ADVERTISEMENT

Self firing gun

A colleague of mine had a son who was on a college rifle team. He was showing me the custom rife he used in competition and I was amazed at the lightness of the trigger pull. You could almost breathe on the trigger and it would go off.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
A colleague of mine had a son who was on a college rifle team. He was showing me the custom rife he used in competition and I was amazed at the lightness of the trigger pull. You could almost breathe on the trigger and it would go off.
I’m sure the movie weapons were equally altered to have a very easy pull

Reactions: greengeezer
correct me if I am wrong but aren't most classic "western style" revolvers double action, meaning cock the hammer and squeeze?

Reactions: Jartard
Freakin’ liar. How hard is it to just say you thought it was a prop gun and move on. Jesus.
Legally, since it was his production, if he thought it was a prop gun he had the ultimate responsibility to make sure it wasn’t, so he could still be on the hook.

If the gun was faulty, though, he wouldn’t be.

It’s legal posturing.

correct me if I am wrong but aren't most classic "western style" revolvers double action, meaning cock the hammer and squeeze?
that is single action, original revolvers' from the western days were single action meaning you have to pull the hammer back first before firing.

when you have to cock the hammer and then squeeze the trigger, it is single action. double action means you can do that or you can squeeze the trigger which will draw the hammer back and fire.

here you go, a good description:

SINGLE ACTION

We’ll begin with Single Action because this is where firearms got their start historically speaking. Using the technical definition of Single Action, black powder rifles and muskets that predate revolvers were single-action where the shooter had to manually pull the hammer back before pulling the trigger. So it’s easy to understand that in regards to revolvers, single-action means that one trigger pull equals one fired round, and that’s it. The shooter then has to cock the hammer to be able to fire the next round.

If you’ve seen any old western films that depict showdowns at high noon then you’ll recognize these revolvers as usually being single-action where the shooter had to pull the hammer back before firing each round. The benefit of a single-action firearm is that the trigger pull is both light and short. This allows you to squeeze the round off without having to exert much force through your hand which could affect your accuracy. Due to this benefit, many people find single-action triggers to be easier to shoot and a smoother experience. The downside is that if you are using a single-action revolver you will need to cock the hammer before every single shot.

Single Action semi-automatics are still the same as far as 1 trigger pull = 1 fired shot and needing to have the hammer manually pulled back before the first shot, but they differ from single-action revolvers in that the recoil from the fired round will cock the hammer for follow-up shots. This allows the shooter to remove the step of having to manually pull the hammer back before each shot which allows for subsequent shots to be put down range quicker than with a single action revolver. Due to the light trigger pull of single action, many people who have trouble with the heavier pull of double actions find these firearms much easier to shoot because the trigger pulls don’t require them to exert their hands as much.

DOUBLE ACTION

With double-action triggers, the difference between revolvers and semi-automatics become more apparent because of how follow up shots are handled.

A double-action revolver will have a trigger that both cocks the hammer and releases it in one pull and this will occur for every shot unless the hammer is pulled back manually before the shot. If the double action is used every time with the revolver, then the trigger will be uniform and the same pull length and weight with every shot. This allows the shooter to grow accustomed to the trigger quicker because it’s going to behave the same way every time it is pulled.

However, with most double-action semi-automatics, they are built to be DA/SA which is Double-Action to Single-Action. This means that the first round fired will be a double-action trigger pull, where the trigger both cocks the hammer and releases it in one pull, and then every follow-up shot will be single action. The way this works is that the firing of the round causes recoil which pushes the slide back, ejects the spent casing and chambers a new round. At the same time though, this recoil is resetting the hammer and arming it for the next shot, so the shooter does not have to cock the hammer manually or revert back to double-action trigger pulls again. This allows all shots from the 2nd onward to be shorter and lighter single-action pulls.

There are some firearms that are DAO (Double Action Only) but you will not run across them all too often in the semi-automatic world. Just understand that any semi-auto that states it is DAO means that every trigger pull will be double action. That is, heavy and long because it is doing both actions as described above.

Legally, since it was his production, if he thought it was a prop gun he had the ultimate responsibility to make sure it wasn’t, so he could still be on the hook.

If the gun was faulty, though, he wouldn’t be.

It’s legal posturing.
that is what he was doing, he could face criminal and civil action. Criminally probably going to get him on negligence of some sort. There was a history on that set of firearms problems and safety issues.

Of course the family is going to sue his pants off.

Probably to help gain sympathy from the general public. Which, for Alec Baldwin, would be a difficult task.
That doesn't make sense. I'm going to guess there's footage of this somewhere, from someone on set that could conclusively prove this one way or the other. Unless he's 100% telling the truth, why would you put this out knowing lawsuits are forthcoming.

I really have mixed feelings on this tragedy. You supposedly hire competent people
to be sure weapons on set are safe, but on the other hand, no responsible person picks up a firearm without checking it.
Recently, I was helping a friend with a building project when we took a break to drive out for lunch.
As we got in his vehicle, he asked me what I thought of his new handgun resting in one of the cup holders.
I carefully picked up the revolver, aimed it downward, and observed the chambers.
“This gun is loaded,” I said.
“Yes, it is,” he replied.

Note: My friend has all legal gun permits including conceal carry.

Is it possible for the mechanism on a cocked revolver to fail and the gun fire? Yes. Especially an antique with no safety. This does not mean he is not full of shit.

I've also been told those old single action revolvers were designed that when the hammer was not cocked the pin was resting on the cartridge.

Is it possible for the mechanism on a cocked revolver to fail and the gun fire? Yes. Especially an antique with no safety. This does not mean he is not full of shit.

I've also been told those old single action revolvers were designed that when the hammer was not cocked the pin was resting on the cartridge.
It wasn’t an antique it was a replica

Baldwin is probably suffering some PTS symptoms and may legitimately not remember squeezing the trigger. That's fine and very common.

Suggesting that weapon dropped the pin without a trigger squeeze is ridiculous. Especially if it really was used in a previous live fire.

Reactions: i am herdman
Baldwin is probably suffering some PTS symptoms and may legitimately not remember squeezing the trigger. That's fine and very common.

Suggesting that weapon dropped the pin without a trigger squeeze is ridiculous. Especially if it really was used in a previous live fire.
I think it was cocked and he grabbed it and pulled the trigger. Maybe doesn't remember. Now why was a live round in it? Somebody screwed up. I am wondering if they had a practice of using live shells ans someone removes the bullet ans this one was missed.

I think it was cocked and he grabbed it and pulled the trigger. Maybe doesn't remember. Now why was a live round in it? Somebody screwed up. I am wondering if they had a practice of using live shells ans someone removes the bullet ans this one was missed.
Didn’t it come out that some crew members were off firing the guns for fun before the scene?

There are reports that that particular gun had two misfires earlier during filming, I don’t think they were that same day, but if that’s true then Baldwin, the armorer and directors are in a world of hurt regarding negligence

Crazy how the weapon didn’t fire any other time besides the time it was supposed to fire. That was a pretty damn precise accident. If you believe that, George Strait has some property to sell you.

Crazy how the weapon didn’t fire any other time besides the time it was supposed to fire. That was a pretty damn precise accident. If you believe that, George Strait has some property to sell you.
Except there are reports that it had misfires throughout shooting of the film

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
With the advances in computer technology, I’m surprised they even use blanks anymore. Just have the actors pretend to shoot then put in CGI muzzle flashes and sound post production.

If he gets away with this, I need to be on the phone to be a worker or whatever on his next movie. Wonder about the details of the guy who died. Instant?

I was behind a Jeep Cherokee this evening that killed a deer on impact. Damn, that was something. I did that before with my '05 Buick LeSabre. I don't want to dent up my queery new Maxima though.

Except there are reports that it had misfires throughout shooting of the film
So then he knowingly pointed a loaded, faulty weapon at someone? Not sure how that makes it any better. He’s guilty as fvck.

Still baffles me why live ammo was on the set. Also, how the hell do three people handle that gun - two of whom said it wasn't loaded - and didn't see it was actually loaded.

It wasn’t an antique it was a replica
If it is an exact replica it might as well be an antique. The point is firearm design has come a LONG way.

Now why was a live round in it? Somebody screwed up.
That's the real problem. Just plain stupid to have live ammo on a film set.
With the advances in computer technology, I’m surprised they even use blanks anymore. Just have the actors pretend to shoot then put in CGI muzzle flashes and sound post production.
CGI costs more than blanks.

006_jpg-2681142.JPG

Oh, good! It's the time of day where KYJelly bumps threads from over a year ago by posting a bunch of memes that elicit no laughter nor response from anyone.

Your constant attempts of these is almost as good as when you through a temper tantrum when you were new here, because nobody would respond to any of the threads you created.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT