ADVERTISEMENT

smoker grilles

You guys are savages. Probably never clean your coffee makers either.

Nope. I clean the coffee pot. I'm not THAT trashy.

True story. When i was in high school and undergrad, i was on the volunteer fire department. They had a Bunn that was probably 10 years old when i joined. Coffee pot had never been cleaned. The old guys would yell at you if you tried to clean it. You dumped it out, rinsed it in cold water, and then ran a new pot. I can verify it wasn't cleaned the entire 3-4 years i was there. Probably why i haven't caught the 'rona.

The data (and pretty much 99% of nutritional dietary/epidemiology data) is incredibly weak that a diet without animal protein is in any way “healthier” than one with animal protein/fat.

I'm not sure how you're interpreting data, but that is absurd. You've done a noble job of trying to turn the conversation from not eating meat to simply being "without animal protein."

Restricting red meat quickly reduces your saturated fat consumption, which in turn, drops your cholesterol level. That's immensely healthier.

Restricting red meat most likely lowers your weight due to it being so calorically dense. Lowering weight leads to numerous health benefits.

Restricting red meat reduces heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc. Not in any way healthier?

Restricting red meat lowers your chance of certain types of cancer.

And that is just the accepted diet and not the pseudo or controversial science regarding alkaline/acidic, skin, etc.

I'm not sure how you're interpreting data, but that is absurd. You've done a noble job of trying to turn the conversation from not eating meat to simply being "without animal protein."

Restricting red meat quickly reduces your saturated fat consumption, which in turn, drops your cholesterol level. That's immensely healthier.

Restricting red meat most likely lowers your weight due to it being so calorically dense. Lowering weight leads to numerous health benefits.

Restricting red meat reduces heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc. Not in any way healthier?

And that is just the accepted diet and not the pseudo or controversial science regarding alkaline/acidic, skin, etc.
tenor.gif

I think we’re on the same page. “Restricting” is a relative term, but I’m not on board that complete elimination is healthier.

Saturated fat and cholesterol importance is making a paradigm shift in some of the literature. Science is humbling, and when we think we might know something sometimes we don’t really know the truth. There are good scientists that disagree with cholesterol importance, and hard to tease it out from inflammatory states, etc that cause atherosclerosis.

I think processed carbs are worse than red meat, personally.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

From the article
“Coronary artery disease pathogenesis and treatment urgently requires a paradigm shift. Despite popular belief among doctors and the public, the conceptual model of dietary saturated fat clogging a pipe is just plain wrong. A landmark systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies showed no association between saturated fat consumption and (1) all-cause mortality, (2) coronary heart disease (CHD), (3) CHD mortality, (4) ischaemic stroke or (5) type 2 diabetes in healthy adults.1 Similarly in the secondary prevention of CHD there is no benefit from reduced fat, including saturated fat, on myocardial infarction, cardiovascular or all-cause mortality.2 It is instructive to note that in an angiographic study of postmenopausal women with CHD, greater intake of saturated fat was associated with less progression of atherosclerosis whereas carbohydrate and polyunsaturated fat intake were associated with greater progression.3

Cholesterol also has a U-shaped curve with regard to all cause mortality.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38461-y

Randomized trials have provided evidence that statin therapy may lower the overall mortality risk in persons with increased cardiovascular risk, mostly due to the reduction of mortality from heart disease5,6. The evidence, however, may not be definitive enough to claim that “the lower the cholesterol, the better” for all-cause mortality reduction in the general population with relatively low heart disease risk38.

It’s all incredibly complex. Sure - eating red meat for every meal prob not a good idea. Especially good to avoid processed meats.

Regarding the cancer claim that is still hard to pin down - as much of the red meat data is littered with smoked/processed meat that has been cured or has added preservatives. This is based on retrospective epidemiological studies with very low strength of evidence littered with known and unknown confounders (especially processed vs fresh meat). Again, limiting probably a good idea but magnitude of benefit hard to determine.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25941850/

no one knows this data better than Ioannidis. If you want to take a deep dive I’d recommend his work. He’s a giant in this field.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2698337

In summary, someone once said what’s the best dietary advice you could give in one PowerPoint slide..

Just Eat Real Food. If it’s not in a package or processed it’s probably not bad. Now go eat.

I think we’re on the same page. “Restricting” is a relative term, but I’m not on board that complete elimination is healthier.

Saturated fat and cholesterol importance is making a paradigm shift in some of the literature. Science is humbling, and when we think we might know something sometimes we don’t really know the truth. There are good scientists that disagree with cholesterol importance, and hard to tease it out from inflammatory states, etc that cause atherosclerosis.

I think processed carbs are worse than red meat, personally.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

From the article
“Coronary artery disease pathogenesis and treatment urgently requires a paradigm shift. Despite popular belief among doctors and the public, the conceptual model of dietary saturated fat clogging a pipe is just plain wrong. A landmark systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies showed no association between saturated fat consumption and (1) all-cause mortality, (2) coronary heart disease (CHD), (3) CHD mortality, (4) ischaemic stroke or (5) type 2 diabetes in healthy adults.1 Similarly in the secondary prevention of CHD there is no benefit from reduced fat, including saturated fat, on myocardial infarction, cardiovascular or all-cause mortality.2 It is instructive to note that in an angiographic study of postmenopausal women with CHD, greater intake of saturated fat was associated with less progression of atherosclerosis whereas carbohydrate and polyunsaturated fat intake were associated with greater progression.3

Cholesterol also has a U-shaped curve with regard to all cause mortality.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38461-y

Randomized trials have provided evidence that statin therapy may lower the overall mortality risk in persons with increased cardiovascular risk, mostly due to the reduction of mortality from heart disease5,6. The evidence, however, may not be definitive enough to claim that “the lower the cholesterol, the better” for all-cause mortality reduction in the general population with relatively low heart disease risk38.

It’s all incredibly complex. Sure - eating red meat for every meal prob not a good idea. Especially good to avoid processed meats.

Regarding the cancer claim that is still hard to pin down - as much of the red meat data is littered with smoked/processed meat that has been cured or has added preservatives. This is based on retrospective epidemiological studies with very low strength of evidence littered with known and unknown confounders (especially processed vs fresh meat). Again, limiting probably a good idea but magnitude of benefit hard to determine.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25941850/

no one knows this data better than Ioannidis. If you want to take a deep dive I’d recommend his work. He’s a giant in this field.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2698337

In summary, someone once said what’s the best dietary advice you could give in one PowerPoint slide..

Just Eat Real Food. If it’s not in a package or processed it’s probably not bad. Now go eat.
Doctor Carl, don't you know it's senseless to argue with the faux doc?

Reactions: ThunderCat98
So I put the pork on at 10 this morning at 225. 20 miles from home on atv ride now. Just turned temp up to 275 via app. Damn I love this grill.
Visited a neighbor a couple of days ago....he had one. Same story...put on the meat...went to bed and he served it the following evening. Loves it

Damn what time do you plan on eating 230am?
Just ate. Was pretty damn good. Monitored internal temp of pork via app while riding. Around 2 hours before getting home turned grill up to 275 to get internal temp of meat up. Damn I love this grille.

Just ate. Was pretty damn good. Monitored internal temp of pork via app while riding. Around 2 hours before getting home turned grill up to 275 to get internal temp of meat up. Damn I love this grille.

sorry if I missed it. What did you end up getting?

sorry if I missed it. What did you end up getting?
stuck in the mud and breaking the belt on my Polaris XP4 RZR. had to be towed back to my truck.
pork butt, pulled pork, added sweet baby rays. excellent.

Edit: traeger ironwood 885

stuck in the mud and breaking the belt on my Polaris XP4 RZR. had to be towed back to my truck.

that’s great. Good for you. That thing looks awesome.

Do you like to cook over all or just grill?

that’s great. Good for you. That thing looks awesome.

Do you like to cook over all or just grill?
Im by no means even a good cook. I like to cook, love to grill. I can follow the heck out of a recipe and can occasionally throw something together that really good. My biggest cooking issue is the lack of understanding of how to throw the proper ingredients together to make the taste pop.

Made a lasagna once that to this date is the best lasagna I've ever eaten. Have yet to figured out what I did to make it that damn good. It was for my sons birthday party probly 10 or 12 years ago. Everybody went crazy over it.

Im by no means even a good cook. I like to cook, love to grill. I can follow the heck out of a recipe and can occasionally throw something together that really good. My biggest cooking issue is the lack of understanding of how to throw the proper ingredients together to make the taste pop.

Made a lasagna once that to this date is the best lasagna I've ever eaten. Have yet to figured out what I did to make it that damn good. It was for my sons birthday party probly 10 or 12 years ago. Everybody went crazy over it.

I have a hand full of interesting recipes in some of my favorite cook books recently that call for a smoker. This one looks simple/easy as a nice little thing to eat while drinking beer.

From the guys at Joe Beef in Montreal.

Reactions: WV-FAN
I have a hand full of interesting recipes in some of my favorite cook books recently that call for a smoker. This one looks simple/easy as a nice little thing to eat while drinking beer.

From the guys at Joe Beef in Montreal.

Hmmm, thought of smoking nuts on one of these never crossed my mind. You just opened up a new realm of smoking for me. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
What temp Did you get up to?

like 202. recipe said 205. pork is done at 160? guess a little higher temp makes it easier to shred?
How big was your cut of meat? That just seems like a very quick cook time. And yes the higher temp makes the collagen melt making the pork more tender

Reactions: MarshallManiac

I watched a couple of those videos last night. That one boy was stuck in the mud pretty bad, and every time he gunned it, he got soaked with mud. Probably felt good to jump in the river branch to get cleaned up. I assume you rednecks weren't drinking any beers.

I watched a couple of those videos last night. That one boy was stuck in the mud pretty bad, and every time he gunned it, he got soaked with mud. Probably felt good to jump in the river branch to get cleaned up. I assume you rednecks weren't drinking any beers.
wrong on the assumption. that one boy is my son; he got covered. he was all cocky, was gonna blow that hole wide open. haha. he was the first to hit it. i dragged the 6 seat polaris ranger out then blew the hole open. that was about 5 mins before hitting the second easier hole and breaking the belt. the creek was a god send after that mess.

How big was your cut of meat? That just seems like a very quick cook time. And yes the higher temp makes the collagen melt making the pork more tender
it wasn't a huge cut, can't remember the lbs, but think it was around 3 or 4. the size was about 10" x 10" x 8", give or take. didn't get as much meat from it as i thought i would, didn't have much at all left over (6 people).

Reactions: herdfan429
I did a pork butt(7#'s) this weekend on my ZGrill, 13 hours at 225, wrapped in butcher paper after 7 hrs., turned up to 275 for the last hour. I injected it with apple juice and used a rub on it, the meat was so tender and juicy!! The ability to maintain temp is amazing with these pellet smokers.

I did a pork butt(7#'s) this weekend on my ZGrill, 13 hours at 225, wrapped in butcher paper after 7 hrs., turned up to 275 for the last hour. I injected it with apple juice and used a rub on it, the meat was so tender and juicy!! The ability to maintain temp is amazing with these pellet smokers.
even more amazing is the ability to make changes while yore however far from home via the app. the one i made was a bit on the dry side (but still pretty awesome) i think because i wasn't there to baby sit it and inject it.

i did burgers last evening and they were absolutely some of the best i've ever made, and i make a pretty mean burger otherwise. anyhoo, i wanted to super smoke (an option on the traeger for those who don't know) the burgers for 25 or 30 mins at 225 and then finish them off at 500. kids got too excited though and had the fries and mac n cheese ready before i even put the burgers on the grill, so i just fired it up to 500 and did them for about 4 to 5 mins per side. still pretty darn delicious.

my son told me that if we keep grilling like we have we'll have used this new one more in a month or two than we used the old gas/charcoal grille in the 10 years we've had it. ha. my biggest issue at this point is i live an hour from the nearest good butcher shop.

now, what's for dinner this evening . . .

Reactions: imherdfan
even more amazing is the ability to make changes while yore however far from home via the app. the one i made was a bit on the dry side (but still pretty awesome) i think because i wasn't there to baby sit it and inject it.

i did burgers last evening and they were absolutely some of the best i've ever made, and i make a pretty mean burger otherwise. anyhoo, i wanted to super smoke (an option on the traeger for those who don't know) the burgers for 25 or 30 mins at 225 and then finish them off at 500. kids got too excited though and had the fries and mac n cheese ready before i even put the burgers on the grill, so i just fired it up to 500 and did them for about 4 to 5 mins per side. still pretty darn delicious.

my son told me that if we keep grilling like we have we'll have used this new one more in a month or two than we used the old gas/charcoal grille in the 10 years we've had it. ha. my biggest issue at this point is i live an hour from the nearest good butcher shop.

Smoke a pan of green beans with butter and bacon onion and garlic. You’ll thank me

Smoke a pan of green beans with butter and bacon onion and garlic. You’ll thank me
i'll give it a shot. i'm down for trying anything on the smoker. i'm thinking of doing the beer can chicken again this evening. did it friday evening for my son and i while the wife and daughter was at the beach trying their luck with the covid. may just pick up some breasts and thighs, though, and smoke those instead.

have you used/bought any of the traeger seasonings? my favorite seasonings of all time are JO seasoning (seafood, WAY better than old bay) and buttrub seasoning. i'm afraid i'm going to wear everybody out (and maybe myself) if i keep using the buttrub seasoning like i have, though. what seasonings do you recommend?

i'll give it a shot. i'm down for trying anything on the smoker. i'm thinking of doing the beer can chicken again this evening. did it friday evening for my son and i while the wife and daughter was at the beach trying their luck with the covid. may just pick up some breasts and thighs, though, and smoke those instead.

have you used/bought any of the traeger seasonings? my favorite seasonings of all time are JO seasoning (seafood, WAY better than old bay) and buttrub seasoning. i'm afraid i'm going to wear everybody out (and maybe myself) if i keep using the buttrub seasoning like i have, though. what seasonings do you recommend?
Screw the chicken. Buy you a big damn ham, and smoke that sumdabeotch. You can do all kinds of crazy shit with a ham. Just smother it with whatever, poke it with cloves, pour some bourbon over it. ****, just anything. brown sugar and bourbon, with some mustard. Just grab some shit out of the fridge and pour it on. smoke that pig all damn day on low heat. just don't pass out, or you'll have nothing but a piglet left in the morning.

I don’t have remote capability with mine. Get some unwaxed butcher paper to wrap in instead of foil. I read about that in a book by the owner of Franklin BBQ from AustinTX. I bought a roll of it from Amazon.

If you like the smoke flavor buy a smoke tube. You throw some pellets in and light them get the smoldering to add some smoke flavor. As far as seasonings go I usually make my own, there are plenty of recipes all over the internet and it’s easy to tweak if you don’t like it.

Ended up buying a traeger this evening. Ironwood 885. The big one. Got it from my buddy for close to 30% les than retail. Seasoning it as I type.
I have a Camp Chef. Use it several times a week. I go to Traeger's recipes. They have one for just about anything.

Curious to know how these pellet grills perform with normal grilling - hamburgers, steaks, pork chops etc. Does it get as hot as a charcoal grill?
I have a Traeger. I use it to slow cook/smoke meats on a long cook. Most of these cuts have lots of fat and therefore grease. Now watch some cooking shows which also smoke meats and look at their pits. Most are filled with that grease / soot Many say that’s where the flavor comes from. Now if you fire up that pit to a hotter temperature that grease will catch fire and create black and not good smoke and the food is horrible. So unless you want to clean your pit spot free after every cook, ( and reduce the flavor) you should use another grill made for hotter temps. Really 2 different tools.
At least that’s what I’ve found

I have a Traeger. I use it to slow cook/smoke meats on a long cook. Most of these cuts have lots of fat and therefore grease. Now watch some cooking shows which also smoke meats and look at their pits. Most are filled with that grease / soot Many say that’s where the flavor comes from. Now if you fire up that pit to a hotter temperature that grease will catch fire and create black and not good smoke and the food is horrible. So unless you want to clean your pit spot free after every cook, ( and reduce the flavor) you should use another grill made for hotter temps. Really 2 different tools.
good advice. i used the traeger to cook burgers the other evening; time for a good cleaning. those were some damn good juicy burgers, though.

Gotta call bullshit on this i use my Traeger for everything and it does well. The smoke is what imparts the flavor not burnt on grease

Gotta call bullshit on this i use my Traeger for everything and it does well. The smoke is what imparts the flavor not burnt on grease

What he’s saying makes sense to me.

The smoke flavor you want is derived from the wood. The smoke you get with many fats heated to high temps (“the smoke point”) can give you off flavors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT