ADVERTISEMENT

Quote from Bill Legg

Herd Fever

Platinum Buffalo
Sep 25, 2008
"I bet you, we put in between 30 and 40 percent of the offense on day one," offensive coordinator Bill Legg said. "Then, we added some on day two and a little bit more (Saturday)." - Herald-Dispatch

All I could say to myself was the Top half of Page 1 has been installed

the more simple they can make it, the better as far as I am concerned. Get them to do a few things well, and have them play faster. Walk before you can run type thing.

sluggo72 posted "Walk before you can run . . ." Uh how long does one have to walk before they run? This is not youth league, middle school, or high school and yes it is not the NFL. However you either produce after playing the game for most of your young life or be prepared to stay on the sidelines and be practice players.

Lest we forget many players are already familiar with the system so I imagine it can go pretty quick. Yes, I am sure there are more plays in the playbook. In fact, the coaches probably haven't looked at game film of Miami, rather, instilling their offense. When they see what defense Miami runs as well as offense, then they can make adjustments, add plays to the playbook, and run plays that already exist.

I remember reading a major problem with Snyder's guy (can't remember the OC's name but he's in MS at a HS in Biloxi or wherever), had a playbook that was TOO big.
I like simplicity in an offense and with the team being, generally, more athletic and better, you can run it and add stuff later when needed.

Mike Sanford (WKU) was quoted the other day that they work on 7-8 bread and butter plays at first, get them down pat and then move on.

Now compared to our 2-3 bread and butter plays, it shouldn't be that hard to digest.

Here's my question: of the seven seasons Doc Holliday has been our coach, how many of those seasons were we capable of running our offense up-tempo, as it is intended to work? Our offense is supposed to be fast, not complex, and the impact of its simplicity is supposed to be negated by speed at which we reset and call the next play.

If my fuzzy recollection holds, we were able to run the offense in true up-tempo style only two seasons in the last seven (2013, 2014), with hints of it in 2012.

Here's my question: of the seven seasons Doc Holliday has been our coach, how many of those seasons were we capable of running our offense up-tempo, as it is intended to work? Our offense is supposed to be fast, not complex, and the impact of its simplicity is supposed to be negated by speed at which we reset and call the next play.

If my fuzzy recollection holds, we were able to run the offense in true up-tempo style only two seasons in the last seven (2013, 2014), with hints of it in 2012.

Yes, because Cato learned the playbook and wasn't afraid to run. The latter not being existent in 2016.

TwolfHerdfan "bread and butter" plays! Marshall? We don't have either. Our plays is Litton in shotgun formation - clap, clap, clap - drop back a little more - look only for one receiver and if he can't find him - run like hell. Good play don't you think?

Reactions: cottrell75
30 to 40 percent of the playbook on the first day. Sounds about right... learned 1 play and are working on play # 2.. lmao. What a joke.

the more simple they can make it, the better as far as I am concerned. Get them to do a few things well, and have them play faster. Walk before you can run type thing.

Sluggo all I can think of is someone on Scooby Doo pulling off a mask and you being Bill Legg under there.

tumblr_ljv1aaccJM1qitfwho1_400.gif

I remember during the VaTech game, every time we went up tempo, their defense couldn't stop us. They would fake an injury or call time out to catch their breath. For a few brief moments (and very few in Doc's career at Marshall) it was a thing of beauty.

Sluggo all I can think of is someone on Scooby Doo pulling off a mask and you being Bill Legg under there.

tumblr_ljv1aaccJM1qitfwho1_400.gif
I can't be anything but positive about this year!!
the number of plays won't determine this season, more likely how well we execute them.

"I bet you, we put in between 30 and 40 percent of the offense on day one," offensive coordinator Bill Legg said. "Then, we added some on day two and a little bit more (Saturday)." - Herald-Dispatch

All I could say to myself was the Top half of Page 1 has been installed

An offense is easy when you hand off left, hand off right and pass on 3rd down. Legg has no imagination and should not be in the position to call the plays. Haven't we learned that by now?

An offense is easy when you hand off left, hand off right and pass on 3rd down. Legg has no imagination and should not be in the position to call the plays. Haven't we learned that by now?

But, but, buuuuuutttt......He and Doc are best friends, so that's worth more than having a successful team and doing what's right for the program. You're not a fan if you disagree with that sentiment!

Doc is going to end up hanging himself this season, and it will be from having a Legg hooked around his throat, MMA style.

Reactions: Elkview
If our offense has a turnaround this year, I'm sure people will think Legg has added more plays or slapping the Co-OC title on Goebbel worked miracles. But Im going to guess the reason for a turn around and more diverse play calling will be because our QB will be dedicated to knowing the offense and the OC will be able to call what he wants instead of what he has to. Litton's lack of dedication last season has been talked about. Yet, for some reason, nobody contributes that to the lack of diversity in our play calling.

I'm in no way trying to argue that Legg is an innovative offensive mind. But maybe, just MAYBE, the reason we've gone from one of the top offenses in the country to one that's hard to watch is because we haven't had a dedicated QB like we once did. Hard for an OC to open up the playbook when he knows his QB struggles making the right reads and that QB doesnt spend the extra time in the film room preparing.

We'll see what happens. Time for all parties involved to step it up.

If our offense has a turnaround this year, I'm sure people will think Legg has added more plays or slapping the Co-OC title on Goebbel worked miracles. But Im going to guess the reason for a turn around and more diverse play calling will be because our QB will be dedicated to knowing the offense and the OC will be able to call what he wants instead of what he has to. Litton's lack of dedication last season has been talked about. Yet, for some reason, nobody contributes that to the lack of diversity in our play calling.

I'm in no way trying to argue that Legg is an innovative offensive mind. But maybe, just MAYBE, the reason we've gone from one of the top offenses in the country to one that's hard to watch is because we haven't had a dedicated QB like we once did. Hard for an OC to open up the playbook when he knows his QB struggles making the right reads and that QB doesnt spend the extra time in the film room preparing.

Could very well be true. If that is indeed the case, I'd have benched Litton last year and started Morrell or Gaines the remainder of the season, losses or not. The team may have performed better as well. We'll never know.

Glad that CL has found new dedication to his position and this team. He needs to be a leader and show maturity.

Reactions: cottrell75
This isn't pee wee football.
agreed it is not. But the genius in anything is not making things complicated, genius is in simplifying things. didn't we learn anything from Apple?

or as Woody put it, “Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple.”

Last edited:
If a QB is not dedicated to learning the offense then they shouldn't have a scholarship. That is like saying a safety isn't concerned about covering the back end of the defense or a corner isn't concerned about the passing game. I would rather play in the wildcat 100% of the time with no QB then play with one who isn't dedicated to learning the offense.

Having a QB who is not dedicated to learning the offense doesn't stop you from installing a new running play. There is no read for the QB in that situation.

I agree 100%.

While I wouldn't put Legg on any level of genius, I honestly believe his playcalling is not bad at all.
I think Litton made situations for himself much worse than they could have been had he been more level headed.
He often threw passes that looked forced to WR's, mostly Michael Clark...
The year before, he was not afraid to take off, last year, he hardly ever did, even when there were wide open holes, I saw sooo many opportunities to get us out of a jam.
I imagine Legg's offense is designed for the QB to make choices and run if the situation presents itself.
Litton didn't do that hardly at all after Akron, with a weak OL, he would have had to. Had he ran at times, it would have forced defenses to change schemes. Thats what made Cato so good, because he took off when the play allowed him to. Litton simply by not running and disallowing that option, wrote off 1/3 of the plays Legg had for him.
Again, Legg is not a genius by any means, but Litton certainly could have made better choices. This was year 2 for him also, which means Legg and the offense would have trusted him more.

Exactly, All4TheHerd. I guess we should substitute "not afraid to run" for dedicated in this discussion of our QB. Without the willingness of our QB to run we cannot, therefore, say that we have a "read option offense". Without the threat of the QB to run often enough our offensive efficiency was hampered and defending the Herd was easier for opposing D coordinators. I remember one particular play: in a loss against the North Texas Eagles, Chase pulled the ball down, tucked it and ran untouched for a 7 yard TD. Just did not happen nearly often enough in 2016!!

I agree 100%.

While I wouldn't put Legg on any level of genius, I honestly believe his playcalling is not bad at all.
I think Litton made situations for himself much worse than they could have been had he been more level headed.
He often threw passes that looked forced to WR's, mostly Michael Clark...
The year before, he was not afraid to take off, last year, he hardly ever did, even when there were wide open holes, I saw sooo many opportunities to get us out of a jam.
I imagine Legg's offense is designed for the QB to make choices and run if the situation presents itself.
Litton didn't do that hardly at all after Akron, with a weak OL, he would have had to. Had he ran at times, it would have forced defenses to change schemes. Thats what made Cato so good, because he took off when the play allowed him to. Litton simply by not running and disallowing that option, wrote off 1/3 of the plays Legg had for him.
Again, Legg is not a genius by any means, but Litton certainly could have made better choices. This was year 2 for him also, which means Legg and the offense would have trusted him more.
we may be better because Litton may or has improved but if you think Leggs play calling was not bad last year then you are an idiot. I am not a football person but am smart enough to predict 85% of the play calls by what happened the play before, the down and distance ,and the formation. For example if we have an incomplete pass on first down then 99% of the time we run the ball on second down. If i can do this then i know our opponents know what is coming. Legg sucks as a play caller

Reactions: Herd Fever
By the end of last season I seriously doubt any opponent had anything to fear from the Herd offense because there was none and Doc should be ashamed for keeping his old buddy on staff. JMO

we may be better because Litton may or has improved but if you think Leggs play calling was not bad last year then you are an idiot. I am not a football person but am smart enough to predict 85% of the play calls by what happened the play before, the down and distance ,and the formation. For example if we have an incomplete pass on first down then 99% of the time we run the ball on second down. If i can do this then i know our opponents know what is coming. Legg sucks as a play caller
Which run?
Inside?
Outside?
Left side?
Right side?
Are you willing to put 10 up on the LOS, because you know they will run?

Last edited:

So, because you can predict either a run or a pass, makes you smart? Geez, I wonder why you aren't coaching with such stellar skills like, "Run" or "Pass."
Litton was a big part of why the offense did not work. It obviously HAS worked in the past or else Cato wouldn't have broken all the records here. Oh, and before you start saying, "Well, Cato was smart and ran the offense himself, Legg called a dumb play and Cato made it into something, which is why we did well" yeah, he didn't exactly thrive in Canada or anywhere else when the coaching was supposedly better.
As I have said before (which you'll ignore) Litton made the offense suck by failing to give himself the option to run. By doing that, which the offense was designed to give him the opportunity to do, he would pass, and often times, force said pass into a WR who was covered often. That, and the OL didn't help either...no OC in the word is gonna do well without a solid OL. Legg is no genius by any means but he is not the worst out there.

So, because you can predict either a run or a pass, makes you smart? Geez, I wonder why you aren't coaching with such stellar skills like, "Run" or "Pass."
Litton was a big part of why the offense did not work. It obviously HAS worked in the past or else Cato wouldn't have broken all the records here. Oh, and before you start saying, "Well, Cato was smart and ran the offense himself, Legg called a dumb play and Cato made it into something, which is why we did well" yeah, he didn't exactly thrive in Canada or anywhere else when the coaching was supposedly better.
As I have said before (which you'll ignore) Litton made the offense suck by failing to give himself the option to run. By doing that, which the offense was designed to give him the opportunity to do, he would pass, and often times, force said pass into a WR who was covered often. That, and the OL didn't help either...no OC in the word is gonna do well without a solid OL. Legg is no genius by any means but he is not the worst out there.

And this all comes down to the basics of management and accountability of managers. Legg was the QB coach AND offensive coordinator. If Litton sucked, then either he didn't do his job in preparing Litton or he should have benched him early on and developed a different QB. What's that you say? There was no other QB to be developed? Well then that's on Doc and whoever helps him recruit.

Litton has his problems, but so does Legg. Cato broke records against some of the worst teams in college football. I'm not taking away from what he accomplished, but Legg has the onus to recognize the strengths/weaknesses of his players and adjust accordingly. I truly don't think he is capable of doing this, so that makes him inept at his job. Stop trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole. Legg is a one-trick pony and Doc is only marginally better. The two do not make the great combo he (Doc) thinks.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
All4TheHerd posted "Legg is no genius by any means but he is not the worst out there." Dear lord who, All4TheHerd is worse than Legg? Name some. I agree "Legg is no genius." Anyone who watched last year could come up with at least two or three plays and not just one.

And this all comes down to the basics of management and accountability of managers. Legg was the QB coach AND offensive coordinator. If Litton sucked, then either he didn't do his job in preparing Litton or he should have benched him early on and developed a different QB. What's that you say? There was no other QB to be developed? Well then that's on Doc and whoever helps him recruit.

Litton has his problems, but so does Legg. Cato broke records against some of the worst teams in college football. I'm not taking away from what he accomplished, but Legg has the onus to recognize the strengths/weaknesses of his players and adjust accordingly. I truly don't think he is capable of doing this, so that makes him inept at his job. Stop trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole. Legg is a one-trick pony and Doc is only marginally better. The two do not make the great combo he (Doc) thinks.

Well by saying the worst competition, you did take away from Cato's accomplishments. Good one.
You really think it is as simple as subbing one guy out and putting another one in? It doesn't work that way in college...if a QB has a bad game, he has a bad game...he is sulposed to experience that, even a losing season. Oregon, Michigan State, and Notre Dame had the same records...if we choose records alone, their OC's are also pretty bad, as bad as Legg.
Also, I believe Litton's stats actually went up even though he had a pretty bad 2016...so obviously he IS developing.
Anyways, this topic and perspective is lost on you. I won't say "Bill Legg" anymore so as to not trigger you, snowflake.

But if we happen to have a good season, will you actually admit that 2016 was an anomaly?

Well by saying the worst competition, you did take away from Cato's accomplishments. Good one.

Sorry Bro, it is what it is. Our SOS was one of the worst in all of I-A football in each of those stellar seasons. I loved watching Cato play, and I think by his final season, he was even better than his stats suggested, but unfortunately he didn't get to prove it the whole season.

You really think it is as simple as subbing one guy out and putting another one in? It doesn't work that way in college...if a QB has a bad game, he has a bad game...he is sulposed to experience that,

I'm sorry...what is sulposed? Anyway, the subbing one guy out thing would/should have been done in the off-season. Litton experienced a HUGE decline in performance early in the season. I don't blame the whole season on him, as multiple other players failed to produce as well, but again they should have been evaluating this and making changes as needed.

BTW, you make the statement of "a bad game." Are even serious right now? 3-9 is not "a bad game."

even a losing season. Oregon, Michigan State, and Notre Dame had the same records

apples to bananas comparison. We are nowhere near the level of those programs, nor do we play a schedule near their SOS.

...if we choose records alone, their OC's are also pretty bad, as bad as Legg.
Also, I believe Litton's stats actually went up even though he had a pretty bad 2016...so obviously he IS developing.

WAS developing. If you can't see that, then there's no hope for you.

Anyways, this topic and perspective is lost on you. I won't say "Bill Legg" anymore so as to not trigger you, snowflake.

You use a term like "snowflake" for someone who is a staunch conservative....mmmkay. Come over to Pullman board if you don't believe me.

But if we happen to have a good season, will you actually admit that 2016 was an anomaly?

An anomaly would be Litton was lighting the sky on fire in terms of QB production, but then had a freakish accident riding a Vespa, which caused us to lose him for the season. 2016 record was earned through lack of effort on behalf of players and coaches. At the end of the day, the coaches bear the ultimate burden of responsibility for the team's success or lack thereof.

Sorry Bro, it is what it is. Our SOS was one of the worst in all of I-A football in each of those stellar seasons. I loved watching Cato play, and I think by his final season, he was even better than his stats suggested, but unfortunately he didn't get to prove it the whole season.

I'm sorry...what is sulposed? Anyway, the subbing one guy out thing would/should have been done in the off-season. Litton experienced a HUGE decline in performance early in the season. I don't blame the whole season on him, as multiple other players failed to produce as well, but again they should have been evaluating this and making changes as needed.

BTW, you make the statement of "a bad game." Are even serious right now? 3-9 is not "a bad game."

apples to bananas comparison. We are nowhere near the level of those programs, nor do we play a schedule near their SOS.

WAS developing. If you can't see that, then there's no hope for you.

You use a term like "snowflake" for someone who is a staunch conservative....mmmkay. Come over to Pullman board if you don't believe me.

An anomaly would be Litton was lighting the sky on fire in terms of QB production, but then had a freakish accident riding a Vespa, which caused us to lose him for the season. 2016 record was earned through lack of effort on behalf of players and coaches. At the end of the day, the coaches bear the ultimate burden of responsibility for the team's success or lack thereof.

So which is it then? Cato actually sucks? Its funny how you suddenly condemn the same person you praised just to make a point.
Sorry Flaky, I could care less about your political ideologies.

Congrats, I had a spelling mistake. If your pointing out of a spelling error strokes your ego, go for it. There are plenty on here from everyone.

A whole year can be an anomaly. Litton needed the season to try to make things better. He obviously failed but I will give the coaches credit for allowing him the opportunity to try and right the ship. Now he appears to have changed his attitude, how it ends up remains to be seen.
I believe he was on the chopping block to not start since he has Gaines behind him...however, he has done enough to get the starting spot back.
MSU, Oregon, or ND would call it that if they won 10 games in 2017. Also, all of those schools have enough resources to stay ahead of their counterparts, I'd say we have enough to stay in the upper tier of our conference, so its not apples to bananas...if they were what they believe they should be, they shouldn't be losing...at all, ever.

Its sad to say that the sack on Litton against Akron basically turned the tide on his season. He didn't run when he should have, which made the playbook even narrower, he didn't have an OL to block for hin, his attitude off the field was horrendous, and overall he just wasn't what he should be.
I hate how Marshall tends to have disaster lasting longer than it should on one play, but it happens. Many good schools can brush off a bad play and disallow it to have an impact, Marshall can do this, but it'll be a while.

I hope he has changed for the better, but we'll see.

Good day to ya.

^^Another Marshall "Supafan" post above^^

You're right man, 3-9 was just a huge misunderstanding.

Also, Litton should have been a dark horse for the Heisman last year, but it's not his fault he stared down receivers, threw passes way too high, went to Clark way too many times to bail him out for his throws 10' above the ground at the point the ball is to be caught.

ADVERTISEMENT