ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Zillow Search of Corning, New York

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Only shows one house for sale that is above $1 million. I even removed the city limit boundary. There is one in Chambers for $900,000.

I am not moving there now.

Only shows one house for sale that is above $1 million. I even removed the city limit boundary. There is one in Chambers for $900,000.
Never heard of Chambers. You must not know how to work a basic internet search function.

The wealthy - like the execs at the Fortune 500 headquarters that is based there - will buy a local place with 6000 square feet on 5 acres for $1MM like this place:

Then, they will buy another place on one of the Finger Lakes 30 minutes away, like this place:

Or this place:

Or $1.2MM for 4700 square feet on 48 acres:

Or spend $600k for 20 acres for this lake house:

In all seriousness, there were a handful of kids in my high school whose fathers were execs at that company. One was one of the best friends of my brother, and their house was nice (probably around 5000 square feet) on top of a hill but not extravagant. They did, of course, have the lake house. One of the other kids was a baseball player two years younger than me. Some of his classmates who we pulled up early for the playoffs were able to figure out the kid's father's earnings each year for a bunch of years. He had earned something like $20MM over the previous four years in salary, bonuses, and stock. Yet they lived in an average house (at that time, probably a $250k house) in a fairly upper-middle class neighborhood (but far from the nicest neighborhoods). Most of those families had their regular house (nice but nothing over-the-top) and then had a more expensive lake house, a southern house and/or a nice NYC apartment since their fathers commuted there so often for work.

Cheap housing, very comparable on a dollar per square foot basis with its Appalachian cousin, Huntington, WV.

Cheap housing, very comparable on a dollar per square foot basis with its Appalachian cousin, Huntington, WV.
Yeah, but Corning actually has legitimate public education, beautiful public areas/services, and is immune to crackheads walking downtown, so as a result, property taxes make that property far more expensive.

I was with Raelynn a few nights ago, so it’s no surprise that even she is talking about Corning.

Never heard of Chambers. You must not know how to work a basic internet search function.

The wealthy - like the execs at the Fortune 500 headquarters that is based there - will buy a local place with 6000 square feet on 5 acres for $1MM like this place:

Then, they will buy another place on one of the Finger Lakes 30 minutes away, like this place:

Or this place:

Or $1.2MM for 4700 square feet on 48 acres:

Or spend $600k for 20 acres for this lake house:

In all seriousness, there were a handful of kids in my high school whose fathers were execs at that company. One was one of the best friends of my brother, and their house was nice (probably around 5000 square feet) on top of a hill but not extravagant. They did, of course, have the lake house. One of the other kids was a baseball player two years younger than me. Some of his classmates who we pulled up early for the playoffs were able to figure out the kid's father's earnings each year for a bunch of years. He had earned something like $20MM over the previous four years in salary, bonuses, and stock. Yet they lived in an average house (at that time, probably a $250k house) in a fairly upper-middle class neighborhood (but far from the nicest neighborhoods). Most of those families had their regular house (nice but nothing over-the-top) and then had a more expensive lake house, a southern house and/or a nice NYC apartment since their fathers commuted there so often for work.
I did a zillow search for Corning, NY. The other house was Chambers Road. Zillow even listed Luxury homes for Corning, NY.

It looks pretty affordable there. Lots of house for the $$$. Problem is that weather, too cold. Also, it is in NY.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT