ADVERTISEMENT

Rifle, know this guy

I don't, but I am not a believer in the philosophy that a successful coach at one level will be successful at another level.

Valdosta State won the DII national championship last year under a different head coach, so this guy wasn't exactly taking over a wasteland. The head coach who won the national championship last year called the plays for Valdosta, and they led the country with 52 points per game. He left Valdosta to become the OC at South Florida this season, and South Florida has one of the worst offenses in the country under him. Success doesn't transition from one level to the next, especially when that success was rooted in a lot of previous success at that same school.

A few years ago, Abilene Christian hired the DII head coach who had just won back-to-back-to-back national championships. He has struggled mightily during his three seasons at the FCS level, and that is after the school built him a beautiful on-campus stadium, gave him a 5 year/$250,000 annual salary, gave a very healthy assistant coaching pool, and took over a team that just had the #9 nationally ranked recruiting class.

There are a ton of coaches who can take over a great program and continue its success. There are a lot less who can take over a bad program and get it to be successful.

It's sort of like making money when you already have money vs. making money when you started out poor.

He did well at Tiffin taking over a program that was 2-31 in the 3 years before he got there. Just wondering if you thought he was watching. I like that he's from the Mumme/Leach tree (as a player anyway).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT