ADVERTISEMENT

Private party car sale

-CarlHungus-

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
As much as I think it's awesome I drive the same Honda Odyssey as a potential supreme court justice....we may be looking for a different vehicle. We also have a Pilot with a third row that we love, so we don't really have as much utility for the van as we once thought. Looking at a slightly smaller vehicle (VW Tiguan, Tesla Model Y, CRV, etc, I'm open to any suggestions).

We have a low mileage (20K) 2017 top of the line Odyssey (Elite, leather, TV, vacuum cleaner, etc) and I'm wondering if we might be better off private sale than trading it in.

Any suggestions here? Is it worth it to do a private sale rather than a trade in? Will some creep come kill me if we meet up for a test drive?

Last edited:
If you want to text me the details, I can give you the NADA value of the vehicle. Don’t use Kelley Blue Book. If you do not need to trade it in, and you are not in any rush, trying to sell to somebody private is a pretty good idea. You will get more out of it that way.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
If you want to text me the details, I can give you the NADA value of the vehicle. Don’t use Kelley Blue Book. If you do not need to trade it in, and you are not in any rush, trying to sell to somebody private is a pretty good idea. You will get more out of it that way.

Awesome.

Yes, no hurry at all on it.

Most towns have a public place where people tend to leave vehicles that they want to sell. Sort of an unofficial car lot. If your town has a place like that, take the car there with a “for sale” sign on it. You will get inquiries.

I think they're hideous looking, but the Tesla Y had a strong recommendation from a dealer principal a couple of weeks ago. He said they are very well made. He has sold a dozen of them and only one had any issue within the first year . . . and it was quickly fixed on Tesla's dime.

The old belief that you can get more money from a private sale isn't nearly as accurate today. The used vehicle market is extremely depleted right now. Dealers are paying $2K - $5K over book at auctions just to get vehicles on their lot. A business partner of mine has owned a dealership for 19 years. Prices at auctions are so high right now (not counting buyer fees, transport fees, etc.) that he is using Utah's version of Craigslist (KSL) to buy vehicles from private buyers. He doesn't tell them that he is a dealership owner, brings them a check, and buys the vehicles on the spot, because the auction prices for used vehicles are more expensive than many private sales.

The biggest independent dealership in Utah usually carries about 400 vehicles on their lot. They are down to 140 vehicles now. Why? They are selling almost all of their inventory at auctions, because other dealers are paying so much for them. The auction house has given them their own lane, and it's far easier and faster to just run the cars through the auction and make an easy $3K on each vehicle than it is to have the vehicle sit on their lot, deal with customers, etc.

What I’ve done in the past is go to Carmax and get a quote on a trade in and start from there.

The used vehicle market is extremely depleted right now.

This is very true. And thus used car prices are ridiculous right now. If you are buying, buy new....there is very little price difference right now in a lightly used vs new car, especially with vehicles that depreciate less, like Hondas or Toyota trucks. Throw in any incentives, rebates, etc. and it gets real close. That 5k mile pre-owned likely isn't the best deal.

What I’ve done in the past is go to Carmax and get a quote on a trade in and start from there.

You can do that. Carvana also buys cars and will email you an offer. Hell, email a dozen dealerships, tell them you are looking to buy new and you want an offer on your van. A third will pull that old-style "you have to come in to talk numbers" bullshit, but others understand the marketplace is different these days.

You having a higher priced vehicle may help make you more immune to this, but every time I have private sold a car I have dealt with so many dipshits, low-ballers, and tire kickers that it really isn't worth the bother.

We just bought new a few months ago and even the Honda dealerships were throwing money at us. And even gave us some cash for my shitty ass 06 Pontiac

This is very true. And thus used car prices are ridiculous right now. If you are buying, buy new....there is very little price difference right now in a lightly used vs new car, especially with vehicles that depreciate less, like Hondas or Toyota trucks. Throw in any incentives, rebates, etc. and it gets real close. That 5k mile pre-owned likely isn't the best deal.
What do you think the used car market is going to look like over the next few years as leases come up and have much lower than normal miles on them due to the ongoing global situation?

I drove the Tesla model Y today.

Im not a car guy, but the interior seemed a tad cheap for a 50k car. However, the acceleration was insane. It felt like a rocket ship. It was like a souped up insane golf cart the way it decelerated when you came off the gas (?can you still call it “the gas?”)

It is insane to me to spend that much money on a car, but I did spend nearly that much on a damn van (Mrs Hungus : “if you’re getting us a van it better be a really nice one”).

I’m still pushing for me to go back to a Mazda 3, wife can drive the Pilot. Use the extra money on a sweet vacation.

Last edited:
I drove the Tesla model Y today.

Im not a car guy, but the interior seemed a tad cheap for a 50k car. However, the acceleration was insane. It felt like a rocket ship. It was like a souped up insane golf cart the way it decelerated when you came off the gas (?can you still call it “the gas?”)

It is insane to me to spend that much money on a car, but I did spend nearly that much on a damn van.

I’m still pushing for me to go back to a Mazda 3, wife can drive the Pilot. Use the extra money on a sweet vacation.

2021 Mazda 3 goes on sale soon, with an available turbo AWD model. No stick available on that one. But more power and AWD does sound alluring.

2021 Mazda 3 goes on sale soon, with an available turbo AWD model. No stick available on that one. But more power and AWD does sound alluring.

I like the AWD option because I do sometimes need to get to work in bad weather or snow.

My stick skills are awful. Just take the man card away. No one in my family had a stick shift growing up.

I want AWD, reliable, not too expensive, and Apple Car play. Third row a plus but not a must.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I like the AWD option because I do sometimes need to get to work in bad weather or snow.

My stick skills are awful. Just take the man card away. No one in my family had a stick shift growing up.

I want AWD, reliable, not too expensive, and Apple Car play. Third row a plus but not a must.

I've been driving stick since I was 12 lol. All that track stuff the car mags talk about, heel and toe, rev matching...yeah I am adept at it.

Third row or not is a BIG decision that changes all your choices, obviously. But if you want something fun to drive instead, I don't think you could do better than the Mazda 3 with the new turbo and AWD. The 3 already is an entertaining drive with the base 2.5 and manual. With the turbo (increased torque) and AWD it should be very satisfying around town.

* edt: who knows what happened on mobile, it cut off the end of my post

Last edited:
I've been driving stick since I was 12 lol. All that track stuff the car mags talk about, heel and toe, rev matching...yeah I am adept at it.

Third row or not is a BIG decision that changes all your choices, obviously. But if you want something fun to drive instead, I don't think you could do better than the Mazda 3 with the new turbo and AWD. The 3 already

Agree. Right now with three kids it’s fine.

If we adopt or go for another I might die...but I might also need the extra row.

I’m kind of schizophrenic on this car search. I go between a Mazda 3 or getting one of those sweet Winnebago Trevadas.

Of course this is all probably theater because Mrs Hungus will decide.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
My stick skills are awful.
tenor.gif

You got 60k the new corvette is amazing. If you have 40k can get one 2-3 years old with less than 20k miles on it. You have 25-30 K you can find one 5-7 years old with less than 40k miles.

My 2016 I drove off the lot all in in 2018 for less than 42k and had 17k miles on it.

Was just saying the best performance car for the price. Period.

BTW

Not a doctor. If I was a doctor would have a classic 1963 Split window corvette- about 250k+. LOL Make less than 100k a year, just been smart with my money for 30+ years. Plus divorced, no wife spending all the money and kids are grown and on their own. We raised them right(Ex is a good mother, just not a good wife) to be productive members of society, not to live off parents or the government.

Again since I can't do new posts I have to respond as edits to existing posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19MU88
but every time I have private sold a car I have dealt with so many dipshits, low-ballers, and tire kickers that it really isn't worth the bother.

Same, it almost isn't worth the extra grand or two you can get selling private party. Also, if you advertise in the paper, forget it. You'll be getting phone calls 6 months after you finally sell the vehicle, because all the free car trader pubs pick up recycled listings. Of course, I haven't sold since I was in college, and everything is online nowadays. But, I couldn't imagine it not being a yuge PITA.

You got 60k the new corvette is amazing. If you have 40k can get one 2-3 years old with less than 20k miles on it. You have 25-30 K you can find one 5-7 years old with less than 40k miles.

My 2016 I drove off the lot all in in 2018 for less than 42k and had 17k miles on it.

He’s a professional doctor, not a professional redneck.

He’s a professional doctor, not a professional redneck.
Your West Coast bias is showing. Except those guys would call it a "Hillbilly Car". But the Vette has a tremendous heritage and delivers outstanding performance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT