ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking all 80 college football bowl quarterbacks by their NFL draft potential

i

71. Isaiah Green, Marshall Thundering Herd
Year: Sophomore

A passing grade below 70.0 is pretty much a death knell for us, especially if it comes against C-USA competition. With a 66.2 passing grade this year and three games with under 100 passing yards, Green isn't on the radar.

Bowl matchup: UCF in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

i

72. Jaylon Henderson, Boise State Broncos
Year: Senior

Henderson was the Broncos' third-string QB but was thrust into action late in the season. He's adequate for a backup but is no pro prospect.

Bowl matchup: Washington in the Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl

play
0:52
Henderson lets it fly to Shakir for a 36-yard TD
Jaylon Henderson goes deep and connects with Khalil Shakir for a 36-yard Boise State touchdown.

i

73. Shai Werts, Georgia Southern Eagles
Year: Junior

Georgia Southern is an option team at heart, and as such Werts is more running back than quarterback.

Bowl matchup: Liberty in the FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl

i

74. Dan Ellington, Georgia State Panthers

Ellington is another signal-caller who gets the nod at Georgia State for his running ability and not his arm. He has a 34.4 passing grade under pressure and 55.2 passing grade vs. the blitz this season.

Bowl matchup: Wyoming in the Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

i

75. Dennis Grosel, Boston College Eagles

There is a reason BC let AJ Dillon lead the nation in rushing attempts. Grosel has a 63.0 passing grade and a sub-50 completion percentage.

Bowl matchup: Cincinnati in the TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl

i

76. Malcolm Perry, Navy Midshipmen

Perry has proved excellent as an option quarterback. That has almost zero projection to the position in the NFL, though, and his 63.2 passing grade tells you all you need to know.

Bowl matchup: vs. Kansas State in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl

i

77. Justin McMillan, Tulane Green Wave

McMillan's 56.0 passing grade is one of the lowest of any bowl QB this year. Only 6.8% of targets past the line have been charted as perfectly placed, 125th among 137 qualifying QBs.

Bowl matchup: Southern Miss in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl

i

78. Sean Chambers, Wyoming Cowboys

Chambers is no Josh Allen. His 51.7 passing grade is the worst among bowl QBs. He also ranks 133rd out of 137 with only 37% of his passes beyond the line of scrimmage deemed accurate.

Bowl matchup: Georgia State in the Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

i

79. Felix Harper, Alcorn State Braves

Harper is just 5-foot-11, but he runs the Braves' offense well, as he has 34 total touchdowns this season. There's very little to his pro projection, but he is a fun college quarterback to watch.

Bowl matchup: North Carolina A&T in the Celebration Bowl

i

80. Kylil Carter, North Carolina A&T Aggies

Carter is completing only 53.8% of his passes and has finished three games with a completion percentage under 50%. He is talented as a rusher, but at 5-foot-10 and 230 pounds, he is not an NFL prospect.

Bowl matchup: Alcorn State in the Celebration Bowl

General information. Interesting on how they see all 80 QB's. Trevor Lawrence is #1.
not sure why they have him ranked over Burrow. Burrow can start right now for several NFL teams including the Bengals to whom he will be drafted IMO.

not sure why they have him ranked over Burrow. Burrow can start right now for several NFL teams including the Bengals to whom he will be drafted IMO.
1. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson Tigers

It's difficult to go against the man who has yet to lose a college football game. Lawrence might not be playing at the level Burrow is now, but on the other hand, we've never seen anyone play at the level Lawrence has in his freshman and sophomore seasons. There's really not a single thing about the position he can't do at a high level, as indicated by his 90.7 grade last season and 91.5 this season. He'll be in contention to be the No. 1 overall pick in 2021.

Bowl matchup: Ohio State in the Playstation Fiesta Bowl

i

2. Joe Burrow, LSU Tigers

There's no shame in finishing runner-up to the golden boy from Clemson. Burrow doesn't have a big arm like Lawrence, but he has accuracy the likes of which we've never seen. He has been accurate on 72.3% of his passes targeted beyond the line of scrimmage this season. Second place is 65.8%.

Bowl matchup: Oklahoma in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl

i

3. Justin Fields, Ohio State Buckeyes

Fields is one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks we've graded since Cam Newton. He ranks third in the nation in accuracy on passes 10-plus yards downfield. In the run game, he's a battering ram who can run a sub-4.6 40-yard dash at 220 pounds. While he has thrown only one pick, fumbles have been a problem for Fields, as he has 11 on the season. He could compete with Lawrence to be the top QB in the 2021 class.

Bowl matchup: Clemson in the Playstation Fiesta Bowl

i

4. Justin Herbert, Oregon Ducks

Arm talent talks when it comes to the NFL, and no one has more of it in college football than Herbert. While he plays in a horizontal, screen-based offense that doesn't suit his talents, he still never quite had a dominant outing against a real defense. That makes him a big projection to the NFL. Herbert, however, could be a top-15 pick in April.

Bowl matchup: Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl presented by Northwestern Mutual

i

5. Jake Fromm, Georgia Bulldogs

Fromm's quick decision-making, risk aversion and command of the Georgia offense all make him a coach's dream. He has made only six turnover-worthy plays this season on 410 dropbacks. The worry, however, is that with his limited arm and the fact that he hails from a run-heavy offense, he is never going to be much more than a game manager at the next level. Fromm could enter the 2020 draft, or he could return to play for the Bulldogs for another season.

Bowl matchup: Baylor in the Allstate Sugar Bowl

11. Dillon Gabriel, UCF Knights
Year: Freshman

Gabriel is the highest-graded true freshman quarterback in the country this season. He has shown uncanny decision-making for a freshman, with only seven turnover-worthy plays. His long release and a UCF offense that saw almost all of his downfield targets be "go" balls will be points of concern going forward.

Bowl matchup: Marshall in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Shocked that Green wasn’t 80. I like the kid but he has some improving to do.

The Boise QB is their third starter this year due to injuries.

I get it ,just my view he is a hometown hs kid I watched play while he was growing up here in athens
I love watching Burrow play, too. Just saying that Lawrence is a mega-prospect on the NFL level and would likely go #1 over Burrow if he were eligible for the 2020 draft.

I think both will end up being very good, maybe even elite.

Reactions: ohio herd
It takes into account the fact that he’s only a sophomore and the sky is the limit for him. It will be interesting to see how Lawrence fairs in a couple of weeks against OSU. The guy is really good, no doubt about it. I would give Burrow the edge at this point in time simply based off of the teams LSU has played this year. Burrow has lit them all up. It’s been a while since I’ve seen someone with the natural instinct and abilities Burrow shows. You can’t teach the intangibles he has. He is on another level in my opinion. Like you said, he could play in the NFL tomorrow. He reminds me a lot of Peyton.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT