ADVERTISEMENT

Racial Tension in New York City During Civil War

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Remember a few weeks ago when some of you got on me for saying this about the civil war?

Straight from history gentlemen.

A mob of about 500 armed men subsequently set fire to about 50 buildings, including the Colored Orphan Asylum which housed over 230 children. Included in this mob were volunteer firemen ... The riots picked up in intensity for four days and wreaked havoc on the black population and on downtown structures, including businesses contributing to wartime production, burning many to the ground.

This terrifying act of violence was not just a response to the draft, but was also tied to fear of the outcome of the war for working-class whites. The Emancipation Proclamation had come into effect at the beginning of 1863, writes Harris, and carried with it the potential that after the war, free black people might be competing for jobs with working-class whites.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...s-brought-terror-new-yorks-streets-180964905/

And still does.

Of course it does, I’ve seen several dozen rebel flags flying around on back of trucks, on houses, bumper stickers while living in the north. But the way it’s done here is through property taxes and school systems. There is a reason most northern states don’t have county school systems and are independent. Higher taxes equal better schools, with higher taxes comes higher home prices, etc, etc.

Of course it does, I’ve seen several dozen rebel flags flying around on back of trucks, on houses, bumper stickers while living in the north. But the way it’s done here is through property taxes and school systems. There is a reason most northern states don’t have county school systems and are independent. Higher taxes equal better schools, with higher taxes comes higher home prices, etc, etc.
That always struck me as odd Marine. I lived in Charlotte for 7 years and heard about Yankees etc. However, when I moved to Ohio I have always been amazed to see the sons of Yankees fly the flag of rebels who shot and killed their great grandparents. And then people say that it is not a racial symbol. How else does one explain someone from Ohio or Pa flying it? Don't see many flags of the nations that we have fought on the tshirts of folks.

Reactions: Marine03
That always struck me as odd Marine. I lived in Charlotte for 7 years and heard about Yankees etc. However, when I moved to Ohio I have always been amazed to see the sons of Yankees fly the flag of rebels who shot and killed their great grandparents. And then people say that it is not a racial symbol. How else does one explain someone from Ohio or Pa flying it? Don't see many flags of the nations that we have fought on the tshirts of folks.
Because the racist, like from Ohio, used the flag for their own symbol and agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT