ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Stockstill

herdalicious

Platinum Buffalo
Apr 3, 2007
Xanadu
How the hell does this guy still have a job? He won a conference championship (Sun Belt) his first season (2006), but even that year they went 1-5 against teams that weren't in the Sun Belt. Since then, he's had:

7 Winning Seasons
4 Losing Seasons (and one 6-6)
2-5 in Bowls
No finish higher than second in the conference or division
No championship game appearances
No championships

Anybody that thinks Marshall is okay with mediocrity, take a gander at Rick's wiki sometime. MTSU really don't GAF.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
He's had them bowl eligible 8 of the last 9 years including the last six straight. After this season, Doc will have had Marshall bowl eligible 6 out of 9 years. Big advantage, Stockstill.

Stockstill is 27-14 in Conference USA. Doc is 40-25. Big advantage, Stockstill.

His teams are consistently above average - but not great - and he is very competitive among his peers (conference mates). He is one of the better coaches in the conference, does things the right way, is a great guy and very likeable, and is exactly who a school should want leading their football program.

It'll get worse when his son graduates.

That's absurd. His son was only a major factor so far in 2015 and 2016. MTSU's conference and overall records were better the three years before his son was starting compared to the three years (2015, 2016, half of 2017, and this year) his son has been QB.

Stockstill is 27-14 in Conference USA. Doc is 40-25. Big advantage, Stockstill.

While I agree with you about Stockstill being a standup guy and a pretty good coach overall, I wouldn't call a 0.658 winning percentage in CUSA (with less games played) versus a 0.616 winning percentage in CUSA a "big advantage."

If anything I would say that those winning percentages and bowl appearances show that both Doc and Stockstill are better than average, but by no means fantastic.

While I agree with you about Stockstill being a standup guy and a pretty good coach overall, I wouldn't call a 0.658 winning percentage in CUSA (with less games played) versus a 0.616 winning percentage in CUSA a "big advantage."

If anything I would say that those winning percentages and bowl appearances show that both Doc and Stockstill are better than average, but by no means fantastic.

Christ. Could you be any more dishonest with your math to help support your argument?

You took Stockstill's winning percentage (.6585) and rounded DOWN to .658 instead of what you should have done, but then you took Doc's winning percentage (.6153) and rounded UP even though you shouldn't have.

It is a big difference. Stockstill wins C-USA games at about a 2-1 ratio. He would have to drop down to almost a 1-1 ratio over the next three years to drop down to Doc's record. That is a big drop and would likely result in three straight losing seasons for Stockstill which is a big drop considering he hasn't had a losing season since 7 years ago.

To be honest, the original title of this thread was "Rick Stockstill's Teams Haven't Done Shhh." His only championship team (the one he inherited) lost in their bowl game to Central Michigan. That was the zenith of his head coaching career.

But in that vein, lemme throw a couple more metrics on the barbie:

10+ win seasons:
Doc Holiday: 3
Rick Stockstill: 0

C-USA Title Games:
Doc Holiday: 2

C-USA Championships:
Doc Holiday: 1

Wins Over Marshall During Our Dreadful 2016 Campaign:
Doc Holiday: N/A

10+ win seasons:
Doc Holiday: 3

Stop lyin'. Counting to ten shouldn't be as hard as you're making it.

C-USA Title Games:
Doc Holiday: 2

C-USA Championships:
Doc Holiday: 1

Doc has coached in the conference for three more years.

His only championship team (the one he inherited) lost in their bowl game to Central Michigan. That was the zenith of his head coaching career.

And the zenith of Doc's coaching career was beating Northern Illinois (who lost by 14 to Central Michigan) in the only year he has won a conference.

They both have won a conference one year.

Again, Conference USA record for Stock' is 27-14. Doc's is 40-25.

Imagine how much better Stock's record would be over Doc's if the former could take unlimited non-qualifiers instead of the zero number he is allowed each year.

Christ. Could you be any more dishonest with your math to help support your argument?

Man you are really freaking triggered over a rounding error on one thousandth of a percentage point.

Also, if Stockstill were to lose say the next 3 games, which is certainly a possibility. And Doc were to win his next three, again certainly possible. Stockstills winning percentage would be 0.614 and Docs would be 0.632. So yes, the difference is miniscule.

Keep up the holier than thou bullshit though. It's entertaining.

Last edited:
Man you are really freaking triggered over a rounding error on one thousandth of a percentage point.

Stop lyin'. It wasn't just one "error." It was two. One error would have been incorrectly rounding down on Stockstill's percentage. But then you went and made an "error" by rounding UP Doc's percentage. We both know that both of those errors, in opposite directions, were not coincidences.

And Doc were to win his next three, again certainly possible. Stockstills winning percentage would be 0.614 and Docs would be 0.632. So yes, the difference is miniscule.

That's not miniscule [sic]. Losing three straight most likely means you are going to have a horrible season. Winning three straight most likely means you are going to have a good season. That would be one additional horrible season for Stock' and an additional good season for Doc. That's not minuscule.

Keep up the holier than thou bullshit though. It's entertaining.

What? I don't think you know the meaning of that phrase.

You took Stockstill's winning percentage (.6585) and rounded DOWN to .658 instead of what you should have done, but then you took Doc's winning percentage (.6153) and rounded UP even though you shouldn't have.

It is a big difference. Stockstill wins C-USA games at about a 2-1 ratio. He would have to drop down to almost a 1-1 ratio over the next three years to drop down to Doc's record. That is a big drop and would likely result in three straight losing seasons for Stockstill which is a big drop considering he hasn't had a losing season since 7 years ago.

You are, by far, the most insecure person on this board; likely, everywhere you happen to be.

Reactions: 19MU88
You are, by far, the most insecure person on this board; likely, everywhere you happen to be.

Cant take it personal... Stoney is one of the posters thats been on here since the beginning. Arguing on Herdnation puts half a roll of nickles in his tighty-whities... On one level or another we all want our opinions to be validated by our fellow Herd faithful.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
I'm pretty sure that Doc had much stronger competition in his earliest years in C-USA than Stockstill did/has. Remember, MTSU joined after we got left behind; they were never in the conference with Houston, Tulsa, ECU (who was good for a while early when we joined the conference), etc.

Stop lyin'. Counting to ten shouldn't be as hard as you're making it.

Doc has coached in the conference for three more years.

And the zenith of Doc's coaching career was beating Northern Illinois (who lost by 14 to Central Michigan) in the only year he has won a conference.

They both have won a conference one year.

Again, Conference USA record for Stock' is 27-14. Doc's is 40-25.

Imagine how much better Stock's record would be over Doc's if the former could take unlimited non-qualifiers instead of the zero number he is allowed each year.

Stockstill is 27-14 since joining CUSA at the start of the 2013 season. Doc is 28-15 over the same time period. Marshall was an average of +10.5 in those games while Middle was an average of +4.1.

Including Doc's record before that is a little disingenuous because Stock didn't have to play UCF, Houston, and ECU/Tulsa (when they were actually good). Doc has the head to head 3-2, 2 championship appearances to zero, and one to zero on championships.

Keep in mind that I think Doc has underperformed, so certainly not beating his drum. Just pointing out that Stock has certainly not done better. If Doc was a good coach he would be doing at Marshall what Brohm did at his short stint at WKU. If he would have stayed in Bowling Green it's likely Doc would have never had a shot at another title.

Reactions: pdbailey
What? I don't think you know the meaning of that phrase.

I prefer the modern definition... "Holier than thou" - acting like one is superior to others, condescending.

That definition should be on your message board tombstone when the time comes. Lol.

Just pointing out that Stock has certainly not done better.

You claim he hasn't done better, but by all accounts in C-USA (regardless of when you start looking at records), Stockstill is better. That doesn't make sense.

Doc has the head to head 3-2, 2 championship appearances to zero, and one to zero on championships.

Stock has also won a conference championship at the FBS level. Your argument is like saying that Doc is a better coach than Lane Kiffin because Doc has more championship appearances in C-USA than Kiffin. Stock has coached at least three fewer years in the conference.

In terms of opportunity to succeed, MTSU is far behind Marshall in football. Marshall has significantly better facilities, significantly better fan support, no close competition (MTSU has Vandy and the Titans next door and Western Kentucky 45 minutes up the road), a better tradition, and a huge advantage in being able to take non-qualifiers. It is much easier to win at Marshall than it is at MTSU. Yet Stockstill has a better C-USA record.

I prefer the modern definition... "Holier than thou" - acting like one is superior to others, condescending.

Holier than thou does not mean condescending. It means one acting like they have better ethics.

That definition should be on your message board tombstone when the time comes. Lol.

That time has arrived multiple times. I rose from the dead on one when I was banned and made myself a moderator on another when I was banned. Jesus ain't got shit on me.

You claim he hasn't done better, but by all accounts in C-USA (regardless of when you start looking at records), Stockstill is better. That doesn't make sense.

Stock has also won a conference championship at the FBS level. Your argument is like saying that Doc is a better coach than Lane Kiffin because Doc has more championship appearances in C-USA than Kiffin. Stock has coached at least three fewer years in the conference.

In terms of opportunity to succeed, MTSU is far behind Marshall in football. Marshall has significantly better facilities, significantly better fan support, no close competition (MTSU has Vandy and the Titans next door and Western Kentucky 45 minutes up the road), a better tradition, and a huge advantage in being able to take non-qualifiers. It is much easier to win at Marshall than it is at MTSU. Yet Stockstill has a better C-USA record.

You aren't willing to be intellectually honest, so this conversation has become pointless. Both of Doc's appearances in the championship have occurred since Middle joined CUSA. They have almost the same identical record since Middle joined the conference. The only difference is Doc lost his extra game against Rice in the 2013 championship. You know, the game Stock was watching from his couch just like every other championship game since joining CUSA.

If you want to argue location, tell me how Middle is in a tougher spot than being within 3 hours of Ohio State, WVU, UK, Louisville, VT, Cincinnati, Ohio and Miami, OH. That gives fans and players options for the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, ACC, AAC, and MAC. Vandy is an afterthought in college football, even in Tennessee, while Ohio State, WVU, UK and VT are all big dog programs in their states and beyond.

Middle is in a metro market that is about the population size of the entire state of WV. They have a much larger student body which equates to much higher total student fees for sports and school funding of athletics.

I know you'll just keep beating this dead horse, but you don't have a valid argument and everyone but you knows it.

You aren't willing to be intellectually honest, so this conversation has become pointless.

This is a desperate attempt to make it sound like you have any idea what you're talking about.

Stockstill's overall C-USA record is far superior to Doc's. Stockstill's overall record in C-USA is still better than Doc's accounting for only the time period you wanted. You then claim that Doc's loss against Rice in the championship is the determining factor which you claim isn't fair. In that case, you have to take away Marshall's win in the conference championship, too. That means Doc's record is once again worse than Stockstill's.

If you want to argue location, tell me how Middle is in a tougher spot than being within 3 hours of Ohio State, WVU, UK, Louisville, VT, Cincinnati, Ohio and Miami, OH. That gives fans and players options for the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, ACC, AAC, and MAC. Vandy is an afterthought in college football, even in Tennessee, while Ohio State, WVU, UK and VT are all big dog programs in their states and beyond.

My comment wasn't about recruiting against those schools. It was about getting fan/donor support. Christ, do you really think kids are choosing to go to Marshall instead of Ohio State because of distance? The comment referred to the non-alum fan who wants to go to a football game or become a fan. MTSU has an NFL team and a P5 team 25 minutes away and another G5 team 45 minutes away. Marshall has nothing - literally nothing - within 45 minutes. Hell, the closest NFL team is 2.5 hours away and the closest D1 team is 2 hours away.

I know you'll just keep beating this dead horse, but you don't have a valid argument and everyone but you knows it.

My argument is that Stockstill has done a solid job at MTSU. Questioning how he could still have a job there is asinine. He has done a better job in C-USA than Doc in wins/losses. Considering all of the factors, he has done an even better job than Doc.

Answer this simple question: if you were offered both head coaching jobs and your only goal was to go where you have the best chance of success, where would you go? You'd take into consideration recruiting region (MTSU), history of the program (Marshall), assistant salary pool (Marshall), fan support (Marshall), facilities (Marshall), competition in the region (Marshall), brand (Marshall), tangibles to success - accepting non-qualifiers/campus support/future growth potential (Marshall) . . . by far, Marshall comes out as the place easier to succeed. In saying that, it shows that Stock having the better record regardless of either of the time periods you use is even more impressive.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
You are still solidly wrong, except I will agree that Marshall has certain advantages over Middle in regard to facilities and fan support. However, the competition for fans is far stronger in the Tri-State area. In my neighborhood, and every neighborhood in the area, you will see a healthy representation of Ohio State, UK, WVU, and VT. All are a very easy game day drive for fans. Not only do those 4 schools draw nearly 300,000 fans each week to the stadium, they all also have great TV deals where you get all their games on TV. Oh, and Ohio U is exactly 90 minutes from Huntington, which is less than 2 hours.

I was clear to point out that I think Doc has underachieved at Marshall, but to insinuate in any way that Stockstill has done a good job is wrong. He seems like a good dude and his team's haven't had a ton of off field issues, but they have been largely average, at best. He has had zero really good seasons in CUSA. Like Doc, he generally beats the sisters of the poor start-ups, which we have a lot of these days, but hasn't been close to getting them over the hump.

I had these debates with their fans on the CUSA board, actually taking your side of the argument. However, my point wasn't that he had done a,good job, but instead that they shouldn't underestimate the value of a coach that can at least keep them around bowl eligibility. It's similar to ECU fans being happy they booted Ruffin or the USM fans that were happy when they booted Bower. Neither was spectacular (even though I think Bower would have killed this version of CUSA).

Stockstill is 27-14 since joining CUSA at the start of the 2013 season. Doc is 28-15 over the same time period. Marshall was an average of +10.5 in those games while Middle was an average of +4.1.

Including Doc's record before that is a little disingenuous because Stock didn't have to play UCF, Houston, and ECU/Tulsa (when they were actually good). Doc has the head to head 3-2, 2 championship appearances to zero, and one to zero on championships.

Keep in mind that I think Doc has underperformed, so certainly not beating his drum. Just pointing out that Stock has certainly not done better. If Doc was a good coach he would be doing at Marshall what Brohm did at his short stint at WKU. If he would have stayed in Bowling Green it's likely Doc would have never had a shot at another title.

I agree, he was lying. 2013 forward is the better comparison.

Reactions: goherd13
If I had known when I started this thread that the phrase "Stop lyin'" would appear in it this many times, I probably would have had a boner when I clicked post.

And I'm like 40, so boners are.....boners are great.

Herda,Yags and banker!!!!
This has to be the best thread by far that ive read. A Classic!! I about fell out if my chair
Laughing!!!!! LOL. WooooWeeer!!
This has been a fun read!!
Thank you so much for your contribution to this forum!!!

He won a conference championship (Sun Belt) his first season (2006), but even that year they went 1-5 against teams that weren't in the Sun Belt. Since then, he's had:
7 Winning Seasons

No. Since then, he's had 6 winning seasons, not 7. 6 is the number before 7 and the number after 5. You and Rhino must have had the same math teacher in kindergarten. Why do you fvckers struggle so much with basic math?

You are still solidly wrong, except I will agree that Marshall has certain advantages over Middle in regard to facilities and fan support. However, the competition for fans is far stronger in the Tri-State area. In my neighborhood, and every neighborhood in the area, you will see a healthy representation of Ohio State, UK, WVU, and VT. All are a very easy game day drive for fans. Not only do those 4 schools draw nearly 300,000 fans each week to the stadium, they all also have great TV deals where you get all their games on TV. Oh, and Ohio U is exactly 90 minutes from Huntington, which is less than 2 hours.

This just keeps getting better. You want to claim Marshall has more competition due to places like Virginia Tech and morganhole being three hours away? Even with your exaggeration that Athens is exactly 90 minutes away, that means the closest competitor to Marshall is three times greater than an NFL team and an SEC team and two times greater than another G5 team are to MTSU. Already, the competition factor at MTSU blows away what Marshall has to deal with. Tell me, if you're trying to fight for $30 for the casual fan's ticket, would you rather have to deal with Ohio University 90 minutes away or an NFL and SEC team within 30 minutes and Western Kentucky within 45 minutes? Exactly. The case should be closed at this point.

But I get it, then you have state schools about three hours away to deal with in Huntington, right? Ever see what else MTSU has to deal with within the same distance? Tennessee, Alabama, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, UAB, Kentucky, Memphis, and this little team called the Atlanta Falcons are all the same distance or less from Murfreesboro than some of those places you listed Huntington has to compete with. Oh, and don't forget to include the Tennessee Titans, Vanderbilt, and Western Kentucky in that group.

Why would you really try to argue this point? MTSU has far, far more competition in both football and basic life than Huntington has in terms of getting fans out to games and to become customers.

I was clear to point out that I think Doc has underachieved at Marshall, but to insinuate in any way that Stockstill has done a good job is wrong. He seems like a good dude and his team's haven't had a ton of off field issues, but they have been largely average, at best. He has had zero really good seasons in CUSA. Like Doc, he generally beats the sisters of the poor start-ups, which we have a lot of these days, but hasn't been close to getting them over the hump.

This year will be the seventh straight year he will have them bowl eligible. Doc's longest streak is three. This will be the ninth out of ten years they will be bowl eligible. Doc can't even do half of that.

That is doing a good job. Claiming otherwise is sheer ignorance. He took over a program that hadn't had a winning season since five years prior, gave them a winning season in his first year, and has consistently made them bowl eligible.

He led them to the biggest increase in APR in the country, puts out a solid team almost every single year, and has very little off-field problems.

Marshall has a much easier path to success than coaching at MTSU - we've established that when looking at facilities, fan support, competition, recruiting region (the only advantage that MTSU has), non-qualifiers, history - and Stockstill has won more than Doc.

Oh, and you may want to look at which coach in Conference USA has the best conference winning percentage (excluding Kiffin and Butch Davis who have only been there one year).

MTSU would be the biggest fools in history to get rid of Stockstill.

No. Since then, he's had 6 winning seasons, not 7. 6 is the number before 7 and the number after 5. You and Rhino must have had the same math teacher in kindergarten. Why do you fvckers struggle so much with basic math?
Bah I should have known not to tussle with the Godfather of Pointless Semantic Argument. I am defeated NAY I am SLAIN.

Bah I should have known not to tussle with the Godfather of Pointless Semantic Argument. I am defeated NAY I am SLAIN.

After destroying the main points of a person's argument, there is nothing more enjoyable to do than mock his inability to count to ten.

Firing the most successful coach that particular G5 has ever had who is about to have his team be bowl eligible for the ninth time in ten years while having the country's biggest APR increase, having no major off-field issues, and having a top winning percentage in the conference is asinine.

Here, this one's for free:

Record Against Doc Holiday:

Doc Holiday: N/A
Rick Stockstill:2-3

CLEAR ADVANTAGE: STOCKSTILL

As we've already gone over, Holliday has some heavy advantages coaching at Marshall compared to coaching at MTSU. Based on everything, Marshall should be superior to MTSU. Coaching records suggest otherwise though.

Oh, and Marshall's head coach spells his name "H-O-L-L-I-D-A-Y." He's only been at Marshall for nine years, so maybe after a decade, his name will become easier to spell than counting to ten will be for you.

FACEPALM-T-shirtDesign-by-JBaz.jpg

Ha! Your point is rendered moot by the omission of an "l". Ha!

No, his point is rendered moot by not being able to acknowledge that Marshall gives a coach a far greater chance of success than MTSU does, yet Stockstill has a significantly better record than Doc does.

His point is rendered moot by ignoring that Stock is about to have his ninth bowl eligible team in ten years after taking over a program that hadn't had a winning season in five years, yet claims that Stock shouldn't have a job.

Once again, the champ circles the ring, arms raised high, as the crowd goes wild! They are bringing the belt over.....he throws it over his shoulder......
No, his point is rendered moot by not being able to acknowledge that Marshall gives a coach a far greater chance of success than MTSU does, yet Stockstill has a significantly better record than Doc does.

His point is rendered moot by ignoring that Stock is about to have his ninth bowl eligible team in ten years after taking over a program that hadn't had a winning season in five years, yet claims that Stock shouldn't have a job.
......you keep yapping about MTSU on the cusp of their ninth be team in 10 years. Upon what basis do you make that claim? There is NO guarantee that they will reach six wins this season. Your statement is mere speculation.......

......you keep yapping about MTSU on the cusp of their ninth be team in 10 years. Upon what basis do you make that claim? There is NO guarantee that they will reach six wins this season. Your statement is mere speculation.......

You've gone back to trying too hard again. Just stick with creating polls asking the age of each poster.

Allow some clarification.

After 24 years as a career assistant, a path similarly travel by Doc Holliday prior to his current gig at MU, Rick Stockstill became head football coach at MTSU in 2006. During the first 7 seasons there Stockstill went 43-44 overall while the Raiders were a member of the mighty Sun Belt Conference. Yes, in 2006 his MTSU team won the Sun Belt championship with a 6--1 league mark, 7-6 overall. Remaining records starting in 2007 until 2012, last season in the SB were: 5-7, 5-7, 10-3, 6-7, 2-10, and 8-4.

Beginning with 2013, MTSU has played in CUSA where Coach Stockstill's teams have been 8-5, 6-6, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, and 2-2 so far in 2018.

Overall, Stockstill is a whopping 81-74 as a head coach, all at MTSU, a winning per centage well below Doc Holliday's. Stockstill was 1-1 in Bowl Games while his team was in the Sun Belt, losing the Motor City Bowl in 2006, and winning the New Orleans Bowl in 2009,

Since entering CUSA, MTSU has gone 38-30 overall, a winning percentage again lower than Holliday's overall percentage success rate at MU. Stockstill is 1-3 in Bowl games as a CUSA head coach: losing in the Armed Services Bowl in 2013, the Bahamas Bowl in 2015, and in the Hawaii Bowl in 2016, before winning the Camillia in 2017. Overall Bowl Record: 2-5. Holliday's Bowl Record 5-0. Advantage: Doc.

Worst Year, win-loss wise: Stockstill, 2-10 in 2011; Holliday, 3-9 in 2016. Check the math, Y.A.G. Again, advantage: Holliday.

Being bowl eligible 9 out of the last 10 years or so means that, well, it means that that fact and a dollar will get you a small coffee at McDonald's 7 days a week!

One must wonder that with a 43-44 overall record after 7 season if Stockstill wasn't very fortunate still being the Blue Raiders head coach in 2013, his eighth overall and their first in CUSA!

One final "factoid": Stockstill started his long coaching career at vaunted Bethune Cookman in Florida. This may help explain why some on here are enthralled/infatuated with him as a head football coach, given his sparkling overall record, overall bowl record, and vast number of conference championships won!!

Damn you sliced old rifletard up!

As we all know, getting his ass kicked won’t shut him up

What made you think it would be a good idea to challenge somebody far brighter, far more knowledgeable on this topic, and far better at this than you? It would be like me challenging Mike Tyson to a boxing match. The only chances I would have would be if my mother were (see the usage with unreal conditionals, Murox?) the lone judge or if a set of giant tits walked by for distraction . . . and, unfortunately for you, the only giant tits I know of on this board are attached to Dangerousdaneerfan, and he usually stays on the Pullman board.

Allow some clarification.

During the first 7 seasons there Stockstill went 43-44 overall while the Raiders were a member of the mighty Sun Belt Conference. Yes, in 2006 his MTSU team won the Sun Belt championship with a 6--1 league mark, 7-6 overall. Remaining records starting in 2007 until 2012, last season in the SB were: 5-7, 5-7, 10-3, 6-7, 2-10, and 8-4.

Wait a minute: I thought 'licious said we weren't including Sun Belt numbers since it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison? He said it was only fair to compare C-USA games during the same period. You should consult with him so that you guys can get on the same page. Already you have failed the logic test. But lets show some more ways . . .

Why would you look at overall records and try to make a comparison? Teams play entirely different OOC schedules. Why did you hide from Stock's Sun Belt record? Against his peers (Sun Belt teams), he went 32-21. More important than that is the immediate improvement he brought to his program. He took over a 4 win team. In his very first year, he put up 7 wins, a big jump in his first year. Compare that to Doc. He took over a 7 win, bowl winning team. How long did it take Doc to improve upon that record? 1 Year? Nope. 2 Years? Nope. 3 Years? Nope. Finally, four years later, Doc was able to get improvement out of the team. In fact, his first three years he was worse than Snyder's last year. Only after a complete watering down (another reason why Herdalicious said your first argument was bogus) of the conference did Doc finally improve upon Snyder's last year . . . four years later. That's really, really bad. Again, Stock' took over a program that hadn't had a winning season in five years and led them to a winning season and a bowl in one year. Doc took over a team that had a winning record and bowl victory and was worse for three straight years. HUGE advantage: Stockstill

Overall, Stockstill is a whopping 81-74 as a head coach, all at MTSU, a winning per centage well below Doc Holliday's.

Nope. Herdalicious already explained why it isn't fair to look at that. You can only compare Conference USA games during the same period between the coaches.

But basic logic should tell you that regardless of 'licious weighing in. If Coach A has a winning percentage of .550 at New Mexico State, and Coach B has a winning percentage of .600 at Ohio State, who is doing the better job? Based on your argument, OSU's coach is. That's bullshit. NMSU is the hardest place in the country to win. OSU has every advantage possible compared to almost every school. Likewise, as we have gone over numerous times, a coach at Marshall has significant advantages over a coach at MTSU in terms of easiest path for success.

Since entering CUSA, MTSU has gone 38-30 overall, a winning percentage again lower than Holliday's overall percentage success rate at MU.

This just keeps getting dumber and dumber. Are you really trying to compare Stockstill's overall record versus Doc's overall record? You really should read Herdalicious' posts again (just don't let him teach math to you). Since entering C-USA, MTSU has had far, far, far, far, far (that's 5 fars) harder schedules than Marshall has. In fact, in multiple years, MTSU's schedule has been 35 spots harder than Marshall's. In other words, you're not comparing apples to oranges, but rather, your brain with mine. Some things are too drastically different to be compared.

As 'licious said, we must look at C-USA records ONLY during the time both were in the conference. In doing so, you'll see identical records. And that is my point. Ignoring all of the other things (Stockstill immediately improving the team he inherited while Doc making it worse for three years, Marshall having far more advantages, etc.), they have the exact same conference record over the last 5+ years. And Stockstill has had his team bowl eligible in every single year of Conference USA play. Doc hasn't.

Stockstill is 1-3 in Bowl games as a CUSA head coach: losing in the Armed Services Bowl in 2013, the Bahamas Bowl in 2015, and in the Hawaii Bowl in 2016, before winning the Camillia in 2017. Overall Bowl Record: 2-5. Holliday's Bowl Record 5-0. Advantage: Doc.

This is as illogical as the arguments people make after bowl season claiming one conference is better than another simply based on bowl records of the conference. Let me know if you need me to explain why. If you are too embarrassed to ask, your great-grandson probably can explain it to you.

Worst Year, win-loss wise: Stockstill, 2-10 in 2011; Holliday, 3-9 in 2016. Check the math, Y.A.G. Again, advantage: Holliday.

Again, simply an illogical argument. Your claim is that Holliday is a better coach because his worst year was one game better than Stockstill's worst year? Your great-grandson is going to think you're a moron if you ask him this one, also, so you should probably ask somebody else.

Oh, and like usual, Holliday's 2016 team faced an easier schedule than Stockstill's 2011 team. Imagine that . . . please, try using some logic.

Being bowl eligible 9 out of the last 10 years or so means that, well, it means that that fact and a dollar will get you a small coffee at McDonald's 7 days a week!

You're clueless. For many programs outside of the elites, their top goal is getting bowl eligible, winning their division, and/or winning their conference. Outside of the elites, getting to a bowl games means a solid season. If a Sun Belt/Conference USA team is getting bowl eligible 9 out of 10 seasons, it means they are competing better than average against their peers and have a solidly successful program.

One must wonder that with a 43-44 overall record after 7 season if Stockstill wasn't very fortunate still being the Blue Raiders head coach in 2013, his eighth overall and their first in CUSA!

Again, you're clueless. He took over a program that hadn't had a winning season in five years and immediately changed that. He took a program that had gone 16-18 in the Sun Belt and went 32-21 which is a huge improvement.

Again, compare that to how Doc did compared with Snyder before C-USA was drastically watered down.

This may help explain why some on here are enthralled/infatuated with him as a head football coach, given his sparkling overall record, overall bowl record, and vast number of conference championships won!!

I'm not enthralled or infatuated with him. I simply called out a moronic claim that he should have been fired by now for "not accomplishing anything." The guy has taken a bad program and made it a very solid, very consistent, above average program while working miracles in APR and running a very clean program in and out of football. I compared his record in Conference USA with Doc's during the time both have been in the conference. Even though Marshall has far more advantages to success than MTSU, their conference records are identical.

He is exactly the type of guy who should be leading a college football program. He is the type of guy who spent $10,000 of his own money to buy bowl tickets for MTSU students because their previous two bowl games were in Hawaii and the Bahamas, and he was upset that the MTSU students couldn't afford to go to those locations. He paid his own money to give them the opportunity to see them play five hours from campus. He's the type of guy who has rules and sticks by them; he definitely wouldn't keep a player on the team for a year after he admitted to selling heroin out of his apartment and possessing a gun in an FBI indictment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT