ADVERTISEMENT

Schools Battle To Attract CFB Fans

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
From mega videoboards to beach-theme club seats, schools battle to attract college football fans

Matt MurschelOrlando Sentinel

Attendance at college football games last season was down slightly, with about 1,000 few fans per home game. The national average was 44,190 fans per game, according to the NCAA. It's the largest single season decrease in more than a decade and the third year in the past four that saw a dip.

In the state of Florida, only Florida State saw an increase in attendance.

Florida, Miami, UCF, South Florida, FAU and FIU all followed national decline trends. For the Gators, it was the fifth straight year the school failed to stop attendance numbers from sliding.

Auburn remains one of a handful of schools where attendance remains steadfast.

Last season, the Tigers averaged more than 87,451 fans at its seven home games — 2,000 fans more per game than the previous season.

Even so, Jacobs knows repeat customers are the lifeblood of any good business and enhancing a fan's experience on game day can go a long way in making sure they'll be back for the next one...

LINK

Thank you Vizio, Samsung and all the other flat screen TV makers. I love the atmosphere at every college football stadium I've ever been to. There's nothing like it, but America would rather sit in front of their oversized HDTV and watch games. I admit, I love it too, but I think that, along with the economy which still hasn't fully recovered, is to blame.

I think you'll start to see more and improved fan amenities start to pop-up around CFB if these updates prove to reverse the downward trend of ticket sales.

Still probably take a couple more years to trickle down to our level. The amenities at JCE Stadium aren't much different from what they were in the early 90s. We not only have to battle the couch, but the West Lot too.

And FSU only increased because they were coming off a National Championship and had a nice home schedule (Clemson, Notre Dame, and Florida). Look for the numbers to go back down this season.

FSU is currently looking at reseating the stadium (fewer, but wider seats). They're also creating a Champions Club Level. Finally, next season they're supposed to be changing their seating practices. Bigger donors will get priority over long time, lesser donors. Thanks for your years of loyalty but we're gonna squeeze you out because John Doe is going to the front of the line with his substantial donation.

I gave up my season tickets several years ago and might go to 1 or 2 games a season. The game day atmosphere has given way to technology and comfort. Not to mention clean restrooms and beer on demand.

Colleges will have to start offering a very good game day and family experience if they want their attendance numbers to hold steady. Its more than just watching a game these days. Its about being entertained and getting a good experience for the discretionary dollars spent. Unfortunately in our area, those dollars are very limited.
College football is my favorite sport to watch, in person or on tv. Nothing else competes with the experience. jmo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT