ADVERTISEMENT

Reclaiming the American University

Mar 24, 2017
The institutionalization of leftist ideology in the universities has had a deleterious effect on all aspects of American culture as it's disseminated through the body politic and culture at large. It is a beast that crushes dissenters and makes an example of them to any who would dare to follow in their foolish path.

It is now evident that criticism of these trends is not enough: the bureaucratic culture of the university is resolutely committed to enforcing intellectual conformity, and the administration is all too willing to cave to pressure from the loudest, most belligerently political factions of the student body and faculty. For university representatives concerned about the future prospects of our universities, there remains only one mode of resistance: personal non-compliance with the policies and procedures that have reinvented our institutions as communes for dogmatic groupthink.

Pay attention to who cries the loudest over this.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I'll take the boards silence as confirmation that the author is correct and you guys are too ashamed to respond.

I didn't read the article.

Higher ed is a mess. Outrageous costs, infiltration of critical theory into STEM, tons of rent seeking from admins and some professors. Professors/teachers aren't paid more than they were before, but costs are skyrocketing. It's an arms race for facilities and an embedded growth obligation to grow enrollment because you can get guaranteed student loans for all.

I don't know the exact solution, but probably something like the Lambda School model where the college has skin in the game for what their graduates do. A no frills stripped down campus with serious commitment to teachers and students without luxury dorms and facilities to keep costs low should be the norm, not the exception. We should quit bundling teaching services with that of lab funding, because many researchers have zero desire to teach and frankly they're often not good at it. Quit funding everyones lab and start super-funding the truly remarkable (see Pareto distributions) and don't make those people teach if they don't want to.

The current model is unsustainable in terms of cost and discourse. We've got a literal terrorist speaking for a campus event at SFSU and yet reasonable people like Christina Hoff Sommers get run off of campus. Riots break out when Ben Shapiro comes to visit.

/end rant

We've got a literal terrorist speaking for a campus event at SFSU and yet reasonable people like Christina Hoff Sommers get run off of campus. Riots break out when Ben Shapiro comes to visit.

I'm not sure it is an issue to have a 76 year old woman who took part in two terrorist acts (she was non-violent) when she was 16 and 17 years old speak. I would find it extremely interesting to hear her stories and views.

On the other hand, Sommers frequently criticizes things like rape culture, the modern feminist movement, and makes some rather controversial comments to say the least.

I didn’t even touch on academic freedom either. McWhorter better outlines it here

It’s unfortunate because some of the best thinkers right now are leaving the academy and/or downplaying it’s imortance . Taleb , Weinstein, etc.

So let them both speak.

Where was she not allowed to speak where people wanted her to? An institution isn't to blame if protestors yell over her any more than Humpty is to blame for protestors yelling at his rallies.

Where was she not allowed to speak where people wanted her to? An institution isn't to blame if protestors yell over her any more than Humpty is to blame for protestors yelling at his rallies.

I think the culture on college campuses has missed the mark if protestors come yell at you to where you can’t finish your lecture because you think modern feminism has problems.

I think the culture on college campuses has missed the mark if protestors come yell at you to where you can’t finish your lecture because you think modern feminism has problems.

I disagree. She has advocated a "separate but equal" belief when it comes to sexes. It wasn't accepted with race over time, and it doesn't appear that it will be accepted with sexes currently.

I disagree. She has advocated a "separate but equal" belief when it comes to sexes. It wasn't accepted with race over time, and it doesn't appear that it will be accepted with sexes currently.

So this speech is so dangerous it can’t be let to breath on campus ?

could you point me to her work that is this hateful? I’ve heard her on podcasts and she seems reasonable. I’ve heard her say sexes are equal but different.

So this speech is so dangerous it can’t be let to breath on campus ?

I believe you mean "breathe."

Again, you're blaming institutions for the activity of protestors. I'm not sure how you can pass the blame for that. The institutions aren't deciding that her words are so dangerous that they shouldn't be allowed to breathe (or perhaps, breath) on campus. The protestors are trying to make that decision. Don't like it? Outlaw protesting and change the Constitution.

Is her speech dangerous? No more than allowing people wanting racial segregation to speak on campus is dangerous. Let me know when you argue for racial segregationists to have a pulpit at Marshall and/or wvu.

Kick the protestors out and let her speak. They can protest outside.

Show me Sommers talk that is akin to segregation? Saying men and women are different isn’t that.

If you want segregation talk just look at the UM virtual cafes - they’re going to whites and BIPOC only.

Last edited:
Kick the protestors out and let her speak. They can protest outside.

And that happens. But when you have more protestors than people wanting to listen, it makes for a bad situation.

Show me Sommers talk that is akin to segregation? Saying men and women are different isn’t that.

"Separate but equal," as she has said, is segregation. She supports single-sex schools, not for the ability to avoid the distractions that raging hormones brings, but rather, because then boys can have "boy-friendly reading lists and activities." I could go on and on with her dangerous comments, thoughts, and why they are bad if you really want to discuss each of them.

In general, I think bad speech needs to be combatted with better ideas not suppressing speech. I don’t find her too dangerous. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

And that happens. But when you have more protestors than people wanting to listen, it makes for a bad situation.

"Separate but equal," as she has said, is segregation. She supports single-sex schools, not for the ability to avoid the distractions that raging hormones brings, but rather, because then boys can have "boy-friendly reading lists and activities." I could go on and on with her dangerous comments, thoughts, and why they are bad if you really want to discuss each of them.
Boys enjoy different things than girls. If the goal is to encourage reading then why not let them read something they enjoy instead of some bullshit novel about Japanese tea ceremonies

Boys enjoy different things than girls. If the goal is to encourage reading then why not let them read something they enjoy instead of some bullshit novel about Japanese tea ceremonies

No. Boys are groomed to like different things than girls from birth. They are spoken to differently, treated differently, and have different expectations of acceptable behavior right from the start.

The newborn boy has blue and sports balls put in his crib from day one. The girl has pink and stuffed animals put in her crib.

Those gender stereotypes lead to the male aggression, lead to the disparity in pay, lead to boys being groomed into things like engineering while girls are groomed elsewhere (one of Sommers’ flaws in a major argument of hers).

My older brother grew up wanting GI Joe figures and aircraft carriers, Star Wars toys, Civil War replicas, and toy guns. I wanted my nails painted, had long hair, had no interest in stereotypical male toys, and only ever asked for stuffed animals and sports equipment. I was allowed to choose what I liked and wasn’t pushed into any sort of gender stereotype. That’s not the case for most even if it’s done without that intent.

Last edited:
No. Boys are groomed to like different things than girls from birth. They are spoken to differently, treated differently, and have different expectations of acceptable behavior right from the start.

The newborn boy has blue and sports balls put in his crib from day one. The girl has pink and stuffed animals put in her crib.

Those gender stereotypes lead to the male aggression, lead to the disparity in pay, lead to boys being groomed into things like engineering while girls are groomed elsewhere (one of Sommers’ flaws in a major argument of hers).

My older brother grew up wanting GI Joe figures and aircraft carriers, Star Wars toys, Civil War replicas, and toy guns. I wanted my nails painted, had long hair, had no interest in stereotypical male toys, and only ever asked for stuff animals and sports equipment. I was allowed to choose what I liked and wasn’t pushed into any sort of gender stereotype. That’s not the case for most even if it’s done without that intent.
The pink/blue color pallet was reversed up until the early 1900s. Researchers have looked at toy preferences in male and female monkeys and found that male monkeys gravitate to trucks and female monkeys towards dolls. You are assuming that ALL gender differences are social constructs and that’s just not even remotely true. Both social cues and biology have an impact on how and what they play with and like

serious question rifle.Have you never seen students disrupt speakers like Ben Shapiro? I mean the climate on most campus today is all speech is tolerated except for non liberal speech. Personally, I am okay with speakers being allowed a forum and let people decide for themselves.As it now stands it is all left leaning the majority of the time.

The pink/blue color pallet was reversed up until the early 1900s. Researchers have looked at toy preferences in male and female monkeys and found that male monkeys gravitate to trucks and female monkeys towards dolls. You are assuming that ALL gender differences are social constructs and that’s just not even remotely true. Both social cues and biology have an impact on how and what they play with and like
I remember watching an episode of 60 Minutes many years ago dealing with this. They placed parents behind a mirror and watched their young kids play with other kids. It only took a few minutes and all of the girls were sipping tea and in a circle talking. The boys were shooting each other with toy guns and wrestling in the floor. The liberal parents were shocked their kids followed this pattern. Maybe a divine Creator called God designed us to have certain traits. That is why my Lab loves chasing the ball all day long and my weiner dog wants nothing to do with it. It does love to burrow under the blankets and hide.The lab says no thanks to that. Why? God created them for that purpose.

Reactions: William Bonney

My older brother grew up wanting GI Joe figures and aircraft carriers, Star Wars toys, Civil War replicas, and toy guns. I wanted my nails painted, had long hair, had no interest in stereotypical male toys, and only ever asked for stuff animals and sports equipment. I was allowed to choose what I liked and wasn’t pushed into any sort of gender stereotype. That’s not the case for most even if it’s done without that intent.
Well, that explains it.

• Haha
Reactions: WV-FAN
Researchers have looked at toy preferences in male and female monkeys and found that male monkeys gravitate to trucks and female monkeys towards dolls.

I would recommend people actually reading the research studies on their own and trying to use their brain to determine if it's a valid study or not. Let me tell you why the study you're referencing is complete garbage and has been dismissed by real science:

The study used a sample size of 34 monkeys. 34. You think a legitimate study in sociology would be accepted with a sample size of 34? Me neither. But it gets worse. The first study used two "girl toys" of a cooking pot and a doll. The neutral toys were a stuffed dog and a picture book.

Do you think monkeys know what the fvck a cooking pot is? If more girls went to the cooking pot, does that mean it's biological in nature for females to cook? The monkeys don't know what the fvck a cooking pot is. For the neutral toy, it was a stuffed dog. Don't you think a stuffed dog would resemble a little monkey, so if the females were more inclined to be maternal/caring in nature, wouldn't they gravitate more to that "neutral" toy?

It was an awful failure of a study.

You are assuming that ALL gender differences are social constructs and that’s just not even remotely true. Both social cues and biology have an impact on how and what they play with and like

I'm not assuming that at all. Nothing I have said would lead you to that assumption.

. Maybe a divine Creator called God designed us to have certain traits. That is why my Lab loves chasing the ball all day long and my weiner dog wants nothing to do with it. It does love to burrow under the blankets and hide.The lab says no thanks to that. Why? God created them for that purpose.

You're a nice guy, but you're an idiot. When you bring make believe into a discussion dealing with logic, you completely destroy the conversation.

serious question rifle.Have you never seen students disrupt speakers like Ben Shapiro? I mean the climate on most campus today is all speech is tolerated except for non liberal speech. Personally, I am okay with speakers being allowed a forum and let people decide for themselves.As it now stands it is all left leaning the majority of the time.

Sure. It happened at Central Florida yesterday. The dumb cvnt showed up there and yelled as much as she could with her bullshit. I have no problem with her doing that at a public university. Likewise, I have no problem with many more and much louder voices yelling back at her. She then got scared, hid in a campus bagel shop, and had her personal security start assaulting people who were yelling at her to leave. I do have a problem with that:

Do you think monkeys know what the fvck a cooking pot is?
soulfood21.jpg

I remember watching an episode of 60 Minutes many years ago dealing with this. They placed parents behind a mirror and watched their young kids play with other kids. It only took a few minutes and all of the girls were sipping tea and in a circle talking. The boys were shooting each other with toy guns and wrestling in the floor. The liberal parents were shocked their kids followed this pattern. Maybe a divine Creator called God designed us to have certain traits. That is why my Lab loves chasing the ball all day long and my weiner dog wants nothing to do with it. It does love to burrow under the blankets and hide.The lab says no thanks to Why? God created them for that purpose.
I would recommend people actually reading the research studies on their own and trying to use their brain to determine if it's a valid study or not. Let me tell you why the study you're referencing is complete garbage and has been dismissed by real science:

The study used a sample size of 34 monkeys. 34. You think a legitimate study in sociology would be accepted with a sample size of 34? Me neither. But it gets worse. The first study used two "girl toys" of a cooking pot and a doll. The neutral toys were a stuffed dog and a picture book.

Do you think monkeys know what the fvck a cooking pot is? If more girls went to the cooking pot, does that mean it's biological in nature for females to cook? The monkeys don't know what the fvck a cooking pot is. For the neutral toy, it was a stuffed dog. Don't you think a stuffed dog would resemble a little monkey, so if the females were more inclined to be maternal/caring in nature, wouldn't they gravitate more to that "neutral" toy?

I'm not assuming that at all. Nothing I have said would lead you to that assumption.

You're a nice guy, but you're an idiot. When you bring make believe into a discussion dealing with logic, you completely destroy the conversation.

Sure. It happened at Central Florida yesterday. The dumb cvnt showed up there and yelled as much as she could with her bullshit. I have no problem with her doing that at a public university. Likewise, I have no problem with many more and much louder voices yelling back at her. She then got scared, hid in a campus bagel shop, and had her personal security start assaulting people who were yelling at her to leave. I do have a problem with that:

well she is a media hound for sure. She came here( athens) and the same thing happened. In her case, she is certainly not a serious person of interest. I was thinking more along the lines of Ben and others like him. By the way i know of no conservative in my circle of friends that likes her, and certainly none of us listen to her.

Rifle small sample sizes are used to make decisions all the time. Just ask the big 10 and their 26 person study used to postpone the fall season.

ADVERTISEMENT