ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Allen...

Herdon2

Platinum Buffalo
May 15, 2003
Rodney Allen arrested. Unreal. A lot of time between now and start of season. Summer could be long.

Remember doc has maintained marshalls elite work release program... and as long as they can play ball I'm all for it!!

Yea I didn't know about the other charges.

I just don't get the common sense of some people.

Yea I didn't know about the other charges.

I just don't get the common sense of some people.

Hell he could have at least parked the car and tried to hoof it so he didn't get busted while driving. Even Stan Hill could pull that off.

No worries. Doc recently signed two more players:

The first was kicked off of the FAU team. The second was kicked off of Georgia for having two arrests within a short span. The two arrests included two felonies.
Based on your comments, I guess we should have never taken D.J. Hunter either.

Rodriguez did his time at JUCO and hasn't been in any other trouble and will likely be our game 1 starter at RB--he's really good. As for Clay, one of the felonies was have a BB gun (firearm) in the dorms, which is an automatic felony, and the 2nd move was great in that he stole some headphones. At least it wasn't a laptop like Bradshaw. He was greatly punished as he was a future starter for UGA and will now be at MU instead. Talk about a kick in the nuts, and if we hadn't signed him about 20 other G5 schools would have tried so I would rather have him playing for us than against us. He also seems to be humbled by the experience as well based on his comments.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
These are kids yall. Unless he's robbed someone, killed someone etc, he and others are going to make mistakes, bad judgement etc. How many times would you (anyone on here) have failed a sobriety test if you would have actually gotten pulled over while in college, going to your buddies etc. Probably more than you can count. Some of yall need to stop throwing rocks when you live in glass houses.

Reactions: 19MU88 and pdbailey
These are kids yall. Unless he's robbed someone, killed someone etc, he and others are going to make mistakes, bad judgement etc. How many times would you (anyone on here) have failed a sobriety test if you would have actually gotten pulled over while in college, going to your buddies etc. Probably more than you can count. Some of yall need to stop throwing rocks when you live in glass houses.
Ah, the good ol 'he's just a kid' argument. Gotta love it. It's not like he's 24 years old, or has been told his entire god damned life that drinking and driving is wrong and a crime, or that you need a license to drive.

I guess when you play football, you're insulated from the rest of the world and aren't taught what's right or wrong.

No, when you play football all your mistakes get magnified because you are a public figure and that's a hell of a thing for a college aged kid that isn't done making mistakes. I could tell stories on the dumb stuff I did that could have gotten me in trouble 10 times over but was lucky enough not to get caught. These kids aren't going to be so lucky because of who they are.

Again, you're just making excuses for him and forgiving his behavior because "he's a kid". Sorry, but when I was 24 I was being held to a much higher standard than that.

As I said already, he's known his entire life that drinking and driving is terribly wrong. It's not just some lapse in judgement. It kills people, and ruins lives and families. He shouldn't be able to get off light.

Reactions: cottrell75
Dude, im not making excuses for him. He was in the wrong. All I am saying is, what the hell did I know at that stage? I knew right from wrong, but still tested the waters. He may be 24, and yeah he should know better, 18 year old knows better too, still gets in trouble, 18-22 year olds is who he is hanging with so gonna have a similar mentality. Everyone lives a different life, his is different than yours, yours may be different than mine. He may think he is above getting caught because of who he is, he is getting proven wrong, I don't claim to know his frame of mind. All I am saying is unless you were a saint while in school, shouldn't throw rocks.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Dude, im not making excuses for him. He was in the wrong. All I am saying is, what the hell did I know at that stage? I knew right from wrong, but still tested the waters. He may be 24, and yeah he should know better, 18 year old knows better too, still gets in trouble, 18-22 year olds is who he is hanging with so gonna have a similar mentality. Everyone lives a different life, his is different than yours, yours may be different than mine. He may think he is above getting caught because of who he is, he is getting proven wrong, I don't claim to know his frame of mind. All I am saying is unless you were a saint while in school, shouldn't throw rocks.

So he got pulled over cause he had a big sign on his car that identified him as a Herd football player? "I play football so arrest me"? Sort of like the old signs on the someone's back saying "please kick me"!!

For every one of these guys who gets arrested and receives negative pub because he is an athlete, there are probably 5 times as many similar non-athlete same aged "kids" who do the same thing, get caught, and receive a more severe punishment, than the "athlete" that often gets a proverbial "slap on the wrist". It works TWO WAYS!! Not just ONE WAY against the athlete!

So he got pulled over cause he had a big sign on his car that identified him as a Herd football player? "I play football so arrest me"? Sort of like the old signs on the someone's back saying "please kick me"!!

For every one of these guys who gets arrested and receives negative pub because he is an athlete, there are probably 5 times as many similar non-athlete same aged "kids" who do the same thing, get caught, and receive a more severe punishment, than the "athlete" that often gets a proverbial "slap on the wrist". It works TWO WAYS!! Not just ONE WAY against the athlete!
That's not what I was saying either, sheesh. Which one is going to catch the headlines, jimmy who is an econ major on academic scholly, or bubba the football player on athletic scholly? that's what I was referring to. Both get punished by the law either way, but both do not receive the same negative publicity when something happens. It is possible that Bubba "could" get more favorable punishment within the law, but who knows when or if that happens in Huntington, doesn't seem like it does to me.

Based on your comments, I guess we should have never taken D.J. Hunter either.

Sure, you can pick-and-choose "success" stories on an individual basis of kids Marshall took who had been dismissed from and/or arrested while at other programs. If you look at history under Doc, you'll see that there is a high percentage of those reclamation projects turning into issues while at Marshall, leading to dismissal/arrests/ineligibility, in turn, leading to a lack of numbers/talent at those positions.

It is a risk taking those kids. On one hand, you may succeed in getting talented players you may not have had a chance at otherwise. On the other hand, you will get a bunch of questionable characters leading the team (the most talented players usually are the starters, and thus, leaders) creating issues off of the field, in the locker room, and inevitably, leading to poor results on the field.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Most adults that get DUIs do not lose jobs, or career over it.....he should get punished by the courts and our program. move on.

D1 football players are not "most adults." Joe Smith, outside account rep at Xerox, doesn't represent his company when he is arrested for DUI while on vacation in Clearwater, Florida. D1 football player is representing the university, coaches, and program at all times. Joe Smith's arrest will never be seen or heard of by customers of Xerox and will have no impact on the reputation or production of the company. D1 football player's arrest will impact and harm the reputation of the university, coaches, and program.

D1 football players are not "most adults." Joe Smith, outside account rep at Xerox, doesn't represent his company when he is arrested for DUI while on vacation in Clearwater, Florida. D1 football player is representing the university, coaches, and program at all times. Joe Smith's arrest will never be seen or heard of by customers of Xerox and will have no impact on the reputation or production of the company. D1 football player's arrest will impact and harm the reputation of the university, coaches, and program.

What is your point? Should he be dismissed? I agree, he represents the school, that's why I said he should be punished by courts and program.

I would say based on history, one player and his individual arrest has minimal impact on the reputation of school etc. Many programs have arrests for misdemeanor offenses like this and continue to go strong. Now, in aggregate if a school has multiple/numerous arrests then collectively those do impact and harm the school. But, I'm talking about punishment for Mr. Allen, not Doc's record with troubled gets, that's another discussion.

What is your point? Should he be dismissed? I agree, he represents the school, that's why I said he should be punished by courts and program.

My point was to show that your comment about most adults not losing their jobs isn't the same as this. Knowing they will represent the university, program, and coaches at all times, they are different than the account manager at Xerox. Their "job" of playing football is a privilege and should be taken away if they can't handle the responsibility of not tarnishing the name of the university, program, and coaches.

I would say based on history, one player and his individual arrest has minimal impact on the reputation of school etc. Many programs have arrests for misdemeanor offenses like this and continue to go strong. Now, in aggregate if a school has multiple/numerous arrests then collectively those do impact and harm the school.

Yes, one player's indiscretions probably won't have a major impact on the reputation of a school/program. As you said, a collection of indiscretions by players and/or being the soft landing spot for numerous reclamation projects does eventually catch up with a school/program. Marshall is already far beyond that point.

But, I'm talking about punishment for Mr. Allen, not Doc's record with troubled gets, that's another discussion.

It isn't a different discussion. It is the same conversation. When you have an open-door policy for players with indiscretions, it is a sign of being accepting of certain activities. If you're willing to give countless second chances to these transfers, why would current players not conclude that you will also give them second (or third or fourth) chances? The groundwork was laid long ago; screw up big-time, and it is fine, as we will give you at least one other chance.

At some point, after having to dismiss so many players that you have taken gambles on, it is wise to change your strategy when it continues to blow up in your face.

He is just a kid ok, but at some point they are not kids. He is a young man. Not a kid. If a 18 year old private in the military did this their military career would likely be over. Just saying. At some point there is responsibility.

Unless he drive a company car and at some point they run a background check for his job or another job he is working at or applying for. Then, he is done for.

He is just a kid ok, but at some point they are not kids. He is a young man. Not a kid. If a 18 year old private in the military did this their military career would likely be over. Just saying. At some point there is responsibility.
I don't disagree, not a good example though. Military life vs. college life.... he's still in college, he's going to live like a college kid.

Sure, you can pick-and-choose "success" stories on an individual basis of kids Marshall took who had been dismissed from and/or arrested while at other programs. If you look at history under Doc, you'll see that there is a high percentage of those reclamation projects turning into issues while at Marshall, leading to dismissal/arrests/ineligibility, in turn, leading to a lack of numbers/talent at those positions.

It is a risk taking those kids. On one hand, you may succeed in getting talented players you may not have had a chance at otherwise. On the other hand, you will get a bunch of questionable characters leading the team (the most talented players usually are the starters, and thus, leaders) creating issues off of the field, in the locker room, and inevitably, leading to poor results on the field.

Says the former coach who last 3 teams he has coached at are known to take in a few reclamation projects of their own. Shit you even coached at a school that took in a player who robbed people in his WVU sweats.

Shit when you was at Marshall, you shared the locker room with a few reclamation projects.

Eh not really

Says the former coach who last 3 teams he has coached at are known to take in a few reclamation projects of their own. Shit you even coached at a school that took in a player who robbed people in his WVU sweats.

Shit when you was at Marshall, you shared the locker room with a few reclamation projects.

What is your obsession with me? Why do you try making every single conversation to be about me?

I don't post here for a year, yet you make multiple posts about me. I don't post/read the premium board, yet you make multiple posts about me there. I make posts on here that have nothing to do with me, yet you very frequently try turning the discussion to be about me. I don't have Twitter, yet you tweet a dozen comments about me. I don't have Twitter, yet you direct tweet to multiple coaches fabricating stories about me.

Your obsession with me is embarrassing for you.

My last three schools are known to have taken a few reclamation projects of their own? Really, name me all of the "reclamation projects" ACU brought in; name me which players were kicked off of an FBS or another FCS that ACU took in. Hell, they couldn't even get a stud Baylor RB accepted who played down the street. Years before me, they took a 5* running back transfer from Oklahoma State who had been dismissed. He didn't live up to expectations on the field, but he was no issue on or off the field for them. He earned his degree and is now a GA at an FBS.

How about North Texas? Name me the reclamation projects that North Texas took in.

Cookman, as an FCS with lower academic requirements, took two dismissed players from Miami. They both started and both earned their degrees while having absolutely no off-field problems. They also took in the wvu player you mentioned after vetting him thoroughly. He also was not a problem, accepted his role as a backup player, and earned his degree.

So, not only is your claim false, but the very few times it has happened at three schools have all worked out. On the other hand, there seems to be a vetting issue at Marshall, since many of their reclamation projects seem to fail which hurts the depth chart, hurts the talent level, gives the university a bad reputation, and calls into question if the football program is just trying to get kids in because they can play football or because they really think they are kids who deserve another chance and can be helped.

What is your obsession with me? Why do you try making every single conversation to be about me?

I don't post here for a year, yet you make multiple posts about me. I don't post/read the premium board, yet you make multiple posts about me there. I make posts on here that have nothing to do with me, yet you very frequently try turning the discussion to be about me. I don't have Twitter, yet you tweet a dozen comments about me. I don't have Twitter, yet you direct tweet to multiple coaches fabricating stories about me.

My last three schools are known to have taken a few reclamation projects of their own? Really, name me all of the "reclamation projects" ACU brought in; name me which players were kicked off of an FBS or another FCS that ACU took in. Hell, they couldn't even get a stud Baylor RB accepted who played down the street. Years before me, they took a 5* running back transfer from Oklahoma State who had been dismissed. He didn't live up to expectations on the field, but he was no issue on or off the field for them. He earned his degree and is now a GA at an FBS.

How about North Texas? Name me the reclamation projects that North Texas took in.

Cookman, as an FCS with lower academic requirements, took two dismissed players from Miami. They both started and both earned their degrees while having absolutely no off-field problems. They also took in the wvu player you mentioned after vetting him thoroughly. He also was not a problem, accepted his role as a backup player, and earned his degree.

So, not only is your claim false, but the very few times it has happened at three schools have all worked out. On the other hand, there seems to be a vetting issue at Marshall, since many of their reclamation projects seem to fail which hurts the depth chart, hurts the talent level, gives the university a bad reputation, and calls into question if the football program is just trying to get kids in because they can play football or because they really think they are kids who deserve another chance and can be helped.

I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph.
PD to comment in 3, 2, 1.............................

As an outsider looking in...the stalking job is a bit weird.

ADVERTISEMENT