ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Remaining Marshall Football Start Times revealed; CUSA announces expansive ESPN agreement

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The start times and broadcast outlets for the eight remaining Marshall Football contests were announced Thursday by the Conference USA office.

The 2018 home opener will be on September 8 at 6:30 p.m. when the Thundering Herd hosts Eastern Kentucky in a contest that will air on ESPN+.

The Thundering Herd will open league play at WKU on September 29 in a game that will start at 7:30 p.m. ET/6:30 p.m. CT and will air on Stadium, the same network that will broadcast Marshall’s October 13 game at Old Dominion at 3:30 p.m.

Marshall’s October 20 home date with Florida Atlantic will be the first of four appearances on Facebook. The Thundering Herd will battle the C-USA defending champions at 2:30 p.m. in a contest that will also air on CBS Sports Network.

The November 3 road game at Southern Miss (3 p.m. ET/2 p.m. CT), November 17 home date with UTSA (2:30 p.m.) and November 24 regular season finale at FIU (12 p.m.) will all air on both Stadium and Facebook.

Between those dates, the Thundering Herd will also host Charlotte on November 10 at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN+.

Broadcast information and start times for the other four games were announced last week: http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/053118aab.html.

The 2018 C-USA Championship game on Saturday, Dec. 1 will air on CBS Sports Network at a time to be determined.

ESPN is scheduled to carry all six of C-USA’s bowl games in which it has a guaranteed selection.

The C-USA office also announced a new multi-year contract with ESPN Thursday that will triple the network’s inventory of league events to more than 175 broadcasts that will air on either ESPN3 or ESPN+ during the 2018-19 school year. More information on that announcement may be found here: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/conferenceusa.com/documents/2018/6/7/ESPN_Release.pdf?id=12330.

Marshall’s full 2018 schedule is below.

2018 Schedule

Sept. 1 at Miami (Ohio), 3:30 p.m. (ESPN+)

Sept. 8 EASTERN KENTUCKY, 6:30 p.m. (ESPN+)

Sept. 15 at South Carolina, 7:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Sept. 22 NC STATE, 7 p.m. (CBSSN)

Sept. 29 at WKU*, 7:30 p.m. ET/6:30 p.m. CT (Stadium)

Oct. 5 MIDDLE TENNESSEE, 7:30 p.m. (CBSSN)*

Oct. 13 at Old Dominion*, 3:30 p.m. (Stadium)

Oct. 20 FLORIDA ATLANTIC*, 2:30 p.m. (CBSSN/Facebook)

Oct. 27 Bye

Nov. 3 at Southern Miss*, 3 p.m./2 p.m. CT (Stadium/Facebook)

Nov. 10 CHARLOTTE*, 2:30 p.m. (ESPN+)

Nov. 17 UTSA*, 2:30 p.m. (Stadium/Facebook)

Nov. 24 at FIU*, 12 p.m. (Stadium/Facebook)

*Conference USA game

Oh boy, ESPN+. A service I will NEVER pay for, as ESPN will never get a thin cent of my money.

ESPN stinks but this is a great deal for MU fans.

You can spend $10 (two games in September and one in November) and watch three MU football games.

This will also be very beneficial for basketball. I expect a large number of our games to end up on ESPN+.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Well, I don’t watch basketball, so that’s of no concern to me. And if I’m not going to a game in person, I’m not spending a dime on watching a sporting event. I already have cable and that costs me enough every month.

I don't see what's so great about this. It's not like we are getting ESPN or even ESPN2. We are getting on the internet. Big deal! Not like we couldn't get that anyway. Without ESPN or ESPN2, it's really like pissing in the wind. The only people who will watch are the fans of the two schools.

I don't see what's so great about this. It's not like we are getting ESPN or even ESPN2. We are getting on the internet. Big deal! Not like we couldn't get that anyway. Without ESPN or ESPN2, it's really like pissing in the wind. The only people who will watch are the fans of the two schools.

It's great because the product will be MUCH better than C-USA TV.

It's great because you can see more Marshall football and basketball games than you previously could.

It's great because ESPN+ will be available through the ESPN app, which plays nicely with smart TVs and streaming devices.

Its interesting how the schedule worked out - opener aside, the first half of the season is all night games, second half is all day games.

Man, some of you would Bit@h about sunshine after a week of non-stop rain, saying it was too bright. I'm just glad that every game is finally on a TV platform I can get here in Atlanta. It reminds me of the 90's when Marshall was one of the most televised programs in the country regardless of division!

It reminds me of the 90's when Marshall was one of the most televised programs in the country regardless of division!

They were on ESPN and other National Network Television. Boise St. has that position now. We are on Facebook!

They were on ESPN and other National Network Television. Boise St. has that position now. We are on Facebook!

Boise St. has earned the right. That begin said, I'd rather watch a game on Facebook then ESPN-3 any day. Better production quality and no local homer play by play guys.

And what conference to propose we go? The only one better of the G5 is AAC and they made it perfectly clear when they formed they didn't want us.

Reactions: pdbailey
Man, some of you would Bit@h about sunshine after a week of non-stop rain, saying it was too bright. I'm just glad that every game is finally on a TV platform I can get here in Atlanta. It reminds me of the 90's when Marshall was one of the most televised programs in the country regardless of division!
ESPN+ is not a TV platform.

The only one better of the G5 is AAC and they made it perfectly clear when they formed they didn't want us

At the time WVU was in it. You have the ol'e Little Brother , Big Brother think going on back there I never understood. Now is a different time, MU may be an option.

Some of you GET OFF MY PORCH types need to realize it’s not 1998. It’s 2018. There are plenty of other sports channels that show sports and many ways to watch it. I suppose you still have your 8-Track player and swear it sounds the best.

This is an excellent addition. Now all of CUSA games are a ilable for viewing. I watch any and all football I can and having the ability to pick and choose is awesome wether it’s turning on ESPN, FS1, CBSSN, or streaming on the many available platforms it’s more content which is what makes this awesome.

Not to mention all the other sports this impacts! Lots of content for CUSA and more importantly Marshall University.

“As part of the new deal, ESPN will air all remaining football games (approximately 45 in 2018) along with 60 regular-season men’s basketball games and 28 regular-season women’s basketball games. ESPN also picks up first-round men’s and women’s basketball action at the upcoming 2018 C-USA Basketball Championships in Frisco, Texas.

Rounding out the contract, ESPN will become the primary home of multiple conference championships.
Men’s Soccer: All six games including the championship finals
Women’s Soccer: All seven games including the championship finals
Volleyball: All seven games including the championships finals
Baseball: All games leading up to the championship game, which will air on CBS Sports
Softball: All games leading up to the championship game, which will air on CBS Sports

ESPN’s digital platforms will also spotlight additional C-USA championships throughout the year with special highlight shows. The sports expected to be featured include cross country, indoor and outdoor track & field, swimming & diving, golf and tennis.”

Spoken like a true Millennial. News Flash: Since the privacy breach FB has been losing users at the rate of over 100k a month. Stay off of TYT, and you would e known that.
Bwahahahahaha thanksfor the ‘compliment’ but as chris said, i’m definitely not a millennial.....i do, however, understand that online live streaming is only going to increase - why else would FB, microsoft, amazon, netflix, youtube, etc be investing all this capital on new digital infrastructure? Those who ignore this new reality are gonna be left crying in their panties

It’s a slow news day when Herd fans argue about stuff like this. Watch it, don’t watch it.
Personally, I don’t care either way. Life gets in the way of Herd games. The older I get, the less sports I watch on TV.

I thought ESPN+ went out long ago. So this is not the same as ESPN3 or how you could get ESPN Game Plan package? Is this more like an a la carte option with ESPN but only for streaming online? I'm just happy to be able to view our games, but I would much prefer not having to run HDMI from my laptop to my big screen just to be able to avoid watching the games on my computer.

Facebook games worked fairly well last year. I do recall some others though that streamed very poor, but I can't remember now which provider...maybe the sh!tty CUSAtv?

Reactions: Herd In the Plains
I thought ESPN+ went out long ago. So this is not the same as ESPN3 or how you could get ESPN Game Plan package? Is this more like an a la carte option with ESPN but only for streaming online? I'm just happy to be able to view our games, but I would much prefer not having to run HDMI from my laptop to my big screen just to be able to avoid watching the games on my computer.

Facebook games worked fairly well last year. I do recall some others though that streamed very poor, but I can't remember now which provider...maybe the sh!tty CUSAtv?
Yes, ESPN+ is an a la carte item that is streaming. The big difference in it and other platforms it is easier to get it onto you tv.
Very simple with a smart tv or FireStick

Yes, ESPN+ is an a la carte item that is streaming. The big difference in it and other platforms it is easier to get it onto you tv.
Very simple with a smart tv or FireStick

I feel like I have seen ESPN+ footage on local channels before in various places.

Every HERD game on TV and it’s more easily accessible than years past, the conference more closely aligned with ESPN....what’s to complain about?

Reactions: ToesMU
I think I have been over this before with Yagi!

Yes, and as many others posted, your numerous, changed attempts at stating Boise doesn't deserve their reputation were pathetically wrong.

I feel like I have seen ESPN+ footage on local channels before in various places.

Every HERD game on TV and it’s more easily accessible than years past, the conference more closely aligned with ESPN....what’s to complain about?

The complaint is that inferior conferences - or conferences Herd fans claim to be inferior - get better television coverage than C-USA. Midweek ESPN and ESPN2 games are far better than Facebook streams and ESPN+ games on Saturdays.

And what conference to propose we go? The only one better of the G5 is AAC and they made it perfectly clear when they formed they didn't want us.

The MWC is far superior to C-USA considering all facets of a conference.

ADVERTISEMENT