manage having to pay exit fees and legal stuff.

I would say its doubtful, but at this point, who knows anymore... Until a few hours ago I would have never thought UCLA would leave the Pac12 to be in the same conference as Rutgers, Maryland and Northwestern.

If BYU says no thanks, and they probably would... Then you move on to SDSU with Boise or UNLV.

There was a discussion about the Pac-12 and Big 10 having some alliance, while not conference shifts however, but more of a scheduling merger for TV and money.

I think the Big 12 dissolves. The Pac-12 will take the most valuable Big 12 leftovers since they most likely contribute far more than Boise or UNLV. They'll also need to probably get double the number to offset value lost from the departing USC and UCLA.
KU, Texas Tech, BYU, Oklahoma State would be my picks.
Boise isn't a large enough school. Their endowment is pretty low, and their academics aren't up to par. Yes, someone like Texas Tech's aren't either, but they have fertile recruiting in Texas.
Plus, a dwindling fairy tale program is being overshadowed by, well, the entire SBC.

Reactions: RhinoD
I think the Big 12 dissolves. The Pac-12 will take the most valuable Big 12 leftovers since they most likely contribute far more than Boise or UNLV. They'll also need to probably get double the number to offset value lost from the departing USC and UCLA.
KU, Texas Tech, BYU, Oklahoma State would be my picks.
Boise isn't a large enough school. Their endowment is pretty low, and their academics aren't up to par. Yes, someone like Texas Tech's aren't either, but they have fertile recruiting in Texas.
Plus, a dwindling fairy tale program is being overshadowed by, well, the entire SBC.
Texas Tech and OK State would certainly be intriguing... I guess that call would come down to money. I can't imagine any of the Big12 leftovers being thrilled to now be in a league with Cincinatti and Houston.

Texas Tech and OK State would certainly be intriguing... I guess that call would come down to money. I can't imagine any of the Big12 leftovers being thrilled to now be in a league with Cincinatti and Houston.
I agree.
They'll want out.
The Big 10 will now be at 16 members. The first actual "Superconference."
Big 12 is finished. Only teams of value will be added and the Pac 12 will take whoever's left.
I'd welcome wvu to the Sunbelt or the AAC.

Heather Dinich is hinting that Notre Dame is headed to the B1G. The Big 10 might have just played this whole thing brilliantly by grabbing USC as a carrot for the Irish. And I don't think the B1G is done... Watch for Stanford to go too along with one other PAC school, IMHO

The Big12 is not finished. This is a problem for the PAC12 and an opportunity for the Big12.

The PAC12 has a serious and upcoming media rights problem that is significantly worse than the Big12.

Reality:

- Boise State brings very little to any true major conference. Its a nice story. Small almost community college runs up a nice record over mid-major competition and occasionally catches a true major disinterested in a bowl. Very different from competiting against mega sized top-shelf universities year in and year out in the full scope of sports. They know this and are not dumb enough to ruin their little act.

- The Big 12 already was "the middle one" rather than the now-antiquated term of "power five". The Pac 12 (10) now joins them. While still better than the B12, it really doesn't excite anyone, certainly no one outside its region. They need to refill to survive. As to the B12, no current true major has any interest in joining it. If BYU leaves, they will try to sell you on the idea that, somehow, Memphis or USF is now a "major" team.

- The Pac 12 will go after BYU and UNLV. Fastest growing parts of the country. Logical.

- Does this work? Does somebody in LA really care about Maryland @ Minnesota any more than they do now because UCLA is in the same conference?

- The next step is culling the dead weight. Does the B10 really need Indiana? Purdue? Minnesota?

Reactions: 19MU88 and RhinoD
I read something last night that I found interesting, though I admittedly have no idea how plausible it is... The article basically said the P5, which was originally 60 teams in 12-team leagues, is going to become the P3 (SEC, BIG10, ACC) with 54 teams in 18-team leagues and no divisions, so the big boys can dominate the TV money and essentially monopolize the playoffs (no more chance of a Cinci/UCF/Boise making the top 4).

BIG10 has 16 now with USC/UCLA added... If they are going to add 2 more, look for Notre Dame and Oregon.
SEC has 16 currently... If they add two more, Baylor and Oklahoma State make sense.
ACC has 14 currently... So who would they add?... TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas (getting basketball) and Utah?

Then of course that begs the question, what happens to the "leftovers" who were formerly P5?... WVU, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State?... My guess is they would sue, lose, and then form a league under the Big12 moniker including Cinci, UCF, Houston, and the like. Then Arresco could be named commissioner and start his "P4" garbage all over again, lol.

Reactions: ohio herd
- The next step is culling the dead weight. Does the B10 really need Indiana? Purdue? Minnesota?
This would be amazing to watch play out if leagues started dropping teams... Does the SEC need Vandy?... Does the ACC need Boston College?

As for your list, the Big10 will never drop Indiana... Although not a football power, they have an occasional good year and their athletic program is very good top to bottom. Mens and women's basketball, soccer, swimming, golf, etc... Purdue might be another story though if relegation became a thing.

I think I have now reached the point where I no longer care. Money has ruined what once was known as college football. I loved the rivalries between schools that were close in proximity. Growing up I looked forward to Ohio State, sorry I meant to say, THE Ohio State vs Michigan, Penn State vs Pitt , Nebraska vs Oklahoma and so forth. Now I will get to watch Purdue vs UCLA or Boston Collège vs Wake Forest on Saturdays. Can't wait to hear the fanbase of many of these schools whine now that they are going 6-6 every year since they can't pad the ooc with cupcakes any longer.

The Big12 is not finished. This is a problem for the PAC12 and an opportunity for the Big12.

The PAC12 has a serious and upcoming media rights problem that is significantly worse than the Big12.
How so? The Big 12 lost (depending on source) anywhere from 60%-75% of its revenue from 2 schools alone.
The Big 12 had to bring in G5 teams to make up the money difference and will still fall woefully short.
Which looks more lucrative?
Going to a conference where established P5 programs exist, like the Pac-12.
Or
Trying to entice Pac-12 teams to join a conference with G5 programs, who don't have a history?

This would be amazing to watch play out if leagues started dropping teams... Does the SEC need Vandy?... Does the ACC need Boston College?

As for your list, the Big10 will never drop Indiana... Although not a football power, they have an occasional good year and their athletic program is very good top to bottom. Mens and women's basketball, soccer, swimming, golf, etc... Purdue might be another story though if relegation became a thing.

What's kind of strange is that places such as Vandy and Purdue, have lots of money and if actually spent it on athletics, they'd seriously outspend quite a few P5 programs.
Imagine if Stanford really decided to enter an arms race with Bama for football alone.

Reality:

- Boise State brings very little to any true major conference. Its a nice story. Small almost community college runs up a nice record over mid-major competition and occasionally catches a true major disinterested in a bowl. Very different from competiting against mega sized top-shelf universities year in and year out in the full scope of sports. They know this and are not dumb enough to ruin their little act.

- The Big 12 already was "the middle one" rather than the now-antiquated term of "power five". The Pac 12 (10) now joins them. While still better than the B12, it really doesn't excite anyone, certainly no one outside its region. They need to refill to survive. As to the B12, no current true major has any interest in joining it. If BYU leaves, they will try to sell you on the idea that, somehow, Memphis or USF is now a "major" team.

- The Pac 12 will go after BYU and UNLV. Fastest growing parts of the country. Logical.

- Does this work? Does somebody in LA really care about Maryland @ Minnesota any more than they do now because UCLA is in the same conference?

All the schools in the PAC 12 are hardcore left wingers. Cal Berkley and Stanford are San Fran Bay area, Washington is in Seattle, and Oregon (Corvallis, Oregon) is just as left wing as Portland, Oregon. Do you actually believe that they would accept BYU to be one of their conference mates? BYU punishes any student that holds hands or kisses another person of the same sex. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lgbtq-dating-ban-byu-probed-federal-investigation-82380821 The Pac 12 doesn't need to add anybody. The Big 12 has had only 10 teams for years and they can still hold a championship game and divide the revenue up by only 10. The Pac 12, without USC and UCLA, will earn less than they did before, but they will only have to divy up the revenue by 10 now instead of 12 and that will be better than adding anyone else who can't pull weight or joining the Big 12.

Last edited:
All the schools in the PAC 12 are hardcore left wingers. Cal Berkley and Stanford are San Fran Bay area, Washington is in Seattle, and Oregon (Corvallis, Oregon) is just as left wing as Portland, Oregon. Do you actually believe that they would accept BYU to be one of their conference mates? BYU punishes any student that holds hands or kisses another person of the same sex. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lgbtq-dating-ban-byu-probed-federal-investigation-82380821 The Pac 12 doesn't need to add anybody. The Big 12 has had only 10 teams for years and they can still hold a championship game and divide the revenue up by only 10. The Pac 12, without USC and UCLA, will earn less than they did before, but they will only have to divy up the revenue by 10 now instead of 12 and that will be better than adding anyone else who can't pull weight or joining the Big 12.

Hahahaha you sort of left out the Big 12's two marquee teams were a majority of the revenue the conference brought in...so while they had 10 teams, they certainly weren't stable, or else they would never have considered expansion.
Even so, the Big 12 had to double their team invites just to TRY to make up the financial gap left behind and it's not going to be close, let that sink in.
BYU did apply to Big 12 once before, and it caused campus-wide rejection from schools like Oklahoma, for the very reason you stated...BYU's strict religious policies and no athletics on Sunday.
Given that Utah's campus, while far lax, is roughly 36% Mormon itself, and they are in the Pac-12.

Let's expand for a moment and look around the rest of the Big12 for a moment.
You also have Arizona and Colorado, not nearly the hardcore Left as the others, with the latter being a former member, will give a bit of a voice as to why inviting some Big 12 members makes sense.
Plenty of former residents of the west coast live in...Texas among places. You actually will have a decent amount of fan support in Big 12 country, despite it being, well, Big 12 country.
Finally, it's not about politics at this point. It is about money. Someone like Oregon can point the finger at BYU's religious policies as some sort of lame attempt to take a moral high ground, and BYU turns around and says, "Nike" thus ending any argument of the sort.
As crazy as the Mormons are, there are a lot of them, and viewership makes money, money makes schools happy...regardless if we like it or not.

Hahahaha you sort of left out the Big 12's two marquee teams were a majority of the revenue the conference brought in...so while they had 10 teams, they certainly weren't stable, or else they would never have considered expansion.
Even so, the Big 12 had to double their team invites just to TRY to make up the financial gap left behind and it's not going to be close, let that sink in.
BYU did apply to Big 12 once before, and it caused campus-wide rejection from schools like Oklahoma, for the very reason you stated...BYU's strict religious policies and no athletics on Sunday.
Given that Utah's campus, while far lax, is roughly 36% Mormon itself, and they are in the Pac-12.

Let's expand for a moment and look around the rest of the Big12 for a moment.
You also have Arizona and Colorado, not nearly the hardcore Left as the others, with the latter being a former member, will give a bit of a voice as to why inviting some Big 12 members makes sense.
Plenty of former residents of the west coast live in...Texas among places. You actually will have a decent amount of fan support in Big 12 country, despite it being, well, Big 12 country.
Finally, it's not about politics at this point. It is about money. Someone like Oregon can point the finger at BYU's religious policies as some sort of lame attempt to take a moral high ground, and BYU turns around and says, "Nike" thus ending any argument of the sort.
As crazy as the Mormons are, there are a lot of them, and viewership makes money, money makes schools happy...regardless if we like it or not.
When Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving the Big 12 that left the Big 12 with only 8 teams. The Big 12 HAD to expand in order to remain a conference. USC and UCLA departing the PAC 12 will leave the PAC 12 with 10 teams. They could survive without expanding if they had to. The PAC 12 would certainly like to raid the BIG 12 if they can but Oklahoma State and Baylor would be their top targets. Yes, Utah is a member of the PAC 12, but Utah is a state school and it doesn’t have the strict anti-gay student code that BYU, a private school, has. The PAC 12 will try to raid the Big 12 but there is no way they will be going after BYU.

How so? The Big 12 lost (depending on source) anywhere from 60%-75% of its revenue from 2 schools alone.
The Big 12 had to bring in G5 teams to make up the money difference and will still fall woefully short.
Which looks more lucrative?
Going to a conference where established P5 programs exist, like the Pac-12.
Or
Trying to entice Pac-12 teams to join a conference with G5 programs, who don't have a history?
If you read the metrics, even with the BIG12's backfill, its revenue will still be ahead of the PAC12. And that was before the recent rounds of departures. The raid of the PAC12 is not over. It is sitting at 10 teams, which is not enough to survive with mega conferences like the SEC and the BIG12. Oregon and Washington will dictate the future of that conference. Outside of those programs, you have two atrocious programs in terms of revenue (Oregon State and Washington State) and the remainder are so-so. Those few "established P5 programs" cannot save the conference.

Heather Dinich is hinting that Notre Dame is headed to the B1G. The Big 10 might have just played this whole thing brilliantly by grabbing USC as a carrot for the Irish. And I don't think the B1G is done... Watch for Stanford to go too along with one other PAC school, IMHO
I agree. But I don't think that it will be Stanford. Washington and Oregon make more sense and can be seen as geographic partners.

SEC, B1G and ESPN just need to drop the nuclear bomb and lay out their master plan and start building for a start date. This slow walk crap is ridiculous. Death by a thousand cuts.

ALL college towns are far left. Just look at any map of any election.

Very little to do with football.
This is simply not true.

Only 1% of BYU students identify as being liberal.

Only 4% of Texas A&M students identify as being liberal.

Only 8% of students at SMU identify as "very liberal" or liberal

Compare that to:

Cal - Berkeley
37% of students identify as "very liberal"
48% of students say they are just plain "liberal"

Stanford
22% of students identify as "very liberal"
48% of students identify as being merely "liberal"

Colorado
26% of students identify as "very liberal"
49% of students identify as being only "liberal"

Pac 12 schools want nothing to do with a school like BYU, a school who actually threatens students with expulsion if they openly demonstrate that they are gay.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lgbtq-dating-ban-byu-probed-federal-investigation-82380821

Most of the posters on this board seem to be older and they don't seem to undersand how powerfull "wokeness" is today. Left wing academics and many students at PAC 12 schools actually want to get rid of the police. They'd get rid of the fire department too if they thought firemen were a bunch of bigots. BYU, to these people, is basically like Donald Trump University. The Pac 12 despises BYU and anyone associated with it. They would never be conference mates with a school like BYU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catfanatic1979v1
When Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving the Big 12 that left the Big 12 with only 8 teams. The Big 12 HAD to expand in order to remain a conference. USC and UCLA departing the PAC 12 will leave the PAC 12 with 10 teams. They could survive without expanding if they had to. The PAC 12 would certainly like to raid the BIG 12 if they can but Oklahoma State and Baylor would be their top targets. Yes, Utah is a member of the PAC 12, but Utah is a state school and it doesn’t have the strict anti-gay student code that BYU, a private school, has. The PAC 12 will try to raid the Big 12 but there is no way they will be going after BYU.
Big 12 had to expand to make up for lost revenue...which is the underlying aspect of being a P5 to begin with.
Four teams won't compare to what UT and OU brought in, but expansion was due to money more than anything else.
i think the Pac-12 CAN offer more stability and P5 programs who were not a bunch of G5 programs moving up.
Acceptance they won't make the same amount of money, but offer fertile recruiting grounds in Texas and Oklahoma is a fair trade for everyone.

I read something last night that I found interesting, though I admittedly have no idea how plausible it is... The article basically said the P5, which was originally 60 teams in 12-team leagues, is going to become the P3 (SEC, BIG10, ACC) with 54 teams in 18-team leagues and no divisions, so the big boys can dominate the TV money and essentially monopolize the playoffs (no more chance of a Cinci/UCF/Boise making the top 4).

BIG10 has 16 now with USC/UCLA added... If they are going to add 2 more, look for Notre Dame and Oregon.
SEC has 16 currently... If they add two more, Baylor and Oklahoma State make sense.
ACC has 14 currently... So who would they add?... TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas (getting basketball) and Utah?

Then of course that begs the question, what happens to the "leftovers" who were formerly P5?... WVU, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State?... My guess is they would sue, lose, and then form a league under the Big12 moniker including Cinci, UCF, Houston, and the like. Then Arresco could be named commissioner and start his "P4" garbage all over again, lol.

I was reading about Oregon State settling their athletics department debt by taking out loans based on future Pac-12 revenue.

...aaaand then USC and UCLA bolt.

Ouch!!!!

Reactions: RhinoD
I think I have now reached the point where I no longer care. Money has ruined what once was known as college football. I loved the rivalries between schools that were close in proximity. Growing up I looked forward to Ohio State, sorry I meant to say, THE Ohio State vs Michigan, Penn State vs Pitt , Nebraska vs Oklahoma and so forth. Now I will get to watch Purdue vs UCLA or Boston Collège vs Wake Forest on Saturdays. Can't wait to hear the fanbase of many of these schools whine now that they are going 6-6 every year since they can't pad the ooc with cupcakes any longer.
I agree. The unintended consequence of the mega-conferences is that the bottom half of their teams will stink.

This is simply not true.

Only 1% of BYU students identify as being liberal.
When you use BYU, or Liberty or Hillsdale, as your gotcha, you really just want to argue.

Anyway, not students, the most worthless element of American society. Professors. Pick any election. Those blue dots in the middle of decent America are the college towns, where only people totally insulated from the economy by cush government jobs and so educated beyond their intelligence that they actually believe idiocy live.

Anyway, what does this have to do with football?

Not a lot. Understand that wokeness is about sacrifices these people want YOU to make. They need to keep the cash coming on in to fund their worthless lives, and if BYU, or the Saudis, or Putin, or whoever is a part of it, they will gladly take it, on their way to another seminar on whatever the idiot theory of the day is.

CFB is heading for 2 super conferences in the BigTen and SEC - the only schools that can change the direction is Notre Dame and Clemson. I don't like how the consolidation is heading overall because I think it will negatively impact the future CFB Playoff changes with the G5 schools like Marshall.

Reactions: Elkview
CFB is heading for 2 super conferences in the BigTen and SEC - the only schools that can change the direction is Notre Dame and Clemson. I don't like how the consolidation is heading overall because I think it will negatively impact the future CFB Playoff changes with the G5 schools like Marshall.
When that happens a there will be another split in college football. Marshall won’t be apart of the cfb playoff anymore

Wow, took you this long to figure out any joint alliances or conference mergers or just loading up the teams, will stomp out anything the G5 does.

I don't think Clemson carries as much value as Florida State or other ACC schools. Yes, they have been spending and making money, but I'd put FSU on the board ahead of Clemson. Notre Dame does whatever they want and really, college football is at their mercy, depending on where they choose to go.
They'll be slaughtered in the Big 10. The SEC is a "no" and the ACC is about the only conference they can compete in...and that's really a stretch.

Last edited:
When that happens a there will be another split in college football. Marshall won’t be apart of the cfb playoff anymore

I think if the NCAA just kicked CUSA (Sorry Sam), the MAC, and some of the AAC to the curb, allowed the SBC and MWC to expand a little more, you'd have 2 (if the AAC stayed then 3) solid G5 programs, with the highest ranked winner being in an expanded CFP as the lone G5 representative.

Reactions: HerdFB1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT