ADVERTISEMENT

Props to the WVU Fans

caliherd

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
Dublin, Oh
I will admit it. I’m not a fan of WVU. Never have been never will be. Now I am going by just watching on TV, I wasn’t in the arena but the WVU fans I saw on TV were rooting and cheering for Marshall. I will give them major props for that. I’m the first to give them crap but this time I’ll give them props. I actually hope they win. It would be cool to see a Marshall WVU game to go to the sweet 16.

Ok maybe so it’s not going to make me go put on a WVU shirt and scream Lets Go Mountaineers. But it honestly looked to me like they were legitimately rooting for us.

If they truly were rooting for us because we were the lower seed it could be a case if be careful what you wish for. Marshall and WVU have always had good games in basketball no matter the records or rankings.

In any event it was cool in my eyes, it will probably be the only time in my life I will give out a compliment to WVU but I think in this case they deserve it.

I will admit it. I’m not a fan of WVU. Never have been never will be. Now I am going by just watching on TV, I wasn’t in the arena but the WVU fans I saw on TV were rooting and cheering for Marshall. I will give them major props for that. I’m the first to give them crap but this time I’ll give them props. I actually hope they win. It would be cool to see a Marshall WVU game to go to the sweet 16.

90-95% of WVU fans have no ill will toward Marshall and root for you when you arent playing us.

We just like to give you guys a hard time on here.

Last edited:
Don think there was ever hate.

Just annoyed when you guys would act like you were on the same level as us. (no offense)

There will be some serious butt hurt and embarrassment if you pull the upset Sunday though.
how deep do you play? I mean Danny only goes about 2 deep off the bench. With your press d it worries me we might get winded if you can keep the pressure on us all game. The good thing is we have 4 guys who can move the ball. Should be an interesting game

how deep do you play? I mean Danny only goes about 2 deep off the bench. With your press d it worries me we might get winded if you can keep the pressure on us all game. The good thing is we have 4 guys who can move the ball. Should be an interesting game

Not as deep as recent years. We play 9 or 10 guys.

Your guards can shoot, but don't seem like the type of players that can handle the pressure that Jevon Carter and the rest of our guards will bring. We should also have a huge advantage in the paint.

We tend to give up open 3's though, and you guys are clearly capable of knocking those down. Will be an interesting game.

With our style of play, we're usually a nightmare for anybody on one day prep/rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I've only met one wvu fan who was an asshole to my face. Any trash between the two schools is almost entirely online. The bad part about social media and comment sections is the loudest mouthed people get all the attention, or create it. The wvu fans in San Diego aren't the ones who hate MU for no reason, same for our fans. I guarantee Herd Haters' credit line won't allow him a trip to SD. He's safely talking shit on RT 2 in his rancher located in a flood zone.

I wasnt there but I was cheering like hell for Marshall just because you are a WV school. However with that said, I hope we hammer you in the next game (just like you want Marshall to hammer WVU).

If we beat WVU I'm sure the hate will re-emerge
Not to mention, Vernon getting trigger happy with the ban-bazooka over at their site.

If the Herd handles their press, wvu leaves 3 point shooters wide open. However, I look for Huggins to play a bunch of 1-3-1 against the Herd.

Not to mention, Vernon getting trigger happy with the ban-bazooka over at their site.

If the Herd handles their press, wvu leaves 3 point shooters wide open. However, I look for Huggins to play a bunch of 1-3-1 against the Herd.

I’d be surprised by this. We usually run this later in games or out of time outs as a change of pace and/or run clock. We give up a lot of corner threes out of that look.

If we get in foul trouble we will play zone though - either 1-3-1 or what Huggins calls “point drop” - kind of a match-up ish zone.

I think we’ll play mostly man and switch every screen and take our chances with the resultant mismatches. We’ll try to press but that could be risky because broken press open threes seem like a recipe for disaster....but pressing could fatigue the herd to some degree.

We barely played 1-3-1 all year.

Marshall has shooters, but they dont have ball handlers. We'll pressure and just look to wear them down and beat them up for 40 minutes.

He's used 1-3-1 in the past if we're out talented by teams.... like that John Wall UK team in 2010. Not the case against Marshall.

I'm saying they may play more 1-3-1 than usual, if Marshall is handling their full court pressure and making 3's. If you're getting beat, you'll have to do something unorthodox due to Marshall playing a totally different style than you're used to playing against. Hopefully, WVU will forfeit, due to Huggins not wanting to play Marshall.

Reactions: SamSwimmer
For three hours on Sunday, the residents of this state can forget about the opioids, the free-range needles, potholes, closed coal mines, teacher strikes, etc... and come together to just share a genuine dislike for the other team. Frankly, it's a beautiful thing.
Totally agree with this post! It’s going to be awesome. The only 2 Div 1 NCAA teams in West Virginia are in the final 32 teams in the tournament. I am a WVU fan but also root for Marshall. I’m from Beckley and now live in Vegas. I’m stoked for this game.

Oh, ok, I came over here to give you guys kudos; cheered for you guys at the bar today where I watched the game with WVU fans.

Should have known better............ ungrateful.

Not all of them cheer against WV. I think the majority of Marshall fans cheer for West Virginians, not WV.

A close friend of mine who was at the game today said the WVU fans were awesome. He said they cheered their butts off for Marshall and were totally cool to Marshall fans.

He also stated that they made such an impression on Marshall fans at the arena many of them stuck around and watched and cheered for WVU. He said it was really cool.

So once again props to WVU fans.

I've only met one wvu fan who was an asshole to my face. Any trash between the two schools is almost entirely online. The bad part about social media and comment sections is the loudest mouthed people get all the attention, or create it. The wvu fans in San Diego aren't the ones who hate MU for no reason, same for our fans. I guarantee Herd Haters' credit line won't allow him a trip to SD. He's safely talking shit on RT 2 in his rancher located in a flood zone.
Online bravery is for the extreme shitheads. That goes for any team, any sport, politics, etc. A few bad apples scream the loudest and cause bias....

That said I hope we wreck Marshall, but if we don't, I will be fully rooting for you guys to keep advancing and spoil some blue blood's dreams

Well Charles Barkley said ignorant fans hating a school and not wanting to play is plain stupid. Now he said that. I wanna see the herd playing wv myself every year. Some fans don't wanna play cause they can't stand even the thought of losing to that EVIL team. Grow a pair

A close friend of mine who was at the game today said the WVU fans were awesome. He said they cheered their butts off for Marshall and were totally cool to Marshall fans.

He also stated that they made such an impression on Marshall fans at the arena many of them stuck around and watched and cheered for WVU. He said it was really cool.

So once again props to WVU fans.
When you throw a bunch of hillbillies out to some fancy, west coast city we gotta stick together. We can out drink them if nothing else

Well Charles Barkley said ignorant fans hating a school and not wanting to play is plain stupid. Now he said that. I wanna see the herd playing wv myself every year. Some fans don't wanna play cause they can't stand even the thought of losing to that EVIL team. Grow a pair

You're right. If Kentucky plays Louisville, there really is no reason for WV not to play Marshall. It makes them look silly.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I didn't want to play Louisville. Hated the thought of losing to them. Now its a exciting game every year.

EERS love to melt you under their persistent pressure, get turnovers, and cash them into points...
they're not known as a great offensive team.

If we can protect the ball and prevent them from getting the easy break away baskets...and hit a high percentage of our looks, we can definately beat these guys.

Penava needs to not get in foul trouble & Williams needs to give us his best quality play he can muster.

A 1-point win will get us there. Go Herd

EERS love to melt you under their persistent pressure, get turnovers, and cash them into points...
they're not known as a great offensive team.

If we can protect the ball and prevent them from getting the easy break away baskets...and hit a high percentage of our looks, we can definately beat these guys.

Penava needs to not get in foul trouble & Williams needs to give us his best quality play he can muster.

A 1-point win will get us there. Go Herd
Penava needs to avoid the stupid mistakes he made today.

Reactions: 31Herd55
It was heartwarming to see them cheering for us. Their pep band was really into it. All that goodwill was ruined when Thuggins gave his press conf., stumbling to come up with yet another stupid excuse not to play.......because we are four hours away. He’s a sad, angry person. Vile and belligerent

Reactions: 31Herd55
I guess the answer is no.
You all are not Kentucky nor Louisville in terms of historical significance either. Kentucky can't play every D1 team in their state every year either. There are too many of them. wvu never won a game in Huntington. That is why they won't go back. wvu has some good fans. Their admin and many of their coaches have been pompous ass holes.

You all are not Kentucky nor Louisville in terms of historical significance either. Kentucky can't play every D1 team in their state every year either. wvu never won a game in Huntington. That is why they won't go back.

Then I'm sure they play at least one school at a neutral site. I'm sure Louisville does the same?

Then I'm sure they play at least one school at a neutral site. I'm sure Louisville does the same?
I honestly have no idea. Play home and home. Screw the neutral site. My understanding is that was forced by the WVlegislature years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT