ADVERTISEMENT

Rice Commission

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
Condie Rice, ex Bush SOS, headed up an NCAA commission on the cheating at Louisville and elsewhere. Recomendations:

- Eliminate "one and done" which is actually an NBA rule. If NBA won't eliminate the rule, then NCAA should either eliminate freshman eligibility or "lock" a scholarship used by a "one and done" for three years (if a player leaves after one year, UK or Duke or whoever cannot give the scholarship to somebody else).

- Major violations get a school FIVE YEARS post-season bans. Cheating coached get one year bans, and could get life.

- Agents have to be certified by the NCAA.

- AAU/summer leagues. Must agree to divorce from agents and shoe companies or NCAA coaches cannot attend them, which means they cease to exist.

- Shoe companies. Must make public their dealings.

- College presidents. Must state under oath that they are in compliance every year.

Good ideas, IMHO.

But the NCAA, being the NCAA is so mad at Louisville that Morehead State with get the five years.

Good points. I agree about the one and done. Either allow them to go straight to the NBA if they're that damn good, or stay at least two year in college and must show progress toward a degree program. I always thought college was about getting an education?

This whole issue is absurd. The NBA needs its players vetted, the NCAA needs stud athletes for its TV contract, member institutions need basketball teams to advertise their schools, and players need access to coaches and facilities to train and prep them for professional play.

Everybody needs something, and everybody gets what they need in the current system, except for the random Freshman biology student who doesn't even know what a rebound is, but has to pay hundreds of dollars a year in athletic fees to help keep this wheel spinning.

Any truly independent commission - with no ties to any party involved - would say the NBA needs to fund its own damn minor league, and the NCAA needs to spend its time and resources elsewhere.

I really like the idea of locking scholarships in for three years. The problem with the 1 & done is that there’s been a culture created at a few schools (dUKe) where they sign 4-5 kids who have no intentions of staying in school. Even if they suck ass and get overwhelmed by the college game, they have to move on because their replacement is coming in right behind them regardless. That culture is what has to change and if those school have to be more selective in their recruiting, I think it’s a win-win for everyone involved.

Much of this memo was pointed directly at unc-OJ. Problem is cheatin hill is laughing their asses off because they escaped with the banners still hanging. That plays well with WM fans such as zilla who next will claim he is Roy’s next door neighbor. Today was merely pissing on the smoldering ash heap as the building already burned to the ground.
Oh yeah, Dean knew and Roy knew.

Much of this memo was pointed directly at unc-OJ. Problem is cheatin hill is laughing their asses off because they escaped with the banners still hanging. That plays well with WM fans such as zilla who next will claim he is Roy’s next door neighbor. Today was merely pissing on the smoldering ash heap as the building already burned to the ground.
Oh yeah, Dean knew and Roy knew.

OH LORD ALMIGHTY DOOKIE HAS SPOKEN!
Personally, I am NOT an admirer of Roy...I like Coach K better. Bet that got you off....if that's possible!

Your HERD DADDY
(HERDZILLA22) in God's Country===CHARLOTTE

Good points. I agree about the one and done. Either allow them to go straight to the NBA if they're that damn good, or stay at least two year in college and must show progress toward a degree program. I always thought college was about getting an education?
As was stated above, the one and done is an NBA rule. The NCAA has nothing to do with that. A kid can leave school anytime he/she chooses. If the NBA says you can't come into our league until you are 3 years removed from HS, then there would be very few one and dones.

Reactions: Elkview
As was stated above, the one and done is an NBA rule. The NCAA has nothing to do with that. A kid can leave school anytime he/she chooses. If the NBA says you can't come into our league until you are 3 years removed from HS, then there would be very few one and dones.

I am saying that the NCAA should pass a rule saying that if a players signs an LOI with a school and plays his freshmen year with that school, they must stay in school a full two years and make progress toward a degree. It is after all about getting an education.
Someone will say you can’t do that, it infringes on the players freedoms and rights. They commit to a school, the school commits to them in the thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. The schools deserve to recoup some of that investment for taking on that player, providing him with an education and helping him develop and showcase his talents.

I look at it from a future perspective. Many, many players are broke 5 years after they leave the league. Gotta get an education to help them move on.

But, I really don’t care, I don’t watch the NBA anyway. Haven’t since Jordan and Bird played.

Reactions: Elkview
I am saying that the NCAA should pass a rule saying that if a players signs an LOI with a school and plays his freshmen year with that school, they must stay in school a full two years and make progress toward a degree. It is after all about getting an education.
Someone will say you can’t do that, it infringes on the players freedoms and rights. They commit to a school, the school commits to them in the thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. The schools deserve to recoup some of that investment for taking on that player, providing him with an education and helping him develop and showcase his talents.

I look at it from a future perspective. Many, many players are broke 5 years after they leave the league. Gotta get an education to help them move on.

But, I really don’t care, I don’t watch the NBA anyway. Haven’t since Jordan and Bird played.

You should jump back in you’re missing some great stuff.

Last edited:

Scholarship are only good for one year that prevent the NCAA from making said rule

Just admit it is what it is (a multi-billion dollar professional industry) and to hell with the rules. Make the only rules academic in nature to maintain the illusion this is about student athletes. No more bagmen, no more agents sneaking around, just put it out there in the open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT