ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Moss didn’t even mention Marshall University. That is a slap in the face.

I don’t all of a sudden dislike Moss or not appreciate his speech or his career. I was just astounded that his speech of overcoming the odds and making it didn’t even mention Coach P or his Alma Mater. Still think his #88 should be retired and still happy to have enjoyed his career.

Hahaha had a bet with a buddy about how many Marshall fans would be upset that Moss didn’t mention us enough. Glad I took the over.

At the end of the day, everyone knows he’s from Marshall and he represents the university and our state extremely well.

Think of it this way:
Would you rather have someone like Moss representing himself and our state/university the way he does... but not mention his former school in one speech

—or—

Have someone like TO, representing himself the way he does, and having his “induction” ceremony AT his former school?

I for one, would rather have Moss.

ATO I’m not surprised. I mean look at the interview he did this week. He basically said his time at Marshall was ok but he dealt with a lot of racism while he was here. So the week of his HOF induction he includes Marshall in a talk about the racism he has endured while he was here and then not even a mention of MU during his speech. Obviously Randy doesn’t give two craps about Marshall. The sooner we realize that the less we will be disappointed.

Are we not in WV? Are not West Virginians? He thanked the whole state.

Remember he said he had a big announcement coming with Marshall. He does a lot we never hear about.

Man we have some insecure fans.

He spent most of the time praising God and his family. I'll continue to be proud of Randy Moss and proud he played here.

Also all this "Marshall made Randy" crap is just that. Garbage. Randy Moss put Marshall on the national stage.

Got news for you. Randy Moss could have went to Directional Prairie View A&M State Tech College in Buford and still played in the NFL.

Randy Moss brought attention and eyeballs to Marshall that we would have never gotten.

Booo hooo just be happy we all were blessed with his greatness in Huntington .....!! Probably the best Marshall football player we will ever see!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
To hold an autograph session in Charleston rather than Huntington on the Herd’s Fan Day is classless.
Make sure you get your facts straight, Doc! Rand, not the Capital city. You know, the little unincorporated town where he grew up ? He has always given props to Rand as part of his story.

To hold an autograph session in Charleston rather than Huntington on the Herd’s Fan Day is classless.
Make sure you get your facts straight, Doc! Rand, not the Capital city. You know, the little unincorporated town where he grew up ? He has always given props to Rand as part of his story.

Apparently you didn’t know the Town Center is the mall in Charleston. Not Rand...

I’m disappointed that he didn’t mention Marshall (or at least Chad Pennington or Bob Pruett) but at the end of the day, he does good work in the state and he did say something was coming to Huntington next year.

I have heard rumors that Hamrick was trying to mend this relationship and get Randy back on campus and closer with the football program. If not, this is the opportunity to do so.

If all the haters take over, it just validates his reasoning not to mention Marshall.

Last night was the first time I have ever watched the HOF induction ceremony. I am still proud of Randy and all that he has accomplished.

Hahaha had a bet with a buddy about how many Marshall fans would be upset that Moss didn’t mention us enough. Glad I took the over.

At the end of the day, everyone knows he’s from Marshall and he represents the university and our state extremely well.

Think of it this way:
Would you rather have someone like Moss representing himself and our state/university the way he does... but not mention his former school in one speech

—or—

Have someone like TO, representing himself the way he does, and having his “induction” ceremony AT his former school?

I for one, would rather have Moss.

I’m not “upset” so your bet sucks. Also I don’t want to play the game and pick either choice A or choice B. That game sucks too. I was just amazed that Marshall wasn’t part of his story and
we were not prioritized. As I said above still love his story and I appreciated his speech and he deserves his #88 retired. His story was just lacking a key point that yea we all know happened but wasn’t a knowledged at the pinnacle of his football career.

Not the end of the world but still telling in more than just my eyes. I hope Randy understands there are many of us out there that appreciate not only his athletic accomplishments but also his off the field things he’s done and continues to do for the state and a large section of us are connected to him through Marshall. If I wasn’t a fellow alumni he’d be just another person from WV and while his story would be cool I wouldn’t care less overall.

What part of Professional Football HOF do you not understand?

IIRC, the speeches of every inductee are on the PFHOF website, if someone want to read them all for college snubs, have at it.

There is a college HOF in, IIRC, South Bend.

Stop it people... we have TWO NFL Hall of Famers in our school's history. Celebrate the moment and stop commiserating about bruised egos because in a 5 minute speech he didnt praise All-mighty Marshall. I love Marshall - when I receive "teacher of the year" or "administrator of the year" awards - I didnt mention Marshall University. I mentioned those in my PROFESSIONAL and PERSONAL life (not my collegiate life). Randy didnt personally mention a LOT of people or organizations in his speech. He mentioned West Virginia multiple times. He grew up in the Charleston area - it makes sense to "bring the gold jacket to Towne Center"... I'm sure it will make its way to Marshall University in good time. CONGRATULATIONS RANDY!!!!! We're DAMN proud of you!!!

It’s ok W-S. We ALL blunder on here occasionally but I do have to say I laughed at the thought of the Towne Center Mall being in Rand.

Dear God, you can't be serious. Randy Moss is a big time celebrity. He is from the Charleston area. He might be busy. Classless? Really?

Are Marshall fans that really that insecure? So he should drive to Huntington, an hour away, because it was Herd Fans Day or whatever?

I won salesman of the year. When I got the $4 plaque and Outback gift card, I didn't stand there at the annual sales meeting giving thanks and praise to my time at Marshall and thankful for the opportunity they gave me to walk down the sacred halls of Corbly Hall.

I hope you guys are not pissed.

The greatest adversity Moss faced growing up was his own reactions to a life without consequence.

He was gifted with phenomenal physical assets, which made him a star football player the likes of which few had seen, and as a result very little was asked of him off of the football field, and he was protected from the consequences of his own actions at every turn.

At the same time, despite his physical gifts, he was extremely scrawny, so his mouth often times got his body in a tremendous amount of trouble, and many of the people who served his comeuppance were white, so sure, racism.

I thought him sharing the stage with Ray Lewis was a fascinating coda for the era of athletes being beyond reproach. Lewis being honored with a coat was the universe's absurdist comedy at its best, but in Moss' case, I'm not sure in 2018 you can throw boiling water at your child's mother and just have your HBC talk to the judge and make it go away.

But then again, Jameis Winston. Nevermind. Congratulations, Randy, you finally made it.

The greatest adversity Moss faced growing up was his own reactions to a life without consequence.

The greatest adversity Moss faced was that he had talents far beyond WVU's mid-major ( " the Big East was not major college football" - Oliver Luck, then-WVU AD) program and aspired for true major status. The delusional WVU non-alumni fan base never forgave him for that, and (now disgraced) Kanawha County prosecutor Bill Forbes, pandered to that crowd and in the ONLY high school fight EVER prosecuted in the county in living memory, set him on a path to destroy his dream. Eighteen months later Forbes was disgraced for his role in covering up a DEATH at the Rich White Landlords of Charleston's (GW) high school. Black kid gets in a fight at DuPont, there is photo Bill. Death at GW, cover that up. Various things followed which led him to Marshall, which that crowd never forgave him for either.

Then came the NFL draft and the Big Media, led by ESPN, talking heads wanted to make his "character" an issue and his playing at a I-AA/mid-major and issue and throughout his career under rated his HOF level performance. Because the talking heads never admit they were wrong.

Congratulations, Randy Moss. Go Herd.

I don’t all of a sudden dislike Moss or not appreciate his speech or his career. I was just astounded that his speech of overcoming the odds and making it didn’t even mention Coach P or his Alma Mater. Still think his #88 should be retired and still happy to have enjoyed his career.

I agree MU ATO
...I was expecting and on the edge of my seat waiting for some mention of MARSHALL. I felt his speech exhibited an "angry mode." He has a right to be pissed at the media....who does not feel anger at media today!

Correct me if I'm wrong....you have to graduate from Marshall to have your jersey # retired.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Eh, Randy gives credit to Marshall all the time.
I also feel like it’s not that big a deal because he’s going into the NFL Hall of Fame, not the college.

I disagree Celt.
...all the other guys ALWAYS in their Hall of Fame speeches recognize the college they played for and usually mention some coaches along the way.....No excuse for Randy pissing on Marshall Saturday night.

Congrats RANDY...you earned your place in Canton and your two years in Huntington were GREAT for HERD fans.....Nothing More---Nothing Less.

Zilla22

Last edited:

GREAT point FballMD.......a slap in Marshall's face...and since Randy resides in Charlotte we have spoken a few times. Inside info. When son Tad was a rising HS senior---- Randy asked our Head football coach (Charlotte Christian)..."I will help you coach if you will take Tad from Charlotte Victory Christian." Our head coaches's answer..."Randy, I don't think that would be a good idea for both parties." Therefore, Tad completed his senior year at Victory Christian and headed to NC State. Now, I HERD he has departed NC State and is now enrolled at LSU. Would have been great to have Tad come to Huntington, Sept. 22.......

Zilla22

I won salesman of the year. When I got the $4 plaque and Outback gift card, I didn't stand there at the annual sales meeting giving thanks and praise to my time at Marshall and thankful for the opportunity they gave me to walk down the sacred halls of Corbly Hall.

I hope you guys are not pissed.

Did you also forget to give all the glory to God, like Ray Lewis?

GREAT point FballMD.......a slap in Marshall's face...and since Randy resides in Charlotte we have spoken a few times. Inside info. When son Tad was a rising HS senior---- Randy asked our Head football coach (Charlotte Christian)..."I will help you coach if you will take Tad from Charlotte Victory Christian." Our head coaches's answer..."Randy, I don't think that would be a good idea for both parties." Therefore, Tad completed his senior year at Victory Christian and headed to NC State. Now, I HERD he has departed NC State and is now enrolled at LSU. Would have been great to have Tad come to Huntington, Sept. 22.......

Zilla22

tenor.gif

I disagree Celt.
...all the other guys ALWAYS in their Hall of Fame speeches recognize the college they played for and usually mention some coaches along the way.....No excuse for Randy pissing on Marshall Saturday night.

Congrats RANDY...you earned your place in Canton and your two years in Huntington were GREAT for HERD fans.....Nothing More---Nothing Less.

Zilla22

I've watched a lot of the speeches and very few mention their colleges or coaches. While he's at it, he didn't mention his coach at Dupont or little league. Please. He's under no obligation to mention Marshall at a Pro Football Hall of Fame induction. The fact that he had Mark Gale, Chad, John Wade and others in attendance signifies the importance of his career at Marshall.

I disagree Celt.

Zilla22
Gary - I am surprised you would use one of the 2 most powerful words in the English language to cover all (how many?) 300 individuals enshrined in Canton. So, you have personally gone on line & read every word of every acceptance speech? Wow - I am impressed. How did you find the time?
The only time you should use the words always & never: Not very many:
You always die. I never sleep at night. The Sun always rises in the east & sets in the west......Marshall never should have hired Kayo Marcum as AD......I think I have made my point.

I've watched a lot of the speeches and very few mention their colleges or coaches. While he's at it, he didn't mention his coach at Dupont or little league. Please. He's under no obligation to mention Marshall at a Pro Football Hall of Fame induction. The fact that he had Mark Gale, Chad, John Wade and others in attendance signifies the importance of his career at Marshall.

dc - agree 1000% ! Coach Pruett was there as well. I did think it was cool that when he asked anyone who has ever been a teammate, a Coach, trainer, etc. to stand up, the camera goes to a close up of Chad. Teammate @ Marshall! Also, the "Lincoln county loves Randy" sign was awesome. My Mom was born in the little spot called Midkiff...
Go HERD !!!! Moss & Marshall - just wait until next summer..........I doubt we will have many (but, of COURSE there will be a few) castigating Randy Moss after that launches..

I'm not sure if Gunner Gatski finished at Marshall. He was a frosh in 1940, then played varsity 1941-42. He went off to war before his senior season and hit the Normandy beaches on D-Day. Right after he came out of Army in 1945 down in the southern US, he played a couple of games at Auburn before they realized Gunner still had eligibility (this history has been written many times, so I hope it is correct). He was then a Cleveland Brown from 1946-49, in the All-American Football Conference (winning all four titles and having an undefeated season in 1948), then jumped to the NFL with Paul Brown (as well as the San Francisco 49ers and original Baltimore Colts), and played in six more title games and won three more titles. He played for the Detroit Lions in 1957, beating his former team in the NFL Championship -- let's see, 12 years of pro ball, 11 championship games, and 8 championships. He was a scout for the Boston Patriots in 1958, as the AFL was getting cranked up, but finished his career as the Head Coach for football and other sports at the Prunytown (WV) Industrial School for Boys - kind of a jail for kids who were robbing or other such crimes as teenagers or younger. Gatski had his teams jump off a 20' cliff every fall to "toughen them up," and after some boys tried to sneak off at halftime in a game so Gatski would practice throughout the halftime period. It closed in the late 1982 and he finished his life hunting and fishing - he went into the NFL HOF 1985 with Joe Nameth, Roger Staubach, OJ Simson and NFL Commish Pete Rozell. Herd retired his No. 72 in 2005 and in 2006 the East End Bridge in Huntington (going to Proctorville, Ohio) was named for Gatski. So not sure if he came back some time and finished his degree. I think, yes, Randy's #88 should be retired but what do you do about College Hall of Fame inductees? Cy Young probably did not have a number in 1910-11, but there is Troy Brown's #8, Michael Payton is #14, Mike Barber is #28 and Jackie Hunt's #75? I would like to see them all honored with their number on a plaque, banner or statue in the stadium, not retired, and with rosters expanded to 110 now, there are a lot more players to wear 1-99.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT