ADVERTISEMENT

Rifle:

Marine03

Platinum Buffalo
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
What do you think about travel baseball for younger kids? My son is 8, he’s been asked to join the CT elite team (Mustangs) baseball team for 10U. Not sure how I feel about him playing that many games in a season at that age. It’s spring, summer, fall, with winter practices which he’ll probably not do because of wrestling. How young is too young for all this?

Ask someone with a kid. Suck up to rifle later. Lol

I’m asking due to his years playing baseball. And to ask someone with a kid is a slippery slope given the fact many dads live through their sons, which I try not to. So asking the lone person on here I know played and appreciates the sport is why I asked. As for “sucking up” please.

Since Rifle doesn't get up until after noon, my take is that I would wait until he's a little older. Eight seems too young to me, unless he's very developed already.

Plus, as you mention, it's a lot of commitment with lots of travel and games, which could potentially lead to burnout at an early age.

And then there's the F***ing expense involved in it all. I dated a woman back in the 2000's that had a daughter that did travel volleyball, and every damn weekend, they were off to some location in the Midwest to play, and stay in hotels for the weekend. I guess if you can afford to spend your money for the betterment of the kid, it's fine. I was more distressed over not getting the opportunity to get some nookie during travel weekends.

All is true, being in a new area I’ve given it some consideration if we were still in NY I’d probably say no. But I’m wanting him to make some friends over here and it seems as if most of the kids he’s meeting and wanting to hang out with are on that same club. It’s a solid club, they do some traveling in GA, FL, and play a lot in NY. It’s not the money or time that concerns me, it’s the burn out and arm wear

tenor.gif

I know you played baseball, so I'll direct this question to you. My son is 7, he's a very good baseball player and he's been asked to play travel ball and house ball next season. That equates to about 35-40 games as an 8 year old between both leagues. The travel team practices year round but I won't let him drop other sports to play baseball exclusively. Do you think that many games at that age is beneficial or too much for a kid that young? It's all different from when I played, we all played house and then All-Star and after that you're done. My fear is a burnout early, what do you think?

even same thread name

Since Rifle doesn't get up until after noon, my take is that I would wait until he's a little older. Eight seems too young to me, unless he's very developed already.

Plus, as you mention, it's a lot of commitment with lots of travel and games, which could potentially lead to burnout at an early age.

And then there's the F***ing expense involved in it all. I dated a woman back in the 2000's that had a daughter that did travel volleyball, and every damn weekend, they were off to some location in the Midwest to play, and stay in hotels for the weekend. I guess if you can afford to spend your money for the betterment of the kid, it's fine. I was more distressed over not getting the opportunity to get some nookie during travel weekends.
your response from the first one . . . almost word for word.
It's a money grabbing scheme. I was doing this woman several years back, and her daughter was like 9 years old and joined a travel volleyball team. I'm talking spending thousands and thousands of dollars traveling almost every weekend to places across the midwest. Couldn't pay her damn mortgage or utilities, and cut off cable TV, but dammit, her daughter and her traveled the country. Good woman to have sex with from time to time, but I can't live without cable tv.
even posted her pic
ugly-woman-1.jpg

8 is young for travel ball, IMO. Especially to places like Florida, GA, etc. I see no point in that at that age. The thing about kids at that age is that some of good kids at that age will not be good later. Some will move on to other stuff.

Honestly at that age if you want to put time and money into something, I would have him work some with a good hitting instructor and learn fundamentals. Also, work on throwing and fielding and development.

Not need to travel to Florida at 8 watching kids that age. Get him where he can hit well from a machine and then a live arm(coach pitch).

Again, at that age work on fundamentals of hitting, footwork, and fundamentals of fielding and trowing.

8 is young for travel ball, IMO. Especially to places like Florida, GA, etc. I see no point in that at that age. The thing about kids at that age is that some of good kids at that age will not be good later. Some will move on to other stuff.

Honestly at that age if you want to put time and money into something, I would have him work some with a good hitting instructor and learn fundamentals. Also, work on throwing and fielding and development.

Not need to travel to Florida at 8 watching kids that age. Get him where he can hit well from a machine and then a live arm(coach pitch).

Again, at that age work on fundamentals of hitting, footwork, and fundamentals of fielding and trowing.

Well that’s the thing, unlike last year this club has its clinics and indoor facilities. They start at 10U, than 12, 14, 16 and up. A guy named Mike Spradlin from Texas owns it. It’s a bit different than the club in NY, which was so political it was a joke

Your memory fan is astonishing as I forgot about this entire thread last year. Kudos to you, I’ll move on from this question. Fvck it I’ll
Let him play and see where it goes.
haha, i was reading that and deja vu kicked in, just giving you shit because that's what we do. let the kid decide what he wants to do, that's what i've always done. my only rule was, ya start it ya finish it, and you give everything 110%. he chose not to play travel ball in any sport, didn't want to miss out on any farming with his grandpap. during jr. high, his lack of playing travel showed when comparing him with other kids that did do the travel squads. fast forward to his sophomore year and he started this year on the JV basketball team and will start JV baseball and see significant PT on varsity squad. growing upwards of 5 or 6 inches over the past year and slimming down has done wonders for his athleticism.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
haha, i was reading that and deja vu kicked in, just giving you shit because that's what we do. let the kid decide what he wants to do, that's what i've always done. my only rule was, ya start it ya finish it, and you give everything 110%. he chose not to play travel ball in any sport, didn't want to miss out on any farming with his grandpap. during jr. high, his lack of playing travel showed when comparing him with other kids that did do the travel squads. fast forward to his sophomore year and he started this year on the JV basketball team and will start JV baseball and see significant PT on varsity squad. growing upwards of 5 or 6 inches over the past year and slimming down has done wonders for his athleticism.

At this point as hard as this move has been on him to up and leave Buffalo and go to Connecticut it may be best for him to just play and make some friends. He’s advanced in the sport for his age. I just worry about the wear and tear on his arm, this is the first year of kid pitch.
Anyhow forget I asked

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Can I ask or ramble about some wrestling questions?

My little dude is about to be 5. He's really short but kind of muscular (thanks mom's muscular genes). He likes soccer but really isn't into tossing ball or basketball and really his hand eye coordination isn't great.

I just want him to be happy and do something he'd like to do. Soccer has been such a great thing for him. I *think* he'd like wrestling and I think it would help his confidence (it's really tough being the shortest kid). He can be whiny at times and wimpy at times, but other times he seems to like the physicality/rough wrestling we do or his little buddies do (like boys do).

I have big time reservations though about weight cutting. Obviously this isn't a thing in the really young.

Anyway - we're a family with three young kids, so a once a week activity for each kid is plenty. Is it too young to try to dip the toe into a little youth wrestling thing? Maybe I should wait until closer to 8 or something? I know nothing of wrestling other than my uncle wrestled small time college, but I'm too wimpy for it but those guys are some of the best physically fit tough dudes around and I think it may help my sons confidence and he may enjoy it.

My little dude is about to be 5. He's really short but kind of muscular (thanks mom's muscular genes). He likes soccer but really isn't into tossing ball or basketball and really his hand eye coordination isn't great.

I just want him to be happy and do something he'd like to do. Soccer has been such a great thing for him. I *think* he'd like wrestling and I think it would help his confidence (it's really tough being the shortest kid). He can be whiny at times and wimpy at times, but other times he seems to like the physicality/rough wrestling we do or his little buddies do (like boys do).

I have big time reservations though about weight cutting. Obviously this isn't a thing in the really young.

Anyway - we're a family with three young kids, so a once a week activity for each kid is plenty. Is it too young to try to dip the toe into a little youth wrestling thing? Maybe I should wait until closer to 8 or something? I know nothing of wrestling other than my uncle wrestled small time college, but I'm too wimpy for it but those guys are some of the best physically fit tough dudes around and I think it may help my sons confidence and he may enjoy it.

Get him into it. At 5 it’s just about learning small things. The biggest thing at that age is just the sportsmanship wrestling teaches young kids. Most clubs don’t require you to enter tournaments unless you join an elite club. What area do you live in? And weight cutting doesn’t come into play until the teen years

my kid started wrestling at 5, wrestled 2 years. the travel is what got him and probably a reason he never wanted to travel in any other sport. every saturday we were traveling as much as 1.5 to 2 hours away for tournaments. and, that shit was all.fvcking.day.long. and, had to be there typically 7 a.m. he was actually pretty good and i didn't want him to quit, but let him choose. made him finish the 2nd year out.

my kid started wrestling at 5, wrestled 2 years. the travel is what got him and probably a reason he never wanted to travel in any other sport. every saturday we were traveling as much as 1.5 to 2 hours away for tournaments. and, that shit was all.fvcking.day.long. and, had to be there typically 7 a.m. he was actually pretty good and i didn't want him to quit, but let him choose. made him finish the 2nd year out.

This. But depending on your area you live in it typically isn’t that far to travel. In NY an hour was as far as we had to go and in CT not much different. Most tourneys now are round robin which go by quick and are set up two matches per mat, it’s not as long as it used to be

dont worry about cutting weight. The rules have changed, atleast at the high school level, so that there won't be a kid cutting 10-20 lbs in a week. I know we do weight certifications/hydration testing at the beginning of the year measuring specific gravity of urine and body composition with skinfold calipers. That data get plugged into a website that determines the maximum amount of weight a wrestler can lose and by what date

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Get him into it. At 5 it’s just about learning small things. The biggest thing at that age is just the sportsmanship wrestling teaches young kids. Most clubs don’t require you to enter tournaments unless you join an elite club. What area do you live in? And weight cutting doesn’t come into play until the teen years

Thanks for the input.

Travel for weekend stuff is not in the cards; just too hard with three kids all 5 and under.

I live in a moderate sized city in the Southeast (not in WV). There are a few MMA gyms in town that do young kid classes, presumably Jui Jutsu based and I watched videos where it was mainly drills/exercises and a tiny bit of wrestling-ish stuff thrown in.

I'm going to look further into this. I'm not looking for an olympic metal or a college scholarship, just another physical fitness hobby that may boost self confidence.

Thanks for the input.

Travel for weekend stuff is not in the cards; just too hard with three kids all 5 and under.

I live in a moderate sized city in the Southeast (not in WV). There are a few MMA gyms in town that do young kid classes, presumably Jui Jutsu based and I watched videos where it was mainly drills/exercises and a tiny bit of wrestling-ish stuff thrown in.

I'm going to look further into this. I'm not looking for an olympic metal or a college scholarship, just another physical fitness hobby that may boost self confidence.

Good luck and enjoy, it’s an awesome sport

Thanks for the input.

Find a good club that teaches basics and fundamentals at that age. Don't burn them out! No need to take them to a bunch of tournaments at far distances. IF you find the right club, they can have their own little matches for the kids that age or join with a few other local clubs and have some matches in a morning or afternoon.

Great sport. I was not a wrestler but my son was and is fantastic, humbling, and teaches many life lessons. What I noticed is that wrestlers are a brotherhood. You should be able to find a good youth club and ask a lot of questions.

I’m asking due to his years playing baseball. And to ask someone with a kid is a slippery slope given the fact many dads live through their sons, which I try not to. So asking the lone person on here I know played and appreciates the sport is why I asked. As for “sucking up” please.
Sorry buddy I was only kidding. Why of course ask a coach not a parent.

ADVERTISEMENT