ADVERTISEMENT

Power Five ADs: 'Inevitable' 2020 college football season will not be played this fall

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
I agree. Time to stop leading everyone on.

A cancellation of the 2020 college football season this fall is unavoidable after the MAC canceled its season earlier in the day, two prominent Power Five athletic directors told CBS Sports on Saturday. Both reacted to the MAC becoming the first FBS conference to cancel its fall season while also referencing a lack of progress fighting the coronavirus, according to their medical professionals.

"It's not fair what we're doing to our coaches and student-athletes," one long-time Power Five AD said. "The sooner we can come to a finality, the better."

"I think it's inevitable [the season will not be played in the fall]," said another veteran Power Five AD.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ball-season-will-not-be-played-this-fall/amp/

Reactions: putnam green
I can see a scenario where only the Power 5's play. The domino's are falling from bottom up. First small schools, then Ivy League, now the MAC. C-USA is next in line with the AAC to follow.
The Power 5's have gone to conference only play. The MAC cannot survive without the revenue they get from playing the Power 5's. There was no way they could make the budget if they did play. The Power 5's generate the majority of their revenue from TV.
Since the majority of schools still playing are only playing conference games, UCONN had little to no one to schedule so they had to cancel since they are independent.
C-USA might be able to pull it off but the lack of TV revenues and cost of travel may be too much.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I believe it will fall to the P5 conferences as to go/no go. I’m in the group that thinks the 1st couple of weeks will be played. After that will depend on if any of the student athletes are contracting the virus. Coach O down in Baton Rouge isn’t going down easily.

I believe it will fall to the P5 conferences as to go/no go. I’m in the group that thinks the 1st couple of weeks will be played. After that will depend on if any of the student athletes are contracting the virus. Coach O down in Baton Rouge isn’t going down easily.
While I agree with the CBS story, I too think the season will start but will end before October

The final decision won’t be made until the public has convinced itself the season can’t go on, they are slowly turning up the heat ala boiling a lobster. Schools will keep hope alive for various reason not the least of which is fund raising.
Even the message board tough guys on this site are starting to convince themselves the season won’t be played or completed.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
While I agree with the CBS story, I too think the season will start but will end before October

I’m not sure at this point if we will have any games even under this scenario. Our non-con has been gutted and it’s not even over on that front yet.

I would like for us to play ECU (sometime in Sept.) even if that’s the only game of the season. Beyond that, I’m ready to pack it in based on the ongoing national trend.

When this thing first started changing sports overall in March, my thought was that we wouldn’t have high school/college sports until Fall 2021. That seems more likely than not at this point.

I think you’ll see a lot of the plans that have been made for playing this year implemented next fall (reduced capacity/no fans). I think we will be fully back to normal within the sports world in Fall 2022.

I’m not making that advocation. Just trying to read the national trends.

Also the only reason the season hasn’t been scrapped yet is because schools/leagues don’t want their rosters raided by the schools in leagues that haven’t canceled yet.

You better believe there’s been a free for all by schools trying to poach MAC rosters the past 24 hours or so.

Reactions: Herdmeister
The country needs college football. Just as parents across the country are rallying for a return to classroom instruction, we should have college football fans rallying to see games played. I hate to see so many comments that accept the inevitability of no football in the Fall. These kids will not get sick if they get the virus; statistics show how few young people are affected seriously by Covid-19. I have heard that lawsuits are a major concern of the AD's. The revenue gained by playing will cover the cost of lawsuits. Play the games!!!

The country needs college football. Just as parents across the country are rallying for a return to classroom instruction, we should have college football fans rallying to see games played. I hate to see so many comments that accept the inevitability of no football in the Fall. These kids will not get sick if they get the virus; statistics show how few young people are affected seriously by Covid-19. I have heard that lawsuits are a major concern of the AD's. The revenue gained by playing will cover the cost of lawsuits. Play the games!!!

Absolutely ekal!! There is intrinsic value in playing the season out. We Americans are hardwired for sports! The national psyche is craving a distraction from the virus & the political mess in D.C. .....

Don’t confuse prediction based on recent actions to a desire for cancellation. I feel there is only one poster who wishes Marshall’s season to go away.

Time to stop the foolish idea of trying to play football at anytime this year. Why risk the healthy players from any team to solely satisfy fans? Would you put your sons health at risk unnecessarily?

Reactions: JudgeDD
There won’t be any sports this year so it’s going to be another long boring fall

Time to stop the foolish idea of trying to play football at anytime this year. Why risk the healthy players from any team to solely satisfy fans? Would you put your sons health at risk unnecessarily?
Well, since my son is not a member of the football team/staff, you’re posing a false narrative. I’m ok with no fans......

Some of you are more interested in watching football than seeing our youth get an education. Lets concentrate on classrooms first, sports later. Plenty of time for sports but first lets get them started towards an education that will carry them through life. I love college football as much as anyone but I also accept that it's only a game, education isn't a game it's the future.

I agree with your entire statement except that the country needs football. I love sports as much as most on here but to say we NEED football or any sport is a little much. There are millions of people in this country that never watch, listen or talk about sports and they are doing just fine. There are colleges in America with no sports and they too are ok

I agree with your entire statement except that the country needs football. I love sports as much as most on here but to say we NEED football or any sport is a little much. There are millions of people in this country that never watch, listen or talk about sports and they are doing just fine. There are colleges in America with no sports and they too are ok
Gotta disagree. Sports is an escape for people. With everything shut down and nothing to do sports would be a welcome outlet.

Are you serious? "The revenue gained ...will cover...lawsuits." IDK what MU's total athletic budget is but it sure won't cover 1 lawsuit, let alone more than 1. Plus, with reduced attendance, that only exacerbates the problem.

Gotta disagree. Sports is an escape for people. With everything shut down and nothing to do sports would be a welcome outlet.
It is but as I said, millions don't associate with sports and they do fine. I know I have read a lot more books with no sports and I'm doing well

Well, since my son is not a member of the football team/staff, you’re posing a false narrative. I’m ok with no fans......

I don't see how playing with no fans is even possible. You're asking programs to incur all the expenses of the season without the revenue to offset it. Ticket sales, merchandise sales, and concession sales would not be there. That's a lot of revenue. That would be more detrimental than not playing at all. At least if there are no games you're not spending millions if dollars.

I want a season as bad as anyone, but if it's not safe to play 12 games it's not safe to play any. If fans can't be in the stands than players shouldn't be in the field.

Also Marshall plays absolutely terrible in empty stadiums.

Some of you are more interested in watching football than seeing our youth get an education. Lets concentrate on classrooms first, sports later. Plenty of time for sports but first lets get them started towards an education that will carry them through life. I love college football as much as anyone but I also accept that it's only a game, education isn't a game it's the future.
I didn’t realize MU is not welcoming back students this fall.....I could’ve sworn Dr. Jerry said so.

I didn’t realize MU is not welcoming back students this fall.....I could’ve sworn Dr. Jerry said so.
I saw the email that was sent out. Of course freshman and grad students can opt out and take on line if they want

Saw Dennis Dodd say the P12 was considering a taking out a huge loan and giving each member school millions to hold them over. Who's gonna put up the collateral and what happens is the league defaults on the loan. Crazy stuff.

BTW, I am not so sure college b'ball will be played either. At least it will not start until well after the holidays. jmo.

Saw Dennis Dodd say the P12 was considering a taking out a huge loan and giving each member school millions to hold them over. Who's gonna put up the collateral and what happens is the league defaults on the loan. Crazy stuff.

BTW, I am not so sure college b'ball will be played either. At least it will not start until well after the holidays. jmo.
Yeah.....even if an effective vaccine is approved for release to the citizenry, you're talking 335 million people! I like the idea of using the military to logistically
deliver all over the country, there's just no way that's happening by December.....

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Our basketball staff doesn't seem to be to confident of a traditional November start

Nope. They'll be lucky if they start in January and play in Feb.
I'm just glad that they are on the floor now. Danny told me yesterday that by missing May, June and July practice that they are very rusty a d out of shape. He is very happy with what he sees however, once they all get into shape

I'm pretty sure if a comet hit the Earth, causing the oceans to boil and the skies to fill with ash and dust, by week 2 most Americans would be like, "Is this not over yet? WHY IS THIS NOT OVER YET?"

Reactions: caliherd

I think basketball could have a season, or something of one. It'd have to take something drastic like a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off in a bubble or something.
Hell, just play 1 round robin to determine seedings for the conference tournament, then play said tournament. Then have 4 bubble locations and play the NCAA tournament? I have no idea.

I think basketball could have a season, or something of one. It'd have to take something drastic like a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off in a bubble or something.
Hell, just play 1 round robin to determine seedings for the conference tournament, then play said tournament. Then have 4 bubble locations and play the NCAA tournament? I have no idea.
How would schools like Marshall be able to pay for their team and staff to stay in hotels for weeks at a time?

Put the expense on a credit card same as the federal government is doing. Just joking, but I think fans should be allowed at basketball games. Folks with any health risks should not attend, thus significantly reducing the risk. The vaccine should be available in early 2021. I am anxious to see how many people will still not want to congregate, even if they have taken the shot. The indoctrination has been rather complete.

Put the expense on a credit card same as the federal government is doing. Just joking, but I think fans should be allowed at basketball games. Folks with any health risks should not attend, thus significantly reducing the risk. The vaccine should be available in early 2021. I am anxious to see how many people will still not want to congregate, even if they have taken the shot. The indoctrination has been rather complete.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a vaccine being that early to begin with.
Polio's vaccine took years to develop, on top of years of research and having been around as long as it has been.
Then some 40 years later is it considered completely elimimated in the west.

Not sure how effective this'll be even of developed in 2021.

How would schools like Marshall be able to pay for their team and staff to stay in hotels for weeks at a time?

Didn't say they would be able to. I was just thinking out loud.
I imagine there could be some sort of allowance the NCAA gives a conference in order to allow their teams to play...I dunno.

Reactions: Herdmeister
ADVERTISEMENT