ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Marshall baseball..

Aug 11, 2005
Dear Herd Nation,

First I want to begin by saying thank you for breaking through the national championship wall for Conference USA. I have followed our conference since day 1 with basketball in 1995. Marshall broke through a wall many never thought possible. Now I have some questions about your baseball program and the challenges it faces. Speaking from my own alma mater USM, baseball once played at the same park as the high school until Pete Taylor Park opened in 1984. Until then, there was no charge for baseball. When the Pete opened, the baseball still had to use the basketball coliseum as a clubhouse until 2001 when they they finally had their own clubhouse at the stadium. It wasn't until about 20 years ago The Dugout Club formed, fundraising money specifically for baseball formed. Once this happened, our baseball games routinely and regularly had larger crowds than the basketball games.

I say all of this to say I hope that Marshall is able to complete its baseball stadium. I have seen depictions of it, and it is really something special. I did some research on Marshall baseball, and I see that the Herd last made the regionals in 1978. I'd love to know how they made it happen on limited resoures. I also see that Marshall had a really great season in 2016. That may have been the year you guys ran tbrough the CUSA tournament taking no prisoners. This conference had a strong year in baseball and having one more strong team would be even better.

Houston - thanks! It was an amazing run. Hopefully we can go deep again this fall! As for the baseball stadium, you can see by the lack of responses that this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board for many years. COVID more than likely killed the 30/70 chance that it is going to happen. Our soon to be former AD is sticking around to try and raise the additional $$ needed to go forward. Maybe he will get it done? We certainly need one; that's been the case for about 60 years!

From the one news article I found from a year ago, it seems to me that too much had been planned to pull back on it now. Again I know very little about this situation, but if for no other reason than to save face.

From the one news article I found from a year ago, it seems to me that too much had been planned to pull back on it now. Again I know very little about this situation, but if for no other reason than to save face.
Unless “saving face” can be traded in for $5 mil, we don’t care….😳

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT