ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the wvu lurkers

Bankerreturns

Silver Buffalo
Jul 14, 2017
what exactly do you expect from a coach? Do you really believe that you are a program that should win at least 10 games a year and be in play off conversation each year?

I know you have an inflated opinion of self with your "15th winningest program" line, but you guys really know that record was built playing teams that are not exactly current P5 caliber. The truth is that in your history you are only 121-136-5 against teams that are currently in a P5 conference. Since Nehlen left, and you had your greatest run in history, you are still only 54-53 against P5 competition. You have still just fattened your record against G5 and FCS competition along with the teams that had a cup of coffee in the big leagues only to end up in the AAC.

The truth is that you should just be happy going to lower level P5 bowl games and having winning seasons. It's who you are and have always been. It's a shame that the planets aligned for a few years when you had some great talent and a watered down schedule. It gave you unrealistic expectations.

Read any comments section & their fans are legit delusional. Just because Dana left to take a job at a school that hasn't lived up to expectations doesn't mean Saban will do the same thing.

I think their frustrations are the same MU fans currently have with Doc. In the good years, what wvu should have had this season, 8-4 shouldn’t be good enough.

wvu fans would be happy with an average of 7-5/8-4, with an occasional 10-2 record & Big12 title game appearance. That’s what this season should have been.

Reactions: Stone_Cold
They won 10 games last year. Again, do they expect it every year and is that close to realistic?

They won 10 games last year. Again, do they expect it every year and is that close to realistic?
Would you be happy with an 8-4 record if you returned the majority of your team from a 10 win season?

It’s not just about the record. It was losing a shot at the Big12 title game. This was “their year” and they lost @OK St, after an embarrassing performance @Iowa St.

Marshall fans expect to be the Boise St of the east (even though UCF has already firmly taken that title and even passed them) and to win the division every year and challenge for the access bowl spot. wvu fans expect to challenge for the Big 12 & playoff every year. Neither seems to happen more than once a blue moon. Hard to tell which fan base is less realistic. At least wvu is rolling is money, so maybe that softens the disappointment of having never won it all.

what exactly do you expect from a coach? Do you really believe that you are a program that should win at least 10 games a year and be in play off conversation each year?

I know you have an inflated opinion of self with your "15th winningest program" line, but you guys really know that record was built playing teams that are not exactly current P5 caliber. The truth is that in your history you are only 121-136-5 against teams that are currently in a P5 conference. Since Nehlen left, and you had your greatest run in history, you are still only 54-53 against P5 competition. You have still just fattened your record against G5 and FCS competition along with the teams that had a cup of coffee in the big leagues only to end up in the AAC.

The truth is that you should just be happy going to lower level P5 bowl games and having winning seasons. It's who you are and have always been. It's a shame that the planets aligned for a few years when you had some great talent and a watered down schedule. It gave you unrealistic expectations.

You were one of the first Marshall fans to post on our board after the Camping World bowl loss.

Enough said.

I have no desire to come to your board and denigrate (sorry, should have used a less complex term) Marshall. I support them any time except when they play WVU.

You were one of the first Marshall fans to post on our board after the Camping World bowl loss.

Enough said.

I have no desire to come to your board and denigrate (sorry, should have used a less complex term) Marshall. I support them any time except when they play WVU.

I just don’t understand why some Marshall fans have such disdain for WVU and hope to see us fail. As I’ve said before, I always want to see Marshall succeed when they are not playing WVU.

I just don’t understand why some Marshall fans have such disdain for WVU and hope to see us fail. As I’ve said before, I always want to see Marshall succeed when they are not playing WVU.

Maybe because most of the wvu fan base treats Marshall has second class citizens.

Some of their fans are so eaten up with disdain they post nonsense like the BigXII is the worst conference and teams who couldn’t even get a bowl, like Louisville, are better football programs. Funny and sad at the same time.

most wvu fans can't even spell college, much less attend college, much less attend wvu...…..take that and add to the fact most of them are assholes and you have your answer.

For every wvu fan turned off by MU fans there are probably 10 herd fans turned off by wvu fans and enjoy rooting against wvu almost as much as rooting for MU. wvu is the gift that keeps giving.

All fan bases are dumb. They all believe their team deserves to win their conference every year. Just a couple years ago when Bama lost to Clemson and before that when they lost to tOSU, Bama fans wanted him gone. Claiming his time was over and it's time to move on.

The fact about WVU is this is who they are and always have been. Since 1967 WVU has won only two outright conference championships(93,05).

Their winningest coach won just one title in 20 seasons.

The other things is there really is no HC that WVU can get that's going to push the program any further.

Look around CFB. There are only a handful of coaches capable of coaching their teams to conference and national titles on a consistent basis and those coaches are going to morgantown. Of O were wrong then there would be a lot more teams with national titles. The system is either 100% rigged for about 10 teams or there just aren't that many championship level coaches.

WVU doesn't have the money or the recruiting to compete like the fans believe they can. Both our teams suffer from being in a state that produces little to no FBS talent. When we do they tend to leave.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Read any comments section & their fans are legit delusional.

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png

Reactions: TeenWolfChubby
All fan bases are dumb. They all believe their team deserves to win their conference every year. Just a couple years ago when Bama lost to Clemson and before that when they lost to tOSU, Bama fans wanted him gone. Claiming his time was over and it's time to move on.

The fact about WVU is this is who they are and always have been. Since 1967 WVU has won only two outright conference championships(93,05).

Their winningest coach won just one title in 20 seasons.

The other things is there really is no HC that WVU can get that's going to push the program any further.

Look around CFB. There are only a handful of coaches capable of coaching their teams to conference and national titles on a consistent basis and those coaches are going to morgantown. Of O were wrong then there would be a lot more teams with national titles. The system is either 100% rigged for about 10 teams or there just aren't that many championship level coaches.

WVU doesn't have the money or the recruiting to compete like the fans believe they can. Both our teams suffer from being in a state that produces little to no FBS talent. When we do they tend to leave.

This post is disingenuous. We didn’t join the Big East until the early 1990’s. I’m not going to try to refute the other garbage you posted because you’re not going to be rational or give WVU any credit.

most wvu fans can't even spell college, much less attend college, much less attend wvu...…..take that and add to the fact most of them are assholes and you have your answer.

For every wvu fan turned off by MU fans there are probably 10 herd fans turned off by wvu fans and enjoy rooting against wvu almost as much as rooting for MU. wvu is the gift that keeps giving.

The same could be said about a large portion of Marshall fans.

I think this is about more then just about wins....I think Gee and Lyons want their guy in that job....someone that will go around the state and talk to the public and one that is not leading the single life 24-7...

I think this is about more then just about wins....I think Gee and Lyons want their guy in that job....someone that will go around the state and talk to the public and one that is not leading the single life 24-7...

Well, you guys didn't seem to mind that at all when he was getting the G6 invite to big bowl games and winning them.

I figured the wvu folks would make this about Marshall whether it was or not. Deflection is common when faced with a harsh reality. You guys simply have never been consistently competitive with big boy programs, hence the sub .500 record against them. Going 8-4 with a team that won 10 the year before (even though you had a few really good players graduate) just means a bounce or two went your way last year and didn't this year. The coach didn't get better or worse, just the breaks.

Who you going to get that is going to consistently get those breaks to go your way? Who you going to get that can get a couple 5 stars and a dozen 4 stars to come to Morgantown every year?

growing up I always liked wvu . Then I was introduced to the wvu fans who treated us like pond scum. After that I never rooted for them again. Today I don't root against the eers I just don't follow them much. I have lived in Ohio now for 26 years so my "other team" is the Ohio State Bucks. I will say I was encouraged by the fact the blue and gold rooted for us last year when we played WSU in the tourney.

This post is disingenuous. We didn’t join the Big East until the early 1990’s. I’m not going to try to refute the other garbage you posted because you’re not going to be rational or give WVU any credit.

For what? Your fans think you deserve to routinely win your conference. However Since being a member of a conference you have won just 2 outright conference titles.

You didn't start winning until BC, VT, and Miami left. Even once you were the supposed Big Dog in your conference you struggled to win in outright.

Also what else did I say was wrong? Go look at all the AP, BCS, and Playoff National Champions. They go to the same teams over and over and over again.

Now either the system is rigged or there just are not that many Championship caliber coaches to go around.

Was I wrong about money? Does wvu possess the deep pockets as OU or Texas? Bama? tOSU? No. No they don't.

Was a mistaken about recruiting? Most of the elite teams recruit for the most part in their states and regions. WV has to go further to get recruits and those they get for the most part are not the top recruits. Heck even Holgorsen said that.

Want a go a step further let's look at WVU's bowl record. Something like 15-20.

You say I am not giving WVU a fair shake. Your results speak for me. WVU is a 2nd tier P5 team. You are not among the elites and more often than not you tend to not show up in the big games when something is on the line. In your entire history you have never finished with an undefeated season.

I'm not being disingenuous at all. I'm simply stating facts.

I just go back to what was said when Stewart was unceremoniously removed. 9-3 was not good enough for wvu. However. Since Nehlen that's been about the average.

Nehlen 7-4
Rodriguez 9-3
Stewart 9-3
Holgorsen 8-5

I would get it if WVU was missing bowls. Then you should be irate. However WVU should largely be happy. Not saying you shouldn't aspire for more, but the vitriol direct at your last two coaches is unwarranted.

Since 1967 WVU has won only two outright conference championships(93,05).

WVU doesn't have the money or the recruiting to compete like the fans believe they can.

So, co-champions doesn’t count? You realize we were co-champions and went on to beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and finished ranked 5th in the country? And we played for a National Championship before the Big East was formed.

We are getting ready to receive a check for $44 million.

Like I said in another post, you poor fellas are so eaten up with disdain that you post nonsense.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth

So are you happy with Doc's performance? Yeah you won MAC championships but cusa is different. Just curious if you're happy.

So are you happy with Doc's performance? Yeah you won MAC championships but cusa is different. Just curious if you're happy.
Doc should have more conference titles since moving to the new conference. There's no way around it. The bowl streak is genuinely impressive though. If we're disappointed, I can't imagine how dissapointed wvu fans at not only not having any Big12 titles, but an abhorrent bowl record to boot.

Reactions: Stone_Cold
Doc should have more conference titles since moving to the new conference. There's no way around it. The bowl streak is genuinely impressive though. If we're disappointed, I can't imagine how dissapointed wvu fans at not only not having any Big12 titles, but an abhorrent bowl record to boot.
His development and recruiting of QB's over the 8 years was abysmal. Always one injury away from disaster if we lost 'insert transfer QB name here'

So, co-champions doesn’t count? You realize we were co-champions and went on to beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and finished ranked 5th in the country? And we played for a National Championship before the Big East was formed.

We are getting ready to receive a check for $44 million.

Like I said in another post, you poor fellas are so eaten up with disdain that you post nonsense.

When a conference has as many as 4 co-champions in its league...it diminishes the whole aspect of a champion. wvu has won it outright...maybe twice?

The rest of the time, wvu shared it with the likes of UConn, Louisville, and Rutgers.

Well, you guys didn't seem to mind that at all when he was getting the G6 invite to big bowl games and winning them.

I figured the wvu folks would make this about Marshall whether it was or not. Deflection is common when faced with a harsh reality. You guys simply have never been consistently competitive with big boy programs, hence the sub .500 record against them. Going 8-4 with a team that won 10 the year before (even though you had a few really good players graduate) just means a bounce or two went your way last year and didn't this year. The coach didn't get better or worse, just the breaks.

Who you going to get that is going to consistently get those breaks to go your way? Who you going to get that can get a couple 5 stars and a dozen 4 stars to come to Morgantown every year?

I don’t even know how to begin with this nonsense. What is G6 and what bowls are you talking about. In 2011, we were in a BCS Conference, won the league, and won the Orange Bowl

We won 10 games in 2016, not 2017. Last year Grier was injured at the start of the Texas game that was near the end of the season and we ended up at 7-6.

At the end of the day, whether you think we have a chance to get back there or not, we have a seat at the table and have a path to the CFP. We also are being paid hand over fist money, part of which has already been allocated to a facilities building total renovation. We are constantly bettering our facilities now.

Puskar-Center-exterior-night-front-524x400.jpg

5b63c1785ee41.image.jpg

For what? Your fans think you deserve to routinely win your conference. However Since being a member of a conference you have won just 2 outright conference titles.

You didn't start winning until BC, VT, and Miami left. Even once you were the supposed Big Dog in your conference you struggled to win in outright.

Also what else did I say was wrong? Go look at all the AP, BCS, and Playoff National Champions. They go to the same teams over and over and over again.

Now either the system is rigged or there just are not that many Championship caliber coaches to go around.

Was I wrong about money? Does wvu possess the deep pockets as OU or Texas? Bama? tOSU? No. No they don't.

Was a mistaken about recruiting? Most of the elite teams recruit for the most part in their states and regions. WV has to go further to get recruits and those they get for the most part are not the top recruits. Heck even Holgorsen said that.

Want a go a step further let's look at WVU's bowl record. Something like 15-20.

You say I am not giving WVU a fair shake. Your results speak for me. WVU is a 2nd tier P5 team. You are not among the elites and more often than not you tend to not show up in the big games when something is on the line. In your entire history you have never finished with an undefeated season.

I'm not being disingenuous at all. I'm simply stating facts.

I just go back to what was said when Stewart was unceremoniously removed. 9-3 was not good enough for wvu. However. Since Nehlen that's been about the average.

Nehlen 7-4
Rodriguez 9-3
Stewart 9-3
Holgorsen 8-5

I would get it if WVU was missing bowls. Then you should be irate. However WVU should largely be happy. Not saying you shouldn't aspire for more, but the vitriol direct at your last two coaches is unwarranted.

What you said that was disingenuous was WVU has 2 outright Conference Championships since 1967. If we’d have been in a conference all those years, your comment would have merit. However, we were independent for many years, along with Penn State, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Pitt, among others. During that time, we played for a National Championship.

Reactions: Timtnt9
Yeah! We have cool buildings for our mediocre teams to practice and lift weights!

Yeah! We have lots of money to pay our average coaches!

Fans bragging about conference payouts and athletic budgets has always cracked me up. I guess when you just don't get any results with that money then all you have to brag about is the money.

Yep, just like Kansas and all the other filler teams in the conference.

Did you forget we were invited to the Big 12 instead of Louisville? There are several quality programs in the Big 12. Oklahoma State was a freak upset away from playing for a title in 2011 and TCU was robbed of a CFP appearance in 2014.

What you said that was disingenuous was WVU has 2 outright Conference Championships since 1967. If we’d have been in a conference all those years, your comment would have merit. However, we were independent for many years, along with Penn State, Virginia Tech, Miami, and Pitt, among others. During that time, we played for a National Championship.

Ah, the big lie. You played a team that, if they won, they would be national champs. They did and were. You were not ranked number two. If you had won it was not guaranteed that you would have won the national championship. Miami was #2 and handily won their bowl. They most likely would have gotten the trophy.

growing up I always liked wvu . Then I was introduced to the wvu fans who treated us like pond scum. After that I never rooted for them again. Today I don't root against the eers I just don't follow them much. I have lived in Ohio now for 26 years so my "other team" is the Ohio State Bucks. I will say I was encouraged by the fact the blue and gold rooted for us last year when we played WSU in the tourney.

I’m surprised you’re able to root for OSU. I live on the border of West Virginia and Ohio and most of the countless Buckeye fans I’ve encountered have been extremely arrogant, self-righteous.

It’s regrettable that you had negative experiences with WVU fans, but most I interact with want to see Marshall do well as long as they are not playing the Mountaineers.

Reactions: ohio herd
Yeah! We have cool buildings for our mediocre teams to practice and lift weights!

Yeah! We have lots of money to pay our average coaches!

Fans bragging about conference payouts and athletic budgets has always cracked me up. I guess when you just don't get any results with that money then all you have to brag about is the money.

The fact that we are in a conference with those payouts speaks to the level our athletics department is at. I’m sure you’d like have great facilities that are constantly improving instead of always talking about a lack of funds and ways to raise revenue and get fans to attend games.

Ah, the big lie. You played a team that, if they won, they would be national champs. They did and were. You were not ranked number two. If you had won it was not guaranteed that you would have won the national championship. Miami was #2 and handily won their bowl. They most likely would have gotten the trophy.

Are you really this stupid or is this just an act. We played for a National Championship in 1989 against Notre Dame. If we would have won, we would have been undefeated and would have been National Champs.

ADVERTISEMENT