SB Nation: 2018’s projected 130-team college football rankings

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
Reactions: CarolinaHerdzilla
Not surprised by UAB (their transition halo disappears this year), but WKU and USM are predicted to be bad this year? That's surprising. And MTSU with Stockstill at QB, 83 seems low.

And, no respect for C-USA as 3 of the bottom 5 are from our conference...126 Charlotte, 128 Rice,
and 130 UTEP.

FIU is dealing with a QB change, as well as WKU. They may take a step back like ODU did last year. MTSU graduated some key players and one left for NFL in the receiving corps. I don't think FIU is 120ish, I feel they should be in the 80-90 range. The others are arguable. Rice, UNCC, and UTEP definitely deserve where they are.

And, no respect for C-USA as 3 of the bottom 5 are from our conference...126 Charlotte, 128 Rice,
and 130 UTEP.

TRUTH hurts sometimes
. I believe Lambert [Charlotte] is on the hot seat when a new AD is selected to replace retiring Judy Rose.

Zilla22 in Charlotte

Last edited:
and 130 UTEP.

Happy to see Marshall.....recognized near the Top of the C-USA heap (#62)....FAU (#31). I am not surprised to see the Gamecocks at (# 35) and NC State predicted (# 37). These two games will impact our ranking quite a bit next season. I predict The Herd wins a close game in Huntington (the Wolfpack)...loses by 10+ in Columbia (Cocks).

September is a difficult month for The HERD....three road games. Come Oct 1....MU could smell like a ROSE---hopefully not like Dandelions.

Going forward...it will be La Tech visiting Marshall in the CUSA Championship tilt.

Zilla22

Last edited:
Reactions: 31Herd55
Our commissioner will be asked about her thoughts on C-USA being ranked so badly by media outlets and if she plans to address this. To which she reminds everyone she's the first female commissioner in the NCAA.

The rankings are about right. Most of these schools are filler.
UAB and Charlotte need to get rid of football and focus on being good at basketball.
Its going to be hard convincing UAB alumni to donate a second round when your stadium is crap, barely 1/3 full, and your practice facility looks like a glorified pavillion for church picnics you'd find in Ritter Park.
Charlotte seriously needs to just stop. They should have been given a time table for success, considering market and money, and simply put, they've monumentally failed to build any product.

The only surprise was FAU, however, I feel its because of Lane's past of jumping ship, they don't feel Lane's head is still with FAU. FAU doesn't really care. Their standards are about to vanish with Kiffin...with a solid 3 coaches in 5 years payment plan in place from the buyout they are hoping Kiffin gets.
However, if he doesn't, FAU will be stuck with a coach constantly looking past Boca Raton and hoping for something more...maybe winning a decent 8 games a season.

As for us? Yeah, thats a fair starting spot. We have new coordinators, a new QB, and some returning weapons. Thats it. Our OOC determines quite a bunch for us, however if Spring ball gets as competitive as its anticipated by some on here, we will be in secure shape...and a dark horse for the Access Bowl.

FIU is dealing with a QB change, as well as WKU. They may take a step back like ODU did last year. MTSU graduated some key players and one left for NFL in the receiving corps. I don't think FIU is 120ish, I feel they should be in the 80-90 range. The others are arguable. Rice, UNCC, and UTEP definitely deserve where they are.
And, we too are dealing with a QB change...but, on the positive side of change, we get a new OC...
Now if Doc just steps aside to let the man work his magic.

Happy to see Marshall.....recognized at the Top of the C-USA heap (#62). I am not surprised to see the Gamecocks at (# 35) and NC State predicted (# 37). These two games will impact our ranking quite a bit next season. I predict The Herd wins a close game in Huntington (the Wolfpack)...loses by 10+ in Columbia (Cocks).

September is a difficult month for The HERD....three road games. Come Oct 1....MU could smell like a ROSE---hopefully not like Dandelions.

Going forward...it will be La Tech visiting Marshall in the CUSA Championship tilt.

Zilla22
Did you miss FAU @ the #31 spot, which qualifies them as being at the Top of the C-USA Heap.

Even at that, we do get them in The Joan on Oct. 20. Good Times Ahead.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Did you miss FAU @ the #31 spot, which qualifies them as being at the Top of the C-USA Heap.

Even at that, we do get them in The Joan on Oct. 20. Good Times Ahead.

31Herd55...looks like I scrolled too quickly
that I miss FAU (#31).....My bad. I still stand by my prediction it will beThe HERD hosting La Tech in the Title match.

Zilla22

And, we too are dealing with a QB change...but, on the positive side of change, we get a new OC...
Now if Doc just steps aside to let the man work his magic.

I think he will. I bet that was part of the new OC's hiring. Legg's offenses weren't terrible by any means but it certainly wasn't special.

the only thing this poll shows me is that we are starting to get a little bit of respect back. I think last year just about everyone had us in the 90's.

Reactions: 31Herd55
and 130 UTEP.

Those teams deserve to be where they are... It will be interesting to see what happens at UAB over the next five years as the influx of funds dwindles and they are back in the position they were pre-shutdown. As long as Bama's board is pulling the strings in that state they are perennially on the chopping block, especially once the "feel good story" is over.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Difference is that UAB is in a state with other "legitimate" power schools unlike MU who shares the state with a "power wannabe"!!

UAB is actually part of the University of Alabama system...if I am not mistaken. That means much of their actions have to go through the UA BoG, which is headed by numbnuts Bear Bryant Jr.
MU USED to be in somewhat of the same situation, back when they had to go to the state legislature (overrun by wvu law grads) to get approval for funding for anything, and often got rejected.
Thank God they've done away with it since it hindered about 40 years of progress for MU.

UAB is actually part of the University of Alabama system...if I am not mistaken. That means much of their actions have to go through the UA BoG, which is headed by numbnuts Bear Bryant Jr.
MU USED to be in somewhat of the same situation, back when they had to go to the state legislature (overrun by wvu law grads) to get approval for funding for anything, and often got rejected.
Thank God they've done away with it since it hindered about 40 years of progress for MU.

That is correct... Imagine if MU's leadership had to drive up to Morgantown to ask for anything and everything in their budget. That is what UAB has to do. Head on up to Tuscaloosa every year to talk money, athletics and otherwise, so when the renewed vigor coming from boosters ends (and it will) they will have to go back to begging and Bama will hold the rope to the guillotine.

Not so fast, my friend. The current system still has a lot of roadblocks and obstacles for Marshall, built in by the WVU dominated legislature, First of all, the MU Board of Governors is very limited and, frankly, hamstrung, in and by its inability to have sufficient bonding capacity for capital projects. For major building projects MU has to rely on the Higher Ed Policy Commission who in turn has to get approval from, surprise, surprise, the Legislature to issue bonds for major capital projects at MU and other state colleges NOT located in Morganhole!!

That's why you have not seen any major new construction on the MU campus in the last couple of years and probably won't see any for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, a completely different story. WVU's Board of Governors approves a new building project, the project proceeds quickly to construction since that board has, apparently, the ability to issue bonds WITHOUT further jumping through hoops and getting further approval from other state entities!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT