San Diego Roll Call

Herd Fever

Platinum Buffalo
Sep 25, 2008
Who is coming?
Where to stay?
What to do?
Is it worth bringing my passport?

Ask your questions here and I will get back to you.

1. See you there....

See you there

2. Downtown is super cool, but a bit of a drive to SDSU campus and traffic can be horrendous in the morning... 30-60 minutes depending on traffic (about 15 miles)... Best Western Lamplighter is closest to the arena. Hotel Circle on Interstate 8 (that THE 8 for us Socalers) has a million choices and is about 15-20 minutes away.

You can stay Downtown and hop on the Trolley that will take you straight to SDSU campus and Viejas. Parking is horrendous by SDSU and Downtown. For those driving in, You can park at Qualcomm and take the Trolley to SDSU.

3. GasLamp District is super cool... great restaurants, cool nightlife... if you're bringing the family, there is always SeaWorld (without the Shamoo show now) and LegoLand is about 45 minutes away in Carlsbad. Phenomenal golf all over the place (Riverwalk Golf Club is public, right in the center of everything, and is always in pretty good shape) - Torrey Pines if you want to spend some $$$ is relatively easy to get onto. Coronado Island famous hotel (very pricey) just across the bridge on Coronado Island... Probably one of the best zoos in the country but bring your walking shoes... and you can't go wrong with a tour of the USS Midway.

Gaslamp is the best bet for anyone who is visiting. Take the Saturday to visit Coronado. I would recommend. The city is very easy to maneuver.

4. Do not bring your passport... you do not want to go to Tijuana - it is not safe at all. If we were talking about 1987 I would say DEFINITELY bring your passport - but in 2018 - NO WAY!!!!

Its not that bad, just like any other city if you are looking for Trouble, you can find it. If you are looking for a good time, you can find that too. If you have no business in the Barrios then you are fine. Im over there or in Rosarito atleast once a month and never have problems.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
See you there

You can stay Downtown and hop on the Trolley that will take you straight to SDSU campus and Viejas. Parking is horrendous by SDSU and Downtown. For those driving in, You can park at Qualcomm and take the Trolley to SDSU.

Gaslamp is the best bet for anyone who is visiting. Take the Saturday to visit Coronado. I would recommend. The city is very easy to maneuver.

Its not that bad, just like any other city if you are looking for Trouble, you can find it. If you are looking for a good time, you can find that too. If you have no business in the Barrios then you are fine. Im over there or in Rosarito atleast once a month and never have problems.

Come out to San Diego and meet me and my wife face to face.

FEVER glad you & wife
will be carrying the HERD banner...The HERD will need a lot of support to SHOCK the Shockers....lead by ex-HerdCoaches===Head-Greg Marshall & Assistant, Donnie Jones.

Go HERD.....Shock the Basketball WORLD.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: chuck1069
@Chris McLaughlin

Cleaning up the thread because there is good info here for Herd fans traveling west.

I will say this, though - you called him out in your original OP. Kinda asked for it.

Anyways, back on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I'm going to miss my first Marshall NCAA game ever. My girlfriend is having surgery early Monday morning. Tough to justify going there to only attend one day of the tournament. I could have gone if this were a Thursday-Saturday event,
Now, if we move to the Sweet 16, that is a different matter.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I'm afraid I'm going to miss my first Marshall NCAA game ever. My girlfriend is having surgery early Monday morning. Tough to justify going there to only attend one day of the tournament. I could have gone if this were a Thursday-Saturday event,
Now, if we move to the Sweet 16, that is a different matter.

Just go for the first round game. That's what I think I'm going to end up doing.

If any Herd basketball fan on earth deserves to be in that arena when we play Friday morning, it's you.

Sounds like you have better info on TJ... prior experiences haven't been all that great - so I'm definitely biased against going across the border.

Usually when me and my wife go, we go to the restaurant/nightclub district or Playas.

We usually walk across then Uber wherever we need to go.

Why are you getting tickets now? There will be scalpers and you can get them cheaper on the street

I want to go so bad. I was online pricing airfare last night. But I went from a two week long teacher's strike and the day we went back I headed to Texas. I come back Sunday and Monday was a snow day. I just don't think I can come back after a month, work two days and then take off Thursday, Friday, and the following Monday. My wife and I just can't pull that off. But man...I want to go so bad. Anywhere but on the other side of the country.

Just go for the first round game. That's what I think I'm going to end up doing.

If any Herd basketball fan on earth deserves to be in that arena when we play Friday morning, it's you.
I have been to all the Herd NCAA games except the first one in the 50's. The string will end. Hoping for Boston next week,

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Safe travels, my man. Have fun.

Thanks, will do. Sold my soul to the director and will be picking up two extra night shifts to get Saturday off but it will be worth it.

Taking my dad with me. He’s 65 and I’m 36. To put it into perspective, he was younger than me (35) the last time we went to the NCAA tournament

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Any idea how many fans we will have? I'm guessing not a whole lot considering the time frame and cost to get to CA.

The girlfriend and I will be driving down from Vegas bright and early in the morning and then staying Friday night. Go Herd!

10:30 game

Take the 215 around the back way of Inland Empire back to the 15......skip all the traffic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT