ADVERTISEMENT

Right to work

GeauxHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2008
TITM Combat Veteran
Looks like it may finally be coming to WV. I support this. I have never belonged to a union and like the individual bargaining. It also makes it easier for employers to give better raises to employees who actually work harder and less to those that do enough just to get by.

Um, right to work is dead this session, and it is way too early to talk about next year. I know it is at the top of the agenda, but it isn't that easy.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The unions are ruining the city of Chicago. Been here all week. The locals say the city may go into bankruptsy.

Originally posted by i am herdman:
How does wv think it is going to compete with its neighbors?
You mean like Kentucky, without "right to work" (dumbest name for something since "trickle down") yet gaining more manufacturing jobs than many right to work states?

Right to work doesn't solve shit. Tax structure, quality of workforce, and infrastructure are far more important. Fix that stuff first...but hey, that stuff is hard, so WV can focus on something that won't solve shit.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke MU:

You mean like Kentucky, without "right to work" (dumbest name for something since "trickle down") yet gaining more manufacturing jobs than many right to work states?

Right to work doesn't solve shit. Tax structure, quality of workforce, and infrastructure are far more important. Fix that stuff first...but hey, that stuff is hard, so WV can focus on something that won't solve shit.
I was asking a serious question? What is the plan to compete with its neighbors. You gave good answers. My question wasn't necessarily saying right to work was the answer. WV is 40 years or more behind places like the Carolinas and other states in the same region.

Every time I hear "right to work," I think it is the opposite of "at will" because it sounds very pro union/job security.

WV would be a great place for people who are proud of getting by on little money and living a simple life in the country. School, television and pop culture influences clash with this notion. Since school, television and pop culture have made their way into West Virginia, the people are not proud of who they are. As a result, we envy and chase what we're not.

This post was edited on 3/9 11:41 AM by Walden Pond

We have very little land suitable for building infrastructure, and an uneducated unskilled workforce. The tax structure has been fixed, but the others aren't likely to ever be fixed.

Geography is certainly an issue. But there are areas of flat land to work with. The most rugged areas are the least populated.

Educated and skilled workers leave the state. And we are not coming back.

Infrastructure outside of the interstates and corridors is terrible. And not just roads...large areas still on septic and well water, if you fart the power goes out (why Huntington accepts this is beyond me), poor internet in many areas, etc.

Yep, that's why it's a nice place to visit, but it's really a lot harder of a life overall. I see these places in the mountains and can't imagine how much work it is just to keep food in the trailer. Especially in the winter. Places are 40 miles from the store. They're way up on a hill or down in a hole. Imagine that with 2 feet of snow on it. That's tough living right there.

Originally posted by TheLondonBlitz:
Originally posted by GeauxHerd:
Originally posted by alphasig1053:
Do they have the numbers to over ride the governors veto?
House probably does. Senate probably doesnt
Wrong...as usual.
Im going by numbers. There are only 2 split in the Senate. the house gap is much larger And I said probably, did not state it as fact.

I agree with the tax structure. work force etc, but it is also good to let people have a choice if they want to be represented by a union or not. I know that if I worked some place with a union, I would like the option to opt out of it. I know several places have that option but many still do not, as they would try to strong arm you out.

This post was edited on 3/10 9:18 AM by GeauxHerd

Unions used to be a good thing but have evolved into dung. Anyone who thinks a modern union is good is a moron outside the fact you get support in wrongful termination cases (legit ones not the majority which are bs IMO). I know some union workers in auto industry and railroad and they admit they are overpaid and don't work hard. GM union employee Honda isn't yet Honda is > GM still to this day for example. The employees are happier too. People who work for honda, toyota, and even KIA (im not a fan) LOVE working for them. Well toyota has some bad press sometimes for being too anal but it goes back to the asian culture expecting perfection and no failure.

Psst... Yea, you over here... Guess what... WV is basically a right to work State... Just ask Toyota and thier suppliers that have located in Putnam and Kanawha County...

What this is really about is prevailing wage...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT