ADVERTISEMENT

SHR: Greenbrier Classic rumor

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
The PGA is reworking its schedule, starting in 2019. ESPN is reporting that the Greenbrier Classic is being asked to move to the fall. Schedule will be announced sometime next year.

Considering the amount of state resources used for events, and who the governor is, this probably means that MU (and more certainly WVU) can just X-out one weekend every fall as far as ever hosting a home game. This could complicate some of the deals MH has in hand.

PGA is shifting a lot of tourneys. The PGA will be played earlier next year and a few years thereafter. The Players is going back to March. A few others will be impacted, the Greenbrier being one.

The goal is to have the Fed Ex wrapped up before the heart of football season and not compete with that.

Reactions: putnam green
GBC won't exist in five years, Justice already got what he wanted. He wasn't spending $7-$13 million a year of his own money trying to make West Virginia look good.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Can't hurt Herd football anymore than what attendance is now anyway. I don't play or watch golf but I do watch the Herd - good or bad.

As a Republican or Democrat?

Honestly, if the purpose of the Greenbrier Classic is to be a big commercial for our state, then seeing the course with the leaves changing colors would look even better.

I wouldn't rule out independent.

I agree as well and also they are bringing back the concerts series too. The acts will be a lil cheaper late in the fall. I think it could work.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I've read that attendance was down this year, moving to the fall will hurt it even more. I've also read that in football season CBS will not be televising. Thus, the national TV exposure would diminish considerably.
The field would be smaller because the lack of daylight hours. They get very few BIG name golfers now, that would also diminish.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
NBC and CBS rotate shares of the PGA schedule. The tournaments during NFL season are on NBC. That is no issue.

During the fall, the leaves will be beautiful and the weather much cooler. That is not only not an issue but probably a positive.

The deal is they are restructuring the entire PGA schedule. On a calendar year basis, it will work something like this. Start after New Years in warm states, and work your way north, with the largest events (the Players, the four Majors, the WGCs, and the tournaments associated with the great players (Palmer, Nelson, Nicklaus) and the other larger tournaments all played from mid-March - late July.) Then would come the four week "playoffs" in August, ending on Labor Day. Then the next year's season would start, so the 19 Greenbrier Classic would really be a part of the 20 season. The best players normally skip the "fall series" so you get lesser fields. The big time USA players rest or play for money in Asia; the Austrailians, Asians, and Europeans go home because their tours have big events in the fall. You end up with guys that are 150th in the rankings playing, and directly against the NFL.

The field is already pretty weak, aside from the guys who have ties to Greenbrier (Mickelson, Watson, Snedeker, etc.), so moving to the wraparound season would not hurt that aspect of the event... What would hurt is if the entire event, even Sunday, were only shown on the Golf Channel.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
The field is already pretty weak, aside from the guys who have ties to Greenbrier (Mickelson, Watson, Snedeker, etc.), so moving to the wraparound season would not hurt that aspect of the event... What would hurt is if the entire event, even Sunday, were only shown on the Golf Channel.

Good to see your name pop up over here again. Been awhile!

This was going to be part of my response as well. Though a lot of this depends on what the new season order looks like.

Justice seems committed enough to make it a marquis event and maybe even a destination fall event.

Olen and I were talking about this yesterday.

I think a Fall event would actually be better for the GBC than its current date.
A big problem with Fall date (besides Golf Channel only coverage - even more diminished field - competing with school sports/college football) is Volunteers! Many volunteers are school teachers/administrators who would not be taking a week's vacation to volunteer?

I volunteered this year, I'm not either one of those, but a lot of the volunteers were retirees... not many I worked with took time off to volunteer there.

Last edited:
I agree as well and also they are bringing back the concerts series too. The acts will be a lil cheaper late in the fall. I think it could work.
I doubt they will have a concert series. Jim still owes for the acts have come in the past, no one wants to book if they know they wont be paid!!

Believe or not, that's what they paid my wife's grandfather to get out and vote Democratic back in the 40's and 50'S in Logan Co.

Ahh, TwolfHerdfan, that brings back some memories. In 1960 presidential election, my boy scout troupe in McDowell County had a project where we gave out hot coffee at some local polling sites. A deputy sheriff that I and my fellow scouting buddy both knew came to the site where we were serving coffee. After giving him a cup, he went to his big, white deputy sheriff's car and opened the trunk. Several cases of half pint whiskey bottles were clearly in view. The deputy then pulled out a "wad" of cash from a pocket, peeled through the bills for a minute or so, until he finally found a "single" which he then gave to us scouts as a "tip".

Elections in heavily Democratic Southern WV back in the day. You couldn't beat it!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT