ADVERTISEMENT

Smart Football vs Style Points

JudgeDD

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2010
Marshall football, just like every other program from high school to the NFL, practices a 2-Minute Offense and a 4-Minute Offense. With the lead, there are smart tactics that can burn clock, and help secure a victory. But there is a reason it is called a 4-Minute Offense. Stretching it to 5, or even 6, minutes is not always advised. Marshall took it to a new level on Saturday when they extended it to 13 Minutes - roughly the entire 4th Quarter.

Forget the "we should have stomped them," and "we owed/I hate Western Kentucky," and even "scoring points puts fans in the stands." Running a 4-Minute Offense with 13 minutes to play and a two TD lead is just not smart football. And it almost cost us the game. Again, forget what it looks like to dominate a team for most of the game and only win by a score. It's really more about allowing a team that never should have been there, the opportunity to be within striking distance at the end of the game.

I am rarely critical of our coaching staff. I've coached a long time, and I know how easy it is to second-guess decisions from the stands. But I am frustrated this week. Whether I agreed with the play-calling for the first three quarters or not, it did result in a comfortable margin, and I can live with that. But it's hard to get on board with putting the win in jeopardy by milking the clock for an entire quarter.

Last edited:
Marshall football, just like every other program from high school to the NFL, practices a 2-Minute Offense and a 4-Minute Offense. With the lead, there are smart tactics that can burn clock, and help secure a victory. But there is a reason it is called a 4-Minute Offense. Stretching it to 5, or even 6, minutes is not always advised. Marshall took it to a new level on Saturday when they extended it to 13 Minutes - roughly the entire 4th Quarter.

Forget the "we should have stomped them," and "we owed/I hate Western Kentucky," and even "scoring points puts fans in the stands." Running a 4-Minute Offense with 13 minutes to play and a two TD lead is just not smart football. And it almost cost us the game. Again, forget what it looks like to dominate a team for most of the game and only win by a score. It's really more about allowing a team that never should have been there, the opportunity to be within striking distance at the end of the game.

I am rarely critical of our coaching staff. I've coach a long time, and I know how easy it is to second-guess decisions from the stands. But I am frustrated this week. Whether I agreed with the play-calling for the first three quarters or not, it did result in a comfortable margin, and I can live with that. But it's hard to get on board with putting the win in jeopardy by milking the clock for an entire quarter.

We milked the clock for the entire 2nd half.

I am rarely critical of our coaching staff. I've coached a long time, and I know how easy it is to second-guess decisions from the stands. But I am frustrated this week. Whether I agreed with the play-calling for the first three quarters or not, it did result in a comfortable margin, and I can live with that. But it's hard to get on board with putting the win in jeopardy by milking the clock for an entire quarter.

This is my thought exactly... I don't know why we go into a shell if we have a lead in the second half (and we have done it multiple times this season). I'm not the kind of fan that is any more or less interested if we win 60-45 versus 13-10, but getting a three-touchdown lead and then desperately trying to not blow it for 12-plus minutes is not good game planning.

Gee guys I did not know we played “smart” football nor did I realize we need “style points.” Gosh I thought you just match our eleven against the opposing eleven and see who had scored the most points at the end of the game and/or overtime. Style points? Don’t believe Legg has a play that earns us any “style” points.

Judge, that is a very good post. I’ve been a member on here for many many years, and a Marshall fan for over 50. I’ve never posted before but couldn’t resist because while your post was critical it was done so in a very constructive manner. Also, I agree with your conclusion. Thanks again good post.

I agree with everything said previously but in this game someone mentioned that they may have gone into a shell because Chase, who had not been very reliable the past two games, with both starting receivers out it would be dangerous. I think you could see on at least two drives in the second half Litton was throwing a back shoulder pass to get a first down but in one case Obi and the other Johnson ran flies up the sideline. You can see they were not on the same page. That being said I still don't understand why a reliable player like Yurachek consistently runs out patterns short of first down yardage. This happens in every game. Saturday we had a third and 5 in the fourth quarter that could've kept a drive alive and burn more clock but he ran a three yard out and we punted. We need to know down and distance and i expect more from a player like Yurachek. He is so smart and reliable in just about every other facet of his game.

Reactions: ohio herd
Judge, and others, why are you guys surprised by our O philosophy in the 4th Quarter?

Essentially playing "not to lose" instead of "playing to win" has been Doc's mantra since Day 1 at MU. How many saw the ot loss to WVU in 2010? Down a couple scores with about 8-9 minutes to go, WVU got a Herd fumble near their goal line. Doc and Rippon went into a prevent D, put no pressure on Geno Smith, who then proceeded to shred our D. On O, we went into a shell, tried to eat clock before giving the ball back to the EERS. Result: they tied it up, and then won in ot when we missed a FG.

8 seasons and Doc is still playing the same way, as the WKU game showed.

Reactions: Marine03
ADVERTISEMENT